MLB (Baseball) Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why winning tonight is so important also because Carpenter is pitching Game 6. I wonder if it goes to 7 who the hell the Game 7 startes would be. Dont tell me Trachsel. Tonight's game is huge for the Mets. Looking ahead the Tigers are getting a lot of rest and time to prepare for either the Mets or the Cardinals. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how the Tigers ply after a long lay off.

while I was watching the end of game 4, the announcers seemed to think perez (i think that was his name) would start game 7 for the mets. The next day there was a story in my yahoo rss feed about traschel probably not starting game 7

I dont know if i would mind if Trachsel picthes...he had his nightmare outing the other day and chances are he should be well rested and ready to go...but, hopefully we take the next 2 and game 7 dosnt even matter;)

[quote name='Jedi1979']I dont know if i would mind if Trachsel picthes...he had his nightmare outing the other day and chances are he should be well rested and ready to go...but, hopefully we take the next 2 and game 7 dosnt even matter;)[/quote]

Would you rather him start game 7, if needed, and be shaky, and quickly replaced and get the win? Or would you rather him start game 1 of the WS if they win?

[quote name='craven_fiend']Would you rather him start game 7, if needed, and be shaky, and quickly replaced and get the win? Or would you rather him start game 1 of the WS if they win?[/quote]

good question, i would have to think about it...maybe it wont matter if El Duque comes back in time;)

From Fox Sports

Sidelined by a torn muscle in his right calf, El Duque threw 72 pitches during an encouraging bullpen session Sunday and could be back in time for the Fall Classic if New York gets past the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL championship series. "It's certainly a possibility, absolutely," pitching coach Rick Peterson said Monday. "Felt great, no discomfort, threw the ball well, commanded his pitches well. He's been throwing all along - very gingerly because of the leg, but he feels great."

[quote name='DomLando']I think it's good for the Mets. Gives Glavine and the pen more rest. I dont think it kills the momentum either. We will see. I should be going to Game 6 and if there is a 7 that too. That should be sweet.[/quote]

That's pretty cool. I got to go to game 2 of the NLDS and it was a great time.

I saw that el duque might be coming back. That would be awesome if he's healthy.

[quote name='ryanbph']while I was watching the end of game 4, the announcers seemed to think perez (i think that was his name) would start game 7 for the mets. The next day there was a story in my yahoo rss feed about traschel probably not starting game 7[/QUOTE]

ya oliver perez. he was mediocre at best. if he is going to pitch game seven than he better not be shaky as he was because he wont last long like maine did. great we are losing! down 2 runs late in the game.DO SOMETHING METS OFFENSE!

edit: great Valintin just struck out with men on 2nd and 3rd. the tunnel is getting darker.

GREAT! what a way for another let-down. well its back to queens for two games. i hope no more let downs happens because this is really shitty right now!

[quote name='integralsmatic']GREAT! what a way for another let-down. well its back to queens for two games. i hope no more let downs happens because this is really shitty right now![/QUOTE]
Yeah big let down tonight. I dont even know what else to say right now.

I don't think the mets have the pitching to win the nlcs. They have the offense, but a beatup bullpen, and your ace lost last night to jeff fucking weaver.

[quote name='ryanbph']I don't think the mets have the pitching to win the nlcs. They have the offense, but a beatup bullpen, and your ace lost last night to jeff fucking weaver.[/quote]

It's so depressing. Plus, the Cards have Carpenter going tonight. I do think that if they win tonight they are going to win the NLCS but it is not going to be easy. Wright needs to snap out of it - now. Also, it is so frustrating to lead the NL by 10 games for most of the year and have 2 of your best pitchers get hurt at the end of the year. Imagine 2 starts by a healthy Pedro - we wouldn't even be playing a game 6 tonight because the series would already be over.

yes it suckes to have 2 pitchers go down, as a red sox fan and seeing 2/3rd of our starting team go out at the same time in aug i understand, but the mets are 28 - 26 when pedro starts, was he really going to give you much? Also, if he was healthy, most likely he would have been tired, as his sept/oct numbers in his last years w/boston weren't as good as his mid season numbers. Even with pedro healty, the mets strength is offense, and it will be up to them to carry the team. It isn't like st louis has a great pitching staff.

[quote name='ryanbph']yes it suckes to have 2 pitchers go down, as a red sox fan and seeing 2/3rd of our starting team go out at the same time in aug i understand, but the mets are 28 - 26 when pedro starts, was he really going to give you much? Also, if he was healthy, most likely he would have been tired, as his sept/oct numbers in his last years w/boston weren't as good as his mid season numbers. Even with pedro healty, the mets strength is offense, and it will be up to them to carry the team. It isn't like st louis has a great pitching staff.[/QUOTE]

yup totally agree with everything you said here. pedro is great but he is not a consistent post season pitcher. i thought we could smack the hell outta jeff fucking weaver but that didnt happen. yeah we are supposed out muscle teams not out pitch the teams..but el duque is a post season pitcher which is really the big reason why the mets pitching sucks. if we had him it would give us a better chance so we can have glavine at 2 where we really need him. i cant say the chances are good for us but we gor carpenter away. he is awful away so im not worried. its that cardinal bullpen im worried about and David Wright and Jose Valentin need to get out of these slumps...its killing me to see that 2md and 3rd and they stirke out. crossing fingers tonight.

