MODS PLEASE LOCK - The Wii VC Games - Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alien Crush saves high scores, right? We've got Pinball, but it doesn't save the high score when the console is reset. I'm assuming it does that on purpose to be like the NES.

So far I've been quite pleased with most of my VC purchases - Gunstar Heroes, Solomon's Key, Super Star Soldier. All good games, all worth the points IMHO.

Bomberman 93 multiplayer is good, but not as good as later SNES and TG-16 versions, and Sonic 1 is just okay (yeah, I know it's a waste of money, but I downloaded it the first day I got the Wii just to try out the Genesis emulation).

Are the VC games 100% full screen without cropping the image? I remember Sonic Mega Collection having black boarders around the screen. I want the games to fill the entire screen!

[quote name='rupan_sansei']There was an interview with Reggie where he did say it's all about strategy. Nintendo of America is holding off on the more big name VC releases for periods when there are a lack of big Wii releases coming out.[/QUOTE]

So, like...... right now?

Actually, Reggie's got a good point. The Wii is in high demand right now. When sales taper off, the VC games will be a stronger selling point. It's good for me, though. I mean, I have most of the huge Nintendo titles. The lesser known games are equally as tempting as far as I'm concerned. There is yet to be a total stinkburger released for the VC (depending on opinion).

6800 points and toe jam & earl i still two weeks away, these points are going to be sitting for awhile, i think i should get interest on them.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Just as good as it was on the Gensis, which is a very good thing.[/quote]

Can you use the sideways Wii-mote to control Gunstar Heroes, or is it more suited to the Gamecube controller?

[quote name='iheartmetal']6800 points and toe jam & earl i still two weeks away, these points are going to be sitting for awhile, i think i should get interest on them.[/quote]

How can you tell what and when VC games are coming out?

[quote name='1modernboy']Can you use the sideways Wii-mote to control Gunstar Heroes, or is it more suited to the Gamecube controller?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can use the wii-mote sideways and it doesn't feel awkward at all. But I still perfer the virtual console controller.

[quote name='Mulliga2']So far I've been quite pleased with most of my VC purchases - Gunstar Heroes, Solomon's Key, Super Star Soldier. All good games, all worth the points IMHO.[/quote]

How is Super Star Soldier? Any replayability?

[quote name='1modernboy']Can you use the sideways Wii-mote to control Gunstar Heroes, or is it more suited to the Gamecube controller?[/quote]
Holding the wiimote sideways feels much better than using the Cube controller, in my opinion.

Finall tried to download stuff off the VC....It took me a good hour just to actually buy points. I kept getting errors on different screens, but I finally got through.

Got Bonk's Adventure and am pleased. Planning on getting Gunstar Heroes tonight.

Yea ended up getting gunstar heros, very good game. I do regret getting super mario 64, its not not the same without the n64 controller.

[quote name='controlcommerce']Is anyone else having problems buying Wii points with their debit card? It keeps saying my billing address is wrong. Any suggestions?[/quote]
I just used a Visa debit card to buy points and everything went through smoothly.

[quote name='controlcommerce']Is anyone else having problems buying Wii points with their debit card? It keeps saying my billing address is wrong. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Worked fine for me... altough I was a bit peeved that I still had to pay tax. I wasnt aware that Nintendo has a "presence" in Indiana that caused it to need to collect sales tax.

How is Super Star Soldier? Any replayability?

I like it. I'm a shooter fan (Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are my faves, but I also hold a soft spot for most of the Gradius and R-Type games) so you might need to take that with a grain of salt. In terms of replayability, it's a pretty long game for a shooter - it's got what? seven, eight levels?

Now, mind you, there isn't the kind of complexity in gameplay found in modern shooters like your Gradius Vs and your R-Type Deltas - you basically just shoot everything in sight, so if you're tired of that kinda thing, save your $6.

Most of the weapons are satisfying (except the crappy multishot) and the boss designs I've seen, while a bit pedestrian, are well done. The 2 minute and 5 minute competition modes through the Caravan stage are be a nice pick up and play experience, though I could see them getting old after awhile (it's always the same stage, but the difficulty ramps up the longer you play).

