Most Disappointing game you thought would be incredibly fun?

For me, there can only be

g0989651jjc.jpg

For more recent stuff, probably Mario Sunshine and Phantom Hourglass.

the Bouncer (it sucked.)

I saw it at Blockbuster

such crap. why square why.

(edited to put into haiku form.)

Why? Because Square likes to occasionally try and see if they can break out of their RPG shell. Aside from Einhänder though, all we have is evidence that more often than not they're quite incompetent when outside of the narrow confines of JRPGs.#-oI like that they try though.

[quote name='DM7000']Can't believe anyones hasnt said this yet...

HALO 3

Yup, I hated it. I played the crap out of Halo 2, but after Halo 3 came out i just never got into it....I just disliked how it played...[/QUOTE]

THIS

Common people most disapointed game for me was:

Brute Force

Jesus was that bad. I had such high hopes since it was Bungie but wow. It was awful

Also, DMC4 was awful

Maybe it was because you played as a whinny brat but I went in thinking Ninja Gaiden, but got this crap

[quote name='joshnorm']Common people most disapointed game for me was:

Brute Force

Jesus was that bad. I had such high hopes since it was Bungie but wow. It was awful.[/quote]

Digital Anvil made Brute Force, not Bungie. Maybe you're thinking of Oni?

11_8.JPG

Man, I was so looking forward to this game back in the day... but it sucked so bad. My friend and I tried playing it for a couple of hours hoping that it would redeem itself in some way. It just made us sadder.

[quote name='looploop']Why? Because Square likes to occasionally try and see if they can break out of their RPG shell. Aside from Einhänder though, all we have is evidence that more often than not they're quite incompetent when outside of the narrow confines of JRPGs.#-oI like that they try though.[/QUOTE]

Einhander, Bushido Blade, Tobal 1 + 2, Rad Racer...

[quote name='tangytangerine']Digital Anvil made Brute Force, not Bungie. Maybe you're thinking of Oni?[/quote]
I'm guessing he thought because it used the halo engine it was a Bungie devoloped game.

For me there have been a lot over the years. More recently, I'd say Bioshock (which I can finally go back to on Monday and finally finish the game). I'm not disappointed in the game, but I was expecting it to be more in teh line of "incredibly fun." It isn't, it's dark and claustrophobic and navigating around is a lot of work. Coupled with the Ayn Rand "Who is John Gault" gone horribly wrong, it's very depressing as well.

Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I liked it, and finished it, but it didn't really grab me like I thought(and hoped) it would.

[quote name='aihuman']I gonna get a bludgeon for this...portal.Im very hard to impress.[/quote]

I didn't care for it much either. I only played the demo, so maybe it's crap compared to the full game, but oh well.

[quote name='Apossum']Einhander, Bushido Blade, Tobal 1 + 2, Rad Racer...[/quote]
Bushido Blade and Tobal 1+2 were published Square, not made in-house.

This thread proves there are no universally loved games anymore.

As a (former) game reviewer, I try to have my finger on the pulse of games. However, there are a lot I thought would be great, but fell short after giving 'em a chance. Prepare the hate!

Every Burnout after Burnout 3 (I miss the old Crash mode!)
Bioshock (meh...)
Shadow of the Colossus (too much filler)
Enter the Matrix
Mario Sunshine
Perfect Dark Zero
Manhunt (sooo boring)
Zelda Wind Waker (I really wanted to love it)
Jade Empire (and I love KOTOR/Mass Effect)
Shenmue (another snoozer)

[quote name='ctice44']
Gamecube
Tales of Symphonia[/quote]

:cry:

I don't like RPGs at all, and I absolutely LOVED that game.

I don't remember too far back but the latest disappointments for me:
Kingdom Hearts
Skies of Arcadia
Lego Star Wars
Pikmin

X-Men on genesis - The game was fun, only I never knew you had to literally reset the sega to move on at one point in the game.

On the flip side, I got a game called "Clash at Demonhead" from my grandma for Christmas. I was almost afraid to pop it in and play and it turned out to be one of my absolute favorites of all time. (NES game)

[quote name='looploop']Bushido Blade and Tobal 1+2 were published Square, not made in-house.[/QUOTE]

WHO CARES

I'm simply interested in the question of whether Square actually has the ability to make worthwhile non-rpgs. No need to explode, guy.:)

[quote name='looploop']I'm simply interested in the question of whether Square actually has the ability to make worthwhile non-rpgs. No need to explode, guy.:)[/QUOTE]

they at least used to have an eye for non-rpgs. they used dream factory like a rag and left them for dead. and whoever made Bushido Blade...

