Monado: Beginning of the World / Xenoblade (Wii) Pre-Order @ amazon ($59.99)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Before coming in here to complain MSRP isn't a deal, please listen for a bit!

There is an increasingly growing campaign, spanning multiple forums and gaming sites (NeoGaf, IGN, GoNintendo, Kotaku, Destructoid, Gamefaqs, Nintendoeverything, and more), trying to get Nintendo to listen up and release this (+The Last Story and Pandora's Tower) in the U.S.

The campaign includes snail mail writing, e-mail, phone calls, facebook, and twitter and the turn-out has been beyond all expectations thus far. Comments on Nintendo's Facebook had passed 1,300 in just 24 hours.

But actions speak louder than words, so to convey that Nintendo fans really want this, people have decided to show for it by pre-ordering on amazon -- hoping to get it to the #1 sales rank in video games from #12,000+

Results:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #30 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > Action
#5 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

See this too: http://666kb.com/i/bunsqwbujfsk3nuqf.gif

So the deal is this, please pre-order it to help get it released in the U.S. Remember: actions speak louder than words.

Pre-Order: http://www.amazon.com/Monado-Beginn...1MYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309008677&sr=8-1

It costs nothing to pre-order! also, if the game does come out, the MSRP will surely drop to $49.99.

Edit -- Update #1:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #25 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#4 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #2:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #24 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#3 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #3 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#16 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#3 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #4 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#9 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #5 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#4 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a ton about Nintendo and how they work. But why don't NoA and Reggie want this to be released here? They just think they'll spend more money translating it and releasing it than they would make in actual sales? Or is there something else preventing it?

[quote name='illmatic21']I don't know a ton about Nintendo and how they work. But why don't NoA and Reggie want this to be released here? They just think they'll spend more money translating it and releasing it than they would make in actual sales? Or is there something else preventing it?[/QUOTE]

Why the hell didn't they bring Mother 3 over? Seriously, don't try to get into Nintendo's head. It's like bizzaro world in there.

[quote name='illmatic21']I don't know a ton about Nintendo and how they work. But why don't NoA and Reggie want this to be released here? They just think they'll spend more money translating it and releasing it than they would make in actual sales? Or is there something else preventing it?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much that. Despite generating all of this hype for the game, develop a random game aimed at the casual audience and you'll probably see more than twice the sales of this game.

[quote name='oscargrouch']It seems deliberately vague to me...[/QUOTE]

It is Sunday afternoon. Whoever is authorize to say something is not going to be in the office until Monday.

[quote name='Shadowiii']Why the hell didn't they bring Mother 3 over? Seriously, don't try to get into Nintendo's head. It's like bizzaro world in there.[/QUOTE]

Main reason is likely due to Nintendo moving on from GBA to the DS at that point

Mother 3 also didn't have an English translation already done for them. Xenoblade and Last Story are entirely different situations.

[quote name='sokari']Pretty much that. Despite generating all of this hype for the game, develop a random game aimed at the casual audience and you'll probably see more than twice the sales of this game.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, Nintendo of Europe is doing English translations of both Xenoblade and The Last Story. All NOA would have to do is print the damn discs.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Thing is, Nintendo of Europe is doing English translations of both Xenoblade and The Last Story. All NOA would have to do is print the damn discs.[/QUOTE]

NOA can't really act out on their own. NOJ calls all the shots. I also think there is something with the voice actors (which, if that's the case, they could remove it and just make it text, I suppose).

I have heard that Square Enix has started translating games during the development process... something that Nintendo should really look into. :)

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']NOA can't really act out on their own. NOJ calls all the shots.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much...I don't think NOA has had their own say in anything since Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln retired.

Arakawa was President of NOA and son-in-law of the President of NOJ, and Lincoln was VP of NOA and a trusted friend of Arakawa. This is no longer the NOA where the VP could say he thinks NOJ's version of Super Mario Bros. 2 would bomb in America, so NOA is going to cancel it and make their own (and the rest is history).

Everyone's blaming Reggie for NOA not releasing JRPGs here, but I'm not sure he really has a say...this is an NOA where employees aren't even able to raise concerns about something like aspects they may've found problematic in Metroid: Other M.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']

I have heard that Square Enix has started translating games during the development process... something that Nintendo should really look into. :)[/QUOTE]

Which Nintendo does do for a good number of games. How do you think we got Super Paper Mario the same month as Japan? In fact Nintendo probably is the best at doing it when you look at their US and Japan release date.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Pretty much...I don't think NOA has had their own say in anything since Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln retired.

