Monitor VS TV?

Jest

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I went through 3 pages or so and haven't seen one of these threads.

I'm looking to buy a TV or monitor for my room. I'm a college student without much room so I'm looking around the 24-27inch range. It would be used to play PS3/360 mostly, watch Blurays/DVDs, and I'd occasionally hook my notebook up to it when I need more screen realestate or when watching stuff I download.

Anyone know how 1920x1200 effects the PS3 and Xbox through HDMI? Right not I am leaning towards a monitor, because of the higher resoultion. I don't think I want to spend the extra money to get a 1080p TV at that size. There is the T260HD which seems like a great fit, but its about $100 more than I want to spend right now. I'm looking at an under $500 budget, hoping for under $400 to keep it under $500 with taxes. Canadian prices by the way -_-.

At that size screen you won't even be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Also, if you get an HDTV it will have a tuner (so you can watch TV on it too). A monitor won't have this.

[quote name='tsmvengy']At that size screen you won't even be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Also, if you get an HDTV it will have a tuner (so you can watch TV on it too). A monitor won't have this.[/quote]
Newegg sells tuners that hook up to monitors or if he has a desktop PC he can get video cards that will do the same thing.

Whatever you get, try to get something with 1:1 720p or 1080p (obviously preferred) capability. Very few monitors will do anywhere NEAR a decent job scaling, so you need something that will let you do 1:1.

[quote name='dandragonrage']Whatever you get, try to get something with 1:1 720p or 1080p (obviously preferred) capability. Very few monitors will do anywhere NEAR a decent job scaling, so you need something that will let you do 1:1.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this man. Be careful if you want to get a monitor for use with non-PC related viewing. Most monitors say they handle 720p and what not but they do a terrible job scaling.

I have a 21" Samsung monitor capable of 720p (something like 1368x768) but when it scales a 720p image to 1680x1050 (its native resolution), it looks horrible. But PC graphics look fantastic on it regardless of resolution.

monitors are a nice cheap option...but remeber its 16:10 aspect ratio (for pc it doesn't matter, but for ps3 at least most games are cropped)

my 22" vizio lcd is 1680x1050, 720p/1080i, i think i paid like $280 for it around christmas. Nice tv, haven't tried HDMI on it yet though.

stuff hooked up with A/V cables looks all blurry and washed out

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']stuff hooked up with A/V cables looks all blurry and washed out[/QUOTE]

And it always will, on anything. http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=193&title=Seeing is Believing: Video Connections

I run my JVC X'eye (Sega Genesis+CD clone) with RGB. Night and day difference from composite. Comparing both as run through my DVDO Edge. The picture is sharper than my roommate's Nintendo Wii via composite (obviously the much newer system has more overall picture detail, way bigger palette, but he REALLY needs to get a component cable for it)

OP, avoid 1680x1050 displays, especially cheap ones. Not even all 1920x1200 monitors will do 1080p decently.

bread's done
Back