MLB 13: The Show - March 5, 2013 - Cover Athlete Is Andrew McCutchen

Preordered both from Amazon, got the $20 off. I wish it would have been cross buy, but only having to pay $20 extra for the Vita version is worth it.

I have an insane backlog and in the last three days alone I have picked up all 4 Sly Cooper games and Ni No Kuni for the PS3.

Yet all I can think about is playing this game next week. I always look forward to it but for some reason even more so this year. Not because of any upgrades since it actually appears to be somewhat minimal compared to years past (even though The Show Live looks pretty sweet), I just think I honestly may try to not get sucked into RTTS like I do every year and actually play a full season across the PS3 and Vita.

[quote name='chriscolbert']It's why I got one five years ago and I haven't regretted it since (even though I still get 2K for the 360 because I'm a baseball junkie and it's not THAT bad).

I absolutely cannot wait until the 5th![/QUOTE]

I can't stand 2k because there's no progress on anything. Every year, I'm sucked into buying it, but there's no difference.

Have any of the previous MLB The Show games dropped close to release date?

[quote name='Yanksfan']Preordered both from Amazon, got the $20 off. I wish it would have been cross buy, but only having to pay $20 extra for the Vita version is worth it.[/QUOTE]

The show will be first day digital on PSN....

i need my baseball fix sadly still a week away. Was hoping 2k would have a demo i could play till then but looks like they are scared to put out a demo this year so people don't play it and run away faster then ever to buy the show lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/28/the-evolution-of-road-to-the-show/

Details on what's new/different in Road to the Show:
Hey baseball fans, Kirby St. John here to talk about the evolution of our popular Road To The Show mode in MLB 13 The Show. Our big emphases this year were to focus more on your player’s progress and achievements, and to better immerse you in the on-field action to give you the sense that you are actually on the field playing ball. Check out the video and then read on for more detailed information about the mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpb3orZ8fA

A few things that we want to make sure you are aware of:

The fielding and baserunning cameras have been completely revamped to give you a more accurate and realistic on-field perspective. New fielding controls have been added to give you more of a challenge (if desired) and more to do at certain positions. A new simulator screen has been added and will display in between your player’s appearances. You have the option to choose from three different simulation speeds, as well as power to skip, or “Complete,” the simulation to get to your next appearance instantly. You can even “Watch” the game from your player’s location, so if you want to jump in and watch your team from the dugout while they are rallying, you can do that.

We really tried to focus on the presentation in RTTS as you are now placed in a first-person audio perspective. What that means is you are no longer going to hear commentators during the play. Instead, you are immersed in the sounds around your player, including other on-field players, coaches, dugouts, umpires, the crowd, and your own player’s sound effects.

On the menu side of things, you now have the ability to fully customize your player’s batting animations in the Create/Edit Player menu. This means you can now choose things like his follow-through, walk-up, stride, home run swing, and more.

To give you a quick rundown of what wasn’t covered, here’s what else we added:

You will be given training points for certain major achievements in your career, such as your first Major League home run or if you hit for the cycle. Advancement Goals have been reevaluated in some cases to prevent some common complaints. For example, pitchers will no longer have any batting goals, and some statistical expectations have been lessened to make them slightly easier to achieve. If you are playing as a catcher, you will experience a much quicker and more streamlined pitch-calling system. Lastly, if you are watching the game from the dugout, the camera will no longer cut to the broadcast fielding camera when the ball is put in play. Instead, you will watch the play unfold from the dugout perspective, just like real life.

We are really excited about all of these additions and improvements to Road To The Show, and we cannot wait for you to play it yourself on March 5th.

Didn't buy the last one (after getting it the previous few years) but I might go for both versions this year. Just not sure whether to go digital or disc. I love the idea of having the game on the hdd but I also really like the idea of saving $20 by going physical.

