Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition $119.99 @ Game Stop B&M PS3 / 360

And so it begins....here's to hoping this thing sits in the backroom of whichever GS store has it in stock till it's $29.99. It shouldn't take too long, since the Fallout New Vegas CE's were $30 within 6 months of release.;)

A handful of 360 versions in a 20 mile radius. And less than 1 PS3 version in a 100 mile radius.

Im damn glad i got the PS3 version at launch ^_^ (And for only 129.99). Either way, i might consider getting a 360 version.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Oh lord. Why? Why must I have this, even at this great price? Must resist!![/QUOTE]

Haha I'm a fan of mk, and I bought the te just for keeps. Haven't even opened it yet.

It would be fun to have a thread contest to see who can wait the longest and get it at the lowest natural price. I'm hoping to find this at 75 or lower. I wonder what the drop will be considering that the per store stock has got be really low.

Thank you for the heads up, Turns out a gamestop I never have visited 10 miles form my house had one in stock. Traded in my copy of MK and picked up the tournament edition, Ive wanted that stick since I saw it but price was too high. Now I do have it and the bookends from the Kollectors edition :applause:

I seriously doubt this would even survive the drop that low. Its not like its a crappy stick like in the Tekken bundle, this is a pretty amazing stick. (And it looks awesome)

[quote name='dgwillia006']I seriously doubt this would even survive the drop that low. Its not like its a crappy stick like in the Tekken bundle, this is a pretty amazing stick. (And it looks awesome)[/QUOTE]

I really like the "bat" style sticks vs. the "ball"

I really wish they made one for capcom games like that.

When I got my tekken bundle ($30) I was so excited, now it just collects dust b/c it's easier w/ a regular remote to perform combos.

When this T.E. drops to $60-80, I'll jump on it right away. I honestly believe there was a lot more of these produced than was let on. Hell, with the success of the MK9, I wouldn't doubt them reproducing more after launch date sell outs.

[quote name='aznhero913']I really like the "bat" style sticks vs. the "ball"

I really wish they made one for capcom games like that.

When I got my tekken bundle ($30) I was so excited, now it just collects dust b/c it's easier w/ a regular remote to perform combos.

When this T.E. drops to $60-80, I'll jump on it right away. I honestly believe there was a lot more of these produced than was let on. Hell, with the success of the MK9, I wouldn't doubt them reproducing more after launch date sell outs.[/QUOTE]

Dont they already sell a stand alone stick?

Any stick users here? What is the build quality and parts like for this one? AFAIK us arcade parts haven't been of high quality in years. Did that change with this one?

[quote name='confoosious']standalone xbox stick is $139.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have been more precise w/ my request.
I wish they made one for capcom as cheap as the one tekken stick I bought a few months ago.
;)

[quote name='aznhero913']I guess I should have been more precise w/ my request.
I wish they made one for capcom as cheap as the one tekken stick I bought a few months ago.
;)[/QUOTE]

The major cost of the joystick is the actual components. When I modded my MadCatz SE stick, replacing all of the buttons and the stick costed like $50-60. So a good stick will cost at least that, also not taking into affect the joystick board and housing unit.

Even the MadCatz SE stick is a good base to use however the cost of modding it, you can find a MadCatz TE stick for around the same prices. It's a better cabinet and it already has the arcade parts. I modded my SE stick back when they first came out, so the TE's were like $200.

You'll find joysticks for less than that but they're all made of poor quality parts that won't last nor are they easy to replace components.

[quote name='Japakneez']Any stick users here? What is the build quality and parts like for this one? AFAIK us arcade parts haven't been of high quality in years. Did that change with this one?[/QUOTE]

The joystick is pretty legit, the cabinet is wood and it's heavy. Also has felt on the button if you want to place on your lap. It's a HAPP stick it is shaped like a bat also a little stiffer than the Sanwa stick found in the MadCatz TE joystick. Joystick movement is quieter than the Sanwa. Over all pretty good unit. I just wish it had a more standardized layout for playing other games.

