Mobilphone, pain of choice

yester

CAGiversary!
Well, let me say that i don't use my phone that much and certainly not for facebook or the like.
I do like the option of a map and i know that there are some useful apps but what i don't like is the cost that comes with it.

So i feel that i am a dude for a simple phone somehow. Sadly, there are not many normal phone anymore and so the choice is limited.

Am i wrong to say no to smartphones? Or is this the way you have to have a phone these days.

I was looking in a fliphone like the Motorola Tundra the other day. Sturdy and ok to use. Small screen of course.

Are there people still that use normal phones?

For just the map it doesn't make sense to buy a expensive phone and i rather pay the phone than to buy myself into a contract again.

Well, what is everyone take on that.

You're not wrong. You know yourself best and you know what your goals are. If a rugged phone is your desire, you can't go wrong with Motorola. I had an earlier incarnation of a Motorola rugged phone and I certainly treated it like shit and it kept on trucking.

That being said, even the most basic Android smartphone is going to have a version of Google Maps that is miles ahead of anything you could get on a simple phone. Smartphones are not just for Facebook. In fact I rooted my phone simply to uninstall the uninstallable Facebook application. The very existence of free and reliable Google Maps navigation is great.

Cost? Don't worry about capital cost. T-Mobile's version of the Samsung Galaxy S is free on the usual contract. My girlfriend owns the AT&T version and it remains a very capable device. Operating cost? Well, there's the hitch. Most smartphones require a subscription to a data plan.

You've expressed disdain for contracts. I feel the same way, which is why I bought my smartphone off-contract. It's expensive, though I am on an off-contract plan that is $20 cheaper than the comparable on-contract plan, so after 2 years I came out ahead.

[quote name='yester']

what i don't like is the cost that comes with it.

Sadly, there are not many normal phone anymore and so the choice is limited.

Am i wrong to say no to smartphones? Or is this the way you have to have a phone these days.

Are there people still that use normal phones?[/QUOTE]

No one does...

it will continue to get scarce and scarce.

Not gonna have a choice after a while.

Yeah, my parents on a 65 and up plan with dumb phones.

Finally... good luck...

I've been on prepaid tmobile for years now with the shittiest phone ever. It calls, takes call and texts. That's it. I spend about 300-400 a year. I've actually lost that phone for about a month now and don't care cuz it's so shitty. Although there was about 20 dollars left on it but I think it's still around here somewhere. Just don't care enough to really look for it.

Tracfone has cheap pay as you go-phones.

I have a AT&T GO Phone. It's about $15 a month (or $25 for 3 months). Gets you 100 minutes, I think. Does nothing but make and take calls and texts.

I am just wondering since i don't know.

If you take a pre paid plan from at&t (where i have an expired at&t contract) can you use any phone you personally buy and use it with a prepaid?

Sometimes these plans have unlimited feature for a fixed price.

Like i said. Don't know.

I just can decide on a phone. Very complicated and confusing. A friend told me to get a Android Smartphone and it has its benefits. But then again i hate cost. So if i can limited the cost and just use a pre paid that may be ok already.

[quote name='yester']

I just can decide on a phone. Very complicated and confusing. A friend told me to get a Android Smartphone and it has its benefits. But then again i hate cost. So if i can limited the cost and just use a pre paid that may be ok already.[/QUOTE]
How long are you going to be near wifi? If your going to be close to wifi always you could consider a crappy pay as you go phone but add in a iPod touch. This way you get the benefits of mobile apps without the data charge. Of course you need to have wifi but still.

bread's done
Back