Most expensive game you've ever bought

I bought a Golden Axe arcade machine for $150 that was probably the most spent on an actual game. I Paid $300 for my ION drum set....and for my most expensive regret....$69.99 for Gex 64, I remember blowing my whole paper route money on that lame ass piece of shit.

The Rock Band 1 bundle, definitely. But if we're talking just games and not bundles, it would probably be a Super Nintendo game back in the day. Street Fighter II Turbo or Donkey Kong Country, maybe? I don't think I've paid more than $60 plus tax for any other game, and those SNES games, I didn't buy myself. I was in single digits when SFIIT came out, and about 10-11 when DKC was released.

[quote name='Matt Young']The Rock Band 1 bundle, definitely. But if we're talking just games and not bundles, it would probably be a Super Nintendo game back in the day. Street Fighter II Turbo or Donkey Kong Country, maybe? I don't think I've paid more than $60 plus tax for any other game, and those SNES games, I didn't buy myself. I was in single digits when SFIIT came out, and about 10-11 when DKC was released.[/QUOTE]

Also Rock Band, $180 for a game/instruments, plus who knows how many songs I've bought.

$59.99 each for Dragon Warrior III and IV for the original NES - and that was back in 1991 and 1992, respectively, so what would that be in today's inflated dollars??

Proud to say I've never paid full price for a game since....rare or otherwise! ;)

EDIT: in today's dollars, those would be $93.31 and $90.59

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']Around $600 on WoW. I don't think I've ever gotten a better deal on a game though, $15 a month is a steal if you play enough.[/QUOTE]

Well, if we are counting subscription fees into the total, as well as expansions, then World of Warcraft would be the highest costing game for me, at around $1000 total. I hadn't even thought of it until I read your post, and now I am extremely shocked that I paid that much.

[quote name='Mafia']
A few years back I got Steel Battalion for $100 when Media Play were getting rid of them, and that doesn't trump the people that paid $300 for it on release.[/QUOTE]

Yeap. When we went to get it for $100 that was the most expensive game I've ever bought to date.

Some people still think I spent more then $100 on Halo 3 Legendary, but in reality i only get shit like that when it's 50% or more off. I'm sure I'll get the Reach Legendary when its that price.

Ok, if we are factoring in MMO's then I paid for 5+ years of Ultima Online at $10 a month, which would be $600+ when it was all said and done. Though to be fair I got 75% of that money back after selling my account (which felt very dirty at the time, but I'd rather have gotten some of money back after so much spending. I heard it isn't easy with WoW to sell your account.)

I just forgot about Star Craft Liberty CE to. But thanks to that awesome Gamestop promo discount I am only spending about $80 on it, and I might end up selling it for profit anyways.

Factoring inflation and all, original NES game, Romance of Three Kingdoms, I believe it was the first game i ever bought that came with SAVE option. At the time it was $80...

[quote name='crystalklear64']paid 250$ for wii sports[/QUOTE]

I paid like 300 bucks + 800 MS points for Geo Wars 1 for a long long time.

[quote name='Ziv']I paid $200 for Steel Battalion at launch (which was msrp, not $300). Don't plan on topping that.[/QUOTE]

same, bought it on release day. Really wish I didn't sell it (especially since I only got about $60 for it).

[quote name='Ziv']I paid $200 for Steel Battalion at launch (which was msrp, not $300). Don't plan on topping that.[/QUOTE]

Same here... Still have it in its box (have played it though)

[quote name='Puffa469']Three Words...

Night
Vision
Goggles

I have extreme buyers remorse.[/QUOTE]

I cant even imagine those not being worth the price you paid!!

[quote name='Matedawg11']I cant even imagine those not being worth the price you paid!![/QUOTE]

I never get the Night Version Edition of MW2... Do those thing actually work? Like the real thing? If it is, it definitely worth the money no?

Anyhow, i'm surprised many of you can afford NeoGeo carts back then. To me, they were like candy toys, can only look at them but way way way out of my allowances... I had to save for months to buy Super Mario 3 NES. I remember I paid $90 for both SBM 2 and 3 for the NES.

~$80 for various SNES games is still my all time high. None of the really expensive Collector's Editions this gen has caught my eye yet. I totally would have spent $150 on a Final Fantasy XIII super edition if there had been one.

[quote name='Serpentor']

Anyhow, i'm surprised many of you can afford NeoGeo carts back then. To me, they were like candy toys, can only look at them but way way way out of my allowances... I had to save for months to buy Super Mario 3 NES. I remember I paid $90 for both SBM 2 and 3 for the NES.[/QUOTE]

I got mine in '95 used from a kid who was gonna use the $$ to buy a computer. Hardly bought any games until around '99. The games I did buy before then ended up being pretty good deals (like Aero Fighters II & KoF '94 for $80).

