Most RARE Gamecube games RIGHT NOW?

[quote name='vincewy']

There're actually quite a few games that WILL BE RARE and not very popular, this list can be VERY LONG, one thing we can all agree on, many Gamecube games will be much harder to find than their PS2/XBOX counterparts (even if they get published on other systems too), god forbid if you're looking for new/sealed copy.[/QUOTE]

Aquaman has been clearanced at various Fred Meyer stores for the last 2 years. I've just never seen it anywhere else. I'd buy it for $3 simply because it is supposedly one of the worst games ever made (but if you know anything about Fred Meyer clearances it means they reduced it from $20 to $18 - they had Ikaruga for ages at $40, finally clearanced it at $36 and I held off - then one weekend recently they had 50% off clearance items and I couldn't find it :whistle2:().

Tell me about it (the new/sealed). I've been trying to get I-Ninja, Beyond Good & Evil, and PoP:SoT new/sealed for GC for a while. I got the PS2 versions of the first two for $2 or $3 and PoP GH copies are everywhere. My point is also that I'm trying to get them all CHEAP. Fry's may very well have PoP:SoT for $20 (I didn't look for it when I was there) - not cheap enough for me :D. GR has the GC version of PoP 50% off now, but no one has been able to find me a copy to trade for the tons of PS2/Xbox games I can get at GR.

Anyone play Chaos Field? Looked interesting since I really like shooters, but can't find a decent review on it. I don't want it just for the rarity, but if it's actually worth playing for $20 I'd get it.

[quote name='GunstarRed']Anyone play Chaos Field? Looked interesting since I really like shooters, but can't find a decent review on it. I don't want it just for the rarity, but if it's actually worth playing for $20 I'd get it.[/QUOTE]

Go to gamerankings.com and do a search for it.

I just wanted to crow that I managed to find a used copy of Beyond Good & Evil yesterday for $9.99 Canadian. I'm very happy... but now I'm quite curious about this god-awful Aquaman game.

[quote name='zyblorg']I just wanted to crow that I managed to find a used copy of Beyond Good & Evil yesterday for $9.99 Canadian. I'm very happy... but now I'm quite curious about this god-awful Aquaman game.[/QUOTE]

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/cube/aquamanbattleforatlantis

It is the second-to-last rated game on metacritic (with Charlie's Angels being dead last - hey, there's another game I've never seen in a store!).

That puts it as the 467th best game on the Gamecube :D

Shrek Extra Large (of which I am the proud owner of a mint sealed copy) is 454th by the way.

Here's the bottom of the metacritic list, showing all games with an average below 40:

455 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 39
456 Disney's Party 2003 39
457 Monsters, Inc. Scream Arena 2002 39
458 Universal Studios Theme Parks Adventure 2001 39
459 Disney Sports: Basketball 2003 37
460 Sum of All Fears, The 2003 36
461 Disney Sports: Skateboarding 2002 36
462 Jeremy McGrath Supercross World 2002 36
463 Shrek Extra Large 2002 36
464 Bad Boys II: Miami Takedown 2004 35
465 BeyBlade: Super Tournament Battle 2003 33
466 Batman: Dark Tomorrow 2003 29
467 Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis 2003 27
468 Charlie's Angels 2003 23

Trying to acquire all of those would actually be a challenge and might be something I do some day just for fun (dirt cheap of course).

Compare that list to the top 14: :rofl:

1 Metroid Prime 2002 97
2 Resident Evil 4 2005 96
3 Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2003 96
4 Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition, The 2003 94
5 Madden NFL 2004 2003 94
6 Soul Calibur II 2003 93
7 Viewtiful Joe 2003 93
8 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 2002 92
9 SSX 3 2003 92
10 Madden NFL 2003 2002 92
11 Super Smash Bros. Melee 2001 92
12 Super Mario Sunshine 2002 92
13 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 2003 92
14 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 2004 92

Rare GameCube games? I would probably say, good ones. Aw, I'm only kidding.

Why the hell is Bust a Move 3000 rare? That game should be standard issue in every household in America.

A couple of hard to find racers:

Lotus Challenge - A port of Motor Trend Lotus Challenge on Xbox. I've seen three copies total in the wild in three years, including the one I got on clearance at a Sam Goody for $4 last month.
Rally Championship - Not to be confused with the easier to find, but still slightly uncommon Pro Rally. I got my copy at an EB last year, and I only recall seeing it about four times.