[quote name='natureboy46']Didn't buy the last one (after getting it the previous few years) but I might go for both versions this year. Just not sure whether to go digital or disc. I love the idea of having the game on the hdd but I also really like the idea of saving $20 by going physical.[/QUOTE]
You can essentially also do that on PSN with the new March Savings promo where you get $10 back for every $50 you spend. Getting the PS3 and Vita versions on PSN would be $100, so you'd get $20 back to make it $80 for both games.

my gamestop is having midnight release for tomb raider so i called and they said i can pick up the game at that time also. looks like i will not be getting much sleep monday night and tues

Loving the improvements of Road to the Show. It's the only mode i really get to devote much time to and it's looking better than ever. The 5th of March can't come soon enough!

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Loving the improvements of Road to the Show. It's the only mode i really get to devote much time to and it's looking better than ever. The 5th of March can't come soon enough![/QUOTE]

most of my time is spent on franchise mode. This year once season starts it will spent playing mlb today and now road to the show looks super good with the additions.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You can essentially also do that on PSN with the new March Savings promo where you get $10 back for every $50 you spend. Getting the PS3 and Vita versions on PSN would be $100, so you'd get $20 back to make it $80 for both games.[/QUOTE]

Good point - didn't think of that. Love the flexibility of digital, although hate having to constantly delete stuff off my vita memory card - they really need to cut the price and release a 64gb.

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm. So I could buy MLB13 via PSN for $60 and get $10 back? That's not too bad. It's effectively the only deal out there.[/QUOTE]

not really amazon and gamestop are giving ingame stuff worth ten bucks. Yes it's not money back but it's in game product which in my mind is better then money back. When i get amazon credit from games i end up using it to get points for dlc for the game i got anyways.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']most of my time is spent on franchise mode. This year once season starts it will spent playing mlb today and now road to the show looks super good with the additions.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I've never even tried RTTS, but will prob start with that this year.

I'm guessing that Gamestop is the only place that has a pre order bonus for the vita?
Does anyone else have any additional info on the RTTS money and how that works. I've never used that feature before.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Yea, I've never even tried RTTS, but will prob start with that this year.[/QUOTE]
Weird. Road to the Show is the reason I keep coming back every year since it's the only thing I really play.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']most of my time is spent on franchise mode. This year once season starts it will spent playing mlb today and now road to the show looks super good with the additions.[/QUOTE]

I played Franchise a bit in MLB 09 and 10 but it is a major timesink and i don't think i've ever completed a single 162-game season. I'll definitely try to return to it this year if i'm not too bogged down with work for school

[quote name='Heavyd814life']I played Franchise a bit in MLB 09 and 10 but it is a major timesink and i don't think i've ever completed a single 162-game season. I'll definitely try to return to it this year if i'm not too bogged down with work for school[/QUOTE]

i play two franchises every year. The one i do for a real franchise i do like 40 games 162 is way too many. 2nd franchise i do it a full season and play game by game as the season goes, But with the game now having mlb today that might end and just use that to play my teams games every day they play.

So nobody has picked it up yet? Mine will be waiting for me when I get home and I cannot wait!

I'm sure this is a long shot, but I preordered from Amazon and have no interest in the Diamond Dynasty preorder bonus. If anyone preordered from Gamestop (maybe you had credit to burn?) and would rather have the Amazon bonus instead of the RTTS one Gamestop offered, please message me.

I had an order with Amazon, but I cancelled it after seeing that it still hasn't shipped. I'll just pick it up at Best Buy on the way home tomorrow.

let's hope ps4 don't make you install game deta lol i always do it makes game run better and it's 5 gb for this game and took 20 mins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY SONY

Ended up buying this off of PSN and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I've never been one to try out the PCI batting mode, but it's really working for me in this year's game.

I like the way that they've made Road to the Show's presentation more personal with the removal of commentary and the way they go from the boxscore screen between your plays to your spot on the field. I was never a big fan of the PCI (Plate Coverage Indicator, or that weird circle batting mode in past games) method of batting, but it's working well for me so far.

I think I'll do some streaming of my Road to the Show play in an hour or so if anybody here wants to watch and see it in action, though I'll also take requests for things to show and such.

