Mmmm this is a tasty burger!

CrimGhost

CAGiversary!
I just watched this documentary called Hamburger America. It was pretty amusing, they showed a place that serves a deep fried burger and another place that serves burgers with butter smothered on it.
Living in Pennsylvania and Maryland, I haven't found many "unique" burger places. When I want a good burger I avoid fast food places like McDonalds and Burger King, but the small mom and pop diners with the unique takes on burgers are going away. What places have good burgers where you guys live? At this moment, around here atleast I would say Five Guys Burgers is pretty decent. Oh and of course...
kahuna.jpg

They have THE best burgers.

I was looking for that Hamburger America movie last year, this guy mentioned that it was good. Later on I'll search torrents and the video guide on my cable to see if it's on.

[quote name='JimmieMac']I was looking for that Hamburger America movie last year, this guy mentioned that it was good. Later on I'll search torrents and the video guide on my cable to see if it's on.[/QUOTE]

Here's a small clip.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM04TnbIr4[/MEDIA]

Of course I have to toss in a vote for In 'n Out here in CA. I also love George Burger in San Marcos and Islands also has good burgers '-')b

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']i like cheeburger[/QUOTE]

Cheeburger Cheeburger? Yeah they're pretty good, and yes there is a real Cheeburger Cheeburger for those familiar with the SNL skit.

There's a burger place in Arizona that has a burger with 4,000 calories.

They call it the "Quadruple Bypass." I can't remember the exact name, but I heard all this on the radio.

One day, I will eat this burger. I guarantee that I won't gain more than 5 lbs. I can eat fast food for a full week and gain only 3 lbs. (only to lose it the next week). I have this weird body where I can eat whatever I want, whenever, never exercise, and not gain more than 5 lbs. My heart rate and blood pressure are all normal. Weird huh?

I have a body where you'd think I work out at a gym, which I don't! LOL The only workout I do is with DDR. =)

RFD Washington next to DC's Chinatown makes a damn fine burger.

Lets see, back home. Larrison's in Seymour, Indiana is pretty good too. Mostly because of the grilled onions and Big Red. Rockford Place up the road a ways is also pretty good.

That's where I go when I go out for one. Really, if you have a grill, you can make your own burger that will probably be better than one you can buy from any resturant.

We don't have many unique burger places around here. Actually, I don't think we have any at all. Which is suprising because I live in a very small town where you'd expect to see a small business diner.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Here's a small clip.
video[/url][/QUOTE]

You eat that you'll be spraying straight grease out your ass in about 3 hours, plus they lack sanitary cooking condition. They pound out the raw hamburger on the same spatula they use to cook the meat.

here's the ultimate question for me.

Do you perfer the buns soft and fresh, or toasted.

I myself hate toasted bread. Be it on a hamburger or any type of sammich. Grilled is okay but not toasted bread.

[quote name='CrimGhost']I just watched this documentary called Hamburger America. It was pretty amusing, they showed a place that serves a deep fried burger and another place that serves burgers with butter smothered on it.
Living in Pennsylvania and Maryland, I haven't found many "unique" burger places. When I want a good burger I avoid fast food places like McDonalds and Burger King, but the small mom and pop diners with the unique takes on burgers are going away. What places have good burgers where you guys live? At this moment, around here atleast I would say Five Guys Burgers is pretty decent.[/quote]

Is Five Guys a chain? I have only ever seen one in Bethany Beach, DE. I never ate there, but I went in once. There was trash all over the floor and everything was covered in food. There was also a bulletin board where people could write their comments about the food; one girl wrote that the food was so good she had an orgasm.

In n Out, with some Fatburger thrown in for variety! When the hell is Fatburger comin to the Bay Area, CA? I heard there's one way the fuck up in Pleasant Hill, but I'm down in San Mateo...I know they're gonna open some new franchises around like Redwood City and stuff, but I dunno WHEN :\

Everybody seems to absolutely love Val's in Hayward, but I had probably the worst burger I've ever had there. The buns were completely drenched in grease, and the meat looked like it had been cooked for a whole of 15 seconds. Disgusting. I'm sure that I had a bad burger and it wasn't representative of their normal fare, but that was the first and last time that I've been there.

I was recently in the Las Vegas area and I tried out Fat Burger which was pretty good. Almost $10 for the meal though (fries and soft drink).

A few good burger places that I've been to around here are Red Robin, Five Guys, Foster's Grille, and Elevation Burger who uses organic Virginia Kobe beef.

jlseal - Always good to get some info on a good place near the Verizon Center. I might check out RFD next time I'm down there.

GenDV - How much are the burgers at Elevation and Foster's? I might check those places out. Neither of their websites listed prices that I could find.

[quote name='CrimGhost']around here atleast I would say Five Guys Burgers is a religious experience. [/QUOTE]

Fixed!

Lt. Dan - 5 Guys is a chain that started in Alexandria VA (I think) and has spread out quite a bit in the past few years

There's some place on the Coast, whose name escapes me now, who puts Ice Cream on a burger. That's pretty out there.

Matchbox in DC (think that's the right name) has an outstanding mini-burger as an appetizer. They can be a bit too salty, but damn they are awesome. They also have great pizza.

[quote name='Derwood43']This is a burger I recently had while in Ecuador.

Mmmhmm..

[/QUOTE]

:drool:

Expensive?