I didn't realize that glavine only threw 4 ip last night...the mets are really using the bullpen, has it been this bad all season? Not to diminish maine, but in 2 post season games so far he has only gone 8.1 ip, so most likely the mets bullpen will need to pitch a good 4 - 5 inn tonight. I hope that the mets offense sparks a little tonight.

[quote name='ryanbph']I didn't realize that glavine only threw 4 ip last night...the mets are really using the bullpen, has it been this bad all season? Not to diminish maine, but in 2 post season games so far he has only gone 8.1 ip, so most likely the mets bullpen will need to pitch a good 4 - 5 inn tonight. I hope that the mets offense sparks a little tonight.[/QUOTE]

yeah they are now but 2 runs is barley a lead against the cardinals offense. maine just went out in the 6th i think with no earned but edmunds and i think rolen is on 1st and 2nd and was just taken out. maine really surprised me tonight. he pitched really well and even struck out pujols. yeah when willie thinks the game has great importance which it did..he will pull his starters out early and count on his bullpen. he has done this in the reg season many of times. with edmunds on 2nd he lifted maine out..i thought maine could go another inning but he went with bradford now. the bullpen needs a good a game tonight because it depends on them if we make it the series.

edit:rolen hit in to a dp. mota and feliciano are in the pen.

bought tix for Sunday's game for my mom with some gambling winnings i had. 850 dollars for two tix...ouch

[quote name='Jedi1979']so far so good...still alot of game left but if we win i just have this feeling that El Duque might pitch in game 7...[/quote]

Isn't Duque out of the 25 man lineup though? I thought he wasn't eligible to pitch this series.

I was wondering where all the CAG Cards fans were...

[quote name='encendido5']Isn't Duque out of the 25 man lineup though? I thought he wasn't eligible to pitch this series.

I was wondering where all the CAG Cards fans were...[/quote]

I think you are right...i wasnt thinking about that at all:cry:

mets just scored 2 more...looks like a game 7 will happen:D

Am I the only one, I missed this thread somehow? (I don't know)

Now all Mr. Pujols has to do is hit that ever elusive 5 run hr

The thing I find funny about the mets bullpen is you have 2 decent pitchers in bradford and motta. Bradford was just let go by the redsox, and they put motta in the deal for crisp. The redsox bullpen sucked this year, it would have been nice to have 2 somewhat reliable bullpen guys like that on the club

[quote name='ryanbph']The thing I find funny about the mets bullpen is you have 2 decent pitchers in bradford and motta. Bradford was just let go by the redsox, and they put motta in the deal for crisp. The redsox bullpen sucked this year, it would have been nice to have 2 somewhat reliable bullpen guys like that on the club[/QUOTE]

wow i never noticed that. i knew mota was included in the crisp deal which is how we got him off waivers from the indians. wasnt he included in the beckket deal? i never knew bradford was on the sox. yeah they would have helped alot with the sox injured pen. but who knew mota and bradford were going to be this good. mota has been awful in his last to stints with the marlins and the indians and bradford is the same. i think the mets got lucky with these pick up.

[quote name='encendido5']Isn't Duque out of the 25 man lineup though? I thought he wasn't eligible to pitch this series.

I was wondering where all the CAG Cards fans were...[/QUOTE]

well there is winniethepujols but i havent seen that person on for awhile.
whoo what a way for Lo Duca to come through. 4-0 and heilman is in.

To tell you guys the truth I like the Cards, but I don't really care who ends up winning the series, as I just want the NL to win...

On that note if the cards do lose this series, Pujols needs to hit another moonshoot just like last year

[quote name='thamaster24']To tell you guys the truth I like the Cards, but I don't really care who ends up winning the series, as I just want the NL to win...

On that note if the cards do lose this series, Pujols needs to hit another moonshoot just like last year[/QUOTE]

its ok we dont kill anybody for liking teams...hell we have a braves fan here in CoCheese but us mets fans didnt kill him........yet =)...i do care if the mets win..ive been waiting in agony for them just to make it back to the playoffs. now a chance to vie for teh WS is a huge plus. if the cards and tigs are the WS matchup i coudl care less who wins it. the only thing i could look out for are the possible arrivals of zito or soriano. and hope next year goes good. good luck and heres good luck to both team in gm 7

Wags always makes it interesting...

