Monster Hunter Tri

[quote name='Seventh']
I know this news has already been posted within the Nintendo Summit meeting thread, however I believe this deserved a thread of its own considering [/QUOTE]

I am so obnoxious quoting myself like so.

P.S your welcome. I am excited also.

[quote name='snipegod']As far as the demo is concerned, do you have to preorder through Gamestop to get it?[/QUOTE]

No it seems as though you can pick it up at gamestop or if you go to the capcom site for monster hunter tri they will ship one to you if you do not have a local gamestop.

I read they need to fix the site, so check back again in a couple days to try again. You might be registered, but don't count on it yet.

Tried registering to get the free demo so I can pass it around to friends, but no confirmation on registration yet. And I can't access the forms for the demo to add a shipping address either.

I've not set foot in a GS in years and would like to keep it that way.

Does this still have similar controls to the PS2 games? I remember playing the beta for the first one and not really liking the aiming controls.

You can change the control style. They have 3, PS2, PSP and the new Wii controls. I'll most likely be playing the PSP controls.

[quote name='Cao Cao']They've started to release marketing videos:
[/QUOTE]

What's in your wallet?

The game trailers look good and the bonus 500 pt. card & $5 off the CC Pro bundle at GS makes me lean towards pre-ordering there. I hope there are a few CAG's getting this day one so we can party up.

Never played a Monster Hunter game before, but this one has piqued my interest. If I enjoy the demo, I should be picking this up day one, as well. Thanks for putting up the site to where I could get the demo also, Droenixjpn. Much appreciated.

Capcom has run out of demos to mail-out, so they've removed the meat icon from the site:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115801

[quote name='Capcom Employee']Nice work on getting people pumped! But, unfortunately, we had limited quantities of the [Monster Hunter Tri] demo (as was stated in the “Rewards” section). So since we’ve reached our limit, we removed the icon for now. To make sure others get the demo, it would be best to direct them to a GameStop store. Keep your eyes peeled though, as we have another item for the “Rewards” section in the coming weeks.[/quote]

Just a heads up for people who preordered this.

I figured I'd save on shipping by pre-ordering the bundle at GameStop. When I got home I noticed my total for the bundle (game, controller, 500pts card) came to $65.69, but on GameStop's website the bundle is $54.99.

I hope it's not a web only type deal. What it IS is annoying that as a customer I had to spot this! Sneaky hobbitses! Makes me mad enough to wanna just cancel and order from Amazon, out of spite. lol.

[quote name='amphigorey']Just a heads up for people who preordered this.

I figured I'd save on shipping by pre-ordering the bundle at GameStop. When I got home I noticed my total for the bundle (game, controller, 500pts card) came to $65.69, but on GameStop's website the bundle is $54.99.

I hope it's not a web only type deal. What it IS is annoying that as a customer I had to spot this! Sneaky hobbitses! Makes me mad enough to wanna just cancel and order from Amazon, out of spite. lol.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77003
According to the product page, for in-store pre-orders, the $5 discount will be applied at the time of purchase for some inane reason.

Reserve Monster Hunter Tri and save $5 off the original price of $59.99. Store Customers: Discount will be taken at time of purchase.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well let me explain it in simplest terms. As long as this game follows the PSP version's style of gameplay which is should, I can give a description. What happens is you start in a main area which is a small city sort of. This is where you get weapons, and get missions and such. Your goal is to complete missions. Missions are broken up by levels of difficulty and when you complete a level a new level unlocks with a new quest map. Each time you take a mission you go into a quest map where the monsters to kill/things to gather are. You also find items around scattered around the area/drops off the enemies to upgrade your weapons. You choose a weapon/armor and then start upgrading it whenever you get new items to do so. Each weapon/armor has it's own upgrade path.

The game is a fun game except the PSP version is fucking hard and I expect this version to be no different (except on a bigger screen which would be nice).

