Most Over Rated Game of All Time

Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf
It scored .2 points below its predecessor, when i felt the gameplay difference was horrendous.
They could have made it better

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Halo 2's campaign was dissapointing but the Xbox live multiplayer MORE than made up for it.

In the media, it has to be Fable (haven't played Halo, so it may be worse).
On CAG it has to be Ico. I played till the end hoping for some redeeming quality, but their are none. That game is complete trash, nothing but a repetitive, protect the girl POS.
Overrated on CAG, in magazines, and just about everyone is FF VII. Also complete trash. I played for maybe 10 minutes before trading it back in.

[quote name='ragtop70']In the media, it has to be Fable (haven't played Halo, so it may be worse).
On CAG it has to be Ico. I played till the end hoping for some redeeming quality, but their are none. That game is complete trash, nothing but a repetitive, protect the girl POS.
Overrated on CAG, in magazines, and just about everyone is FF VII. Also complete trash. I played for maybe 10 minutes before trading it back in.[/QUOTE]

You can't really judge an entire game, let alone an RPG, off of ten minutes (unless the game is so buggy it won't let you progress). FFVII is a very good game. The Materia system is nice and the characters are memorable. It's just not the very best in the genre. The main thing that hurts the game is the graphics. They just don't have the personality that 2D RPGs have.

[quote name='ragtop70']... it has to be Ico[/QUOTE]

You're still thinking of Ico as a game when it's really a work of art.

It has sloppy controls, and it's too short, but I don't think I've ever sympathized so much with a character as I have with Ico. I genuinely wanted to save Yorda, and I got scared for her when the spirits came. I ran for every one of those blocky green couches, too.

It's not the be-all and end-all of gaming, but it immerses you in the experience, and all games could benefit from being more immersive.

So the PS2 is a canvas and the game discs are the paint? A work of art? You're kidding right? It's a game. Playstation, Xbox, GameCube, etc. are game consoles for games. If it were a sculpture or a painting then I would agree with you, but it was marketed as a GAME and it is a forking $hitty one at that.

[quote name='ragtop70']So the PS2 is a canvas and the game discs are the paint? A work of art? You're kidding right? It's a game. Playstation, Xbox, GameCube, etc. are game consoles for games. If it were a sculpture or a painting then I would agree with you, but it was marketed as a GAME and it is a forking $hitty one at that.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. It's not a great game. It's a great experience, in my opinion. All I'm saying is that the experience was good enough (for me) that the sub-par gameplay couldn't ruin it.

I honestly think it would have made a better independant short film.

That being said, it still gets put in my PS2 occasionally.

Also, yes, I do think of games as an art form. They're interactive fiction if you do it right. I think movies are art, too. They're all creative endeavors with no purpose other than entertain the audience.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You can't really judge an entire game, let alone an RPG, off of ten minutes (unless the game is so buggy it won't let you progress). FFVII is a very good game. The Materia system is nice and the characters are memorable. It's just not the very best in the genre. The main thing that hurts the game is the graphics. They just don't have the personality that 2D RPGs have.[/QUOTE]

Its funny, the same thing happened to me when I picked up True Crime: Streets of LA. I played it for 10 minutes - through all the cheesy dialog and half-ass street fights before I decided I didnt want to play this game anymore. I traded that game for something else.

I officially spent too much time on this thread.

Final Fantasy VII: It was graphically amazing at the time, but I really didn't care for any of the characters. The "tragic" moment didn't really phase me at all since I didn't care. I basically felt sorry for the villain, and killing him didn't feel as good as killing the villain in FFVI (wow I am making an effort to keep this spoiler-free). The music wasn't bad, but it couldn't hold a candle to VI's soundtrack. I liked the Materia system, but I prefered VIII's Junction system. It wasn't the worst FF, but I feel like people give it a lot more credit than it deserves (though it did greatly help RPGs become mainstream). At the time, I liked it, but playing it now is kinda boring.

