MLB Power Pros - Out Now! - Gamespot 8.0, IGN 8.4

[quote name='schuerm26']This game is ridiculously easy to pick up and play. I haven't even gotten into the deep stuff and I have been playing it for awhile. Im ashamed to say it but all I have been doing today is the home run competition.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I haven't even tried that mode yet.

I have switched over to the Season. The stats and everything are so ridiculously in depth it is awesome. Plus, your players' stats improve or degrade depending on how well you play. If for example, your changeup constantly gets hit, it goes down in rating. However, if overall you have a good game, your stamina and control will go up. Thus, every game has the potential for gain for a player, and if a player goes on a streak they may be a better overall player.

And yes, I've rented The BIGS and I have MLB 2k7 out from Gamefly right now, and yet neither compare well to this game, it's just so in-depth, and it's really the best game out there for real baseball fans, especially if you're into stats and such.

This actually sounds pretty awesome.. I'll keep an eye out for a price drop, though.

[quote name='Cambot']Awesome, I haven't even tried that mode yet.[/quote]

It's not real deep I just like using the different players in the different stadiums. It's pretty easy also. You can probably switch the hitting cursor to normal mode, from lock-on and it would make it harder though. I haven't tried to see if you could do that in HR Derby.

As for the success mode, I started it but was going through a lot of text and never even got started really as i had to turn it off.

How long does it take to get into actual playing on Success Mode?

[quote name='schuerm26']How long does it take to get into actual playing on Success Mode?[/QUOTE]

As far as the RPG or the playing baseball?

My first time through I didn't play a game until my 3rd year (I sucked). Even then it was just pitching to a couple of batters. It's really light on the baseball playing, it's all about the grind of practice/dating/studying/making money

[quote name='lordwow']As far as the RPG or the playing baseball?

My first time through I didn't play a game until my 3rd year (I sucked). Even then it was just pitching to a couple of batters. It's really light on the baseball playing, it's all about the grind of practice/dating/studying/making money[/quote]

If you ignore the RPG stuff and just work on improving your character, you can play as soon as the second year.

[quote name='jer7583']This actually sounds pretty awesome.. I'll keep an eye out for a price drop, though.[/quote]

The game is also available for the PS2 for $30.

[quote name='Zen Davis']If you ignore the RPG stuff and just work on improving your character, you can play as soon as the second year.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I'd definitely take a different approach now that I've played through it once.

I was drawn to this game on the shelf without knowing what it was about. I love simplified (but deep) baseball games like Baseball Stars (NES), AllStar Baseball 2000 (N64), and Mario Baseball (GCN).

I was really hoping that the game would be like those games but with motion controls for hitting, fielding, and running. It sounds like this game is great, but doesn't fit those requirements.

I guess I'll just wait for the new Mario Baseball (which was announced two days ago!).

[quote name='Gator']I was drawn to this game on the shelf without knowing what it was about. I love simplified (but deep) baseball games like Baseball Stars (NES), AllStar Baseball 2000 (N64), and Mario Baseball (GCN).

I was really hoping that the game would be like those games but with motion controls for hitting, fielding, and running. It sounds like this game is great, but doesn't fit those requirements.

I guess I'll just wait for the new Mario Baseball (which was announced two days ago!).[/quote]

There is a mode with motion controls, but its only exhibition and home run derby.

Just going by the games you mentioned, i think that you would love this game.

My fav baseball games are Baseball Stars 1&2, Baseball Simulator .1000, Allstar Baseball 2000, and this series.

I played a few exhibition games, just to get more of the actual baseball in. Am I the only one to have a huge learning curve between novice and normal difficulty? I won my first game 31-5 on easy, only controlling batting and pitching. After switching to normal difficulty, controlling batting, pitching, and fielding, I was getting smoked 11-2 halfway through a game. Part of it was my shitty fielding (running around a ground ball to second is not effective), but they hit a hell of a lot better, and pitch a hell of a lot better.