I for one am excited but I don't know if I will get the CC Pro bundle. It all depends if they fix the joysticks, I found them to be idk if too sensitive is the right word but very hard to use.[/QUOTE]

One of the big differences though for the Wii is that the controls are much more intuitive now. I always thought that the reason why the game felt so hard before was because you were constantly struggling with the camera and controls. You would be in heated battle, and can't find which way to turn to see where the action is.

You guys, you can switch the controls. They have three of them. PSP, PS2 and Wii.

Plus, the camera will be a lot easier. (Thanks to that 2nd stick)

I think I am going to jump on this game.

*edit:

Anyone get an email from Joy at Capcom unity?

Wow...:

hello
dear new friend,My name is monica i am a lonely girl searching for friendship,and i came across your profile today and became interested to contact you.and i will like to make good friendship with you.
I want you to reply my mail to my private email address so i can give you my pictures for you to know who i am and tell you more things about me.here is my email address below
([email protected])
i will be waiting for your soonest reply.thank you and remain blessed.
yours new found friend.
monica
([email protected])

Worth a laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to gamestop for a Wii points card, they have the demos although I was the only one to take one, even though there was free written on the box :lol:.

Anyway the game is good and the controls are better than the PSP version.

I picked up the demo yesterday while putting a pre-order on the game (one cashier told me I had to pre-order the game to get the demo but his co-worker quickly corrected him and told him I didn't need to). Regardless, it's a good deal with the 500 Wii points card & $5.00 off the CCPro bundle.

I played both missions last night. Despite this being my first time playing MH, I was able to knock out the 1-star/first mission on my first try. The second didn't go down too smooth (3 stars), but it was fun. So far, I'm a fan of the long sword, but I want to try the bowgun, axe, and hammer soon.

The game looks great - definitely looking forward to playing the full version soon.

Okay, I have updated the OP with evidence for people to take with them when they try and get the demo at Gamestop. This way, you can play Phoenix Wright and OBJECTION their asses if they try and make you pre-order to get it.

I picked up a copy of the demo tonight. Certainly were no problems with getting a copy. They had them sitting out (though I asked for it as I didn't see the box - actually I didn't even look for it, it was out in the open. Silly me.) Unfortunately I won't be able to test it out until tomorrow night at the earliest. Maybe not until this weekend. Will then decide whether or not to pre-order. GS has a good deal there with $5 off and $5 worth of points.

They made me preorder. i argued but did not have the "proof". I just printed that page out, basically to prove a point. Didnt really have time to play the demo yet.

[quote name='Seventh']

Glad I got my pre-order all set with Gamestop when they had the 15% off deal going on :).[/QUOTE]

What deal was this? Guess I'm not reading CAG closely enough... *sigh*

yeah there were a few posts about it. It didnt take off though as I started a thread that go hardly any response on the matter.

[quote name='Snake2715']yeah there were a few posts about it. It didnt take off though as I started a thread that go hardly any response on the matter.[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, I got my $50.36 shipped CCPro bundle! Sucks I'll have to wait some days for it, but ah well. I'll suck just as much Day 1 as I will Day 5.

I got the demo, but I left one Gamestop who wanted to make me preorder for it, and went to one right down the street and just picked one up.

*sigh*

I'm still waiting on my demo to come in the mail. I'm hoping it arrives sometime this weekend.

*really does not want to go to GS to pick one up*

[quote name='kurrptsenate']At my GameStop, you have to preorder the game in order to get a demo disc and thats what was relayed from the manager of the store[/QUOTE]

Like I said, print out the link from the page I have in the OP to show them what's for!

picked up a demo today. The store just has them in front of the register.

I just played the first mission twice. The first time I decided to use a heavy bow and spent 20 minutes dying. My second play through, I chose the long sword and beat the quest in the final 5 minutes. Are you supposed to be able to solo with a bow character?

Ugh. I think I need to go bitch at my Gamestop for my $5 off.

