MLB 2007 World Series and Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, they haven't released anything about Kennedy's death. As much as I hate to say it, I think it may be drug related. My guess is either a hard drug, such as cocaine or some type of performance enhancing one. The one thing that makes me think its drug related is that he dropped as he was leaving a room in his in-laws house.

Hopefully I am wrong, and it was an enlarged heart or something that wasn't caused due to drugs.

kerry wood signed a $4.25 mill deal with the cubs....for 1 year...up to $3mill in perfomance bonus to bring it to $7.25

bobby kielty might not come back to boston. He wants to be the 4th of. With ellsbury assumingly taking cocco's spot, untill cocco's traded he is the 4th guy. Personally I don't like kielty, and would love to keep crisp.

Kielty has had a shitty career and had a homer in the world series. whoop-dee-doo. Get rid of him indeed.

BTW enlarged heart is seemingly the cause of death... steroids probably :\

shocked about the Joe Kennedy death. I was in Connecticut when the news broke, but I live in Tampa and apparently it wasn't as big of news here as I thought it would be. When Kennedy came up, he was supposed to be the next big thing and fizzled out after a few years. The Rays have a way with ruining good young pitchers.

the race for santana is about to begin...ny post reports yanks are 3:1, redsox 4:1, angels 5:1, nymets are 8:1. Ny is reporting it will take melky and 2 other prospects...boston media is reporting it will be melky, cano and one of the 3 pitchers (joba,kennedy,hughes). Boston is being asked for ellsbury,pedroia, and 1 of the 3 pitchers (lester,buckholtz,masterson(he had a great year in double a low era lot of 10k games)). Allegedly boston is more willing to move crisp, 1 of the 3 pitchers and a mid level prospect.

Who ever picks him up will need to sign him to a long term contract. Personally, if I were the yanks or sox I wouldn't bother with it. It is a new twins gm, and he needs to rape you in order for his legacy to be intact. If the big teams aren't interested now, you can sign him to the same money you would need to throw at him now and keep your prospects. The mets really don't have the pieces to get the trade done. The angels do, but they are also trying to get cabrera from the marlins. If the get cabrera they will have had to drain there supply of blue chip prospects. There will be a lot of speculation, but I hope the redsox don't overpay for a 29 year old in order to keep him from the yanks. Shit NY radio was practically reporting the deal was done yesterday, let them overpay for him.

Red Sox should go for Haren from Oakland. Get roughly the same stats as Santana at a fraction of the annual salary for the next 3 years and probably even give up less in prospects for him.

[quote name='dopa345']Red Sox should go for Haren from Oakland. Get roughly the same stats as Santana at a fraction of the annual salary for the next 3 years and probably even give up less in prospects for him.[/QUOTE]

knowing the mets want haren too and Beane's asking price for it...i bet he will go for the farm for Haren...meaning he would want a combo of lester,okajima,hansen,ellsbury,pedroia..or anyone else in Sox's farm i dont know about. Haren would be a nice addition to any rotation.

I find it hard to believe that oakland realistically could get more then 1 of those players listed. Haren, according to espn, will comand 3 - 4 prospects of lesser value then santana. There is also talk that getting haren, would also require the team takes street/or blanton. The mets don't have the prospects, the players they thought were great didn't really pan out in limited action at the mlb level, thus there value dropped (hello miledge)

ever player listed, besides hansen, have locked up a spot on the mlb roster next year. The sox do have 3 - 4 top blue chip pitching prospects besides buckholtz and lester. They also have several pitchers that could be a 3 - 4 on most mlb rosters (lenny dinardo/kason gabbard like) They also have a fair amount of single a pitching prospects that might be on the double a roster this year.

allegedly very close to happening

The Minnesota Twins and Tampa Bay Rays are close to a swap of two potential future stars.

7823.jpg
Garza

7467.jpg
Young

The Twins would acquire outfielder Delmon Young in exchange for right-hander Matt Garza, sources told ESPN.com's Keith Law.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3131988

there was a rays fan in the mlb 2k7 board on the 360 talking about how great the rays were going to be, and how great young was going to be. Granted he had a very good rookie season, but he was far from great. And the rays were the worst team in baseball again. The pirates were 2 or 3 games better and the royals were 3 or 4 games better. I find is suprising that they are only trading him straight up for 1 pitcher. If he has the talent that the likes of gammons claims he has, why would they want a .500 pitcher on a team that is fair amount better then the team he is going to.