Arakawa was President of NOA and son-in-law of the President of NOJ, and Lincoln was VP of NOA and a trusted friend of Arakawa. This is no longer the NOA where the VP could say he thinks NOJ's version of Super Mario Bros. 2 would bomb in America, so NOA is going to cancel it and make their own (and the rest is history).

Everyone's blaming Reggie for NOA not releasing JRPGs here, but I'm not sure he really has a say...this is an NOA where employees aren't even able to raise concerns about something like aspects they may've found problematic in Metroid: Other M.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy it. NoA always got more games than Europe before Reggie came to power. I don't think it's a coincidence that since Reggie's arrival; niche games by Nintendo have barely come out here. I can't see why NoJ would allow Europe to get all these games and not NoA. Especially when they already have English translations done for them.

[quote name='Shadowiii']Why the hell didn't they bring Mother 3 over? Seriously, don't try to get into Nintendo's head. It's like bizzaro world in there.[/QUOTE]

So true, it's baffling trying to understand why Nintendo wont port any of these games over to NA even though they are already translated for EU.

[quote name='crazydom2']I don't buy it. NoA always got more games than Europe before Reggie came to power. I don't think it's a coincidence that since Reggie's arrival; niche games by Nintendo have barely come out here. I can't see why NoJ would allow Europe to get all these games and not NoA. Especially when they already have English translations done for them.[/QUOTE]

In his defense Reggie was the one who was pushing Elite Beat Agent

[quote name='62t']In his defense Reggie was the one who was pushing Elite Beat Agent[/QUOTE]

And he's also the reason we probably don't have a sequel since he publicly said the sales disappointed him. It just seems to me that Reggie seems to see any game that won't clear 500k+, even if it will make a profit, pointless to bring over. I can't see how Xenoblade and Last Story wouldn't ultimately make a profit considering all NoA would have to do is distribution. But Reggie most likely sees the profit they would make as minimal.

And I mean, considering his job IS to make as much profit as possible, I can't really hate him for that. It's just aggravating.

[quote name='crazydom2']And I mean, considering his job IS to make as much profit as possible, I can't really hate him for that. It's just aggravating.[/QUOTE]

Again, I understand that is his job, but then it's like... how would it be impossible to make money off this or the other games? There's no way text translation and localization costs -that- much, even for an rpg. We've been doing this for decades now. The game is already made, all you need is to put it in another language. In some cases, they are already being translated into english as well!

Examples in my head:
1: You sell 200k copies, which sounds low, but it would only take 50k copies sold to recoup localization costs, you made atleast some profit

2: You license the game to another copy for a decent amount, they localize it, make said low profits, you have guaranteed money in the bank regardless of how well the game does

3: You only sell it in japan and lose all possible sales in the rest of the world.

Yes, the wii user base for games like this is small, as well as the jrpg fanbase in general these days. Yes, it won't hit 1 million sales. Yes, it won't print money. However, a game I like using to compare basing on how very japanese it is and it didn't even HAVE an english dub(thus shrinking it's demographic further) is muramasa. Let's assume vgchartz is mostly or atleast somewhat accurate on this account. Based on their numbers, japan contributed 25% of the total sales.

Take another super japanese rpg released this gen, blue dragon, and japan contributed barely over 25% of the sales. And that one I didn't plan on finding something in a similar range, I just thought of one off the top of my head. This is of course a 360 title only, so it may be skewed.

FFXIII japan has about half the sales on the ps3 version. A large amount yes, but DOUBLING your sales by just translating your game? Not to mention when you factor in 360 sales japan comes out to only 1/3 of the total sales.

White Knight Chronicles-less than half
Vesperia-About half(and ps3 version is also only in japanese)
Lost Odyssey-1/8th...can that be right?
Magna Carta II - about 1/3
Fragile- 1/4

The japanese console market is freaking tiny, why can't they REALIZE this? The games are already made, this isn't rocket science! Am I just crazy? I don't have any degrees on the subject or any insider knowledge, but changing some text and voices in a few months in a game that took years to developer to double, triple or quadruple your sales seems beyond common sense to me. It's really like the ultimate double handed, double enterprise captain, face palm.

Looks like some people will have to mod if they want to enjoy this game. Its not as hard as people want to believe.