I paid off the bundled version in full with credit. It started at $59.99 and in Virginia, you don't pay tax when using store credit. I realized it was fishy at the time but I figured that perhaps the $5 off was online only so I didn't sweat it (because with shipping + tax I'd be over $5 anyways). I just checked the Gamestop website and noticed that the $5 will be taken off at the time of the purchase. Unless they magically give me $5 in credit come April, I seem to have screwed myself out of the discount. Ah well, off I go.

They should refund you the $5 at purchase on April 20th as it'll take it off then and put you in the negative (giving you money back).

I didn't want to risk it. Things actually worked out for the best. I went to GS, cancelled my preorder, re-preordered the bundle with $5, got the money put back on my Edge card, and came home to discover the BOGO sale at Gamestop.com. The money from that preorder turned into approximately 4 and a half games.

[quote name='Halo05']I didn't want to risk it. Things actually worked out for the best. I went to GS, cancelled my preorder, re-preordered the bundle with $5, got the money put back on my Edge card, and came home to discover the BOGO sale at Gamestop.com. The money from that preorder turned into approximately 4 and a half games.[/QUOTE]

Sc0re! Is GS doing a midnight release for this one?

No idea. Seems unlikely given past MH sales in the US but who knows?

I finally played the demo. I dunno, control issues that existed with the PSP should not still exist when I'm using a Classic Controller Pro (I have an imported one from about a year ago).

they have to get enough preorders for a specific game in order to do this. I know certain stores are opening 3 hours early for the DSi XL, so its possible. Chances are, you need to preorder it at a strip store as opposed to one in a mall

[quote name='evanft']Played the demo. The camera was crap and the load screen in between each area was annoying as fuck.[/QUOTE]
I don't have the demo, but I watched the giantbomb quick look. All I could think was how clunky it looked, he kept missing attacks and getting hit in the back while he was waiting for animations to finish. Missing enemies cause they moved really fast while his swings were slow. I dunno, looked pretty bad to me ... I don't have a nearby gamestop to go get a disc so I probably won't be giving this game a chance.

Pre-ordered my copy through Amazon, don't really care too much about the demo. More interested in getting the $10 dollar credit and applying it towards other games I'm buying. Plus the $5 off at GS means nothing to me because plus tax it comes out to almost the same price as Amazon.

[quote name='Kaoz']I don't have the demo, but I watched the giantbomb quick look. All I could think was how clunky it looked, he kept missing attacks and getting hit in the back while he was waiting for animations to finish. Missing enemies cause they moved really fast while his swings were slow. I dunno, looked pretty bad to me ... I don't have a nearby gamestop to go get a disc so I probably won't be giving this game a chance.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly starting to think that this is a really shitty game with an inexplicable cult following. When I was playing it, I felt like the developers hadn't played a 3D action game in 10 years. That's the only excuse for the bad camera and game mechanics.

I got the game demo in the mail from Capcom today.

I got to play it for about 20 mins before I had to turn off the Wii to do stuff for work. My impression so far:

Playing with a Wii remote sucks! I so wish for a Classic Controller (which I will have coming with my full retail copy of Tri). For anyone that played the original Monster Hunter on the PS2, they will probably be really irritated by the Wiimote. But then again, I'm not a fan of the Wiimote for action games. I'm going to keep plugging away at it though, just to try out all the different weapons.

Also, I know we get to customize our characters in retail. Would it have been too much to ask to include the character creator in the demo as well?

Edit: The game has two hunter missions you can go on. I played the first one where you go after a huge raptor boss. I was very surprised to see no ingame tutorial, especially for a demo title, you literally just get dumped into a mission and you're left alone to figure things out (hopefully this changes in the retail version). The demo disc did come with a huge poster that lists all the weapon types and how to control them via the Wii remote. I must have been quite a sight earlier... sitting down, with a huge ass poster on my lap, trying to figure out the different attacks while a pack of raptors gnawed on my ass.

i hated the demo, it could be because of the controller..

graphic looks amazing in trailer and picture, but looks really awful from the demo.. but i can live with it.

I still have it on preorder and i can't wait like many others.

bread's done
Back