[quote name='integralsmatic']knowing the mets want haren too and Beane's asking price for it...i bet he will go for the farm for Haren...meaning he would want a combo of lester,okajima,hansen,ellsbury,pedroia..or anyone else in Sox's farm i dont know about. Haren would be a nice addition to any rotation.[/QUOTE]

If Lester plus up to 2 any other young players not named Pedroia, Ellsbury or Buchholz would do it, then I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

[quote name='ryanbph']the race for santana is about to begin...ny post reports yanks are 3:1, redsox 4:1, angels 5:1, nymets are 8:1. Ny is reporting it will take melky and 2 other prospects...boston media is reporting it will be melky, cano and one of the 3 pitchers (joba,kennedy,hughes). Boston is being asked for ellsbury,pedroia, and 1 of the 3 pitchers (lester,buckholtz,masterson(he had a great year in double a low era lot of 10k games)). Allegedly boston is more willing to move crisp, 1 of the 3 pitchers and a mid level prospect.

Who ever picks him up will need to sign him to a long term contract. Personally, if I were the yanks or sox I wouldn't bother with it. It is a new twins gm, and he needs to rape you in order for his legacy to be intact. If the big teams aren't interested now, you can sign him to the same money you would need to throw at him now and keep your prospects. The mets really don't have the pieces to get the trade done. The angels do, but they are also trying to get cabrera from the marlins. If the get cabrera they will have had to drain there supply of blue chip prospects. There will be a lot of speculation, but I hope the redsox don't overpay for a 29 year old in order to keep him from the yanks. Shit NY radio was practically reporting the deal was done yesterday, let them overpay for him.[/quote]

If the Twins new GM feels Melky Cabrera can be the centerpiece of any deal for Johan Santana he needs to get a clue.

As for the Garza-Young deal, I have to believe the only reason the Devil Rays would trade Young would be because of his off the field problems. They have invested too much money in his development for it to be anything else.

[quote name='integralsmatic']knowing the mets want haren too and Beane's asking price for it...i bet he will go for the farm for Haren...meaning he would want a combo of lester,okajima,hansen,ellsbury,pedroia..or anyone else in Sox's farm i dont know about. Haren would be a nice addition to any rotation.[/quote]

He won't be asking for the farm. Beane will make you take Eric Chavez's contract in any deal.

[quote name='paddlefoot']He won't be asking for the farm. Beane will make you take Eric Chavez's contract in any deal.[/QUOTE]
it looks like they are trying to tie blanton in the deal...

well the sox have implied he is untouchable...they do have cocco and moss and in theory to keep johan away from the yanks, they might do it. They would then have the best 1 - 2 with beckett and santana locked up for a good 4 or so years (assuming johan gets a 6 or 7 year extension). Personally I wouldn't do it. I would trade lester, cocco and a b level prospect for him if I had to trade for him. I personally think that he won't get traded this offseason, unless the yanks grossly overpay for him in prospects. He is a free agent next year. The mets don't have the prospects, and the angels don't have the prospects if they get caberea. That would leave the yanks and redsox as the only teams interested with the prospects available. Why trade 3 - 4 good quality players for a guy that you could sign next offseason. Most likely you will have to pay roughly as much now to sign him as you would in the open market. If you aren't going to be saving a ton of capital, then why trade a shitload of top level prospects you have, when you can sign him without losing anyone next fall/winter.