Final Fantasy V: Worst soundtrack in the series. The job system is cool but I liked using it in Tactics way more, where it actually makes sense to have an archer instead of a knight sometimes (instead of to build up getting an ability like X-strike or whatever). Boring story. Completely dull characters. Villain with a stupid name made it hard for me to take seriously. Worse graphics than IV. Everyone who played the Japanese release (or translated ROM) hyped and rated this one to be the best in the series after we got VI, but I really don't see what's so great about it. Maybe I would have liked it if I didn't play FF Tactics first, but I did, and I prefer the job system there (not to mention its superior all around gameplay and presentation).

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance: Graphically superior to CotM, but worse music than the other GBA iterations. Too easy in comparison to the more pleasureful difficulty of CotM. Not grand enough to hold a candle to AoS or SotN, but it sure tried its hardest to be like Symphony. No replay value (different modes in CotM were fun and challenging). A decent game, but it did not deserve the ratings it received. Boring magic system in comparison to CotM. Boring items in comparison to AoS. Lack of hidden areas.

Wow.

I can't believe I'm not the only one on this earth who thought FF7 was over-rated. It was a good game, but I felt like it was a very hollow experience for me somehow.

As for my nominees for most Over-rated (Not "Bad", just over-rated whether by media or word of mouth):

Metal Gear Solid
Every Madden game ever made
XBox
Gamecube

Before you call me a fanboy for hating on the XBox and/or Gamecube, I'm not saying they're "Worse" than any other system - just that most of their fans and the media surrounding each of them would have you believe the machine could walk on water. I don't think Gamecube ever lived up to its promise to be "The" gaming-centered machine and XBox never distanced itself from being a PC dressed up as a gaming console either. The XBox faithful, media, and the MS marketing machine in general seem to have brought the public to give the system more credit than it deserves, IMO.

Again, before you call me a fanboy, know that I own all three systems and PS2 is NOT my favorite of the three...

FF VII only has so many slobbering fanboys because it was their first RPG. It wasn't the best RPG. It wasn't the best first-gen 3-D RPG. Hell, it wasn't even the best PSX FF, in my opinion. It's just when FF became mainstream in the US.

If only we'd all fallen in love with FF II (IV JP), the world would be a better place. I'm convinced that game brought about the job system (Cecil's class change), and it was story driven, not FMV driven.

[quote name='jclast']FF VII only has so many slobbering fanboys because it was their first RPG. It wasn't the best RPG. It wasn't the best first-gen 3-D RPG. Hell, it wasn't even the best PSX FF, in my opinion. It's just when FF became mainstream in the US.

If only we'd all fallen in love with FF II (IV JP), the world would be a better place. I'm convinced that game brought about the job system (Cecil's class change), and it was story driven, not FMV driven.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I only know one person who played FFs before FFVII and feels that FFVII was the best in the series. It's actually my least favorite PSX FF (if you don't count the port of V).

I started with VI as well (if you don't count playing FFI for a few hours on a rental). A lot of people who have played it say that FFIIIj brought about the job system. I wouldn't know since I have never played it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You can't really judge an entire game, let alone an RPG, off of ten minutes (unless the game is so buggy it won't let you progress). FFVII is a very good game. The Materia system is nice and the characters are memorable. It's just not the very best in the genre. The main thing that hurts the game is the graphics. They just don't have the personality that 2D RPGs have.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I love FFVII. Like you said, the Materia system was awesome. I wish they would bring it back in future Final Fantasy's. I can't count how many times I mastered all my materia so I could have the Master versions of the different colored Materia. It's addicting. And, I also agree with you on how you can't judge an RPG off of 10 minutes of playing. YOu really need to play several hours of them to really determine your view on it. I don't care that people hate on FFVII, cause everyone has their own opinions, but thats just shitty.

[quote name='jclast']You're still thinking of Ico as a game when it's really a work of art.

It has sloppy controls, and it's too short, but I don't think I've ever sympathized so much with a character as I have with Ico. I genuinely wanted to save Yorda, and I got scared for her when the spirits came. I ran for every one of those blocky green couches, too.

It's not the be-all and end-all of gaming, but it immerses you in the experience, and all games could benefit from being more immersive.[/QUOTE]
your right, i believe ICO is a work of art, since some things can be art, since we must look at art not as a class, but ART as a study, as a way

Shit man I can't even argue about art.