Best thing about those 2 lists... of the horrible games EVERY single one is based off a license. Out of the best games, the only licensed game is Madden.

[quote name='io']http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/cube/aquamanbattleforatlantis

It is the second-to-last rated game on metacritic (with Charlie's Angels being dead last - hey, there's another game I've never seen in a store!).

That puts it as the 467th best game on the Gamecube :D

Shrek Extra Large (of which I am the proud owner of a mint sealed copy) is 454th by the way.

Here's the bottom of the metacritic list, showing all games with an average below 40:

455 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 39
456 Disney's Party 2003 39
457 Monsters, Inc. Scream Arena 2002 39
458 Universal Studios Theme Parks Adventure 2001 39
459 Disney Sports: Basketball 2003 37
460 Sum of All Fears, The 2003 36
461 Disney Sports: Skateboarding 2002 36
462 Jeremy McGrath Supercross World 2002 36
463 Shrek Extra Large 2002 36
464 Bad Boys II: Miami Takedown 2004 35
465 BeyBlade: Super Tournament Battle 2003 33
466 Batman: Dark Tomorrow 2003 29
467 Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis 2003 27
468 Charlie's Angels 2003 23

Trying to acquire all of those would actually be a challenge and might be something I do some day just for fun (dirt cheap of course).

Compare that list to the top 14: :rofl:

1 Metroid Prime 2002 97
2 Resident Evil 4 2005 96
3 Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2003 96
4 Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition, The 2003 94
5 Madden NFL 2004 2003 94
6 Soul Calibur II 2003 93
7 Viewtiful Joe 2003 93
8 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 2002 92
9 SSX 3 2003 92
10 Madden NFL 2003 2002 92
11 Super Smash Bros. Melee 2001 92
12 Super Mario Sunshine 2002 92
13 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 2003 92
14 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 2004 92[/quote]

Just wanted to add that from the top 14 games in the metacritic list, there is only one from the past 2 years: RE4. Real sad.

[quote name='raimar']Just wanted to add that from the top 14 games in the metacritic list, there is only one from the past 2 years: RE4. Real sad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but some of that is just due to older games getting great reviews because the Gamecube was all new and shiny. I mean are SSX 3 or Madden 2003 :D any better than Fire Emblem of Super Mario Strikers or Chibi Robo. Hell no, in my opinion.

(and by the way, Fire Emblem comes in at 59 on the list, Mario Strikers at 167, and Chibi Robo at 207 !!)

Of course these are just averages of reviews and thus we all probably have our own list of greatest GC games. But I would put a TON from the last 2 years in my top 14.

My favorite GC game of all is probably Rogue Squadron II and even that comes in at a lowly 21 (yes I know that is very old). In terms of recent games, the top rated (besides RE4 and MP2) are Pikmin 2 (at 23), NBA St vol 3 (at 37), Mario Kart DD (at 45, yet easily one of my top 10), and Paper Mario (at 46, but top 5 in my list).

But really, anything ranked 65 and above represents scores of 85+, so they have all gotten excellent reviews. I just listed the top 14 to contrast with the bottom 14, which truly are separated from the pack :D. Probably you should compare those top 65 to the bottom 14 - and actually it shows the GC has a wealth of excellent titles vs very bad ones (unlike the PS2 which probably has a greater percentage of bad ones - I'll have to look into that).

Just for fun (and at the risk of getting seriously off topic), here's the bottom 14 for PS2:

1210 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 35
1211 Jeremy McGrath Supercross World 2001 35
1212 Fugitive Hunter 2003 35
1213 International Golf Pro 2004 35
1214 McFarlane's Evil Prophecy 2004 34
1215 Mike Tyson Heavyweight Boxing 2002 33
1216 Frogger: The Great Quest 2001 32
1217 MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch 2003 32
1218 Antz Extreme Racing 2002 31
1219 Transformers Tataki 2003 31
1220 GoDai: Elemental Force 2002 27
1221 Miami Vice 2004 27
1222 Knight Rider 2 2004 26
1223 Gravity Games Bike: Street. Vert. Dirt 2002 24

Bottom 14 for Xbox:

773 Chicago Enforcer 2005 33
774 Shrek Super Party 2002 33
775 Bruce Lee: Quest Of The Dragon 2002 32
776 Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green 2005 32
777 Kabuki Warriors 2001 32
778 Trigger Man 2004 31
779 Robocop 2003 30
780 Crime Life: Gang Wars 2005 30
781 Sneakers 2002 28
782 Stake: Fortune Fighters 2003 26
783 Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis 2003 26
784 Batman: Dark Tomorrow 2003 25
785 Pulse Racer 2002 24
786 Drake 2003 22

COOL! I'm the proud owner of the VERY WORST Xbox game there is! Sweet! Also, note that Shrek Super Party is near the bottom and that's a game that I just saw sell new for $60 on eBay. So some BAD games are rare AND valuable. It is possible to be all three at once!