Got Gunstar today. All was good until I died and lost my homing laser weapon. ;) It was my first time playing it and I am impressed.

Although, it did bring to mind one game I hadn't thought of on the VC that needs to be there: Rocket Knight Adventures.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo's hotdog/bun scheme of VC pricing and point buying.

I'm planning on buying GH and TJ&E, which means I would have to buy 2000 points minimum, and then I'd have 400 points leftover. Yet, nothing costs 400 points! And in order to get rid of those, i'd have to buy 1000 more, and then buy a Gen + TG16 game.

Ridiculous!

What do you guys suggest as a second/third game?

F-Zero
Bonk
Super Star Soldier

I am buying Gunstar Heroes (this game is fucking awesome and well I have to buy it now with a save feature :D), but what else should I buy thats out now?

[quote name='chodax']Yea ended up getting gunstar heros, very good game. I do regret getting super mario 64, its not not the same without the n64 controller.[/QUOTE]

Your right . . .

. . . it's ten times better :lol:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What do you guys suggest as a second/third game?

F-Zero
Bonk
Super Star Soldier

I am buying Gunstar Heroes (this game is fucking awesome and well I have to buy it now with a save feature :D), but what else should I buy thats out now?[/quote]

You can't go wrong with F-Zero. That was a true classic back when it came out. I haven't played it in a long long time though so Im not sure how it held up.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm not a fan of Nintendo's hotdog/bun scheme of VC pricing and point buying.

I'm planning on buying GH and TJ&E, which means I would have to buy 2000 points minimum, and then I'd have 400 points leftover. Yet, nothing costs 400 points! And in order to get rid of those, i'd have to buy 1000 more, and then buy a Gen + TG16 game.

Ridiculous![/quote]I agree. I have 700 points now. I could get an NES game, and have a worthless 200 points. I could get a TG-16 game and have a worthless 100 points left. Or I don't *quite* have enough for an SNES/Genesis game anymore.

Oh well, I'm not really interested in anything else that's coming out this year. Where's my Starfox 64?

[quote name='daroga']I agree. I have 700 points now. I could get an NES game, and have a worthless 200 points. I could get a TG-16 game and have a worthless 100 points left. Or I don't *quite* have enough for an SNES/Genesis game anymore.

Oh well, I'm not really interested in anything else that's coming out this year. Where's my Starfox 64?[/QUOTE]
star fox=next year

[quote name='schuerm26']You can't go wrong with F-Zero. That was a true classic back when it came out. I haven't played it in a long long time though so Im not sure how it held up.[/QUOTE]

F-Zero held up very well. It's still a great racing game. Still very challenging as well.

Just jumped on Gunstar Heroes and Mario 64. Between these games and Wii sports, I don't think I'll need a real "Wii" game for a while.

[quote name='Mulliga2']I like it. I'm a shooter fan (Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are my faves, but I also hold a soft spot for most of the Gradius and R-Type games) so you might need to take that with a grain of salt. In terms of replayability, it's a pretty long game for a shooter - it's got what? seven, eight levels?

Now, mind you, there isn't the kind of complexity in gameplay found in modern shooters like your Gradius Vs and your R-Type Deltas - you basically just shoot everything in sight, so if you're tired of that kinda thing, save your $6.

Most of the weapons are satisfying (except the crappy multishot) and the boss designs I've seen, while a bit pedestrian, are well done. The 2 minute and 5 minute competition modes through the Caravan stage are be a nice pick up and play experience, though I could see them getting old after awhile (it's always the same stage, but the difficulty ramps up the longer you play).[/quote]

Thanks, I'm picking it up. :)

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm not a fan of Nintendo's hotdog/bun scheme of VC pricing and point buying.

Ridiculous![/QUOTE]

Ahh yes. same thing with the 360. just like carnival tickets.

Anyone buy a game yet and feel deceived?