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Everybody seems to absolutely love Val's in Hayward, but I had probably the worst burger I've ever had there. The buns were completely drenched in grease, and the meat looked like it had been cooked for a whole of 15 seconds. Disgusting. I'm sure that I had a bad burger and it wasn't representative of their normal fare, but that was the first and last time that I've been there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that place is a little overrated. I've had people tell me that it's the best burger they've ever had and people on yelp.com seem to love Val's like no other but...I dunno, it didn't taste that good when I went. I prefer Barney's

Fuddrucker's is also pretty good.

As long as you are willing to make my burger medium rare, you have me as a customer.

Have you guys ever had a buffalo burger? I had one recently up in D.C. at the Native American museum there. I never tried buffalo meat before, but it was pretty good and lean since buffalo's don't have that much fat compared to a cow. The burger came with green chillies and the usual cheese, lettuce, and tomato...all for $6.00...fucking museums.

[quote name='wubb']jlseal - Always good to get some info on a good place near the Verizon Center. I might check out RFD next time I'm down there.[/quote]

Yeah, its a few blocks away. The rest of their food is pretty good too and they have an excellent beer selection.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Have you guys ever had a buffalo burger? I had one recently up in D.C. at the Native American museum there. I never tried buffalo meat before, but it was pretty good and lean since buffalo's don't have that much fat compared to a cow. The burger came with green chillies and the usual cheese, lettuce, and tomato...all for $6.00...fucking museums.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't that be a bison burger?

[quote name='jlseal']Yeah, its a few blocks away. The rest of their food is pretty good too and they have an excellent beer selection.[/QUOTE]

Matchbox is right around there as well. Check it out if you like pizza as well as burgers. :) Order the mini-burger appetizer and then share a pizza.

[quote name='wubb']Matchbox is right around there as well. Check it out if you like pizza as well as burgers. :) Order the mini-burger appetizer and then share a pizza.[/quote]
Sounds great, but I no longer live in DC :(

In Berkeley we've got a place called Barney's that makes fabulous burgers and some of the best seasoned curly fries i've ever had. There's also Oscar's. They make great burgers...everything else is meh, but the burgers are really good.

There's also Redrum burger over in Davis. If you can get over the wait, it's pretty good, and they have a huge variety of awesome shakes.

I can't believe no one had mentioned The Original Tommy's in Los Angeles, CA. Every time I go back to LA I have to eat some Tommy's. Best burgers EVAR.

Frosted Mug. Quite possibly the best diner around in lllinois, and every Tuesday they have a vintage car show. '68 Mustang ftw.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I can't believe no one had mentioned The Original Tommy's in Los Angeles, CA. Every time I go back to LA I have to eat some Tommy's. Best burgers EVAR.[/quote]

Aw man, Tommy's how can I forget...Luckily I live near 2 locations, they're like 20min apart from each other.

[quote name='ragtop70']I can't believe anyone on here knows about Larrison's and Rockford Place.[/quote]

Neither can I

While I live in Tampa, I am from Connecticut and everytime I go back, I have to stop and get a burger at Harry's Place. You have not had a burger until you've been to Harry's Place, which is a Top 10 Burger Place on the Travel Channel. All it is is a outdoor shack that makes the best damn burger ever.

Lucky Dil Deli in Palm Harbor Fl is good also in Tampa. If you havent discovered a good burger in your area, try a jewish deli, your always guarenteed to have one of the best burgers you've ever eaten every time.

[quote name='wubb']jlseal - Always good to get some info on a good place near the Verizon Center. I might check out RFD next time I'm down there.

GenDV - How much are the burgers at Elevation and Foster's? I might check those places out. Neither of their websites listed prices that I could find.

Fixed!

Lt. Dan - 5 Guys is a chain that started in Alexandria VA (I think) and has spread out quite a bit in the past few years[/QUOTE]

I can't remember off the top of my head, I think Elevation is around $3, I usually get the big phat burger which is around $4-5. Might seem a little pricey, but I only go every once in awhile.

Foster's I think is somewhere around $6-7 for a burger, fries, and drink. Pretty good sized burgers there. I haven't tried the one in Vienna yet, I've only been to the one in Manassas near the mall since I go out there for classes.

[quote name='GenDV138']I can't remember off the top of my head, I think Elevation is around $3, I usually get the big phat burger which is around $4-5. Might seem a little pricey, but I only go every once in awhile.

Foster's I think is somewhere around $6-7 for a burger, fries, and drink. Pretty good sized burgers there. I haven't tried the one in Vienna yet, I've only been to the one in Manassas near the mall since I go out there for classes.[/QUOTE]

Cheap enough for me. I just wanted to make sure we weren't talking $10+ burgers or something. :)

I'd much rather pay $5 or so for a really good burger (especially since I try to limit burgers to just a couple times a month) vs. save a few bucks and get something crappy.

[quote name='GenDV138']A few good burger places that I've been to around here are Red Robin, Five Guys, Foster's Grille, and Elevation Burger who uses organic Virginia Kobe beef.[/QUOTE]

Went to Elevation this evening based on your suggestion. Excellent burger and their fries fried in olive oil were also great.

I don't know if it varies based on who's working at the time but they really built the burger nicely, everything was evenly distributed (the lettuce, carmelized onions, etc) and it was tightly wrapped with paper. Whenever I make a sandwich myself I'm practically OCD with that sort of thing so I really appreciated that.

bread's done
Back