[quote name='botticus']I played a few exhibition games, just to get more of the actual baseball in. Am I the only one to have a huge learning curve between novice and normal difficulty? I won my first game 31-5 on easy, only controlling batting and pitching. After switching to normal difficulty, controlling batting, pitching, and fielding, I was getting smoked 11-2 halfway through a game. Part of it was my shitty fielding (running around a ground ball to second is not effective), but they hit a hell of a lot better, and pitch a hell of a lot better.[/quote]

I haven't played it on easy but the computer definitely scores on me quite a bit on normal.

This past game I was playing well until I gave up 6 in one inning. Im having a hard time fielding.

[quote name='botticus']I played a few exhibition games, just to get more of the actual baseball in. Am I the only one to have a huge learning curve between novice and normal difficulty? I won my first game 31-5 on easy, only controlling batting and pitching. After switching to normal difficulty, controlling batting, pitching, and fielding, I was getting smoked 11-2 halfway through a game. Part of it was my shitty fielding (running around a ground ball to second is not effective), but they hit a hell of a lot better, and pitch a hell of a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I played on normal difficulty controlling everything, but with Automatic lock-on batting with the Cubs and beat Cincinnati 19-2. I then switched to Expert Hitting (no lock-on batting) and Expert pitching (no strike zone pitch cursor or pitch-type indicator in the upper corner) and got beaten 3-0 by the Brewers. Though I out hit them 7 to 8, I made some base running blunders.

I think I'll continue on this mode and tweak settings here and there - of which there are an awesomely huge amount!

As for the announcer - silence him! Or at least put him on the quietest setting. Why does he roll his R's for names like De Rosa? "De-dosa" and Soriano "Soh-diano", yet still mispronounce "Blanco"? Also, he routinely calls foul balls "hits". "The ball it DRIVEN FOR A HIT! ....and caught by Blank-O in foul territory."

Do you guys play every game in season mode, or do skip ahead in the schedule? I try to play either the first or last game in each series before skipping to the next town. This way, I can at least influence the outcome in each series.

Man, I don't know about this success mode. The text is killing my eyes. When I get put in the lineup do I actually get to play games?
All Im doing is practicing and resting to get better, do I need to be doing anything else?

It actually got better as I got into the 2nd year. Sucks those as I lost a game to get in the playoffs and it was game over.

Pretty awesome game, I played for about 2 hours straight.

Hitting definitely has a challenge to it, which it should have. If you're having a lot of trouble, definitely try the batting practice out. I wasn't getting any hits until I practiced for a good 25 minutes, then I was finally getting runs in.

Has anyone had this game freeze? Mine crashed while changing pitchers. Had to power down to red.

Hope it doesn't happen again. Save often.

I haven't read the manual so let me know if this is in there.

After you do the success mode, can you then use your people in the season mode by selecting expansion and making 2 more teams?

If not, what is the point of saving them?

Also, I wish the success mode went on a bit longer. It doesn't seem like there is enough time to do stuff in just 3 yrs.

Ive made three players thru Success mode, and they all got minor league contracts by the end. Now I havent started a season mode yet, but from what I understand, you win a minor league contract with the team you choose as your favorite team when starting success mode. So if you start a season mode as that team, you need to bring them up from the minors to be on your team. Ive heard you can win a Major league contract in Success mode, but I havent had that happen yet.

[quote name='schuerm26']I haven't read the manual so let me know if this is in there.

After you do the success mode, can you then use your people in the season mode by selecting expansion and making 2 more teams?

If not, what is the point of saving them?

Also, I wish the success mode went on a bit longer. It doesn't seem like there is enough time to do stuff in just 3 yrs.[/quote]

hands down the most enthralling game i "own" right now for the wii. Its been in the system since release day and played nearly non stop.

So If you're a casual baseball fan, this game still has the hotness? It sounds awesome.

[quote name='jer7583']So If you're a casual baseball fan, this game still has the hotness? It sounds awesome.[/quote]

I could care less about major League Baseball and this game has its hooks in me.

I have Orange Box in my 360, and I need to be torn away from MLB:pP to play TF2 with my friends.

