More Shadow of the Colossus talk

davegargamel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I've made it a goal to try to beat 25 games this year, the majority of which will be PS2 games as this system currently has the largest backlog for me. So you'll see a few of these threads commenting on games I'm currently playing/stomping.

Once again I need to slap myself for not having played this game sooner. There's something so sickeningly addictive in this game for me. Yes, at times finding the correct path to get to the next colossus can give me a headache, though it doesn't happen too often. I usually find the colossus within five minutes. The colossus battles more than make up for this minor beef though.

The camera does indeed get frustrating, but only when I'm on the horse looking for the next colossus. When it comes to fight time though I've found it really easy to manipulate. The character controls at first pissed me off, but after some time to reflect I've decided I really like them. When you're scaling a colossus it gets frustrating when your character doesn't move the way you want him to. However, this makes it a bit more "life like." I mean if I was scaling up some six-story beast with a sword in one hand trying to get to its head, would I be able to just skip along while whistling a tune until I got there? Hell no. I'd get tossed around like crazy and find it hard to get where I'm going (actually, I personally would fall and break my neck...).

Great f'n game. Blows Ico out of the water for sure in my opinion.

[quote name='davegargamel']Great f'n game. Blows Ico out of the water for sure in my opinion.[/quote]
As much as I love SotC (despite some infuriating moments), Ico is the superior game imo.

I'm really looking forward to the team's next game. It may just be the one that forces me to buy a PS3.

[quote name='Allnatural']
I'm really looking forward to the team's next game. It may just be the one that forces me to buy a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Both Ico and SotC are true gems, and by the time the next Team Ico game comes out, the PS3 will be cheap enough to afford. :D

I just bought this game off craigslist, but it won't read in my fat ps2. It takes about 3 minutes to show up in the browser with the mem cards then when I select it the screen goes dark, then back to the menu. Any ideas what could be causing this?

[quote name='Allnatural']As much as I love SotC (despite some infuriating moments), Ico is the superior game imo.[/quote]

Agreed! I think it comes down to boss battles, if you're a boss battle guy then you like SOTC, if you dont care as much about bosses and prefer a more scripted linear experience then Ico is better.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I just bought this game off craigslist, but it won't read in my fat ps2. It takes about 3 minutes to show up in the browser with the mem cards then when I select it the screen goes dark, then back to the menu. Any ideas what could be causing this?[/quote]

Sounds like your PS2 is going belly up, you could try cleaning the lens but you'll prolly end up having to get a slim if you want to play the game.

I've been thinking of getting this game for a long time. How's the replay value on it, though? Is it a game that you can come back to and play all over from time to time?

And is the game a Greatest Hits now? I don't know why but the red label kind of bothers me.

You can go back and replay in time trial mode, but I really didn't like the controls. The game is a must-play though, at least one time through.

[quote name='McBain']I've been thinking of getting this game for a long time. How's the replay value on it, though? Is it a game that you can come back to and play all over from time to time?
[/quote]
I haven't felt inclined to replay it personally, but I know of at least one reviewer (at Eurogamer, as I recall) that feels the game is much better the second time around. There are some frustrating moments as you try to suss out the solution to some of the enemies (the camera and controls certainly don't help), and a long fall after a lengthy climb is especially annoying. In subsequent playthroughs you can appreciate the spectacle without the "wtf?!" moments. YMMV of course...

[quote name='McBain']I've been thinking of getting this game for a long time. How's the replay value on it, though? Is it a game that you can come back to and play all over from time to time?[/quote]

Depends on who you are. I' beat it a long time ago, but I went back and did a lot of the battles multiple times. I'm currently playing through it again in full for a second time.

So what's the average time for one playthrough? 6-8 hours I assume? Seems really linear because you only need to fight the bosses with nothing else in between.

game takes between 6-10 hrs kind of like ICO. As stated by everyone if you haven't played this def try to pick it up especially with the coupon this week it should be like 12 bucks or so used. I still feel Ico is probably top 3 games ever made so if you see that one complete def pick it up. Here is to hoping "The Queen" will be just as fun as these 2 games.

Haha! speaking of SOTC I just beat it tonight. Superiorly fucking awesome game! $14.99 at Best Buy wasn't bad for being in the bargain bin. Sly Cooper 3 being $9.99 also ;)

The game took me about 10 hrs the first run through.

bread's done
Back