Halo - I could not get into it. This goes for almost any shooter game. I wanted to get into it as everyone I knew seemed to be all over it, but I couldn't.

Grand Theft Auto - It felt too repetitive to me. Just not into the open world exploring thing.

Wind Waker - I am huge Zelda fan, but this game was just so boring and seemed unbelievably slow. Sailing the sea was like watching water boil. I'll go back and play this one, but only because it says Zelda and I had to stop.

Mario Sunshine - Bigger fan of Mario then Zelda, but even I will admit this is a bad Mario game (not a bad game). The contraption on his back was just annoying. I want to love it so bad.

Phoenix Wright - It's okay, but Monkey Island and Grim Fandango are so much better. After playing the latter games, Phoenix Wright feels like it's missing something for a text adventure game like this.

NHL Hockey (Post Genesis) - Sure the graphics and 3D style play was wicked cool looking on the box, but the games sucked. The back of the box and graphics really made my expectations way high.

Animal Crossing - This is just not fun for me. I don't know what to say. I tried and tried again.

That's my list for now. There are quite a few others, but those are the big ones.

My g/f is a huge Silent Hill fan. She was a little disappointed with SH4 (along with the SH movie). She still has high hopes for SH5 though (one of the main reasons we're getting a 360 or PS3 soon). In the mean time, we got SH: 0rigins yesterday. So far, she's disappointed again with many WTF story moments (and not in a good way). *sigh* Maybe I'll read the reviews for SH5 before I invest again.

Oh, and for me: Siren was Japanese/British Dubbed-garbage. Have a nice day! :)

[quote name='Maynard']I'm not a huge Zelda fan, but is Phantom Hourglass that bad?

I'm surprised cause it was on some Best of 2007 lists...[/quote]If you enjoy the central temple (you visit it numerous times) with its stealth movement and timer, you will like the game. If you don't, you will not like the game. It's a very love-hate situation.

[quote name='budz']My g/f is a huge Silent Hill fan. She was a little disappointed with SH4 (along with the SH movie). She still has high hopes for SH5 though (one of the main reasons we're getting a 360 or PS3 soon). In the mean time, we got SH: 0rigins yesterday. So far, she's disappointed again with many WTF story moments (and not in a good way). *sigh* Maybe I'll read the reviews for SH5 before I invest again.[/quote]

SH5 is being developed by an American team (the same people who brought you Marc Ecko's Getting Up!), so I'm fully prepared to overlook it. I'm sure some old SH team members are involved (Akira Yamaoka, at least), but... seriously.

Oh yeah, forgot Super Paper Mario. LOVED Paper Mario: 1000 Year door (I could easily call it one of the best RPG's I've EVER played because the battle system was SO fun), so was expecting this to be a return to form for Mario 2D games except with the RPG acting as smaller undertones. Man, the Wii-mote functions on it butchered it for me. As in it could've been fun to just play it on the normal 2D plain, but when you had to point the wii-mote at the screen to make sure you're not missing any pixels or doors it just got tedious and frustrating and I REALLY wanted to love it. I still wish it was just a Gamecube game, simply because I feel it wouldn't be as frustrating with tacked-on wii features.

Thinking about it more...

Star Trek: Tactical Assault DS -So so game.
Star Trek: Encounters PS2 -So so game.
Star Wars: Lethal Alliance DS -I can't believe they compressed original trilogy music into this thing...sounds so crappy
Star Trek: Legacy- All that hype about all 5 captains voices in it yet the single player game is so boring. The only thing that keeps it a float is the modding of it to add new ships, textures and effects...but multiplayer is broken...can never get it to work :whistle2:(
Sim City DS- Too fucking harder than the original Sim City! Saving takes like over a minute :bomb:
Transformers DS (autobot and decepitcons) - Some what fun while the movie was in theaters, a bit difficult.
Transformers PC - Got too repetitive for me...my current rig can't handle it so playing it at 12 fps is no fun :whistle2:(
UT3 - Got a good deal on this, tweaked the settings so I can run it very well on my 4 year old rig...however i lost interested in it 2 weeks later. Disappointed that it didn't come with level editing tools that UT2k4 came with.
Spiderman 3: Frame rates on my current rig prevent me from enjoying this game :whistle2:(
Star Wars Galaxies - Looked forward to this game for a very long time. Had a lot of fun, building up my character, exploring new worlds, making new friends and going off on adventures and so on. Two things shot it for me. First was the immature population of the server my character was stuck in and second the Combat Upgrade/NGE which completely destroyed my cool TKA/MBH/Medic :whistle2:( The game turns 5 this year.
City of Heroes: More amusing than fun for the first month then i got bored of it and didn't renew my subscription after the 3rd month.