Here's the GBA list:

509 Defender 2002 37
510 Mighty Beanz Pocket Puzzles 2004 37
511 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 36
512 Ozzy & Drix 2003 36
513 Sitting Ducks 2004 35
514 Street Jam Basketball 2004 35
515 David Beckham Soccer 2002 34
516 Yu Yu Hakusho: Spirit Detective 2003 33
517 Van Helsing 2004 33
518 Mortal Kombat Advance 2001 32
519 Fear Factor: Unleashed 2004 30
520 Shrek Swamp Kart Speedway 2002 27
521 Mucha Lucha! Mascaritas of the Lost Code 2003 26
522 Legends of Wrestling II 2002 24

I bought a copy of that Yu Yu Spirit Detective game at CC for $1.96 the other day as I thought it might be good trade-in fodder at GR. I was wrong so I returned it. Good thing I guess!

I'm also surprised at how many more games there are for the Xbox than the GBA - I would have thought the GBA would have all but the PS2 beat in sheer quantity, but it really isn't too far off the Gamecube number (468).

There are Miami Vice and Knight Rider games for the PS2???

I must have these!:D

and what is Transformers Tataki? I have the Transformers game and its not that bad.

I recently bought a used gamecube and started looking for the best used games under $20, IMHO, for the system (I used gamerankings as a guideline). I got the following:

eternal darkness: sanity's requiem
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Animal Crossing
Resident Evil 0
Pikmin
metroid prime
resident evil 4
legend of zelda: the wind walker
Tales of Symphonia
Star Fox Adventures
Baten Kaitos
Resident Evil
Killer7
Metroid prime 2: echoes
Beyond Good and Evil

All of them were very easy to find with the exception of Beyond Good and Evil, Pikmin and Eternal Darkness. They took me a little bit longer. I plan to get the following when/if they drop to 20 or less

Paper Mario: The thousand year door
Legend of zelda collector's edition
Legend of zelda: ocarina of time/master quest
Pikmin 2
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Battalion Wars

[quote name='raimar']I recently bought a used gamecube and started looking for the best used games under $20, IMHO, for the system (I used gamerankings as a guideline). [/quote]

Excellent choices (though I'm not into that whole RE thing). I would add Super Mario Sunshine and Rogue Leader. Personally I think Rogue Leader is the best game this gen across all platforms, and it was a GC launch title I believe.

As for Super Mario Sunshine, people like to put it down in comparison with Mario 64. I had never played Mario 64 prior to SMS except for in emulation on my PC right before I decided to buy my GC (the emulator is what helped me make the decision to buy a GC and now 40-50 games or so - so take that you anti-piracy nuts who count every download as $X of lost money). Since then I've played it on the DS as well. I'd have to say, hands down, Super Mario Sunshine is superior in every way. I think alot of the people who like 64 but rag on SMS just do that because 64 is part of their dear childhood or something :roll:.

Definitely pick up Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. I would imagine Paper Mario would go PC pretty soon. I have yet to play Batallion Wars myself (got it when it first came out, just no time). Also pick up Chibi-Robo when it gets cheap. It is much better than the reviews would suggest. In particular, if you find you like Pikmin and Zelda then get Chibi-Robo - it can be described as a wierd hybrid of those two games.

Oh, and snag Viewtiful Joe (which can be found cheap now) and Mario Kart Double Dash (again, another game that people rag on which I feel is WAY better than any previous Mario Kart game).

Cubivore is probably the most bizzare game i've ever played... ;O
it's fun in a weird way =p if you can find it for cheap, try it! =)

Now it's safe to add Odama to the rare game list, my store has 2 copies ($50 each) and I don't think more will be made, but both copies have the boxes dented, ouch!

I see piles of odama at every store i go to. Especially wal-marts. The game is pretty awful, too.

[quote name='jagwire1141']One night I got drunk and lost my copy of Jedi Knight 2 for the Gamecube. Needless to say, I no longer drink.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I did the Blockbuster "rent-to-own" to get this game. I really dislike the first level and haven't played through it yet. I know it gets better, but man, what a horrible start.