Really enjoying the improvements to RttS so far. Fielding is much more fun/challenging now, especially if you turn on the feature where you have to hit L2 to catch the ball. The presentation has been improved greatly in RttS as well, the sweeping camera from the game simulation screen to your player is a nice effect.

So far I really only have a few complaints about the game. The biggest one is the pitcher stuttering at a pitches release that happens once in a while. Not sure if you guys have had that happen yet but it's a fairly widespread problem with people on OS and I have had it happen to me numerous times already as well. It basically makes hitting impossible when it happens, the way it throws off your timing is too much to recover from, usually causes me to strikeout, which happens enough to me under fair conditions thank you very much lol. I have both the PS3 and Vita versions and it only happens to me on the PS3 version. Speaking of the Vita version, vastly improved from last years game. The graphics and framerate are both vastly improved from last year. Also the size of the baseball itself has been shrunk to a more natural looking size. It's still bigger than it is on the PS3 (which given the Vita screen size I understand) but it's no longer a frickin beachball out there on the field lol. So add that to the rest of the game's improvements from last year and it's a great game on the Vita.

The only other major issue I've had is the CPU pitcher's first pitch variety. I think the CPU will throw their "X" pitch (aka their best pitch) about 90% of the time to leadoff your at-bat's. And usually the first pitches are straight meatballs as well. I am having a harder time working counts this year because of this this, if I don't swing at the first two pitches of an at-bat I am find myself down 0-2 A LOT. Hopefully these things will be patched because if they are I have no doubt this will be the greatest baseball game of all-time.

Liking it so far, as usual, but the constant zooming across the field/swooshing sound in RTTS is one of the most annoying things I've ever come across in a video game.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Liking it so far, as usual, but the constant zooming across the field/swooshing sound in RTTS is one of the most annoying things I've ever come across in a video game.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think it really adds a nice touch. I love the game and RTTS!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Really? I think it really adds a nice touch. I love the game and RTTS![/QUOTE]
Same here. It's a better thing to have than the nothing that happened in past years.

the thing about rtts is that i would like them to have you in on every play on def. There are times they waste time to put you into the game and the ball is not even hit to you.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the thing about rtts is that i would like them to have you in on every play on def. There are times they waste time to put you into the game and the ball is not even hit to you.[/QUOTE]
That's the random element of the plays, as it knows that you could be involved on that play if everything goes right, but it doesn't always go right.

If you want to see every pitch or the final pitches on defense, then set it to do that. I don't know what else to tell you but that. User Settings > Mode Specific > RTTS Game Watch

[quote name='cgarb84']Really enjoying the improvements to RttS so far. Fielding is much more fun/challenging now, especially if you turn on the feature where you have to hit L2 to catch the ball. The presentation has been improved greatly in RttS as well, the sweeping camera from the game simulation screen to your player is a nice effect.

So far I really only have a few complaints about the game. The biggest one is the pitcher stuttering at a pitches release that happens once in a while. Not sure if you guys have had that happen yet but it's a fairly widespread problem with people on OS and I have had it happen to me numerous times already as well. It basically makes hitting impossible when it happens, the way it throws off your timing is too much to recover from, usually causes me to strikeout, which happens enough to me under fair conditions thank you very much lol. I have both the PS3 and Vita versions and it only happens to me on the PS3 version. Speaking of the Vita version, vastly improved from last years game. The graphics and framerate are both vastly improved from last year. Also the size of the baseball itself has been shrunk to a more natural looking size. It's still bigger than it is on the PS3 (which given the Vita screen size I understand) but it's no longer a frickin beachball out there on the field lol. So add that to the rest of the game's improvements from last year and it's a great game on the Vita.