That's all for now...more later..

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh yeah, forgot Super Paper Mario. LOVED Paper Mario: 1000 Year door (I could easily call it one of the best RPG's I've EVER played because the battle system was SO fun), so was expecting this to be a return to form for Mario 2D games except with the RPG acting as smaller undertones. Man, the Wii-mote functions on it butchered it for me. As in it could've been fun to just play it on the normal 2D plain, but when you had to point the wii-mote at the screen to make sure you're not missing any pixels or doors it just got tedious and frustrating and I REALLY wanted to love it. I still wish it was just a Gamecube game, simply because I feel it wouldn't be as frustrating with tacked-on wii features.[/quote]

Huh. I feel the opposite way. I was hoping TYD would be really good as people were raving about it, but all it did was piss me off that I had to stop every 3 seconds for a slow, pain in the ass RPG style battle that I could only use one other helper at a time with wasting turns until I started to just RUN from everything, and gave up entirely by the 3rd world. I rented Super Paper Mario yesterday, and I'm having a great time because the whole game doesn't stop every time I touch an enemy (though I got my ass kicked by Mimi for it).

Damn ITDEFX, you sure do like spending your time playing crappy games.

There have been so many games already listed on here that evoked "OH SNAP, that game WAS disappointing" moments that I am compelled to give me two cents.

I agree whole heartedly that Deux Ex: Invisible War was the definition of disappointment. Its evil was so powerful that it almost traveled back in time and killed my ability to enjoy the first game.

I actually picked up Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 at the same time really cheaply at GS. I got through 2/3 of VJ 1 before I became bored replaying a level for the fifth time. Furthermore, I felt that I was going to become physically ill if I heard Joe or his gf yell one more inane expression like "GO, GO, Baby" /gag

The DMC series. If I wanted to inflict pain on myself in such quantities, I turn myself over to the Spanish Inquisition.

Ground Control for the PC: bores to tears

I totally feel for those who rented "Where is Mario?" and could not figure out what the hell they had to do.

Jurassic Park for the SNES. Who the hell makes a game that long WITH NO SAVES! My cousin was actually 10 seconds from walking on the boat to finish the game when he forgot about the final Tricerotops and got run over. Boy was he pissed.

While I don't have anything against KH series, the same cousin played through most of KH 1 when, while watching a cut scene, he suddenly realized that he was helping a duck save a mermaid and couldn't figure out why a grown man was doing that. He never played the game again.

[quote name='joshnorm']Also, DMC4 was awful

Maybe it was because you played as a whinny brat but I went in thinking Ninja Gaiden, but got this crap[/quote]

Kill yourself.

[quote name='looploop']Really? But you're free to explore as much as you like so long as you complete the case files on time. All the other scoops are optional unless you're going for achievements. Granted, the convicts are annoying at first, but once the shortcut between Wonderland Plaza and Paradise Plaza is unlocked they're a non-issue. (In addition, with the proper weapons (hello sniper rifle, small chainsaw, real mega buster) the Convicts are fun to take out.)

You might want to give it another shot. I actually had a similar experience. I bought the game in the summer and was so frustrated with it that I gave up after a week and didn't touch it until February. When I gave up trying to do everything in a single run, found out where to pick up the stronger weapons, and that survivors could be armed(I was so frustrated before I learned this!), the game became a lot more fun.[/quote]

Maybe you're right, But at this point I might just wait to see if a sequel ever comes out for the game. I don't really have the money to re-buy the game right now.

New Super Mario Bros.

Sooo excited for this game being the Mario fan that I truly am, and it ended up feeling so uninspired with its baby-level difficulty and run of the mil levels.