Anyway, if you are looking for this game the Blockbuster rental/keep option is about $25. Sure, I got a scratched up copy with no manual, but I had wanted to get this game for a while and I have only ever seen it once in an EB for $40 used.

My Blockbuster actually had 2 copies, which were never rented out, so I certainly didn't feel bad about it. Not that there's anything wrong with it - they clearly printed on the rental receipt "Keep this game after such and such date for $18 more". When I actually went back in to pay the difference they were confused as to how to do it though. I guess that most people don't actually TRY to use this option on games or movies.

Then I just found out recently it qualifies for a Pricegrabber $5 rebate. I just sent it in and they accepted it with my two receipts (one showing the rental, one showing a debit for $18 from my account without saying what it is for).

Also just wanted to mention that Prince of Persia Sands of Time is fetching $40-$50 on eBay right now (for new/sealed). It appears, in fact, to be a rare and valuable game after all, at least for new copies. I still have yet to see one in a store.

Digimon rumble arena 2 for the cube came out 2 years ago and its been selling between $50-60 on ebay. I don't know why, its not that great unless your a fan of digimon.

[quote name='raimar']I plan to get the following when/if they drop to 20 or less

Paper Mario: The thousand year door
Pikmin 2
[/quote]i believe these are under 20 already

In my opinion:

If you don't count exclusive cover variations, because that's another discussion, there are only TWO Rare US Gamecube releases.

Pokemon Box
NCAA Basketball 2K3

All of the other games mentioned in this thread aren't rare, or even hard to find. In fact, I'd say they can be found quite easily.

When you throw cover/insert variations into the mix, there are certainly others that would come to mind.

Peace,
Orri-

[quote name='io']I had never heard of Chaos Field before I saw it the other day at Fry's. Fry's is a great place to see obscure titles. I saw several GC games I didn't know existed, and 2-3 times as many PS2 titles I didn't know about.

Here's another one for you: King Arthur. That game came out and quickly flat out disappeared. There is one copy at my Fry's, and I haven't seen it anywhere else since it first came out, on any system, but especially Gamecube. But of course those multi-platform titles aren't quite the same.

Here's another that you wouldn't think is rare but I can't find a copy at any B&M, and I only see 2 completed auctions for it on ebay (there are more for Chaos Field): Prince of Persia Sands of Time.

And I agree with whoever mentioned Shrek Super Party. That is pretty rare on all systems. I actually bought a used PS2 one from GR and sold it on ebay about a year ago. Played it for a few minutes to test - it's like a poor man's Mario Party, but it could be a bit of fun if found cheap, which it can't :D. Wow, just did a quick eBay check - the GC version is actually the easiest/cheapest to get - about $30 new. Only one new Xbox copy sold recently - for $60, and no new PS2 copies have been listed recently (but a used at $31 did not sell).

I got a copy of Shrek Extra Large at the TRU clearance about a year ago for $3 to use as trade-in fodder at GR. I didn't trade it in because I thought the kids might like it. Then I read the reviews :roll: - but I decided to keep it anyway just for kicks. It isn't as rare as Shrek Super Party, but it can go up in my display of the worst games of all time next to that copy of Drake for Xbox. I also picked up Eternal Darkness at the same time - I had no interest in it and just got it for trade-in fodder. For whatever reason I held on to it and I'm glad I did. I'll play it some day.

Here's a list of *obscure* GC games - I haven't researched whether any of these are rare or not. These are just ones I haven't seen recently or EVER in some cases:

* Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis (also a candidate for the wall o' shame)
* Asterix & Obelix XXL (European only release?)
* Bad Boys II: Miami Takedown (PS2 version was great EB trade-in fodder last summer - never seen a GC one!)
* Bonk's Adventure (??)
* Butt-Ugly Martians: Zoom or Doom! (PS2 version common and cheap, didn't know there was a GC one)
* Casper: Spirit Dimensions (??)
* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (like King Arthur, disappeared fast - haven't seen GC one for a while now)
* City Racer (??)
* Conan (another Europe only game?)
* Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure (a very good game that I ordered online a year ago - never seen in store)
* Go! Go! Hypergrind (I bought this for $10 new at GS, but don't see it much any more)
* Gotcha Force
* Mary-Kate and Ashley Sweet 16: Licensed to Drive (have never seen - for wall o' shame as well)
* Muppets Party Cruise (only rare new - seen many used at EB/GS)
* Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (common as snot on the PS2, don't see GC one too much)
* Rave Master (at Fry's right now - only place I've ever seen it)
* Risk (there's a GC version of this? Who knew?)
* Ribbit King (used to be everywhere, not so much now)
* Robots (see King Arthur and Charlie Chocolate)
* Shox (??)
* Spirits & Spells
* Superman: Shadow of Apokolips
* Tarzan Untamed
* Taz
* Worms 3D and Worms Blast (I had no idea there were Worms games on the GC!)[/quote]

Had to comment on some of these, as there was some incorrect info...

