Monitor for Gaming

lcd hdtv is just a monitor with extra inputs, speakers, and a tuner.

you want a monitor with a good contrast, a good maximum brightness, and a low response time (black to white), just like a tv.

you also need to see if the monitor comes with hdmi inputs and if you don't have any, built in speakers. if it doesn't and its still a good deal, you can buy a dvi to hdmi adapter for like 3$. however, then you lose the sound hdmi carries. you can get around that if you have speakers using either your regular stereo red and white, or using an optical audio cable.

finally, if you plan on watching TV on this you'll need a tuner, which i have no idea about prices for or what kind you'd need. hell, you might not actually need this any more with the switch to digital, but i have no clue, don't watch tv.

if you're going to shop for a monitor, just keep your eyes on FW or SD deals. techbargains.com is another good place to look.

here from tech bargains, 24in samsung with hdmi for 165$, free shipping.
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/204977

no speakers that i can see though.

[quote name='darkskill']I'm looking for a monitor to play my PS3 on, I can't afford a decent size HDTV yet so I figure this is the next best thing. This monitor is on sale for 169.99 at Fred Meyer, is it a good deal? I really don't know anything about monitors so I'm really in the dark here.. thanks.[/QUOTE]Your link isn't working for me right now... but here's what I used until I got a chance to upgrade to a "proper" HDTV.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH242H-2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271470550&sr=8-1

I used it for both 360 (HDMI) and PS3 and it looked great on both. (Note: I does only have one HDMI port.)

It does have speakers. They aren't going to set the world on fire but they're nice enough to get the job done. (Also if does have an audio out jack for headphones but if you have PC speakers you shouldn't have any trouble getting more sound out of it if need be.)

Also if you have HD cable with a convertor box you can watch tv via it. (HDMI to HDMI) Just realize you will be getting up to adjust the volume... No remote control and no sensor for a universal one)

Really, after using this thing for nearly a year my only complaints were:

1) The monitor would never go into an energy save mode when in HDMI so you have to turn it off manually. (Unlike a monitor in VGA, which it would do just fine.)

2) White is really bright... So don't get flash banged in MW.

Lastly, and with all tech, it seems like they have a new version out...

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VW246H-24-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B001LYWBOM/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

It has slightly faster response time. (2ms versus to 5ms my hand.)

[quote name='chrislisting']im in a similar spot, which would you choose between these two
Sylvania LC195SLX
Haier HL19R1[/QUOTE]
i would compare the shit i listed in my post including the price and then make a decision.

Here's the monitor I mentioned earlier on a diff site: http://www.infotechnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6839&s=froogle

I ended up getting the Acer H213H from Target ( http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H213H-bm...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271481853&sr=8-1 )
... it looks great, but two problems. The display model in the store had HDMI. But for some reason, the one I bought didn't, even though it's the exact same model #. I realized when I got home. And it also has 2 red stuck pixels. SO I'ma take it back tomorrow.. It's unfortunate cause the picture is really good... oh well.

[quote name='darkskill']I ended up getting the Acer H213H from Target.[/quote]

Acer is a good company. Note: The monitor I listed is pretty close in price range and has a far better contrast ration than the one you got.

Interesting on the HDMI port... I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer nor would I take the display monitor. (Those things are on far too much and seen far too much action.)

[quote name='chrislisting']im in a similar spot, which would you choose between these two.[/quote]

Frankly, neither... Sylvania is a product I'm well aware of due to my father's desire to buy cheap electronics... Its cheap electronics.

Haier, is a company I've never heard of... Not necessary a deathblow but it makes me leery. Its also has a non standard resolution... again maybe not a deathblow but why risk the money.
[quote name='argyle']I was in the market for a small monitor/HDTV to use w/ my PS3, laptop, etc. when my wife wanted to watch TV on our main set. I ordered this just this week[/QUOTE]Looks like a steal at that price... (I'm tempted to get one to start purging the SDTV in the house.)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']
Interesting on the HDMI port... I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer nor would I take the display monitor. (Those things are on far too much and seen far too much action.)
[/QUOTE]

Funny you mentioned that, because they did offer to sell me the display monitor for 10% off, and I was gonna do it since it had the same return policy. But they couldn't find the original box and instructions/cables so I declined.

