Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 35th Anniv. Ed. (Blu-ray) Pre-Order $12.99

Ni!

Anyhow, I just watched this a couple weeks ago on SE DVD and wasn't really crazy about the resolution. Anyone know if it gets a remaster to BR and whether it's worth it to upgrade?

Listen, strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

[quote name='bob330i']Anyhow, I just watched this a couple weeks ago on SE DVD and wasn't really crazy about the resolution. Anyone know if it gets a remaster to BR and whether it's worth it to upgrade?[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye on blu-ray.com around the time it releases. They have detailed reviews on new release blus (video, audio, extras...).

[quote name='bob330i']Anyhow, I just watched this a couple weeks ago on SE DVD and wasn't really crazy about the resolution. Anyone know if it gets a remaster to BR and whether it's worth it to upgrade?[/QUOTE]

That's my concern too, especially given how utterly awful the Life of Brian blu-ray is. I'm definitely going to be waiting for the reviews on this one before buying it.

[quote name='arcane93']That's my concern too, especially given how utterly awful the Life of Brian blu-ray is. I'm definitely going to be waiting for the reviews on this one before buying it.[/QUOTE]Agreed. Assuming it's a new encode with cleaner video, it's a must-buy.

[quote name='seether254']to get this you must chop down the tallest tree in the forest.....With a Herring!!![/QUOTE]

"I will not"
"Oh please?"

[quote name='mig0']I missed $12.99 but will buy 2 at $13.99, hoping it will drop back to 12.99 again[/QUOTE]

I went for it at $14 but I'll keep my eye on this thread, hopefully the transfer is good.

Here are the specs for the release:

Technical Specs
BD-50 Blu-ray Disc
Ultraviolet Digital Copy
Video Resolution/Codec
1080p/AVC MPEG-4
Aspect Ratio(s)
1.66:1
Audio Formats
English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1
Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1
Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles/Captions
English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Traditional), Thai
Supplements:

Commentaries by Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones, plus general complaints and back-biting by John Cleese, Eric Idle & Michael Palin
Elephant & Castle
Run Away!
The Tale of Sir Robin
The Tale of Sir Lancelot
Three Mindless Sing-Alongs
Henry 4th
Cast directory photo gallery
Join Michael Palin and Terry Jones in their special documentary The Quest For The Holy Grail Locations
Monty Python And The Holy Grail In LEGO!
How To Use Your Coconuts (An Educational Film)
Japanese Version
BBC Film Night
Terry Gilliam introduces his lost animation reel
Terry Jones introduces the outtakes
Meanwhile, King Arthur & Sir Bedevere...

Since it hit my Gold Box today and was still at the $12.99 price before the GB discount, I tossed in a pre-order for it.

Some of the review sites are usually good about getting reviews in advance of the release date, so hopefully, we'll get someone to review it before our items ship out.

Thanks for the update/bump, one of my all time favorite movies! Can't believe I missed this thread when it was originally posted. I hope it got a remaster...

Also comes with free iPad app. Per Engadget:

"Even in 2012 there are a number of classic films that have yet to be released on Blu-ray, but we can knock one off that list March 6th when Monty Python and the Holy Grail comes home from Sony Pictures. Beyond being remastered in HD and featuring a 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack, the release will also bring exclusive Lost Animations, extended scenes and outtakes features running for over 30 minutes. iPad owners will also be able to snag a companion Second Screen app called The Holy Book of Days that includes special background content from each of the 28 days of the movie's filming. It will cost $4.99 on its own, but for a "limited time" there's a $5 rebate available for those who purchase both disc and app. The disc comes with an Ultraviolet Digital Copy and has an MSRP of $19.99, but Amazon's preorder pricing is already down to $12.99. Check out the full list of extras in details in the press release after the break, and if you're not already familiar with the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow (African or European) we've included the old DVD trailer from a few years ago as well. "

Good price, but I will wait for now. If Best Buy has it as part of the offer they sometimes do, where you get credit if you trade in the dvd version, I will buy.

Did anyone else also buy the iPad companion app? I hear all this talk about a $5 rebate for purchasing both, but can't seem to find any actual information on it.