Person 1: Look at this work of art.
Person 2: It's a piece of dog crap smeared on a board. That's art?
Person 1: Yes. It's beautiful isn't it?

Eh, I don't get art. Funny thing is... people have always called me an artist.

The next time someone does this thread make sure to title it:

"Most overrated game, other than Final Fantasy 7"

We might get some more serious discussion...

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Shit man I can't even argue about art.

Person 1: Look at this work of art.
Person 2: It's a piece of dog crap smeared on a board. That's art?
Person 1: Yes. It's beautiful isn't it?

Eh, I don't get art. Funny thing is... people have always called me an artist.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Great reply. But just for clarity I don't think of it as art for a cop-out to people saying it's bad. I say it because I don't think of it as a game. Just like, SimCity (and all its offspring), in my mind, are toys rather than games.

Categorization is in the eye of the beholder...or some such nonsense.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Can a movie be a work of art?[/QUOTE]

I think so. But I have a pretty broad definition of art, and here it is:

a creative endeavor whose sole purpose is to enteratin an audience.

It makes art much more interesting because I know darn well that H2G2, Playboy, and videogames (and many other things) are entertaining. ^_^

[quote name='onikage']The next time someone does this thread make sure to title it:

"Most overrated game, other than Final Fantasy 7"

We might get some more serious discussion...[/QUOTE]

HAH!

Well anyways after reading through this entire thread...here is a quick list off the top of my head which I am prepared to get flamed for: ;)

Medal Of Honor: Frontline (Consoles) - Especially if you have ever played the PC series.

ANY of the TONY HAWK games (Consoles)

Battlefield 1942 (PC) - The vehicular additions & concept of this game was great...but the game itself was not.

Call of Duty (PC) - Although I do like this game...I just don't think it is this spectacular piece of fps history that it was made out to be.

& I definitely have to add that I've never seen more "SHAQ-FU" references in........well.......in ANYTHING.........EVER.

[quote name='BaZoOKajOe']& I definitely have to add that I've never seen more "SHAQ-FU" references in........well.......in ANYTHING.........EVER.[/QUOTE]

"Shaq-Fu" is automatically put in place of the F-Word on this site, to keep it PG-13. I thought it was hilarious when I first saw as well.

Not sure if you already knew that or if you're new here (It says you're a "newbie"), but maybe someone else was wondering about Shaq Fu as well...

[quote name='chosen1s']Wow.

I can't believe I'm not the only one on this earth who thought FF7 was over-rated. It was a good game, but I felt like it was a very hollow experience for me somehow.

As for my nominees for most Over-rated (Not "Bad", just over-rated whether by media or word of mouth):

Metal Gear Solid
Every Madden game ever made
XBox
Gamecube

Before you call me a fanboy for hating on the XBox and/or Gamecube, I'm not saying they're "Worse" than any other system - just that most of their fans and the media surrounding each of them would have you believe the machine could walk on water. I don't think Gamecube ever lived up to its promise to be "The" gaming-centered machine and XBox never distanced itself from being a PC dressed up as a gaming console either. The XBox faithful, media, and the MS marketing machine in general seem to have brought the public to give the system more credit than it deserves, IMO.

Again, before you call me a fanboy, know that I own all three systems and PS2 is NOT my favorite of the three...[/QUOTE]

I agree that Nintendo fans definitely have a skewed view of the Gamecube and seem to think you can't find it's gaming experience on any other console, but the media? The Gamecube is getting bashed everywhere from CNN to G4.

[quote name='Parathod']I agree that Nintendo fans definitely have a skewed view of the Gamecube and seem to think you can't find it's gaming experience on any other console, but the media? The Gamecube is getting bashed everywhere from CNN to G4.[/QUOTE]

I guess I lumped the media in because when the Gamecube first came out, if I remember correctly they took the stance of "Nintendo promises this will be the easiest system to program games from, and have opted not to include a DVD player because they claim gamers don't need it blah blah blah."

