mom n pop / classic gaming stores in SoCal??

JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
so I recently got a NES and was looking for games for it. Granted I could jus go on ebay and get them hella cheap, but what's the fun in that??

anyways I thought there was one in the West Covina Mall, so I went there yesterday. There wasn't one there...

now I'm trying to remember where the hell I been at in the past 2 months that I remember seeing a classic games store in a mall o_O anyone know what I could possibly be thinking of??

so yes, plz list stores!!!

Game Dude
http://www.gamedude.com/
12104 Sherman Way
North Hollywood, CA 91605
this place is freakin amaaaaaazing~!!!

A&J Games
http://www.ajgamesretail.com/
11132 Palms Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90034

Games 4 U Mission Viejo
http://www.games4uoc.com/
27680 Santa Margarita Pkwy
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
(949) 837-2316

Games For Less - Fullerton
1125 S. Harbor Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 526-2600

Games For Less - Santa Ana
3814 S Bristol Street Suite A
Santa Ana, CA, 92704
(714) 545-GAME

Games For Less - HB
7192 Edinger Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714) 841-GAME

Play n Trade Pasadena
http://www.pntpasadena.com/
247 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101

Outer Heaven
in Little Tokyo right by Daikokuya
I think this place might close soon tho??
and they didnt carry NES games when I went...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JEKKI']

Outer Heaven
in Little Tokyo right by Daikokuya
I think this place might close soon tho??
and they didnt carry NES games when I went...[/QUOTE]

Is that the place with the weird white guy owner who lets dogs into his store (He's opened up and closed up shop in Little Tokyo like 4 different times)? If so, avoid this place.
Search up Gamedude. Be broke and be amazed.

oh sweet! NoHo!!

my old dance teacher is teaching a class there this afternoon and I have a christmas card to give him... maybe I should roll out there right now??

and they're selling Goonies II for $4 which is the next game I wanna buy!!

nah... Im lazy :p

or am I?!?! debating debating...

Don't know any places, but I'm pretty sure the place in West Covina Mall closed down a long time ago. Last time I went I didn't remember seeing any game stores at all.

I went to GameDude... omg that place is AMAZING!! they got everything!!

except for rare Saturn stuff...

and Journey to Silius... I wanted that game...

but they got dang near everything else!! including the only copies of these:

2ezoh2v.jpg

which I guess they no longer have!! lol. I'll definitely needa go back there next time I need something... altho the more popular titles can be rather expensive (i.e. Battletoads).

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Is that the place with the weird white guy owner who lets dogs into his store (He's opened up and closed up shop in Little Tokyo like 4 different times)? If so, avoid this place.[/QUOTE]it prolly is. The reason why I mentioned it coz I found the place right before christmas when I was out getting ramen.

later that week, he posts a thread on cag: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282005 so the place kinda stuck with me.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Don't know any places, but I'm pretty sure the place in West Covina Mall closed down a long time ago. Last time I went I didn't remember seeing any game stores at all.[/QUOTE]how long ago?? coz I could swear seeing a game store in a mall is a very recent memory... at most I would say October is the latest that I have this memory...

the only other mall I can recall visiting is SouthBay Pavilion coz they had a Five Guys and I wanted to eat there...

[quote name='Brownjohn']Games 4 U in Mission Viejo had a pretty big selection of classic games the last time I was in there, around October or so.

http://www.games4uoc.com/

27680 Santa Margarita Pkwy
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
(949) 837-2316[/QUOTE]dang Mission Viejo is hella far lol, havent been there in years. Looking a few threads down, I remember Games 4 Less in Santa Ana on Bristol that I useta visit every now n then in college.

I recall another store in Costa Mesa on Harbor & Wilson from many years ago... I highly doubt it's there anymore lol but I kinda wanna go and see jus for fun.

anyways... I'll update the OP with all your suggestions... thanks!!