I just found out you can share the PSOne games you download from the Sony store.
See my post about it here:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119704

Amongst 5 friends, a PSOne game could potentially cost just $1.40. And all can play it equally.

I love Mario 64 though, I'll slowly beat it, again.
I want Earthworm Jim, Uniracers, and Metal Warriors.

[quote name='Chrono72090']So.. I forgot. Do genesis games work on a GC controller? Cos I don't really feel like going to get a classic controller, heh.[/quote]

I believe that it varies. Just make sure to check the little icons next to the game you want to buy. They show controller compatibility.

[quote name='Chrono72090']So.. I forgot. Do genesis games work on a GC controller? Cos I don't really feel like going to get a classic controller to play GH, heh.[/QUOTE]

If you have a GC controller, you don't need a classic controller for anything, except perhaps a preference for the CC button layout.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you have a GC controller, you don't need a classic controller for anything, except perhaps a preference for the CC button layout.[/quote]

I think the Gamecube controller will work with everything except N64 games, right?

I guess they changed that before it came out. I remember something in Nintendo Power about the Gamecube controller not working with N64 games. Good stuff.

[quote name='js1']I wonder if I should even hang on to my VC controller or take it back....[/quote]
Well, even though it's not needed... I might get one. It seems like it'd be a pain to constantly hook/unhook the Gamecube controller, when you can just plug in the Classic Controller straight into the Wii Remote. But I'm lazy, so...

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Fire Emblem will only use the Classic Controller.[/QUOTE]

The wii Fire Emblem version?

I like the Classic Controller, it works well for all the emulated systems, and can be used to navigate the Wii menus. No controller juggling!

The D-pad on the GC controller is way too small in any case.

Just downloaded both Gunstar Heroes and Golden Axe.

I love that the five games I have downloaded so far for the VC, have been either Genesis or TG-16 games.

I think that was Nintendo's intention with them not bringing out their big guns for the VC in the U.S. (except SM64), just like we only got 2 of their launch titles.

Gunstar Heroes was my first VC purchase, and GOD DAMN is this game good. I remember playing it, but not that it was one of the best co-op shooters ever! Tossing your buddy around and shooting the entire time does a good game make.

Recommended without reservation, people!

As for using a Classic Controller, consider this: My remote has gone through three sets of batteries since November 19th, and I play it for less than an hour a day on average. The fact that you have to suck the energy out of a Wii remote using the Classic Controller makes my wallet and my soul hurt for the cost of batteries and all the useless acid I'm creating, respectively. When I play Gunstar Heroes, I basically select it with the remote, pick up a GC controller, and set it down somewhere else so that it will power off and save its juices for a bout of Wii Sports or something.

If you play many hours a day, every day, I can see how you can run through so many sets of batteries. I'm still on the original pack in set of batteries--I play maybe 20 minutes to an hour max a day with primarily Wii Sports. I just got Zelda, but I'm limiting myself to short play periods for that one.

That said, I like the Classic--very convenient to just plug into the Wiimote and go wireless--it's more compact than the Wavebird and I don't have to pop the top and worry about the aesthetics of controller receivers or wires. I'd definitely recommend it if you don't already have GCN controllers (or traded/sold them like me).

[quote name='supershammy']Gunstar Heroes was my first VC purchase, and GOD DAMN is this game good. I remember playing it, but not that it was one of the best co-op shooters ever! Tossing your buddy around and shooting the entire time does a good game make.

Recommended without reservation, people!

As for using a Classic Controller, consider this: My remote has gone through three sets of batteries since November 19th, and I play it for less than an hour a day on average. The fact that you have to suck the energy out of a Wii remote using the Classic Controller makes my wallet and my soul hurt for the cost of batteries and all the useless acid I'm creating, respectively. When I play Gunstar Heroes, I basically select it with the remote, pick up a GC controller, and set it down somewhere else so that it will power off and save its juices for a bout of Wii Sports or something.[/QUOTE]

Get some recharable Nihm with a quick charger. Can buy them anywhere for about $20 for 4 aa's and a quick charger, and there's a thread in the deals forum for a charger and a ton of batteries for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back