[quote name='darkskill']Here's the monitor I mentioned earlier on a diff site: http://www.infotechnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6839&s=froogle

I ended up getting the Acer H213H from Target ( http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H213H-bm...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271481853&sr=8-1 )
... it looks great, but two problems. The display model in the store had HDMI. But for some reason, the one I bought didn't, even though it's the exact same model #. I realized when I got home. And it also has 2 red stuck pixels. SO I'ma take it back tomorrow.. It's unfortunate cause the picture is really good... oh well.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact same one I picked up. Unfortunately stuck pixels and white lines at the top(and sometimes bottom) of the screen are a common occurence on them. I think I have some of the white line issue at times on the top of my screen.

Good part is that the monitor is now on clearance for cheaper than the $150-160 I paid for it. Bad part is that you probably won't be able to find them in Target in 2-3 months if you have a problem with it and don't want to go back through Acer for repairs/replacement.

Great monitor(minus the two tiny 1w speakers).

Oh and btw, my monitor had the HDMI port on it, even though it was clearly an open box/someone's return. Maybe someone bought one of the H213H's and returned an older model Acer to the store to get their money back? I'd take it back and look for another one in your area and ask them to open the box right in the store to make sure it's not someone's return like mine was.

Only reason I kept mine was they gave me a 10% shopworn discount($15.99 off)on it.

Yeah it was sealed, but I think it was a return because a big chunk of the Styrofoam casing was broken off and I know it wasn't me who did it, cause it was broken when I pulled it out. Just a big ol chunk missing. I ended up taking it back anyway, so I'm still looking. I don't wanna buy one online because if I have problems it will be a hassle to return.

[quote name='darkskill']I don't wanna buy one online because if I have problems it will be a hassle to return.[/QUOTE]It really comes down to who you use... I've had great success with Amazon and newegg when it comes to technology.

Honestly, I bought a thousand dollar HDTV from newegg sight unseen and without a second's hesitation and would recommend it to anyone. Better selection, better inventory control, better prices. (Even when shipping cost is considered.)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Bad part is that you probably won't be able to find them in Target in 2-3 months if you have a problem with it and don't want to go back through Acer for repairs/replacement.[/QUOTE]

And Acer's tech support blows. They're incompetent and rude.

Personally, I won't buy anything but a Dell or Samsung monitor from now on. While Samsung has slightly better tech support, both companies offer warranties with advance exchange. So if you have a problem, you'll get a replacement first, then you box up the defective one and send it back.

They might cost a bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it, especially if you've had to deal with the nightmare that is Acer tech support.

[quote name='darkskill']Yeah it was sealed, but I think it was a return because a big chunk of the Styrofoam casing was broken off and I know it wasn't me who did it, cause it was broken when I pulled it out. Just a big ol chunk missing. I ended up taking it back anyway, so I'm still looking. I don't wanna buy one online because if I have problems it will be a hassle to return.[/QUOTE]

When you buy from Target they dont care whether your TV works .. Newegg makes sure it works cause they only sell electronics where as Target if you want a dildo that plays a aerosmith song I'm sure thats available for you. So your attitude to where you'll buy items is the reason you get stuck with a piece of shit... Good luck though.

I buy only from samsung LCD PC monitors and Televisions all the same.
Same way if im going to buy a computer mouse I'm going to buy a logitech.
Or if im going to buy a PC Gaming headset its going to be from Steelseries.
Nothing but good luck from these companies and when you take the cheap ass gamer way you play with cheap ass junk... When it comes to hardware.

the ones in ur post aremuch better obviously, but i dont have those options, i have to kinda pick between those 2 .... id rather not, but since i do, i just hoped someone would be able to tell the difference

INMATE of ARKHAM, if the resolution on the haier is off, then i guess the sylvania is what i have to go with since its standard....i know sylvania sucks, but like i said its between those two so i should get the standard res/hz right?

thanks dude

What exactly do I need to use to my 360 or PS3 on my computer monitor? I've heard people saying sound doesn't work unless you have some sort of plug in nearby. Is there any simple solution to playing a console on a monitor?