[quote name='Azeroth2k']Did anyone else also buy the iPad companion app? I hear all this talk about a $5 rebate for purchasing both, but can't seem to find any actual information on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can't find much info on it either. I'm guessing the blu comes with the rebate card, or a link to it? Otherwise there has to be some link out there somewhere for the mail-in rebate

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah I can't find much info on it either. I'm guessing the blu comes with the rebate card, or a link to it? Otherwise there has to be some link out there somewhere for the mail-in rebate[/QUOTE]

That's what I assumed as well, but all that's in the case are inserts for the Ultraviolet copy and Sony Rewards.

I bought the app anyway, thinking that maybe the rebate info was on there, but I didn't see it anywhere. I would have bought the app anyway, but if I can get my money back, I'd be happy.

It's a mail in rebate. There's a sticker on the plastic wrapping of the Blu-Ray. On the back of the sticker it gives the instructions.

Here's a condensed version:

Send:
1. ORIGINAL receipt of the Blu-Ray which contains the store and date purchased with purchase price of Monty Python & The Holy Grail circled.
2. E-Receipt which was emailed after the purchase of the iPad app.
3. Name, complete street address (PO boxes not accepted except in ND), city, state and zip code printed on a piece of paper.

Send to:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail $5 Rebate
P.O. Box 8185, Stacy MN 55079-8185

Conditions:
-1 rebate per person, family or household address.
-Requests for refunds without all of the requirements won't be honored or returned.
-Offer good only in the 50 US states, District of Colombia & Canada.
-App must be purchased by 04/16/12.
-Rebate request must be postmarked by 04/16/12 and received by 05/16/12.
-Please allow 12 weeks for delivery of refund.
-Refund will be in US dollars.

Check status of your request at:
http://holygrail.mycheckstatus.com

I guess this wasn't all that condensed after all...

I just skimmed the instructions so be sure to double check everything on the sticker in case I missed something/got something wrong.

Bah, lame that they wouldn't just include a download code for the app. Torn on whether I want to get it or not -- I don't have an iPad right now, but will probably get one eventually. Could just buy the app in iTunes for the time being. Since it's a $5 app and a $5 rebate, that essentially makes it free... if I don't mind waiting for the check. Hrm.

Also... Damn, the app is over a gigabyte? Given the fairly limited storage capacity of an iPad, is it worth giving up that much space to it?

Thanks invictus. I hate when they give instructions (or codes) on the back of stickers on packages, they're easily missed and usually thrown out, which I guess is what they're hoping for.

Odd. The only sticker that came on my copy was about Ultraviolet.

Thanks for the info. Seems like a lot of work for $5 that I probably won't see for months. They definitely should have just included a code for it.

[quote name='dmdragon']http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-Blu-ray/23375/#Review

really good from the looks of it.[/QUOTE]

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail doesn't always look pretty, but Sony's faithful 1080p transfer is, generally, spectacular. Certainly, there are some very soft and hazy shots where detail appears low. Colors are often drab by nature. Viewers who don't like grain won't be very happy with the presentation. But for much of the time Monty Python and the Holy Grail looks amazing. Clarity is superb, generally, and combined with the natural grain structure, the transfer has every opportunity to reveal some very strong detailing. Facial intricacies, chain mail armor, clothing textures, individual grasses, stone façades, and even lumpy mud all appear nicely defined. The image enjoys a fair sense of natural depth, too. As noted, colors are rarely striking. The palette is somewhat bland by design, but green grasses, the knights' crests and coats of arms, and even the many earthen shades of mud, dirt, and stone appear natural and true. Flesh tones are accurate, and black levels fare well. Though it doesn't match for raw clarity and precision the newest releases, Sony's latest catalogue transfer is pretty spectacular and should delight fans both new to the movie and those with well-worn VHS, LaserDisc, and DVD copies of the film."

After watching it I agree with the review. Some good spots, some bad. I realize this is an older movie but I guess I expected too much. In some of the bright scenes it looked like snow running through the picture but on some other scenes it was spot on. I'm such a big fan of the boys that I don't care what the transfer looks like. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back