* Asterix & Obelix XXL (European only release?) Not a US release; PAL only

* Bonk's Adventure (??) No US release for sure

* Butt-Ugly Martians: Zoom or Doom! (PS2 version common and cheap, didn't know there was a GC one) Not a US release; PAL only

* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Check the $9.99 endcap at any Target in the game section - you'll see them there

* Conan (another Europe only game?) No US release for sure

* Risk (there's a GC version of this? Who knew?) No US release for sure

* Robots (see King Arthur and Charlie Chocolate) Can be found for $3.96 at any Circuit City that still has them - want one?

* Shox (??) No US release for sure

* Tarzan Untamed Try EB Games - saw one brand new yesterday

* Taz Try EB Games - saw one brand new yesterday

If you have any questions, let me know.

Peace,
Orri-

[quote name='M3wThr33']Disney Sports Football, Hockey and Basketball, mainly Basketball[/quote]

There is no Disney Sports Hockey.

Here are the Disney Sports releases in order of difficulty to obtain:

Basketball
Football
Soccer
Skateboarding

Peace,
Orri-

^^^^ Well, that list (from like 2 months ago by the way :rofl:) I just pulled off of Metacritic. They didn't specify US release or not - note how I put "Europe only?" in my post on many of them. Still that makes them pretty damn rare in the U.S., no?

Anyway, like I also said in that post, I didn't claim any of these were rare and valuable, just that I hadn't seen many (if any) around. And I do ALOT of game buying. Robots I picked up during TRU Buy 2 Get 1 free a while back and haven't seen it since. Maybe YOU have a CC where it is sitting there in piles, but I have visited at least 15 different CC's in 5 different states over the past few months and haven't seen one. Very YMMV on that. As for Taz and Tarzan, I know I had seen those in the past, and I'm sure they are bargain fodder at EB, etc, I just haven't seen one.

It seems you have a very narrow definition of 'rare' if you only list Pokemon Box and NCAA 2k3. I was trying to list some others that you can actually find at retail (new) that might possibly be rare now or in the future. No one is going to find those 2 games sitting on a shelf anywhere for normal price.

I did find a new sealed copy of Shrek Super Party at an out of the way GR a few weeks ago. I was unable to find any Prince of Persia though!

[quote name='io']^^^^ Well, that list (from like 2 months ago by the way :rofl:) I just pulled off of Metacritic. They didn't specify US release or not - note how I put "Europe only?" in my post on many of them. Still that makes them pretty damn rare in the U.S., no?

Anyway, like I also said in that post, I didn't claim any of these were rare and valuable, just that I hadn't seen many (if any) around. And I do ALOT of game buying. Robots I picked up during TRU Buy 2 Get 1 free a while back and haven't seen it since. Maybe YOU have a CC where it is sitting there in piles, but I have visited at least 15 different CC's in 5 different states over the past few months and haven't seen one. Very YMMV on that. As for Taz and Tarzan, I know I had seen those in the past, and I'm sure they are bargain fodder at EB, etc, I just haven't seen one.

It seems you have a very narrow definition of 'rare' if you only list Pokemon Box and NCAA 2k3. I was trying to list some others that you can actually find at retail (new) that might possibly be rare now or in the future. No one is going to find those 2 games sitting on a shelf anywhere for normal price.

I did find a new sealed copy of Shrek Super Party at an out of the way GR a few weeks ago. I was unable to find any Prince of Persia though![/quote]

Dude,

Don't be so sensitive. I didn't say your list was crap or something.

I only confirmed what titles were US releases and which ones weren't. After all, when you see "???", that usually means "I'm not sure about this one."

I felt that since you were unsure about many of the titles, I'd clear it up.

Any discussion on whether a PAL game is hard to find in the US is irrelevant, since we're talking about US releases only.

Also, just because YOU cannot find a title at a local store doesn't make it rare (or even hard to find for that matter.)

The definition of rare isn't limited to NEW games only, nor games that you can find at retail.

