More studios commit to UMD (Fox, Universal, Paramount)

modium

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Source: http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139978

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment are the latest movie studios preparing to jump into UMD, reports Video Business Online. "I think by the end of the year most, if not all, of the studios will be releasing movies on PSP," Sony president Ben Feingold said to the publication "For a format to be successful, it's important to have a broad product offering."

Dodgeball, Napoleon Dynamite, I, Robot, Super Troopers and Predator are believed to be in the first round of releases from Fox, while expected output from the other studios is less clear.
I'm wondering if Fox will be cooking up some of their TV shows on UMD, even if it's only a best-of or something. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Also, I'd eat my shoe if Sky Captain isn't among Paramount's first UMD offerings.

Napoleon Dynamite would be cool. Still only own Resident Evil, and ONLY because I got it for $13. Still can't see these things succeeding if they have huge pricetags (Kill Bill and Pirates)

[quote name='tenzor']I want to see the Star Wars Trilogy and Prequels on UMD.[/QUOTE]

i second that. i would love to watch star wars anywhere i please.

I saw some movies when I was at TRU to buy Lumines. 14.99 for a lot of the movies. Might have gotten Hellboy if I stood there looking at them long enough. Needless to say, some people came in to look at the PSP and blocked my view, and I just bought Lumines.

exactly how can a full sized dvd be 19.99 and a umd be the same...dumbasses...they need a better pricing structure on there games and moviesat least 5-10 less than now...the only thing selling this stuff now is the WOW factor...besides that almost every game (desent ones) are ports of PS2 games...this product was rushed they should have focused on PS3 or the PSP not both

me thinks Sky Captain was not so good... anyway, I'll never buy a UMD movie - it doesn't make any sense to. I'd be much better served buying a giant memory stick and transfering DVDs...

[quote name='Daddy']exactly how can a full sized dvd be 19.99 and a umd be the same...dumbasses...they need a better pricing structure on there games and moviesat least 5-10 less than now...the only thing selling this stuff now is the WOW factor...besides that almost every game (desent ones) are ports of PS2 games...this product was rushed they should have focused on PS3 or the PSP not both[/QUOTE]

I can't understand that either. Sony has to have other plans for UMDs besides just the PSP for other companies to be jumping on board. I would say that the PSP userbase is going to be a few million after a year or so. It would seem to me that it wouldn't be worth it for these studios to go through the process of porting their movies to UMD unless:

a) it is a very inexpensive process
b) Sony is looking to incorporate UMD into more devices (PS3?) in the future, ensuring a larger userbase

[quote name='Scorch'] 24 UMD
drool.gif

//Currently watching season 2 for the second time
[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious? How many UMDs would they need for a show with 24, 1 hour episodes?

That being said, season 2 is probably my favorite.

There's no way in hell I'd buy a UMD movie for $20 bones, when I can get the same movie plus speical features on DVD for $17.99

$10 dollars to me is the magic price point. I wouldn't pay a penny more than that, and if they can't turn a decent profit selling them for that, or less, I predict the concept of UMD movies will go the way of the dodo.

bread's done
Back