[quote name='ryanbph']well the sox have implied he is untouchable...they do have cocco and moss and in theory to keep johan away from the yanks, they might do it. They would then have the best 1 - 2 with beckett and santana locked up for a good 4 or so years (assuming johan gets a 6 or 7 year extension). Personally I wouldn't do it. I would trade lester, cocco and a b level prospect for him if I had to trade for him. I personally think that he won't get traded this offseason, unless the yanks grossly overpay for him in prospects. He is a free agent next year. The mets don't have the prospects, and the angels don't have the prospects if they get caberea. That would leave the yanks and redsox as the only teams interested with the prospects available. Why trade 3 - 4 good quality players for a guy that you could sign next offseason. Most likely you will have to pay roughly as much now to sign him as you would in the open market. If you aren't going to be saving a ton of capital, then why trade a shitload of top level prospects you have, when you can sign him without losing anyone next fall/winter.[/QUOTE]

thats what i thought...i know the mets dont have enough. the trade the twins want is reyes+prospects for santana....that wont go through at all...I remember ESPN saying something that his trade value isnt that high due to the contract..and it will only get smaller by the trading deadline. if they were gonna trade em..they should have done that last year. any team would have showered the twins with prospects...but they waited too long.
I agree..i dont think the sox need him. Their prospects are already showing promise for years to come..and to give that for santana.....no.

the yanks are allegedly interested in aarron rowand....they have told his agent that a cf space might be available and they are interested in meeting with him...

A little birdie says the Boston Red Sox have become the favorite in the Johan Santana trade sweepstakes.

The Twins would receive four players for the Twins' two-time Cy Young Award winner, including center fielder Coco Crisp, 28.

Others would be shortstop prospect Jed Lowry, 23; left-handed pitcher Jon Lester, 23; and right-handed pitcher Justin Masterson, 22.

The New York Yankees don't have the prospects available who the Twins figure have a reasonable chance to play in the major leagues by the end of 2008.
http://www.twincities.com/ci_7584709?nclick_check=1

i have heard that on weei...interesting, sounds like a minn leak, and it might not be something the sox have offered...I am fine with trading cocco. I would prefer to trade buckholtz over lester. Lester is a lefty, he does have control issues, but he is solid and besides cancer has been durable. Buckholtz is really thin frame, and I would prefer to move him as I don't know how durable he will be long term. He does have much better control then lester, so maybe that will keep his pitch count better over the long term.

The other 2 prospects are interesting...lowrie is a ss, played at triple and double a last year and had a great offensive and defensive season. At triple a 40games, .300 with 5 homers..in 93 games in double a he hit .297 with 8 homers...lugo sucks and is going to get worse, and as far as I know, there is no other ss prospect that will be ready anytime soon.......Masterson is a beast...6 ft 6 or 7 inches...240lbs, a workhorse inn eater...made 10 starts in portland...4 - 3 with a 4.34 era...58 inn pitched with 59 k's...a sinker ball pitcher with mid 90's fastball...and is only 23 years old...If I could I would take lester and masterson out of the mix and add buckholtz and a guy like abe alvarez or david pauley

[quote name='ryanbph']i have heard that on weei...interesting, sounds like a minn leak, and it might not be something the sox have offered...I am fine with trading cocco. I would prefer to trade buckholtz over lester. Lester is a lefty, he does have control issues, but he is solid and besides cancer has been durable. Buckholtz is really thin frame, and I would prefer to move him as I don't know how durable he will be long term. He does have much better control then lester, so maybe that will keep his pitch count better over the long term.

The other 2 prospects are interesting...lowrie is a ss, played at triple and double a last year and had a great offensive and defensive season. At triple a 40games, .300 with 5 homers..in 93 games in double a he hit .297 with 8 homers...lugo sucks and is going to get worse, and as far as I know, there is no other ss prospect that will be ready anytime soon.......Masterson is a beast...6 ft 6 or 7 inches...240lbs, a workhorse inn eater...made 10 starts in portland...4 - 3 with a 4.34 era...58 inn pitched with 59 k's...a sinker ball pitcher with mid 90's fastball...and is only 23 years old...If I could I would take lester and masterson out of the mix and add buckholtz and a guy like abe alvarez or david pauley[/quote]

Clay isn't going anywhere but the sox starting rotation. I will take his thin frame over a 25 year old with control problems any day of the week. Masteron is a good prospect, but his AA stats are a little screwed. A lot of them were from 4-5 stats mid-season where he pitched out of his mind. I like him as a prospect, but he still just a prospect. Jed Lowrie is a nice prospect as well.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but remember that Clay is 6'3", still young, and can probably add weight. Even Roger Clemens was skinny at one point.