I agree that the GC doesn't get much good press and never really has, but what was reported initially as Nintendo's hopes and expectations has not been realized yet. Also, I was lumping it in with XBox, which is a media darling somehow...

[quote name='jughead']ah halo haters. you'll never understand....[/QUOTE]

I don't hate Halo, I just suck at it.

However, I've tried to watch others play it and it's not much more fun than watching someone else bowl - It's not much fun unless you're the one doing it.

So I guess you're right, I'll never understand. But it's not for lack of trying...

I understand perfectly. Microsoft took an average first-person shooter with excellent multiplayer, and they made sure it supported Live. It was then (and has been since) lauded as the best thing since sliced bread because it was the first and it has the largest installed user base. No matter how good what comes down the pipe next is, it won't matter if everyone else is playing Halo. Deathmatch is no fun if I'm the only one there. Market share is what makes Halo the game it is, and it got that because it was the first to market.

It's a good game, a good console FPS, and a lot of fun to play multi, but it's not the greatest game ever, and it never will be. No game with as sub-par a story (some of us still look for stories to go along with our games) will ever be the greatest.

/rant

Also, just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean that those people don't understand you.

EDIT: I do not hate Halo. I simply think it is overrated.
MORE EDIT: It turns out I'm wrong. Halo 1 does not support Live. Sorry for any confusion. Also, by first to market, I mean first to market on X-Box being as it was a launch title.

So, we can't hate a game? How do we not understand? We played the game, it sucks, there you go. I liked Halo 1, but 2 sucks balls.

[quote name='jclast']I understand perfectly. Microsoft took an average first-person shooter with excellent multiplayer, and they made sure it supported Live. It was then (and has been since) lauded as the best thing since sliced bread because it was the first and it has the largest installed user base. No matter how good what comes down the pipe next is, it won't matter if everyone else is playing Halo. Deathmatch is no fun if I'm the only one there. Market share is what makes Halo the game it is, and it got that because it was the first to market.

It's a good game, a good console FPS, and a lot of fun to play multi, but it's not the greatest game ever, and it never will be. No game with as sub-par a story (some of us still look for stories to go along with our games) will ever be the greatest.

/rant

Also, just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean that those people don't understand you.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='jclast']and it got that because it was the first to market.[/QUOTE]

First to the market? :? It came out 6 months ago.

Halo 2 was hugely overhyped - pretty disappointing. Same thing over and over again. Horrible ending. Doom 3 was also a big letdown. I was hugely surprised by FarCry and I thought Half Life 2 was impressive as well.

The Halo series - totally over it.

[quote name='zewone']First to the market? :? It came out 6 months ago.[/QUOTE]

In what universe did Halo come out 6 months ago? Halo 2 is relatively new, but Halo was a launch title, I believe. We were called Halo haters, not Halo 2 haters.

But as an extension, it makes sense that everybody addicted to the original would rush out like sheep and buy the second one on release day, maintaining its player count from one iteration to the next.

Metal Gear Solid 2

Worst PS2 game I have ever played, and I have played some stinkers (like Ratchet & Clank 3).

It was short (thankfully), and had the worst and most corny storyline I have ever seen in my life.

And all of the bosses were so lame...

God, I hated that game.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Metal Gear Solid 2

Worst PS2 game I have ever played, and I have played some stinkers (like Ratchet & Clank 3).

It was short (thankfully), and had the worst and most corny storyline I have ever seen in my life.

And all of the bosses were so lame...

God, I hated that game.[/QUOTE]

I've actually been looking to pick this one up. Wierdo story or not, is there still good sneaking and badassery? I've only played Twin Snakes for GameCube, and I'm curious how the others stack up.

[quote name='jclast']I've actually been looking to pick this one up. Wierdo story or not, is there still good sneaking and badassery? I've only played Twin Snakes for GameCube, and I'm curious how the others stack up.[/QUOTE]

don't listen to him, it is the best game of this generation bar none, and one of my favorites of all-time (SF II is my favorite game, but this is probably second). The story is perfect for the material it tries to tackle, the gameplay is extremely tight, and the music is amazing.