[quote name='JEKKI']I went to GameDude... omg that place is AMAZING!! they got everything!!

except for rare Saturn stuff...

and Journey to Silius... I wanted that game...

but they got dang near everything else!! including the only copies of these:

2ezoh2v.jpg

which I guess they no longer have!! lol. I'll definitely needa go back there next time I need something... altho the more popular titles can be rather expensive (i.e. Battletoads).

it prolly is. The reason why I mentioned it coz I found the place right before christmas when I was out getting ramen.

later that week, he posts a thread on cag: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282005 so the place kinda stuck with me.

how long ago?? coz I could swear seeing a game store in a mall is a very recent memory... at most I would say October is the latest that I have this memory...

the only other mall I can recall visiting is SouthBay Pavilion coz they had a Five Guys and I wanted to eat there...

dang Mission Viejo is hella far lol, havent been there in years. Looking a few threads down, I remember Games 4 Less in Santa Ana on Bristol that I useta visit every now n then in college.

I recall another store in Costa Mesa on Harbor & Wilson from many years ago... I highly doubt it's there anymore lol but I kinda wanna go and see jus for fun.

anyways... I'll update the OP with all your suggestions... thanks!![/QUOTE]

You guys are thinking of Gamequest which was in Southbay Pavillion in Carson, as well as West Covina and Santa Ana Place. All of their physical locations are now closed, but they still do web sales. There is another crappy used game shop in the same spot in Santa Ana Place but not only were the prices outrageous, but virtually every game I looked at was beat to heck and the guy working there seemed to be high. Oddly, I think the store is called "High Games" or something similar. Games 4 Less is still in Fullerton and I believe the location by South Coast Plaza is also still there. Sadly, the number of non-chain game shops in SoCal is very minimal at this point and the number of good ones is tinier still.

Gamequest Direct u mean?!?! I remember hella years ago their store was at Santa Ana Main Place. I bought my copy of Ninja 5-0 from them.

I think I musta dropped by like last year or 2009 or something and recall the location still being a games store, but no longer being GQD.

still, last year or 2009 is not 3 months ago... I think Ima go back to South bay Pavilion soon jus to double check my bases o_O

[quote name='JEKKI']Gamequest Direct u mean?!?! I remember hella years ago their store was at Santa Ana Main Place. I bought my copy of Ninja 5-0 from them.

I think I musta dropped by like last year or 2009 or something and recall the location still being a games store, but no longer being GQD.

still, last year or 2009 is not 3 months ago... I think Ima go back to South bay Pavilion soon jus to double check my bases o_O[/QUOTE]

Their retail stores were just called Gamequest. Gamequest Direct is their on-line store which is still around and Deal Tavern is their name on Amazon. The one in Santa Ana was the last one and closed about six months ago. The only good game stores remaining in SoCal seem to be Game Dude and Games 4 Less in Fullerton. I commute between San Diego and Los Angeles every week and have stopped into all of the stores on your list and have been disappointed by all of them except for Game Dude and Games 4 Less which I visit weekly and have for the last couple of years. I still remember the good old days of the early 90s in Los Angeles when there were literally tons of independent video game stores with lots of imports and classic stuff. Sadly, those days are long gone.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Is that the place with the weird white guy owner who lets dogs into his store (He's opened up and closed up shop in Little Tokyo like 4 different times)? If so, avoid this place.
Search up Gamedude. Be broke and be amazed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i remember walking into that store (little tokyo one) and the guy was so excited that he made 50 dollars that day. lol

Gameland which used to be inside a Western Union on Santa Monica Blvd. and La Brea in West Hollywood moved to the old downtown area of Burbank. Unfortunately, their selection is still limited, their used games are still dusty and their prices are still high. Not sure if they are still connected in some way to Sega Parts.

whoo~!! I went to Games For Less Fullerton per bojay's recommendation!

qPnkR.jpg

lots of stuff, but honestly it was expensive!!

Goonie's II was $10 there, whereas it was only $4 at Game Dude.

Found my copy of Journey to Silius for $10 tho! and Codename Viper set me back another $15 >_< jus coz I wanted to be nice and give them more of my money.

saw some other stuff I was interested in as well, Clash at Demonhead, Jackal, and Guardian Legend,

but I think Im set for at least a month before I go back NES game shopping,

or at least til I get bored and wanna check out a new store

There's this place called Gameplay in Los Angeles. They sell games all the way back to the NES. If you're looking for certain games for it, just give them a call at (310)842-7776

bread's done
Back