Just picked mine up today after trading in 4 games for $86+ credit. I only ended up paying $35 something for it after the trade ins. If they tell you it's 149.99, tell them their weekly deals ad lists it at 119.99 (it's in fine print under the MK regular editions in the price drop section). They told me at first it was $149.99 until I pointed the ad out and they then confirmed it was $119.99.

I'm very happy with the quality of it so far. The build of the top panel is very high quality and reminds me of the old MK arcade cabinets I played back in the 90's.

[quote name='BannedEpisode']Closest one is 20 miles away. Thats quite a trip.[/QUOTE]
Twenty miles away one way is quite a trip for you? Seriously? I've gone TWICE that distance in one direction to get a deal before. Mind ya, if it's on local roads with lotsa stop n go traffic and you're driving a Hummer I can see being leery of making the trek, but twenty miles is really nothing if it's a deal you truly want.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Twenty miles away one way is quite a trip for you? Seriously? I've gone TWICE that distance in one direction to get a deal before. Mind ya, if it's on local roads with lotsa stop n go traffic and you're driving a Hummer I can see being leery of making the trek, but twenty miles is really nothing if it's a deal you truly want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Gas is expensive bud. Especially when you drive a hand me down pickup truck.

Doesnt matter though. I'm waiting for a new TE Madcatz stick to drop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Twenty miles away one way is quite a trip for you? Seriously? I've gone TWICE that distance in one direction to get a deal before. Mind ya, if it's on local roads with lotsa stop n go traffic and you're driving a Hummer I can see being leery of making the trek, but twenty miles is really nothing if it's a deal you truly want.[/QUOTE]

This is something of a CAG paradox to me.... folks here are always fussing about how they need the best deal but will bounce around to multiple stores to find it or drive 20+ miles to get it.

Back OT: my local GS had one in stock today when I went in to take advantage of the current trade promo, rang up for $120 for me. I'm not much of an arcade stick guy so I can probably just sell the stick to cover almost the entire cost.

[quote name='BannedEpisode']Yeah. Gas is expensive bud. Especially when you drive a hand me down pickup truck.

Doesnt matter though. I'm waiting for a new TE Madcatz stick to drop.[/QUOTE]
That explains it then. I know I see a TON of people remark about how a 10 mile drive to a store with something listed as in stock is such a hassle for them, yet I always think that if it's something you want you'll use that extra half gallon of gas to get there.

Then again, maybe I have become spoiled, since my last 2-3 cars seemed to run on a tank of gas forever. I used to go from here(PA) up into NY state and back and still have plenty left over and that was with a ton of side trips even.
[quote name='iamsmart']This is something of a CAG paradox to me.... folks here are always fussing about how they need the best deal but will bounce around to multiple stores to find it or drive 20+ miles to get it.[/QUOTE]
It helps that there are at least 2-3 major highways in my area(I-84, I-81, PA Turnpike) and many of the major shopping centers are conveniently located a mile or less off of each of these highways. Albeit the turnpike would cost me the added expense of tolls, but that's why it's not that much of a hassle for me to hit multiple stores.

Plus it helps to know the areas you're traveling to well so you know shortcuts and side roads to hit, so you avoid a lot of the stop n go traffic that eats gas like crazy.;)

Well, I had to make the epic trip of 30 miles to find the nearest PS3 copy today! Get to the store, and find that my most-hated GS manager ever has been moved to this store; I thought I was safe from him (I frequent all of the GS' in this town, so I just usually avoided the store he was at), but not today. If it was anything else otherwise obtainable within another 30 miles, I would have just left the store, but the PS3 TE is fairly hard to come by.

Anyway, this guy is the type of d-bag who will issue 'refurb' fees for games not having cover art, manuals, etc..., tries to get you to renew your PUR card when you have months remaining (tried it on me today, and mine expires in October, LoL), uses the BS circular logic/lying to tell you how you would basically get the card for free if you renew today (yeah, because I just traded a bunch of games in, which you would then subtract $15 from my total to give me my 'free' renewal, right, asshole?) and harasses you more insistently for pre-orders more than any other GS clear i've EVER seen (and that's saying a lot)...Yeah, I'm sure it's gonna be super-hard to track down a vanilla copy of Modern Warfare 3 come the holidays if I don't preorder 5 months in advance!