[quote name='jclast']In what universe did Halo come out 6 months ago? Halo 2 is relatively new, but Halo was a launch title, I believe. We were called Halo haters, not Halo 2 haters.

But as an extension, it makes sense that everybody addicted to the original would rush out like sheep and buy the second one on release day, maintaining its player count from one iteration to the next.[/QUOTE]

You said, "Microsoft took an average first-person shooter with excellent multiplayer, and they made sure it supported Live." Halo 1 didn't support Live. Halo 2 did. I used common sense to assume you mean't Halo 2 because I'm giving you the reasonable doubt that you are an itelligent person who would know this, but then you say it was the first to the market?

If I'm not mistaken, there was other FPSs before Halo 1 was released. So how was it the first to the market? Unless you mean just on the Xbox. Though you explain none of this. You expect all readers of your post to be able to read your thoughts to know what you're talking about.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']don't listen to him, it is the best game of this generation bar none, and one of my favorites of all-time (SF II is my favorite game, but this is probably second). The story is perfect for the material it tries to tackle, the gameplay is extremely tight, and the music is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Metal Gear Solid 3 is better than 2. Metal Gear Solid 1 is better than 2. Metal Gear Solid for the GBA is better than 2. Metal Gear Ac!d is better than 2. :D All true.

[quote name='zewone']You said, "Microsoft took an average first-person shooter with excellent multiplayer, and they made sure it supported Live." Halo 1 didn't support Live. Halo 2 did. I used common sense to assume you mean't Halo 2 because I'm giving you the reasonable doubt that you are an itelligent person who would know this, but then you say it was the first to the market?

If I'm not mistaken, there was other FPSs before Halo 1 was released. So how was it the first to the market? Unless you mean just on the Xbox. Though you explain none of this. You expect all readers of your post to be able to read your thoughts to know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Then I have misspoken, and I apologize. I was unaware that Halo 1 did not support Live. I was talking about it in my first post. I thought that I just only seen the LAN multi aspect of Halo. I have neither a copy of either game nor an X-Box myself. And I did mean first to market on the X-Box. By being first it's the stick by which all other FPS for the X-Box are measured.

I have, however, played through it, and I think the rest of my points are pretty valid.

[quote name='zewone']Metal Gear Solid 3 is better than 2. Metal Gear Solid 1 is better than 2. Metal Gear Solid for the GBA is better than 2. Metal Gear Ac!d is better than 2. :D All true.[/QUOTE]

3 is close, but no way 1 or Ghost Babel comes close to being better. 1 has such a straight forward story and is way too short, and while Ghost Babel is ok, I have yet to get into it from what all I have played (on chapter 3)

The original Splinter Cell was hyped as all getout, and when it arrived just seemed lame. MGS 2 is another one that did me no good, but at least it attempted an original/decent story to place the spy (hero? depending which side I suppose) in.

Halo 2 and the latter GTA's are obvious choices, roughly the same complaints as every1 else had with them.

Other than that, I feel ashamed to admit it, but Fable makes my list. Nugget porn lasts longer than that game. What's the point in creating an awesome world, with rich history and characters, if it ends as soon as it begins. Though the coin golf in Oakvale Tavern was far more entertaining than anything EA's thrown together since Mutant League.

[quote name='BLarR']Other than that, I feel ashamed to admit it, but Fable makes my list. Nugget porn lasts longer than that game. What's the point in creating an awesome world, with rich history and characters, if it ends as soon as it begins. Though the coin golf in Oakvale Tavern was far more entertaining than anything EA's thrown together since Mutant League.[/QUOTE]

I just don't get it. You'll gladly pay $8 for 2 hours of entertainment at the movies.

$8 x 6 = $48 = roughly the cost of Fable at launch.
2hours x 6 = 12hours of entertainment, roughly Fable's length.

Does my math not add up? You admit this game has an "awesome world, with rich history and characters", but you simply think it was "THE MOST OVERRATED GAME OF ALL TIME" because it lasted ONLY as long as the price of admission?

I would much rather play a FANTASTIC game for 10-12 hours than some mediocre POS for 50. But that's me.

I just don't get it.

bread's done
Back