[quote name='Puffa469']Ive made three players thru Success mode, and they all got minor league contracts by the end. Now I havent started a season mode yet, but from what I understand, you win a minor league contract with the team you choose as your favorite team when starting success mode. So if you start a season mode as that team, you need to bring them up from the minors to be on your team. Ive heard you can win a Major league contract in Success mode, but I havent had that happen yet.[/quote]

Yeah I have gotten 2 minor league contracts. One as a pitcher and one as a 1b. As the 1B though, I was mainly putting everything in power, but I still couldn't get my rating over F for power. It just doesn't seem like there is enough time to get your stats way up, maybe I just haven't learned how to do everything properly.

Thank god they have the speed up mode when you finish it the first time.

Also, has anyone had Willy take over their body (or given the option to let this happen) Anyone know how it changes things (I let him a couple times but not every single time, and he does really well)

This game is unbelievable. I played it for 5 hours last night, woke up and now I want to play more. At the very least I hope more modes like Success mode come out in future sports games.

I just got my first minor league contract last night with a pitcher and I found that if I really focused on training and studied just enough to avoid getting expelled that I could raise my abilities pretty well.

By the time the mode ended, I had one 4 level pitch, two-2 level pitches, and C control and stamina. Just a matter of doing nothing but that and you can get a lot done.
Regarding Willy, I used more challenge cards to make the games against him harder...which in retrospect was probably not the best thing to do for winning games, but I think it helped me more for my stats. I won every game where he controlled my character, except for the last one.

The one thing that amazes me about the success mode is how much the story can change with each play through. It's like a choose your own adventure for baseball, with a ton more depth. I absolutely love the game.

[quote name='psunami']I just got my first minor league contract last night with a pitcher and I found that if I really focused on training and studied just enough to avoid getting expelled that I could raise my abilities pretty well.

By the time the mode ended, I had one 4 level pitch, two-2 level pitches, and C control and stamina. Just a matter of doing nothing but that and you can get a lot done.
Regarding Willy, I used more challenge cards to make the games against him harder...which in retrospect was probably not the best thing to do for winning games, but I think it helped me more for my stats. I won every game where he controlled my character, except for the last one.

The one thing that amazes me about the success mode is how much the story can change with each play through. It's like a choose your own adventure for baseball, with a ton more depth. I absolutely love the game.[/quote]

When I got into the playoffs, I let Willy take over Marvin, and then he took over someone else on my team since he can only do Marvin 1 time. I thought it would get my team to score more runs but I don't think it really helped

[quote name='Zen Davis']This is just some random babbling but game really has an awesome old-school feel to it.[/quote]

Well just for shits n giggles I fired up the old Snes versions using an emulator, and the Graphics have barely changed one bit, lol. Although back then, the graphics were 'amazing and cutting edge', and now they are 'charming and oldschool'.

Another tip for people going thru Success mode, dont be afraid to reload your save game if an event or game doesnt go your way.

The amount of time you have to upgrade your player is short enough without having to deal with injuries and losing games. The stat boost you get for winning a game is huge, and you really need that to make a decent player and get that contract. I have no issues with reloading my save multiple times till things go my way.

P.S. Save your game often! I wish you could save without quitting out of the mode!

Alright, I'll buy it. I just finished Twilight Princess last week so I can justify a new Wii game..

Despite that I haven't finished RE4 on Wii or MP3 yet...

[quote name='jer7583']Alright, I'll buy it. I just finished Twilight Princess last week so I can justify a new Wii game..

Despite that I haven't finished RE4 on Wii or MP3 yet...[/quote]

Get it at the TRU sale tomorrow.

What is the most amount of games you can play?

1st year - The 4th Week of May
2nd year - Last game of the season and then playoffs if keep winning
3rd year- Same

Is that the most games you can play?

Also, what does the dating part have to do with anything in this game?

If you do well with Becky does it give you a better contract from her dad?

[quote name='schuerm26']What is the most amount of games you can play?

1st year - The 4th Week of May
2nd year - Last game of the season and then playoffs if keep winning
3rd year- Same

Is that the most games you can play?

Also, what does the dating part have to do with anything in this game?

If you do well with Becky does it give you a better contract from her dad?
[/quote]

As for the amount of games, what you listed is all Ive ever played. I think that might be it.
I think if you become team captain you control everyone on the team for the last 2 innings of those games and not just your character.