If people want to blame anyone blame NoJ

[quote name='Vortextk']Again, I understand that is his job, but then it's like... how would it be impossible to make money off this or the other games? [/QUOTE]

I think this is a large part of why:

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Preordered with no intention of paying anywhere near that much for it. Here's hoping it gets a U.S. release so I can scoop it up later in the bargain bin.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Preordered with no intention of paying anywhere near that much for it. Here's hoping it gets a U.S. release so I can scoop it up later in the bargain bin.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, you're part of the reason why these games wouldn't have come over in the first place.

well this just goes to show you why Nintendo is going to lose the console war. Huge competition taking place for the casual game markets has nintendo's future in doubt. Combine that with no share of the hardcore gaming market they come up with this halfbaked idea for the WIIU which let me tell you as is will be an epic failure.

Then the PS Vita + tablets and phone games competing with the mobile gaming market that nintendo at one time dominated and used to rely on to survive when the GC and N64 were struggling and you have a game company that has a very troubled future.

Id be surprised if Nintendo can survive as a hardware company when their strategies are just to activision it up by milking their major franchises and refusing to take risks or innovate. Nintendo would do well to study the music industries refusal to do online sales in the early 2000's until apple came along and really saved them from themselves.

Regardless of whether every game makes money or not nintendo would be wise to attract as many types of gamers as possible to their brand. Sony and Microsoft already do this and its the reason nintendo is going to be 3rd place next gen. Their refusal to lose money on anything is going the win the battle but lose the war strategy.

Next company to go the sega route is nintendo unless they change their stubborn stubborn ways.

[quote name='crazydom2']I don't buy it. NoA always got more games than Europe before Reggie came to power. I don't think it's a coincidence that since Reggie's arrival; niche games by Nintendo have barely come out here. I can't see why NoJ would allow Europe to get all these games and not NoA. Especially when they already have English translations done for them.[/QUOTE]

Because the European market != the American market. While I don't know what the video game market is like in Europe, I do know for other industries, what sells in Europe doesn't necessarily sell in the US market.

While I can see a point to why Nintendo would not want to bring it over here, but what annoys me is if they want to fuck around with not bringing crap here, why is the console is not region free. I would import it from Europe, but I can't unless I basically mod my Wii, which really does suck.

If they did release it. I would gladly pay whatever they wanted to charge for this game. It is proving a point that A) I as a gamer want to see more localized games from Japan, and B) I want to support the development of fresh, new games.

[quote name='Jawmuncher']For these RPGs why not make them limited like the Metroid Trilogy on wii?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't they want to make as much money as possible?

[quote name='Jawmuncher']For these RPGs why not make them limited like the Metroid Trilogy on wii?[/QUOTE]

That would probably drum up more hype than actual sales over the long run. Plus it'd also benefit the secondary market much more than the game makers themselves.

People who blame this on Fils-Aime forget Mother 3, Kururin, and plenty of others. The problem with Nintendo's policy isn't that they're not bringing these games over. It's that they refuse to let anyone ELSE bring them over. When Sony decided not to bring over Arc the Lad and Demon's Souls, they licensed them out. When Microsoft decided not to bring over Phantom Dust and Maximum Chase, they licensed them out. When Nintendo decided not to bring over Fatal Frame 4 and the sequel to Hotel Dusk, they flat-out refuse to let any other company do it. If Nintendo doesn't want to publish it, they've decided that we CAN NOT play it. That's the part that infuriates me. Open these games up to Atlus, XSEED, and Aksys. They'd be more than happy.

[quote name='mkelehan']People who blame this on Fils-Aime forget Mother 3, Kururin, and plenty of others. The problem with Nintendo's policy isn't that they're not bringing these games over. It's that they refuse to let anyone ELSE bring them over. When Sony decided not to bring over Arc the Lad and Demon's Souls, they licensed them out. When Microsoft decided not to bring over Phantom Dust and Maximum Chase, they licensed them out. When Nintendo decided not to bring over Fatal Frame 4 and the sequel to Hotel Dusk, they flat-out refuse to let any other company do it. If Nintendo doesn't want to publish it, they've decided that we CAN NOT play it. That's the part that infuriates me. Open these games up to Atlus, XSEED, and Aksys. They'd be more than happy.[/QUOTE]
Yes. This is actually pretty much a complete bullshit policy with Nintendo because I could imagine if Nintendo offered the chance to let someone localize it, there would be 3-4 companies trying to get rights to it. It's a lose/lose situation with gamers. Plus it's not like we can do shit about it either which annoys me.