New Super Mario Bros.
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
FF: Crystal Chronicles
Dead Rising
Assassins Creed
Phantasy Star Universe
Lair

Mass Effect.
I was really bored with the seemingly recycled fetch quest and gameplay from the KOTOR series. I really expected more from this game, and I just couldnt even begin to want to finish it. Maybe I gave up to soon, but i just wanted a Gears of War type shooting element in the game, not the lame shooting action I got from the first couple of hours.

I got GTA San Andreas on Black Friday years ago for a steal and decided to try it after all the craze for it, but it ended up being a chore rather than fun.

Burnout Paradise was a grave disappointment after seeing a lot of those high scoring reviews.

I also purchased Oblivion following much of the hype yet just couldn't get into it at all.

Damn you sand box style games.

[quote name='zewone']New Super Mario Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dead Rising
Assassins Creed
Phantasy Star Universe
Lair[/quote]

Brawl and TP?!

Damn, got some high standards there!

[quote name='zewone']New Super Mario Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dead Rising
Assassins Creed
Phantasy Star Universe
Lair[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Twilight Princess. I agree with that. The first 5ish hours of the game are so boring that I quit. I could have punished myself and made myself play through, but I didn't see the point.

[quote name='whoknows']I forgot about Twilight Princess. I agree with that. The first 5ish hours of the game are so boring that I quit. I could have punished myself and made myself play through, but I didn't see the point.[/quote]

TP can be boring at times, yes, but I see it as worth it. I was so glad I continued after the initial borefest because it got that much better.

Though by the last dungeon I was ready to call in the towel. It just got way too tedious.

I knew that it got better, but it was so boring and absolutely no fun to play through in the first 5+ hours I decided to stop and play something that I actually enjoyed, since you know, games are supposed to be fun not a chore.

I hate when they do boring stuff in Zelda games! That
Tri-Force collecting part in WW ruined the game for me and I loved it up until that point

[quote name='whoknows']I knew that it got better, but it was so boring and absolutely no fun to play through in the first 5+ hours I decided to stop and play something that I actually enjoyed, since you know, games are supposed to be fun not a chore.[/quote]

I definitely see where you're coming from, but I guess I'm a little more willing to work for some fun than most if it's actually worth it in the end.

Oh yeah that part of WW ruined the game for me as well, I literally stopped playing at that part. It sucks because the game was so much fun up until that crappy part.

I wish they just made it shorter.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I definitely see where you're coming from, but I guess I'm a little more willing to work for some fun than most if it's actually worth it in the end.

Oh yeah that part of WW ruined the game for me as well, I literally stopped playing at that part. It sucks because the game was so much fun up until that crappy part.

I wish they just made it shorter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was definitely a lame way to make the game longer.

I pretty much stopped there too. I got 2 of the pieces then I said screw it and turned it off. I got a save from my friend though so I was able to see the end of the game :p

Still my favorite Zelda regardless, I just wish that they took that part out.

Now, I'm listing mostly sequels and higher profile games, since I feel those always have way more of a 'let-down' factor.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 - a 75% finished sequel featuring characters that weren't even in the first game? Sign me up!

Final Fantasy VII - heard great things, picked up a black label copy the week they switched to GH, played it for about 10 hours, sold it to my friend who was infinitely more excited than I was for $15.

Silent Hill 3 and 4 - another shining example of a series that never really should have *been* a series. The first two are in my top 10 games ever, but these two were just huge misses.

Halo 2 - Loved the first Halo, never got into this one even after pre-ordering and getting it day one. As a result, have yet to even play 3.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - the demo that came with Zone of the Enders was, by far, the best part of the game. Lord, how I wish I had just stopped after the boat. Raiden, fat bomb maker on rollerblades, a vampire, and personality changing arms? This wasn't the Metal Gear Solid I signed up for. Also the number one reason I'm not real excited about 4. Kojima works best when he scales it back.

From Russia With Love - hey, let's take everything that was perfect about Everything or Nothing and completely ruin it! Brilliant! A completely toothless and castrated sequel featuring the mindf**ck of hearing old Connery coming out of young Connery. Colossal misfire. Luckily, it only took one more godawful game for them to lose the Bond licence.

Mario Strikers Charged - the GC one makes me absolutely giddy when I'm slamming people violently into electric walls. This one just didn't have the same feel, or fun, that the original did. Also, way too hard.

