Most cheapass system of this gen

KillingMachine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was wondering what the general opinion of the CAG forums is on which system has been the most cheappass friendly for them overall. Including system price, accessories and average game cost, what do you guys think you've been able to get the best deals for overall?

Ps2. It had the biggest library, so many titles were overlooked, thus making them cheap. Also, most 1st party games later in the cycle were only $39.99 out of the gate.

Gamecube is the cheapest system, especially used. It's easy to find one for $50. There's plenty of good games used under $10 and the new greatest hits titles like Mario Sunshine are only $20 and are mostly good games.

I want to say PS2 but off the top of my head I'm saying Gamecube. Used system price of $59.99 at EB, all the freakin bundles, Metroid Prime $5 used, RE4 $10 at TRU, damn.

Has to be PS2. Xbox has the built in HDD which saves you ~$25 on a memcard (or even more if you need more than one memcard) which is a definite plus, but the PS2 having more games and therefore more cheap games gives it the edge. There aren't many quality cheap games for the Xbox that can't also be found for cheap on the PS2.

Gamecube is cheaper at start up and there have been some very nice bundles. But it's just seemed like good deals on games are a lot fewer and farther between than deals for the Xbox and PS2.

PS2. Hopefully PS3 will be the same.

Gamecube can be cheap sometimes but their first party titles never drop in price!!!

I think all of them can be cheap if you are patient like a true cheapass is. Other than Nintendo first-party games and a few exceptions like GTA & cult RPGs, you could/can get virtually any game this generation for $20 or less within a year. GameCube certainly wins with the cheapest system/best bundle (Cube+MP7+extra controller...+ Pikmin 2 + another extra controller @TRU!) though.

Gamecube, it IMO has the best lineup of games at the $20 range. 80 hour games like Tales of Symphonia, and other great games like smash bros, pikmin, Super mario sunshine etc. Now the console is $99, controllers are $20 memory cards a $20-30. The 1019 will last you forever. I have had a 1019 card for a year and with 40 GC games its only 25% full.

Yes their is the problem of a lot of the 1st party staying at $50 bucks for a long time. but hey thats what renting is for. :D

gamecube... 100 - 15 circuitcity coupon for $86 i get a new system mario party 7 and an extra controller for less than 120 i get a complete package. Xbox will be 220 for the same. also gamecube gots A+ titles with resident evil for 15 and sonics and marios spyro. Rpgs with paper mario and final fantasy.. overall gamecbue is cheaper to get started..

i would have to go on most i used

Ps2
gamecube
GBA/DS
Dreamcast
Xbox

now for cheap ass games

Ps2
Dreamcast
Gameboy/DS
Xbox
Gamecube

i havent found much i wanted cheap on gamecube

Dreamcast rocked when Best buy cleared out their stock that summer for 98 cent games

Xbox is still this gamer's choice for the most cheapass console.

I didn't have to buy 5 $25-30 memory cards for the Xbox. First party stuff like Blinx 2, Outrun 2, Forza, Conker, KUF and the like dropped within 90 days of initial release. Anything multi-platform dropped the same time the PS2 did.

I can't really endorse the Cube being cheapest. What's the point of having really cheap games for it if they're multi-platform or you wouldn't buy them anyways?

The PS2 stuff I'm most likely to buy at this point is Atlus, NIS and SquareEnix. There's nothing cheap about buying RPG's.

Well my XBOX game library has been my fastest-growing game library ever. That may just be a matter of perspective though, since XBOX is the first system I've bought since becoming a CAG. So once I got the box, I was on top of a ton of cheapass deals right out the gate. I think the xbox might have the most impressive sub-$20 library of any system.

I did go on a cheap shopping spree when I bought the Dreamcast in late 2002, but I feel like there was a relatively small window of time in which the clearanced DC games were really easy to come by. Now many of prices have shot up, or the games are just a lot harder to find. So I'd put XBOX over the DC because a lot of the cheap XBOX games are still easy to find. And due to the limited backward compatibility of the 360, the cheap xbox games will probably linger on store shelves for a while.

GameCube just has less of everything and is generally harder to shop for, so for me it's not the most cheapass system. Plus like others have said you've got all the pricey first-party titles.

And logically speaking there is probably MORE cheap stuff on PS2, but for a multiplatform user it's hard to go wrong with XBOX.

If you consider Dreamcast to be part of this generation, then I have to vote DC. Once they pulled the plug on DC, you could find cheap games everywhere as stores rushed to free up shelf space for the other systems. I bought lots of games for around $5 each. Runner-up is probably either PS2 or Xbox because they have so many more cheap games than GC. I've only gotten a few games at $9.99 or less for GC but I have gotten tons for PS2 and Xbox between EB markdowns, Circuit City's famous sale and TRU clearances.

ps2, people saying cube are pointing out cheap titles that are from 5 years ago. new games for cube rarely drops, while ps2 games usually drops within 6 month.

PS2, the games usually drop fastest for the PS2 because there is so much competition. The initial bundle may not be as cheap, but the sheer amount of cheap games definitely make it the cheapest system. It seems that most multiplatform games drop fastest on the PS2, and stores generally keep them around longer for low prices because they have the chance of selling more games even at really cheap prices.

Cube titles often get pretty hard to find and difficult to find cheap, examples PoP Sands of Time, BG&E, Goblin Commander. But you can't beat the cube bundles stores have been selling. Right now the cube is definitely the best deal out of the gate.

Note, this doesn't have anything to do with which system has better cheap games, just which system is cheaper overall. I enjoy my cube more, but the PS2 is the cheaper overall system.

PS2 by far in terms of deal.

Someone else mentoined that PS2 memory cards cost too much... The 40-gig harddrive that came with FFXI should solve all that... I picked that thing up in a hurry once I learned at CAG that CC had it for $37.

At a lack of owning PS2, I say XBox, but they're really interchangable. Both systems have third party games that sunk, and lately there have been some ridiculous sales on first party games too (GT4, Blinx 2). Let me put it this way: I decided that I wanted an XBox for Christmas in 2004, and in a month and a half, built a library of at least 15 games, never paying more than 15 dollars for a game. This included Halo 2 (EB trade-in), JSRF, Panzer Dragoon, the 2k series, among others. I built a backlog to the point that I forced myself to buy only if the game was $10 or less, and the TRU sale brought Pirates, Fatal Frame II, POP:WW, and a few PS2 games for when I eventually get it. The past month has been deadly for me.

Easily PS2.

Just to show comparison :
EB has ____ ____ games (new & used) for under $10.

338 PS2
196 XBOX
55 GC

As far as quality IMO:
EB has ____ ____ great games (new & used) for under $10.

30 PS2
24 XBOX
5 GC (3 of which are more expensive versions of PS2 or XBOX games)

Xbox

1. More functionality plus better graphics and an HDD (no pressing need for a memory card) for the same price as a PS2, and for $50 more than a GCN.

2. First party and third party games tend to drop very quickly (Far Cry: Instincts went to $30 (at most places very frequently) shortly after release while Killzone went to $20 around 9-10 months after its release). Xbox has fast price drops, PS2 has average price drops, GCN has very slow price drops.

3. Hit games tend to have lower used prices (Super Smash Bros. Melee still $25 used, Halo around $12-14.xx used, Forza around $20 used, GT4 around $30).

4. Xbox live. Comes to around $4 bucks per month for a year subscription (cheapest). Adds tons of replay value, and offers downloadable content. Xbox Live is far superior to PS2 online.

bread's done
Back