Monitor Screen Question

Veronica Mars

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I couldn't find another place for this, so sorry If I messed up.

My laptop which is only a few months old, started giving me problems with white pixels that wouldn't change color. Then, about 2-3 months later, the screen started turning brown. I sent it in, and the insurance is telling me it's water damamge. I can't find anything online about this.

Anyone have any ideas what can cause a screen to turn brown? It's only the edges, but it's spreading towards the middle.

The computer has insurance. I guess they send it to a third-party technician, who is stating I dropped water on it. I guess the insurance covers everything but water damage. I never even drank water next to it, so I was wondering if anyone knew what else can cause the screen to turn "Brownish."

IMG_0050.jpg

here is what water damage looks like. Did you photograph the screen before you sent it off?

I havent heard of a Brownish screen before... Could it of been under a bunch of books or something? Odd.

Sounds like this insurance company is trying to get out of covering your laptop... they're saying you dropped it in the water and you know you didn't.

Pictures would definitely help if you can provide some. Also, it might help if you ask Apple what can cause a screen to go brown. I've never heard of such a thing.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Lice']
IMG_0050.jpg

here is what water damage looks like. Did you photograph the screen before you sent it off?

I havent heard of a Brownish screen before... Could it of been under a bunch of books or something? Odd.[/quote]

No, I don't even take it out of the house, since I'm was scared of dropping it. It doesn't look anything like that. The screen is fine, just the edges are turning brown.

I asked, and they're insisting it's water. However, I kept asking one of the "technicians" on the phone I was talking to, and they finally admitted it could be caused by something other then just water.

No, for some reason I didn't take pictures.. I should have, now that I think about it. I can not find anything about it online, but I guess I'll ask them to send it back. I was thinking about getting a second opinion from someone local.

The second labtop, same exact model, is doing it also! I'm beggining to think they are bad computers.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe our house is damp, but I would think someone would have noticed something by now.

Are some lappy computers cheap? I mean that you have two of them. Are you storing those Macbooks near a heater or something? Brown computer screen, I never saw one before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Compaq's. Someone posted a picture ( apple laptop ) to show me what water-damage looks like, and it looks nothing like it. After calling a "Case-Manager", he said they would fix it as a favor. Once the second one get's worse, I'll take pics if anyone else is interested.

I'm anti-Compaq for life now. I'll just pay the extra bucks and get HP, since they seem to care more about HP's then Compaq's

-After my harddrive died on my apple, I didn't feel like paying that much to get another one.

- No, no heaters in any rooms, and the house heater is shut-off.

Oooh, that's weird that you mention Compaq. I remember their old Armada series had a penchant for whiting-out the LCD screens when the connector tab (from the board to the screen) would develop corrosion on the pins. And that certainly wasn't user error-imore like inferior materials. But that was ten years ago, they couldn't still be making the same mistakes could they? :hot:

I guess if you can't get anywhere getting them to cover it, you could always try changing the screen yourself, I've heard it's a cheaper solution(never tried it myself tho). You don't have to pay labor costs, and new screens are considerably cheaper than a new comp.

Thanks.
I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with water damage. I'll take pics when the second one get's worse, so you guys can give me better/different opinion.

So, they claiming my air is too humid, and ruined it. They're gonna fix it, so I should get it sometime next week. I'm keeping the fan running most of the day, so I hope that helps.

This could be something completely different, but...

I've had an issue with a Dell flat panel (LCD) monitor. Not laptop screen but a desktop monitor. The edges became discolored, more gray than brown, but in an irregular way that looked like water stains. It was never exposed to water, it's not humid here, and two other displays right next to it are fine.

I had a computer problem that caused me to not use this monitor for months. When I began using it again, voila, no "water stain." After a little time, however, it was back.

Then I began noticing that part of the stain looked a little bit like an icon. I had been using this monitor nearly exclusively for my e-mail inbox window. Supposedly, LCD panels rarely if ever have "burn-in" but they can develop image persistence. I left the monitor on for a long time with just a white image, and the "water stains" went away. Unfortunately, it seems like the monitor is becoming increasingly susceptible to developing this persistence.

Again, your problem may be completely different, but if there's any way to leave your display off for a few days or weeks, or otherwise display an all white background for an extended period, try it and see if it improves or eliminates the issue. If it does, it may not fix it permanently and avoid having to have the panel replaced, but at least you'll have a better argument next time that it's not water damage.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I have Compaq's. Someone posted a picture ( apple laptop ) to show me what water-damage looks like, and it looks nothing like it. After calling a "Case-Manager", he said they would fix it as a favor. Once the second one get's worse, I'll take pics if anyone else is interested.

I'm anti-Compaq for life now. I'll just pay the extra bucks and get HP, since they seem to care more about HP's then Compaq's

-After my harddrive died on my apple, I didn't feel like paying that much to get another one.

- No, no heaters in any rooms, and the house heater is shut-off.[/QUOTE]

HP bought out Compaq. They're basically the same computers.

[quote name='Access_Denied']HP bought out Compaq. They're basically the same computers.[/quote]

I know, but to me, they've always fixed my HP computers with no problems. For the Compaq, I basically have been calling everyday, since no progress is being made.

bread's done
Back