[quote name='SelmaBlair']What exactly do I need to use to my 360 or PS3 on my computer monitor? I've heard people saying sound doesn't work unless you have some sort of plug in nearby. Is there any simple solution to playing a console on a monitor?[/QUOTE]
The answers certainly wouldn't be found in THIS VERY THREAD WOULD IT!? NO THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

[quote name='some unknown prodigy of his time']lcd hdtv is just a monitor with extra inputs, speakers, and a tuner.

you want a monitor with a good contrast, a good maximum brightness, and a low response time (black to white), just like a tv.

you also need to see if the monitor comes with hdmi inputs and if you don't have any, built in speakers. if it doesn't and its still a good deal, you can buy a dvi to hdmi adapter for like 3$. however, then you lose the sound hdmi carries. you can get around that if you have speakers using either your regular stereo red and white, or using an optical audio cable.[/quote]

SIMPLE SOLUTION=​
BUY A MONITOR WITH SPEAKERS AND AN HDMI CONNECTION BUILT IN

SUPER-DUPER-ADVANCED-SOLUTION-THAT-NO-ONE-WOULD-TYPICALLY-EVER-BE-ABLE-TO-FIGURE-OUT-BECAUSE-ITS-JUST-THAT-fuckING-ADVANCED-EXCEPT-YOUR-BOY-CK64-IS-NOW-GOING-TO-UNRAVEL-THIS-GOD-DAMNED-MYSTERY-OF-THE-UNIVERSE-FOR-YOU=​
BUY ANY MONITOR WITH DVI, BUY AN HDMI TO DVI ADAPTER, BUY SOME SELF CONTAINED SPEAKERS (HAVE THEIR OWN POWER AND INPUTS AND SHIT) AND/OR USE AN EXISTING SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH EITHER AN OPTICAL AUDIO INPUT OR YOUR REGULAR RCA RED AND WHITE, PLUG IN THE VIDEO VIA HDMI, PLUG IN THE SOUND VIA ToSLINK OR RED+WHITE TO YOUR SPEAKER SYSTEM, HOLY SHIT MYSTERY SOLVED AND THIS CERTAINLY ISN'T SAYING THE EXACT SAME fuckING THING I POSTED AS THE SECOND MOTHERfuckING POST IN THIS THREAD

[quote name='crystalklear64']The answers certainly wouldn't be found in THIS VERY THREAD WOULD IT!? NO THAT WOULD BE CRAZY
[/QUOTE]

I just wanted a simple list of things to buy, I read your original post and didn't care about a single thing you said.

This whole thing requires too much effort so I'll pass. You seem bitter though you should get that looked at.

LMAO Pardon the newbies. They want all the info spoon fed to them and not to have to do anything called reading.

And Selma, here's the tl;dr version: If your monitor has a DVI port with HDCP support, buy a $5 DVI to HDMI adapter that converts it to a HDMI port.

If the monitor has speakers, then you should be set. If not, you'll have to figure out some sort of external speaker setup.

Or....just buy the Acer monitor I have for $111.98(clearance price) at Target, plug in the HDMI cable to the back of the monitor, then to the back of the console you wanna use it on and away you go.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']This whole thing requires too much effort so I'll pass. You seem bitter though you should get that looked at.[/QUOTE]
Buying things online is pretty tough.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Buying things online is pretty tough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah for sure, I gotta like type in a bunch of info and stuff all the time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LMAO Pardon the newbies. They want all the info spoon fed to them and not to have to do anything called reading.

And Selma, here's the tl;dr version:[/QUOTE]

Oh no don't get me wrong I read his posts thing is though.. I actually go outside once n' awhile so I wanted the "I don't sit on newegg all day" version of it.

bread's done
Back