And its Buchholz

well lester did have cancer, and didn't get to workout in the offseason like other pitchers. He hasn't had as much of a control problems in the minors as he had at the majors and he is a power throwing lefty. Keep in mind he was 7 - 2 the year he got cancer, with an era around 3.00 going into his last 2 - 3 starts before he went on the DL. Lester is only a year older and a lefty. Buckholtz has already had tender shoulder issues. He pitched against some pretty weak teams, and his sample size isn't as large as lesters. Do I want to trade buckholtz, no, but I have more faith in lester at this point then in buckholtz. His trade value will never be greater then it is right now. Lester should be back hitting 95mph on the gun next year.

Masterson only had 10 starts at double a, so if 1/2 of them were incredible, I don't think you can toss them out. I don't know if he started in single a last season or not.

The Red Sox and Twins are discussing the framework of a Johan Santana deal that would have Boston sending four players to Minnesota in return for the two-time Cy Young Award winner, including center fielder Coco Crisp, pitcher Jon Lester and minor-league shortstop Jed Lowrie, the trio that would to anchor the deal.

Red Sox pitcher Michael Bowden has been discussed as a possible fourth player, sources say, but the identity of the fourth player is in flux.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3133598

Lester projects as a #3 where Masterson still projects as a #2. I'd be happy to deal Lester as his value is a little inflated right now. I doubt his value will be this high again. Lowrie is nice but he's no Ellsbury, and Bowden is behind Masterson.

If they get Santana without dealing away Ellsbury or Buchholz, its a steal.

As for who I'd rather have between Lester and Buchholz, its Buchholz without thinking twice. I'm even taking Masterson over Lester right now. He's a young lefty, good stuff, beat cancer, etc, but at the end of the day he's still only going to be a #3, and you can get guys like that.

many in the sox organization see lester as a 1 or 2, and that he will develop into a better pitcher then paplebon...personally I would prefer that bowden is traded over masterson...the other issue is that santana is looking for 6 year $150 mill deal. That is over $21 mill per season. If he gets hurt for a year that is a lot to eat.

I also think that buckholtz value is over valued...he no hit a weak hitting orioles team, and pitched well vs the orioles and blue jays in other appearances...neither team had any real offensive threat and neither are disciplined at the plate.

[quote name='ryanbph']many in the sox organization see lester as a 1 or 2, and that he will develop into a better pitcher then paplebon...personally I would prefer that bowden is traded over masterson...the other issue is that santana is looking for 6 year $150 mill deal. That is over $21 mill per season. If he gets hurt for a year that is a lot to eat.

I also think that buckholtz value is over valued...he no hit a weak hitting orioles team, and pitched well vs the orioles and blue jays in other appearances...neither team had any real offensive threat and neither are disciplined at the plate.[/QUOTE]
I don't see Lester approaching Papelbon's level. I agree on Bowden/Masterson, though. I see Buchholz as having #1/#2 potential, he might be one of the top 10 pitching prospects in baseball.

Ouch, Pettitte just retired. Another blow to the Yankees.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't see Lester approaching Papelbon's level. I agree on Bowden/Masterson, though. I see Buchholz as having #1/#2 potential, he might be one of the top 10 pitching prospects in baseball.

Ouch, Pettitte just retired. Another blow to the Yankees.[/quote]

yeah im sure its 'another blow'. him and clemens are getting too old anyway. weve kept all of our other players, so i dont know what other blows you are referring to. besides, their just making some room for santana :)

[quote name='omgu8myrice']yeah im sure its 'another blow'. him and clemens are getting too old anyway. weve kept all of our other players, so i dont know what other blows you are referring to. besides, their just making some room for santana :)[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees don't get Santana they have no starting pitching outside of the giant Wang for starters. If the Sox gets Santana I could easily see a world series repeat, if not the best regular season record easily.

[quote name='dafoomie']http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3133598

Lester projects as a #3 where Masterson still projects as a #2. I'd be happy to deal Lester as his value is a little inflated right now. I doubt his value will be this high again. Lowrie is nice but he's no Ellsbury, and Bowden is behind Masterson.

If they get Santana without dealing away Ellsbury or Buchholz, its a steal.