Completely agreed of course as in my last post:
2: You license the game to another copy for a decent amount, they localize it, make said low profits, you have guaranteed money in the bank regardless of how well the game does
What is so hard about that? Atlus was probably like "fuck yeah demon's souls, keep on selling!", let someone like them try on these titles nintendo. Why are you balking at this?

[quote name='Vortextk']Completely agreed of course as in my last post:
What is so hard about that? Atlus was probably like "fuck yeah demon's souls, keep on selling!", let someone like them try on these titles nintendo. Why are you balking at this?[/QUOTE]

This probably does fall on NoJ and not NoA. NoJ probably has too much pride to let other companies publish their games. Cubivore was the extremely rare exception. I still think the fact that they're not coming over from Nintendo though falls on NoA until we get proof otherwise.

[quote name='nnthomas']The "bargain bin" logic would apply to any other publisher... except Nintendo[/QUOTE]
This right here. Almost four years have passed since its release, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 is STILL $49.99.

[quote name='crazydom2']This probably does fall on NoJ and not NoA. NoJ probably has too much pride to let other companies publish their games. Cubivore was the extremely rare exception. I still think the fact that they're not coming over from Nintendo though falls on NoA until we get proof otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I'm blaming nintendo in general. :)

Of course this whole debacle has only alerted me to another handful(atleast) of decent to good looking games that, OH LOOK, nintendo owns the publishing rights to and they've never released those games in the west. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

[quote name='eau']Cool. Even wikipedia has an article on this now :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rainfall

Xenoblades was developed by Monolith, the maker of Xenosaga series. Tetsuya Takahashi and his team has garnered critical reputation on several games such as Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos.[/QUOTE]

Xenoblade looks to be in line with their fantastic PS1 efforts rather than their ok PS2/GC efforts, which is why I'd really like to see that game make it stateside most of all.

Pre-ordered. I'll definitely buy this and I'll grab the others if they come out. I'm not that interested in Pandora, but it'll feel like the fans actually won one if it comes out in the U.S.

[quote name='momouchi']Whoa, you hatin' on Mystery Case Files?

:lol: Yeah, Nintendo does some really lame stuff sometimes.
[/QUOTE]

I got an email from Nintendo, or else I wouldn't have known, or cared.

I'm going to start getting on Nintendo's Facebook page and responding to every post by demanding that they localize Soma Bringer and Archaic Sealed Heat, and see how many people stare at me blankly.
icon_biggrin.gif

[quote name='bvharris']I'm going to start getting on Nintendo's Facebook page and responding to every post by demanding that they localize Soma Bringer and Archaic Sealed Heat, and see how many people stare at me blankly.
icon_biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]

The bastards did localize Archaic Sealed Heat and it was so close to release that it even got an ESRB rating, they just decided at the last moment that it was worth more to them to lock it away forever than to actually, y'know, release it :bomb:

If you're in for pestering them about ASH and Soma Bringer, I'm in for pestering them about Zangeki no Reginleiv and Project Hacker! ;)
I know, I know, we have to concentrate our efforts on the best stuff right now.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I got an email from Nintendo, or else I wouldn't have known, or cared.[/QUOTE]

About you being the "Detective"?

I instant deleted that one. Figured it had nothing decent inside.

Anyways, Preordered :D

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Europe gets a special edition: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/28/xenoblade-chronicles-gets-european-special-edition-very-europea/

And we still probably won't get the game.[/QUOTE]

Jeez. The British voice acting is wonderful. They don't need to redo anything for us. A direct port is more than enough for me.

Nintendo's taking its sweet time with this "update". Also, we've lost the #1 spot. :( I might end up modding my Wii to import the European version. Nintendo of America can go fuck itself if it doesn't think the U.S. deserves to get this game.

Well, I did my part.

Sure was nice of Nintendo to buy Monolith just so we Americans could never play another game of theirs.

[quote name='Tsnake617']Nintendo's taking its sweet time with this "update". Also, we've lost the #1 spot. :( I might end up modding my Wii to import the European version. Nintendo of America can go fuck itself if it doesn't think the U.S. deserves to get this game.[/QUOTE]

Thinking of doing the same

[quote name='johnmirra']I will absolutly be importing these from EU if they dont come here.[/QUOTE]

I want these games. I want to play my wii.(snicker) I want to play the latest sakaguchi title. I want the CHOICE, MY choice to decide if I ultimately get these, but yes I think I'll do the same if europe gets them and we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back