I had a pretty big stack of my more valuable games from the recent BBV sale to trade in to get the TE, though, so I had to trade in there. Somehow I conned my wife and son on taking me on this little joy ride out of town, so my time was VERY limited, though, otherwise I definitely would have just done the trade-in at another store. I went so far as to get out of line a couple of times when I was not gonna get the other clerk's register, but that wore thin with my wife after awhile.

Anyway, I decide to just accept my fate, and let the d-bag process my trade-ins. What do you know, 5 games out of about 10 got hit with refurb fees (totaling $10.75), and to rub a final bit of salt into the wound, fucktard entered my copy of Bully: Scholarship Ed. Wii in as Ant Bully (that one has a nice $2 base TIV, if you were curious), another net loss of probably $7-9 with the current promo. Of course I checked the receipt for the refurb fees in the parking lot, but didn't scrutinize it closely enough until I got home to see that he had actually put in the wrong game; Of course, I got refurbed on 'Ant Bully' for $0.75 since it didn't have a manual or cover art; how ironic that because it didn't have that stuff, asshat couldn't even read the disc properly to type in the right game, so I basically got double-penalized by him on that one. That is my fault for trusting a slimy weasel like this MF to do anything properly, though: c'est la vie.

Oh yeah, well back to the topic, I did manage to get my semi-rare PS3 TE today for $119, so I'm still pretty happy. Again, the asshole manager had no idea it was on sale, then started to pretend I got some kind of bonus deal once he finalized the transaction and saw it was down to $119 from $149.
Lessons:
-Never take your (unwilling) family members on a game flipping/buying trip. This is my own cardinal rule, so I was asking for it today, I know, but our current vehicle situation dictated that my only way of getting my hands on this TE this weekend would be under my wife's rules (using her car)...can't argue with that.

-If time permits, try to always to your trading at a 'friendly' store that you may have noticed in the past is less likely to give you bogus refurb fees, etc...Also, make sure to take care of those good CS', by getting pre-orders from them, etc...If you run into an employee that is rude/out of line/rubs you the wrong way, the last thing you ever want to do is give them the satisfaction of a card renewal, warranty, or a pre-order from them. There are simply too many other GS' around to have to deal with these idiots.

-Always check your receipt CLOSELY, and any games you might get to make sure the discs are included, etc...BEFORE YOU LEAVE (I'm not even going to go on a long rave about the other discovery I made today: Tatsunouko vs. Capcom Wii I got from BBV last week, had no disc in it when I checked today, again store is 30-40 miles or so away.)

Admittedly, I've been doing a lot of flipping and travelling lately, and not much sleeping, so I've made some pretty noob-ish mistakes, but DAMN dealing with that manager really chaps my hide. Losing out on $20 or so in credit, and one game out of 30-40 from the BBV sale is not the end of the world for me normally, but having to transact with that guy just really threw things over the top and ruined my day. I'm going to go out of my way to give them a bad review on their survey, and cancel a pre-order there next time I'm in town.

[quote name='sgaldis']Well, I had to make the epic trip of 30 miles to find the nearest PS3 copy today! Get to the store, and find that my most-hated GS manager ever has been moved to this store; I thought I was safe from him (I frequent all of the GS' in this town, so I just usually avoided the store he was at), but not today. If it was anything else otherwise obtainable within another 30 miles, I would have just left the store, but the PS3 TE is fairly hard to come by.