As for who I'd rather have between Lester and Buchholz, its Buchholz without thinking twice. I'm even taking Masterson over Lester right now. He's a young lefty, good stuff, beat cancer, etc, but at the end of the day he's still only going to be a #3, and you can get guys like that.[/quote]

I actually think Lester can be a #2 if he ever gets his control... under control. If he doesn't, he will be a 4-5 starter at best. He will have too many starts pitching only 5-6 innings.

On the Bowden/Masterson debate I am torn. Masterson had a better season. My issue is that when Masterson was 20 he was in college, Bowden was 20 when he was in Double A. He was one of the youngest players in the Eastern league in 2007. If this deal would happen then Minnesota will get which ever one they prefer.

OUCH to Andy Pettite retiring is right. He must be whipped.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
haha.gif
[/QUOTE]

repeated

the yanks are going to be knee deep if they cant find replacements for their rotation...if the sox get santana...ill be royally pissed because it just makes the AL's best team....a whole lot better. i mean to have Dice start at 3 and Schills at 4...and then a toss up at 5..with solid young pitching there...the Al East will become a joke for the sox.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']yeah im sure its 'another blow'. him and clemens are getting too old anyway. weve kept all of our other players, so i dont know what other blows you are referring to. besides, their just making some room for santana :)[/QUOTE]
Pettitte was an important part of a rotation that had no depth in the first place. He had a solid year, pitched a lot of innings, and he was always a big game pitcher.

What is their rotation now? Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Igawa, Mussina/Karstens? Looked a lot better with Pettitte, they don't have a lefty in the rotation right now.

[quote name='dafoomie']Pettitte was an important part of a rotation that had no depth in the first place. He had a solid year, pitched a lot of innings, and he was always a big game pitcher.

What is their rotation now? Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Igawa, Mussina/Karstens? Looked a lot better with Pettitte, they don't have a lefty in the rotation right now.[/QUOTE]

didnt they have this same exact problem a couple years ago?

[quote name='integralsmatic']didnt they have this same exact problem a couple years ago?[/QUOTE]
They've had this problem for a few years. And for a few years, they've lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. But I guess if Yankees fans are content simply to make the playoffs, it is not so much of a problem.

They've been nowhere near a championship pitching staff for a while now. Pettitte retired, Mussina is done, Clemens is gone. Wang is legit, Hughes and Chamberlain are good young pitchers, but they shouldn't be your #2 and #3 starters. And its trash after that.

imo, kennedy is the most major league ready of the big 3 from NY. He is solid and would be a decent 3 or 4 next season. I really am amazed at the belief of jobba's talent as a starter. His fastball lost 4 - 5 mph in his 2 appearances where he pitched more then an inn.

Wang is solid, but he is not a big game pitcher and shouldn't be a 1 on a world series team. I think he is a soft #2 on a team with expectations to winning the world series. Then again they do have an explosive offense.

[quote name='ryanbph']imo, kennedy is the most major league ready of the big 3 from NY. He is solid and would be a decent 3 or 4 next season. I really am amazed at the belief of jobba's talent as a starter. His fastball lost 4 - 5 mph in his 2 appearances where he pitched more then an inn.

Wang is solid, but he is not a big game pitcher and shouldn't be a 1 on a world series team. I think he is a soft #2 on a team with expectations to winning the world series. Then again they do have an explosive offense.[/QUOTE]
You're probably right, especially about Wang.

It'll be tough for the Yankees to put together a good pitching staff without Santana.

[quote name='ryanbph']imo, kennedy is the most major league ready of the big 3 from NY. He is solid and would be a decent 3 or 4 next season. I really am amazed at the belief of jobba's talent as a starter. His fastball lost 4 - 5 mph in his 2 appearances where he pitched more then an inn.

Wang is solid, but he is not a big game pitcher and shouldn't be a 1 on a world series team. I think he is a soft #2 on a team with expectations to winning the world series. Then again they do have an explosive offense.[/QUOTE]

Yep and Wang number 1 is just a multitude of reasons why they yanks wont win.....

Yeah i noticed that also...I think the Yanks are trying to groom him to be like Paplebon or something..and have kennedy and hughes as their future aces of the staff.

