Most Anticipated Non-Release You've Had...

WinnieThePujols

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What I mean by this is: what game that was in production/expected to be released that never panned out were you most frustrated with?

Sometime (circa 1997) I was looking through a Nintendo Power magazine. They were previewing a new game called "Earthbound 64." My jaw dropped. About a year earlier I had fell in love with the SNES counterpart, Earthbound.

I had played Ocarina of Time sometime earlier and I was in shock. It was so incredibly playing the signature series Zelda in 3D. Ditto for Mario 64. I was so jacked to try it out an Earthbound in 3D.

And we all know what happen. Production got too hard, too expensive and it was canned. I believe the GBA game that was released in Japan is a port of the 64 version (although they claim it isn't, I thought), but still... another Mother game is great, don't get me wrong... but in 3D... it woulda been a whole new experience.

[quote name='Genocidal']And here I am, stumbling into this thread thinking it was something sexual.

YOU KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.[/quote]

You aren't.

[quote name='Genocidal']And here I am, stumbling into this thread thinking it was something sexual.

YOU KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. fuck your mom.

That bitch.

:)

Warcraft Adventures
Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels
Sam & Max: Freelance Police
Space Quest VII

There are far too many cancelled adventure games.

[quote name='Chacrana']Let's get the obvious answer out of the way: Shenmue III. No reasons required.[/QUOTE]
Shenmue III? Hell, I was amped up for Shenmue II for the Dreamcast, but Sega decided to (stupidly) cancel it in the US and then release it on the XBox, where it would look inferior to Halo and the rest of the launch line-up, and end up selling possibly even worse than it would have on the DC.

Speaking of the DC's (rather pathetic, cancellation-laden) end-days, another game I was looking forward to was Propeller Arena, but 9/11 gave Sega the excuse to cancel it.

[quote name='evilmax17']Sam & Max[/QUOTE]
Indeed. As Kotaku pointed out recently, the video for the new episodic Sam and Max lacked the "wow" factor of the trailer for Sam and Max: Freelance Police.

Propeller Arena is... available... if you know where to look on the net. You'll probably find it as Propeller Arena Gold (as in, final version ready to be mass produced). It's sort of fun, but got repetitive, but of course I only played the single player mode. I'd imagine multiplayer would be pretty good.

Daredevil could have been good, and I was interested in playing Vectorman on PS2, but I'm not sure how that would have turned out. I know I'm forgeting something, but I'll remember it later.

[quote name='Genocidal']Propeller Arena is... available... if you know where to look on the net. You'll probably find it as Propeller Arena Gold (as in, final version ready to be mass produced). It's sort of fun, but got repetitive, but of course I only played the single player mode. I'd imagine multiplayer would be pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Well, it was designed primarily to be an online game, with voice chat. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer was good.

On a related note, it is quite sad that the games that would have made up the triumphant final days of the DC are now only available as downloads. Instead of going out with a bang, the DC went out with a crackle in the US. Japan still gets games for it, and Europe finished off the DC with games like Shenmue II, Headhunter, and Rez.

The US port of Dragon Quest IV for the PSX. I read the only reason it was cancelled was the team that had originally programed it was on sabbatical, so the game couldn't effectively be localized.

[quote name='Davos']The US port of Dragon Quest IV for the PSX. I read the only reason it was cancelled was the team that had originally programed it was on sabbatical, so the game couldn't effectively be localized.[/QUOTE]

I used to have the Japanese version of that. Trust me, you weren't missing anything.

True Fantasy Live Online for the XBox...

mainly i just wanted to play an mmorpg on my xbox, and communicate solely through speech instead of typing. I don't know, it seemed like it had some real potential, and I would have to at least liked to see how well it would have fared.

These threads seem to pop up every so often and they always have a different title. At any rate, my vote has to go to Psi-Ops 2. Why does the first one have to end on such a huge cliffhanger?!?!

Dungeon Keeper 3.

RIP Bullfrog - Mollyneux is proof positive that in this case, the whole really was more than the sum of its parts. :whistle2:(

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Policenauts in the US, that and US ports of Snatcher for PSX and Saturn[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Shenmue 2's US DC release.
Dave Mirra 3, which changed into the horrific BMX XXX.
Freedom Fighters 2, probably won't happen anytime soon if it ever does.
At this point in time, Kirby for the GC could join the list.

KOF 94: Rebout (xbox) I can always play this on MAME so it's not that big of a deal but I was following the xbox release and they kept pushing back the release date by 2 weeks every time I looked, until finally one day it was cancelled.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Policenauts in the US, that and US ports od Snatcher for PSX and Saturn[/quote]

Those (glad I have Snatcher for Sega CD), Earthbound 64, Shenmue 3, Sam and Max (the new one), Full Throttle 2

[quote name='Scorch']Those (glad I have Snatcher for Sega CD), Earthbound 64, Shenmue 3, Sam and Max (the new one), Full Throttle 2[/QUOTE]

Well you just posted my list. I was gonna come in here and say Full Throttle 2.

Shenmue can piss off though. What a terribly disappointing game. (PLEASE LET'S NOT ARGUE ABOUT THIS, PEOPLE.)

Do you remember that day? The day the snow turned to rain. Talk about boring. I think I might just go get a forklift license if Shenmue 3 came out. I did like the toys in the bubble gum machine.

I agree with Captain about the Castlevania on DC. I just tell myself it was going to be like the ones on the N64.

I was pretty bummed about the Advent Trilogy being canned. At least I assume it is.

I don't know if I have a definitive answer, but I was REALLY pissed about a lot of the Dreamcast cancellations that showed up near the announcement that production was being stopped. Half-Life, Propeller Arena (although 9/11 also had something to do with that), Shenmue II, and others.

It wouldn't have been as bad if Sega hadn't pledged that moving from software to hardware "wouldn't effect it" for current Dreamcast owners, as Sega would strongly support the Dreamcast for the rest of the year. We all know THAT was bullshit.

Oh, and the person that made that promise? Peter Moore. fucking prick.

bread's done
Back