Anyway, this guy is the type of d-bag who will issue 'refurb' fees for games not having cover art, manuals, etc..., tries to get you to renew your PUR card when you have months remaining (tried it on me today, and mine expires in October, LoL), uses the BS circular logic/lying to tell you how you would basically get the card for free if you renew today (yeah, because I just traded a bunch of games in, which you would then subtract $15 from my total to give me my 'free' renewal, right, asshole?) and harasses you more insistently for pre-orders more than any other GS clear i've EVER seen (and that's saying a lot)...Yeah, I'm sure it's gonna be super-hard to track down a vanilla copy of Modern Warfare 3 come the holidays if I don't preorder 5 months in advance!

I had a pretty big stack of my more valuable games from the recent BBV sale to trade in to get the TE, though, so I had to trade in there. Somehow I conned my wife and son on taking me on this little joy ride out of town, so my time was VERY limited, though, otherwise I definitely would have just done the trade-in at another store. I went so far as to get out of line a couple of times when I was not gonna get the other clerk's register, but that wore thin with my wife after awhile.

Anyway, I decide to just accept my fate, and let the d-bag process my trade-ins. What do you know, 5 games out of about 10 got hit with refurb fees (totaling $10.75), and to rub a final bit of salt into the wound, fucktard entered my copy of Bully: Scholarship Ed. Wii in as Ant Bully (that one has a nice $2 base TIV, if you were curious), another net loss of probably $7-9 with the current promo. Of course I checked the receipt for the refurb fees in the parking lot, but didn't scrutinize it closely enough until I got home to see that he had actually put in the wrong game; Of course, I got refurbed on 'Ant Bully' for $0.75 since it didn't have a manual or cover art; how ironic that because it didn't have that stuff, asshat couldn't even read the disc properly to type in the right game, so I basically got double-penalized by him on that one. That is my fault for trusting a slimy weasel like this MF to do anything properly, though: c'est la vie.

Oh yeah, well back to the topic, I did manage to get my semi-rare PS3 TE today for $119, so I'm still pretty happy. Again, the asshole manager had no idea it was on sale, then started to pretend I got some kind of bonus deal once he finalized the transaction and saw it was down to $119 from $149.
Lessons:
-Never take your (unwilling) family members on a game flipping/buying trip. This is my own cardinal rule, so I was asking for it today, I know, but our current vehicle situation dictated that my only way of getting my hands on this TE this weekend would be under my wife's rules (using her car)...can't argue with that.

-If time permits, try to always to your trading at a 'friendly' store that you may have noticed in the past is less likely to give you bogus refurb fees, etc...Also, make sure to take care of those good CS', by getting pre-orders from them, etc...If you run into an employee that is rude/out of line/rubs you the wrong way, the last thing you ever want to do is give them the satisfaction of a card renewal, warranty, or a pre-order from them. There are simply too many other GS' around to have to deal with these idiots.

-Always check your receipt CLOSELY, and any games you might get to make sure the discs are included, etc...BEFORE YOU LEAVE (I'm not even going to go on a long rave about the other discovery I made today: Tatsunouko vs. Capcom Wii I got from BBV last week, had no disc in it when I checked today, again store is 30-40 miles or so away.)

Admittedly, I've been doing a lot of flipping and travelling lately, and not much sleeping, so I've made some pretty noob-ish mistakes, but DAMN dealing with that manager really chaps my hide. Losing out on $20 or so in credit, and one game out of 30-40 from the BBV sale is not the end of the world for me normally, but having to transact with that guy just really threw things over the top and ruined my day. I'm going to go out of my way to give them a bad review on their survey, and cancel a pre-order there next time I'm in town.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there had to bea another gs within the area. You should've traded in the games at another location then buy the TE where they had it.

[quote name='sgaldis']Well, I had to make the epic trip of 30 miles to find the nearest PS3 copy today! Get to the store, and find that my most-hated GS manager ever has been moved to this store; I thought I was safe from him (I frequent all of the GS' in this town, so I just usually avoided the store he was at), but not today. If it was anything else otherwise obtainable within another 30 miles, I would have just left the store, but the PS3 TE is fairly hard to come by.