Wang won with great run support. Sure he did have great pitching games..but the yanks give all their pitchers decent run support which makes them looks good. I heard they are trying to look for a CF but they already have abreu..i dont know who else would they get....

[quote name='dafoomie']They've had this problem for a few years. And for a few years, they've lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. But I guess if Yankees fans are content simply to make the playoffs, it is not so much of a problem.

They've been nowhere near a championship pitching staff for a while now. Pettitte retired, Mussina is done, Clemens is gone. Wang is legit, Hughes and Chamberlain are good young pitchers, but they shouldn't be your #2 and #3 starters. And its trash after that.[/QUOTE]

agreed...without pettite the rotation is nothing. I think Pettite jumped from a sinking ship to save himself..and maybe for a return with the Stros..

Pettitte was 15-9 last year and right now is the only other reliable starter the Yankees had other than Wang. That is a blow if they lose him.

Reports are the Mets are trading Lastings Milledge to the Nats for Brian Schneider & Ryan Church. Johnny Estrada is expected to be non-tendered.

Brewers close to signing David Riske.

the mets trade is complete according to yahoo....what a horrible fucking trade the mets did. Schnieder is early 30's and can't hit to save his life. Church is 28/29 and a avg player. Millege put up similiar numbers as church (he played in 1/3rd the games, and he would have had more homers and similiar rbi numbers if he played the same amount if he remained consistent) I guess miledge trade value plummeted from a couple of years ago...

[quote name='ryanbph']the mets trade is complete according to yahoo....what a horrible fucking trade the mets did. Schnieder is early 30's and can't hit to save his life. Church is 28/29 and a avg player. Millege put up similiar numbers as church (he played in 1/3rd the games, and he would have had more homers and similiar rbi numbers if he played the same amount if he remained consistent) I guess miledge trade value plummeted from a couple of years ago...[/QUOTE]
Wow I am pissed they traded him away and got shit in return. They could have gave him more time to develop as he was coming on at the end of last year. Other stupid trade to add to the list of dumb Mets moves.

Why does Minaya still have a job? Anyone who trades Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano should be fired on the spot.

I remember wishing we had offered Bronson Arroyo for him the day it happened. He even had a better ERA than Zambrano that year.

[quote name='dafoomie']Why does Minaya still have a job? Anyone who trades Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano should be fired on the spot.[/QUOTE]

This is the same organization that had Steve Phillips as GM...and who knows how he got a job as the 'expert' on ESPN.

[quote name='dafoomie']Why does Minaya still have a job? Anyone who trades Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano should be fired on the spot.

I remember wishing we had offered Bronson Arroyo for him the day it happened. He even had a better ERA than Zambrano that year.[/QUOTE]

that was jim duqette who got rid of Kaz. Yeah im pissed right now..well this kills any deal to oakland now that milledge is gone. now its trading away gomez or F-Mart. Minaya is running thin right now. The Estrada trade..fine..but why give gold for garbage........Church is 7 years older and schneider sucks. If this was for Zimmerman..oh i would jumping out of my seat..but we couldnt even land a pitcher from them for milledge.Hell i woulda been happy to have Zambrano back than trade milledge. All this and we still get no pitching help. Minaya can suck the big one right now.

EDIT:

if my writing makes no sense...its because im pissed off. I got to see Milledge hit a seeing eye double up the middle to win a game last year with my met friends from facebook. I was hoping he would stay a met for a long time..now the nats have another person to look forward too.

[quote name='integralsmatic']that was jim duqette who got rid of Kaz.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, Dan Duquette's cousin. Giving Pedro 4 years is almost as bad.

well cashman gave damon 4 years at big money...not even 1/2 way thru he has be moved to lf....with the way he plays running into walls, and how often he plays injured. Take that with the fact the majority of his game is based off of speed, it was only a matter of time before it caught up to him

and lets not talk about theo's horrible free agent signings....jeremy giambi, matt clement (might have been ok if he wasn't hurt for 1 1/2 years on a 3 year contract), edgar renteria, julio lugo, and jd drew. Or his blunder with the normar trade. They were supposed to get a player to be named later when nomar and murton got traded to the cubs, but the redsox organization failed to complete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back