By the time I bought new retail games for it, I was out of college and making decent money and living with my parents.

I wish I would've known about Metal Slug when it first came out. It goes for a fortune now.

Is this like confession? admitting to mistakes; yup.

$90 Resident Evil 5 - Collector's Edition + $14 in DLC.
$80 Ace Combat 6 - Flight Stick Bundle.
$80 Assassin's Creed 2 - Master Assassin's Edition.

all overpaid, all sin. dumbassgamer here.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Is this like confession? admitting to mistakes; yup.

$90 Resident Evil 5 - Collector's Edition + $14 in DLC.
$80 Ace Combat 6 - Flight Stick Bundle.
$80 Assassin's Creed 2 - Master Assassin's Edition.

all overpaid, all sin. dumbassgamer here.[/QUOTE]

Guilty too... dumdassgamer :lol: But i think i did slightly better, i bought RE5 CE for $80 shipped.

Never again man, never again... Only the games i know i need, i must play on day one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']~$80 for various SNES games is still my all time high. None of the really expensive Collector's Editions this gen has caught my eye yet. I totally would have spent $150 on a Final Fantasy XIII super edition if there had been one.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's this FFXIII Lightning Edition Deluxe, not sure you gonna go for it...

Probably the Beatles Rock Band bundle. I can't remember how much it was, but I know I paid full price on release day. I know it was at least $50 more than other RB bundles, for Beatles tax or something. Whatever, I didn't have drums at the time.

[quote name='ZForce']Phantasy Star IV for Genesis, 99.99 + Tax[/QUOTE]

Yup that's mine too.

$1400 for a Fish Tales pinball machine. That's the most I've ever paid for a game and that was certainly worth it. Now if you mean video games... I don't think I've ever paid even $60. $60 is too damn much for a video game. Recently I've been able to buy new releases via pre-order due to deals being offered by gamestop.com and others, mostly gamestop.com. Tomorrow I will be struck by lightning.

[quote name='Dakinggamer']I think Panzer Dragoon Saga at $200 complete on Saturn but I forget how much I spent on some of those arcade Neo-Geo carts..:lol:[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I bought mine for $60 at launch and sold mine for the same amount $200 10 years later.

I think the most I've ever spent on a single game was $80 on Phantasy Star III for the Genesis, which ended up sucking.

Battlefield Bad Company Gold Edition for PS3 $70.00 w/$10 credit. Never regretted it, and I still love that game. Other than that, never spent over $60 for a game, though I have sold plenty of my games for near $100 after paying roughly $10 for them. It is all about patience.

[quote name='tbassett']I paid $100 for a mint Panzer Dragoon Saga about a year ago. Don't regret that one bit, one of the greatest games of all time.[/QUOTE]

God I love that game. I picked my copy up at my Toys-R-Us for $7.99 back in the day. Little did I know. Why Sega hasn't done a remake of this game is beyond me. I may get flamed for saying this but I think the Wiimote+Nunchuck would be the perfect control system for this game. Gotta go hook my Saturn up now.:D

In ascending order:

Street Fighter 3 - $100 game plus the CPS3 arcade system. Bought nearly ten years ago.

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - $110 The arcade game board only. Bought maybe 7 years ago.

Steel Battalion - $130 Bought this before they did the second run.

Dungeons and Dragons Shadow Over Mystara - $250 Brand new arcade kit. Bought right around 8 years ago.

Who Dunnit pinball - $1100

Demolition Man pinball - $1200

Tales From The Crypt pin - $1700

Scared Stiff pin - $2300

Monster Bash pin - $3000 It was a steal at that price

The Simpsons Pinball Party - $3800 Bought new

Not a game, but I seem to be the only jackass who shelled out $200 for one of these Blazblue TE sticks.

Outside of that I paid $100 for a CIB Steel Battalion last summer (a reasonable price IMO), two years ago I bought a CIB copy of Nights: Into Dreams for $80 (NOT a reasonable price), and about a year and a half ago I bought a complete black label Final Fantasy VII for $80, a few weeks before they announced it for PSN (also not very reasonable but I liked the mom & pop store that was selling it and wanted to keep them in business... they closed shop a few months later, go figure)

[quote name='kurrptsenate']they made one for regular xbox. all they would need to do is make another sequel. not really a remake[/QUOTE]

The Xbox version was Panzer Dragoon Orta, which was similar to I and II. Panzer Dragoon Saga was a pure RPG and was absolutely incredible.

Order of most expensive to least here is my top 3:
Rock Band Bundle - $150
DJ Hero - $120 (My family likes the game and we got it day 1 for a Halloween party so it was worth it to me)
Phantasy Star 4 - $100 (This was on launch day, split with a girl that was a friend, and I don't think she ever let me play it lol)

bread's done
Back