Lessons:

Admittedly, I've been doing a lot of flipping and travelling lately, and not much sleeping, so I've made some pretty noob-ish mistakes, but DAMN dealing with that manager really chaps my hide. Losing out on $20 or so in credit, and one game out of 30-40 from the BBV sale is not the end of the world for me normally, but having to transact with that guy just really threw things over the top and ruined my day. I'm going to go out of my way to give them a bad review on their survey, and cancel a pre-order there next time I'm in town.[/QUOTE]
Wow. You really took it without lube, huh? I woulda cancelled the transaction right then and there after finding out I was refurbed(I ask BEFORE the transaction is complete) and went to the next closest GS to do the trades.

Of course, this is when I'm glad to gloat that I'm single and could actually do that pretty much without alot of hassle....if I weren't banned from GS that is.:razz:

Speaking of checking discs and what not, I suppose I'd better double check those movies I bought from BBV late last week to make sure I have discs in the cases AND they're not in truly deplorable shape. So thanks for the reminder...:razz:

I bought the te when it was first released for the ps3. The stick is very well made and it looks amazing. It's worth full price without a doubt. Good luck to everyone trying to snag one its well worth it.

I just traded in a few games at Game Stop for more than they're worth and got the :ps3: Tournament Edition for $6 cash. Weird thing was, at first the only store near me that had the PS3 version was like 60 miles away when the sale first started. Then, yesterday one randomly showed up 10 miles from me. Went to check it out today and it seemed okay from looking at it. It was taped up like it was still factory sealed. When I got home, I found out it had been opened before but the only evidence was the stick had a few fingerprint smudges on it. A quick cleaning with alcohol took that right off. Everything else seemed to not be touched, my main concern was the DLC being used but none of the codes were torn off. However, there was no Scorpion code :(

Guess someone returned it, but the stick works great.. so their loss is my gain.. and a gain for only $6!

My only complaint is that it is not wireless, but the cable is plenty long.

For an American-style setup (bat-top vs Japanese ball-top), this a very good joystick. If you're a lap (versus a table top) player, you'll appreciate the velvet lined memory foam bottom in addition to having an interior storage compartment for a few game cases & the detachable USB cable. I'm a joystick collector & very picky about quality control. This joystick case far exceeded my expectations for quality control & is made (out of all companies) by PDP formerly Pelican Accessories. It's back up to $150 again. Even at full retail MSRP of $150, this is a good deal considering a quality joystick (w/the same Happ components) from a reputable custom arcade builder (Arcade-In-A-Box, etc.) cost $150 by itself. IMO, Japanese components (Sanwa & Seimitsu) are superior due to their buttons being more responsive & the ball-top's are more accurate (kinda steep learning curve for many) but to each their own. BTW, for those of you that bought a Japanese-style joystick (Mad Catz SE/TE, Hori Real Arcade Pro-series, etc.), you can buy a plastic (same material as Happ) bat-top & adapter for $5 or buy the bad a$$ billet aluminum version for $15 to retrofit from Lizard Lick, Focus Attack, etc.

I highly recommend switching out the components to an iL Euro joystick lever & buttons. FWIW, iL (in Europe) was the original manufacturer to Happ back in the day until they switched to another manufacturer in China which caused them to have quality control issues at 1st but supposedly has been resolved by now. You'll immediately feel & notice a difference right away with iL components compared to the newer Happ components (like in this PDP stick).

BTW, Gamestop will initially have an exclusive on the newer version of this stick for $130. I can't confirm if other retailers will eventually sell it or not yet. Main differences are:

- Different artwork & red T-molding on the bottom
- Multi-colored buttons & red joystick lever just like in the original MK arcade machines back in the day
- No interior storage, multi-piece hinges, locking mechanism & clear Lexan
- Stand-alone product BUT comes w/a DLC voucher code for the new MK Kompilation (MK 1, 2 & Ultimate MK3) coming out in a few months

http://www.pdp.com/c-27-mortal-kombat.aspx

Also, this stick works great with Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe which can be picked up for $20 (or less). While not as good as MK9, it's still fun & based off the same game engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back