Jade Empire - the first non-sequel on here. I played this because of BioWare, and I simply couldn't get into it. It was a game where I got about 1/4 of the way through, asked myself 'why am I playing this?', turned it off, and never looked back. Disappointing, as I've obsessively played and re-played both KOTOR and Mass Effect.

Dino Crisis - an RE game with dinosaurs? You know, it seemed like an okay idea... until you played it. Here's a tip, gamemakers, give us weapons that will ACTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE AND/OR KILL THE ENEMIES. Generally speaking, I don't like to spend the majority of a game avoiding or running away. One bright side is, for my pop-culture addled teenage mind, it gave me ample opportunity to use up my lifetime supply of screaming 'Run away!' in the Python style. In retrospect, though, now that we know that the second sequel is 'dinosaurs in space', this game was the least of the series' worries.

State of Emergency - yeah, they got me too, the bastards.

The biggest one recently for me has to be Mass Effect. I almost never play RPGs, but in everything I read about the game before it's release, I thought this one would hit the sweet spot between story and action. I even bought the prequel novel, just to be up on the story when I started the game. Then I started it, and was bored to tears almost immediately. I kept going back and trying to get into it, but when I feel like I'm forcing myself to play something, it doesn't take long to realize I'm not enjoying myself.

Admittedly, I didn't get far into the game. Just beyond the alien "sex scene". I've heard it gets better later, but I just don't feel all that motivated to find out for myself.

Definitely Super Paper Mario. I was a big fan of the two original Paper Mario games and SPM was the first new game I bought when I got my Wii. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed. there was way too much dialogue, and when the gameplay was happening, it just didn't deliver. I know a lot of people like this game but I couldn't get into it for the life of me.

[quote name='007']Dino Crisis - an RE game with dinosaurs? You know, it seemed like an okay idea... until you played it. Here's a tip, gamemakers, give us weapons that will ACTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE AND/OR KILL THE ENEMIES. Generally speaking, I don't like to spend the majority of a game avoiding or running away. One bright side is, for my pop-culture addled teenage mind, it gave me ample opportunity to use up my lifetime supply of screaming 'Run away!' in the Python style. In retrospect, though, now that we know that the second sequel is 'dinosaurs in space', this game was the least of the series' worries.[/quote]

I didn't like DC1 and never played 3, but please pick up a cheap copy of DC2 because it's amazing. It's a straight-up action game where you shoot dinosaurs with a couple of MP5s or an anti-tank rifle, and you have unlimited ammo. It's got a chain combo system like the RE Mercenaries games and the Club, more recently, and it's just ridiculously fun. I guess that would be a good fit for the "games you didn't expect to be fun" thread.

Assassins creed. My friend bought me the game as a gift. its just sitting there, havent picked it up, i got bored of it fast.meh ill finish it in teh summer, if im not busy.

Chaos Legion, my girlfriend at the time told me it was like Devil May Cry, but better. Man, as soon as I started playing I hated it simply for the fact that my main character should not be moving slow as shit. Not to mention camera was pain in the ass when it get's swarmed with bugs AKA constantly.

Simpsons: Hit & Run, LOVED Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and it was from the same creators and it was about time for a good Simpsons game, right? Nope, instead it just felt like a shallow, crappy, wannabe GTA game except with half-assed humor and just boring (just like Simpsons has been for past decade).

[quote name='Danimal']The biggest one recently for me has to be Mass Effect. I almost never play RPGs, but in everything I read about the game before it's release, I thought this one would hit the sweet spot between story and action. I even bought the prequel novel, just to be up on the story when I started the game. Then I started it, and was bored to tears almost immediately. I kept going back and trying to get into it, but when I feel like I'm forcing myself to play something, it doesn't take long to realize I'm not enjoying myself.

Admittedly, I didn't get far into the game. Just beyond the alien "sex scene". I've heard it gets better later, but I just don't feel all that motivated to find out for myself.[/quote]
You made it to the sex scene right before ilos? You almost finished the game...

[quote name='hec204']You made it to the sex scene right before ilos? You almost finished the game...[/quote]

There's another sex scene you can have with the consort. I'm guessing that's what he meant, especially because of the quotes, because it's mostly faces. (Plus the cheesy Titantic hand.)

I can see how it would be easy to get bored with Mass Effect since it throws several hours of combat-light sidequests at you right away. If those aren't your thing, just ignore them and get off the Citadel so you can get back to shooting some aliens.

bread's done
Back