The only other major issue I've had is the CPU pitcher's first pitch variety. I think the CPU will throw their "X" pitch (aka their best pitch) about 90% of the time to leadoff your at-bat's. And usually the first pitches are straight meatballs as well. I am having a harder time working counts this year because of this this, if I don't swing at the first two pitches of an at-bat I am find myself down 0-2 A LOT. Hopefully these things will be patched because if they are I have no doubt this will be the greatest baseball game of all-time.[/QUOTE]

Fastballs are overwhelmingly the first pitch in an at-bat, and pitchers are throwing first pitch strikes more frequently now than they were, say, 10 years ago. It's why strikeout rates are rising, and is a big reason why offense is down across baseball.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's the random element of the plays, as it knows that you could be involved on that play if everything goes right, but it doesn't always go right.

If you want to see every pitch or the final pitches on defense, then set it to do that. I don't know what else to tell you but that. User Settings > Mode Specific > RTTS Game Watch[/QUOTE]

Watching/being a part of every pitch would be boring as friggin hell!

I am loving the game, but the stuttering issue is bad. It typically happens several times a game for me and even in the menus it seems like the PS3 is struggling to load the info because the music often stutters when something is being loaded. Weird considering that has never been a problem before.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Watching/being a part of every pitch would be boring as friggin hell![/QUOTE]

not really it's no diff then playing full games outside of rts.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I am loving the game, but the stuttering issue is bad. It typically happens several times a game for me and even in the menus it seems like the PS3 is struggling to load the info because the music often stutters when something is being loaded. Weird considering that has never been a problem before.[/QUOTE]

to be honest ingame stuttering has been going on in this game for years on seems like something diff every year. Last year the ball would stutter random points and this year seems it's the pitcher

[quote name='crunchewy']So if I want to get MLB The Show on the cheap, should I get MLB 10? Is that the best past version?[/QUOTE]

I firmly believe that they get better every year. If you can get 12 for what you consider cheap then I'd say that since it has two years of improvements over 10. Unlike Madden, The Show development team actually make decent changes from year to year. The improvement to ball physics that was introduced last year was a huge improvement that gave unlimited hit variety. I mean if the cheapest for 12 right now is $20 and you could get 10 for $5 (I'm just making numbers up), then maybe it's not worth it to you if you're just a casual fan.

I haven't played an MLB game since the initial release on the PS3 but was thinking of getting back into the series this year. Was going to check out a used copy of 11 or 12 first from GS/EB before buying the newest one. Any huge improvements/features that they have made this year in the game? Also is there any type of online pass or 'project $5' content in 13 or the previous years? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I haven't played an MLB game since the initial release on the PS3 but was thinking of getting back into the series this year. Was going to check out a used copy of 11 or 12 first from GS/EB before buying the newest one. Any huge improvements/features that they have made this year in the game? Also is there any type of online pass or 'project $5' content in 13 or the previous years? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I'm a newbie to the PS3 baseball world, and I have MLB 11 and 13, but haven't played them enough to give you answers as to what are huge improvements, but MLB 13 DOES have a online pass for stuff like Diamond Dynasty.

Speaking of Diamond Dynasty, that is NOT in MLB 11, and it would not work anyway since servers are down for MLB 11.

I've had this since day 1 but just got around to playing it today. Jumped straight into RTTS and played for 4 straight hours and was reminded why this is by far the best sports game on the market. Love the improvements but RTTS is definitely a little easier than i remember it being in 12... i absolutely crushed the pitching in Double-A and my player was promoted to Triple-A after just 11 games. I remember waiting 20+ games to hit my first HR in 12 but i homered on the very first pitch my player saw (fastball down and in). To anyone who's on the fence about buying The Show, hop off the fence and buy it. It's worth every penny

Just ordered through the Sonyrewards site. For some reason the 30/40/50% coupon was working, and my account was 40%, so it was like 3600 points only. I had enough to pay in full. Nice....

[quote name='doubledown']Just ordered through the Sonyrewards site. For some reason the 30/40/50% coupon was working, and my account was 40%, so it was like 3600 points only. I had enough to pay in full. Nice....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this, it made me remember that I had some points left there and I redeemed them for the game after the coupon. :bouncy:

Received my MLB13 The Show from Sony Rewards. 2 days! I cannot believe how fast they shipped it...awesome. I Suppose I should put it in and let it install for a while :)

bread's done
Back