Modern inventions that amaze you

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
1.) Cell phones = it still amazes me that you can make a call anytime, anywhere. People sure don't like to answer them, though. I always answer my cell phone,

2.)3D printers. Now this is like the holodeck in Star Treak. YOu cna make prosthetic limbs, guns.

3.)GPS no longer a need for maps. It knows where you are and can guide you to that club downtown.

Can anybody think of anymore. God I feel old 

Or someone who's been living the Amish way all of their life.

What's next that's considered amazing, the light bulb, automobiles and sliced bread?

How about fire?  How's that ranking on the "amazing" scale?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess i'm getting up in age. Never grew up with any of that stuff. You've gotta admit some of it is amazing. What's next? Cybernetic implants for phones, GPS? What do you'll think of Google Glass? or how about the iWatch or whatever Apples coming  up with?

dicktracy.jpg

I'm still waiting on brain implants that can just stream knowledge into your mind. New language? There's a chip for that.
Chomsky will die before he can figure out UG. He's too old.

There's also the issue of creating standard grammars to be programmed. Everyone would think the same way or something.

Chomsky will die before he can figure out UG. He's too old.

There's also the issue of creating standard grammars to be programmed. Everyone would think the same way or something.
I'm guessing he was referring to the types of knowledge that require brute-force memorization rather than any reasoning or application of rules-- in the case of language-learning, it'd be vocabulary. I very much wish this were possible.

Actually, I'd be happy with just something like Google Glass giving me the ability to look up words without typing anything. Very frequently, I'm playing a game or listening to a song (while driving) in another language, and I want to look up a word, but typing is either a big inconvenience or too dangerous.

I'm guessing he was referring to the types of knowledge that require brute-force memorization rather than any reasoning or application of rules-- in the case of language-learning, it'd be vocabulary. I very much wish this were possible.
Learning the words of the language does not mean that a person knows the language. The grammars of the languages are most important.

I suppose that one could obtain all the grammatical information from infinite sets of data, but a person learning a language uses a minimal amount of data to generate the infinite sets.

bread's done
Back