As far as dating goes:
I never got far with Becky, but your theory seems sound, apparantly you can win a major league contract, so maybe getting in good with her is the way to do it. I know that if you date the math girl, your dates count as studying too, thus freeing up more time to practice or work.

Spoiler says ending of a dating thing so don't read if you don't want to know.

I ended up marrying Becky but I only got a minor league contract. Myplayer was real good also. Are we sure a major league contract can be offered?

[quote name='Puffa469']Get it at the TRU sale tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I would if it wasn't 45 min away and I wasn't unable to drive due to recent surgery. I got it today.. not put it in yet, but I'm anxious.

Just played a great game as the Indians against the Red Sox.

It was 3 - 6, I was down by 3 and then in the top of the 8th inning Sizemore hits a 3-run home run, which ended up winning the game. :lol:

Oh and I discovered that MLB Power Pros doesn't support widescreen. Not that big of a deal, but just be sure to set your tv to 4:3 instead of 16:9, as I was playing it all stretched out and didn't realize it... I was wondering why the characters, while super deformed looked so unusually fat and squished looking. :lol:

[quote name='schuerm26']Spoiler says ending of a dating thing so don't read if you don't want to know.

I ended up marrying Becky but I only got a minor league contract. Myplayer was real good also. Are we sure a major league contract can be offered?
[/quote]

Keep an eye out for that spousal abuse....

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Is this game kinda like wii sports baseball at all?[/quote]

I would say it's a lot better. Motion control doesn't play much of a role at all but the gameplay is full of such depth that it's crazy. You can play the game with the classic controller, the wii mote, or the wii mote and nunchuck. I forget if you can use the wavebird. It's a lot of fun.

[quote name='schuerm26']Is there any sort of strategy guide available for this?[/quote]

Not that Ive seen. I wish there was. If any game needed one, its this one.

I think I know what we may need to do to get a major league contract in Success mode...

If you win the College Kings tourny in your third year, you get to play the MLB Allstar team. I bet if you beat those guys, you get the Majors contract. Good luck with that tho... lol

[quote name='Puffa469']Not that Ive seen. I wish there was. If any game needed one, its this one.

I think I know what we may need to do to get a major league contract in Success mode...

If you win the College Kings tourny in your third year, you get to play the MLB Allstar team. I bet if you beat those guys, you get the Majors contract. Good luck with that tho... lol
[/quote]

I won it in my third year. Unfortunately I got one of those $500 loans right before the playoffs started. I ended up spending all the money on a glove and other stuff thinking that the game would end and I wouldn't have to pay it back. Bad move. They got me after I won and it was game over as they sold all my stuff and I still didn't have $500. Oh well, have to try again. I didn't even get to keep my guy who was really good.

Since I don't think I can say it enough to people on the fringe, this is one hell of a game. You will not regret spending the $40. I haven't played a game this much since Resident Evil 4 on the Cube.

Has anyone been playing the season mode?

How effective is practice? Or I should say, can it make a player like David Ortiz actually run quickly with enough practice?

[quote name='lordwow']Has anyone been playing the season mode?

How effective is practice? Or I should say, can it make a player like David Ortiz actually run quickly with enough practice?[/quote]

I don't know how to answer this but if someone could direct me to how to make practice automated. I know the girl says it in the season mode, but I forgot how to do it.

[quote name='schuerm26']I don't know how to answer this but if someone could direct me to how to make practice automated. I know the girl says it in the season mode, but I forgot how to do it.[/quote]

I think you only get one chance at the start but I could be wrong.

[quote name='schuerm26']I don't know how to answer this but if someone could direct me to how to make practice automated. I know the girl says it in the season mode, but I forgot how to do it.[/QUOTE]

It is actually automated unless you do it manually. To switch someone to manual you have to:

1) Go to the automatic section of the practicing players
2) Select the player
3) Then go to which practice you want them to take.

Otherwise, the CPU will determine what your players practice.

[quote name='jer7583']I'm about to open my copy..

Am I going to enjoy this?[/quote]

Hell yeah you are. Kiss the next couple days of your life goodbye :)

Give success mode a chance. It starts off slow (at least for me it did) but gets really good. When you complete it 1 time you can put it on shortcut mode to make things quicker. It's addictive.

bread's done
Back