I've been waiting on this since I really started following baseball in the late 80's early 90's. Remember Anthony Young? Those were some bad times to be a Mets fan.

[quote name='encendido5']* HUGE sigh of relief[/quote]

What you didn't read my last post... I predict the odds for Las Vegas you know...

[quote name='thamaster24']What you didn't read my last post... I predict the odds for Las Vegas you know...[/quote]

still, Billy Wagner seems to make even those odds possible :)

[quote name='encendido5']Wags always makes it interesting...

I've been waiting on this since I really started following baseball in the late 80's early 90's. Remember Anthony Young? Those were some bad times to be a Mets fan.[/quote]

man i remember him...always felt bad for the guy...those were some horrible years back in the early-mid 90's, we had a few players with talent but that was it

[quote name='encendido5']Wags always makes it interesting...

I've been waiting on this since I really started following baseball in the late 80's early 90's. Remember Anthony Young? Those were some bad times to be a Mets fan.[/QUOTE]

dont forget the mini spending sprees the mets had during those years...we acquired some real winners there like daryl hamilton and bobby bonilla.

Man it seems the Mets haven't had a lights out closer is so long. Wagner had to make that shit exciting last night. It can never be a 1 2 3 inning with him unless they are up by like 10. And its rare he would be in, in a situation like that. Great game last night though. Step 1 beating Carpenter is complete. Now one more Do or die game and then the WS. And still no idea who wil start. Crazy.

[quote name='integralsmatic']dont forget the mini spending sprees the mets had during those years...we acquired some real winners there like daryl hamilton and bobby bonilla.[/quote]

lol, yeah... I thought Bobby Bo was going to be the shit when we got him too. I used to hate him, bonds and Andy Van Slyke when they were on the Pirates cuz they were so good.

How about Eddie Murray too... what a worthwhile pickup.

well if pedro is going to miss at least 1/2 of next season as has been reported, and the mets being 28-26 in games he starts, I think it is fair to argue that him and his long huge contract deserve to be talked about in the same sentence as bobby bo

[quote name='DomLando']Man it seems the Mets haven't had a lights out closer is so long. Wagner had to make that shit exciting last night. It can never be a 1 2 3 inning with him unless they are up by like 10. And its rare he would be in, in a situation like that. Great game last night though. Step 1 beating Carpenter is complete. Now one more Do or die game and then the WS. And still no idea who wil start. Crazy.[/quote]

Wagner is actually pretty good. I think the problem is (they showed this stat last night) he is only lights out in save situations. I was at game 2 when he lost because he came in during a tied game, last night 4 runs were too many. he had to give up 2 so he could focus. check his stats for his last BS, it has been a while.

Lets Go Mets Go

[quote name='ryanbph']well if pedro is going to miss at least 1/2 of next season as has been reported, and the mets being 28-26 in games he starts, I think it is fair to argue that him and his long huge contract deserve to be talked about in the same sentence as bobby bo[/quote]

na, i dont think thats fair...with Bobby Bo we expected alot more then what we got and he sucked but not because he was injured (if i remember correctly) and with Pedro we knew he was a risk from the beginning but we were paying for credibility and we got it,

[quote name='Jedi1979']na, i dont think thats fair...with Bobby Bo we expected alot more then what we got and he sucked but not because he was injured (if i remember correctly) and with Pedro we knew he was a risk from the beginning but we were paying for credibility and we got it,[/quote]
I agree with this. When we signed Pedro it showed other players and teams in the league that we wanted to win. I also believe Pedro was the key in signing Beltran and then Delgado, that to me is priceless. Pedro also brought a swagger to the Mets that I wear on my chest.

[quote name='encendido5']I was wondering where all the CAG Cards fans were...[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm here. Just a bit bitter about having to hear (again) how this game was already over because Carpenter's so much better than Maine.

Not that giving up 2 runs is bad pitching, but the guy he was supposed to be so much better than gave up none.

However, the biggest problem is that it's impossible to win any game with 0 on the scoreboard, no matter how your pitching is.

Hoping for the best tonight, I just want to smack the internet Cards fans who kept spewing, 'the series is a done deal' just because Carp was pitching.

[quote name='megashock5']Well, I'm here. Just a bit bitter about having to hear (again) how this game was already over because Carpenter's so much better than Maine.

Not that giving up 2 runs is bad pitching, but the guy he was supposed to be so much better than gave up none.

However, the biggest problem is that it's impossible to win any game with 0 on the scoreboard, no matter how your pitching is.

Hoping for the best tonight, I just want to smack the internet Cards fans who kept spewing, 'the series is a done deal' just because Carp was pitching.[/quote]
Another one Cards fan here, and I certainly never said it was done because Carpenter was pitching.

I've been saying to the people I know that if we do take the NLCS, it would be in 6 or 7. So far, still might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back