Rare means just that - RARE. There is basically one way that a game can be considered rare - low or limited production.

This is the reason that Pokemon Box and NCAA Basketball 2K3 are rare by modern standards.

Pokemon Box is not only exclusive, but it was limited from a production standpoint.

NCAA Basketball 2K3 is part of a small production run by SEGA when they received notification from Nintendo that they would not carry the Sega Sports titles anymore.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, certainly.

However, just because you can't find it locally (no matter how much shopping you do) doesn't make it rare.

There isn't a single title that hasn't been on eBay this year - not one. (I should know - I monitor the auctions.) That means that any title is available - new or used.

As far as the titles that I mentioned that are available at some of my local stores, I only pointed that out to let you know that they are, in fact, still available new at retail (and where to check for them.)

Anyway, good luck with your searches.

Peace,
Orri-

The only thing that bugged me about your post was the attitude the seemed to say "such and such game is available at your local CC - just walk in there and get it dumbass". That is certainly NOT the case on those clearance games - they are very YMMV and hard to find at any given store. People would do that all the time in threads about Phoenix Wright - "oh, there's piles of them at GR, just get it there!" when in fact that might be true in their little world, but most other places not so much (and ebay proved the point with auctions being $60+ at one point).

Besides the 2 that you mentioned no GC games are SUPER-DUPER-OMG rare. Though I challenge you to find an Ikaruga sitting at retail (and as recently as 4 months ago or so I could have bought one at retail but didn't - doh!).

Meh, whatever. This thread was dead anyway...

[quote name='io']The only thing that bugged me about your post was the attitude the seemed to say "such and such game is available at your local CC - just walk in there and get it dumbass". That is certainly NOT the case on those clearance games - they are very YMMV and hard to find at any given store. People would do that all the time in threads about Phoenix Wright - "oh, there's piles of them at GR, just get it there!" when in fact that might be true in their little world, but most other places not so much (and ebay proved the point with auctions being $60+ at one point).

Besides the 2 that you mentioned no GC games are SUPER-DUPER-OMG rare. Though I challenge you to find an Ikaruga sitting at retail (and as recently as 4 months ago or so I could have bought one at retail but didn't - doh!).

Meh, whatever. This thread was dead anyway...[/quote]

I still don't understand why you are equating rare with being able to find something at retail.

The two are mutually exclusive, though by the nature of it's definition, you shouldn't be able to find a rare game at retail anyway.

I can't find NES games at retail anymore, but does that make them rare?

Of course not.

You need to distinguish the difference between a truly rare game, and those that are hard to locate new at retail.

Seriously, were you really expecting to find a game that was released in 2002 still at retail (Player's Choice re-releases aside)?

Ikaruga is a great game, but there is NO reason that you should expect to find it at retail. However, if you wanted it, I promise you that you could find one on the net any day of the week.

Games go through a natural progression at retail - except first party releases (Nintendo releases.) They are released, they go down in price as the supply is no longer refreshed from the distributor, and finally they're gone.

Circuit City has this down to a science. I picked up the Urbz, and MVP Baseball for GCN yesterday for $3.96 each. Last month, both titles were at least $10.

Again, my point is simply, rare is a universal constant. If it is rare today, it will be even more rare in the future; for various reasons, the supply will inevitibly decrease (loss, damage, etc.)

However, a hard to locate game (in your world) may or may not become a rare game in the future. Distribution of games in the US are done region to region. What may be hard to find in Utah may be easy to locate in Texas. That doesn't make the game rare at all.

Like you said, the thread is dead. However, you should still make the differentiation - it will only help you down the road.

Good luck.

Orri-

[quote name='Puffa469']not to stir the pot. But I saw Ikaruga brand new for $20 in two different stores yesterday, an EB, and a GS. :D[/QUOTE]

You ought to buy it then!

[quote name='io']You ought to buy it then![/quote]

Yeah, what are you waiting for?? If they are brand new, you can flip them on ebay for $50 each, easy. Or you can send them to me and I'll make the profits for you :D

You can add Beyond Good & Evil and Burnout 2 to that list. Both games received a smaller production on the GC.

Also, I'm not sure if this is rare or not but Rave Master received a small run on the GC.

[quote name='io']You ought to buy it then![/quote]

I didnt realize that they were going for soo much on Ebay.

I'll stop by the store again today and see if theyre still there!

The Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc is also fairly hard to find (unless you buy it off ebay). I sold a factory sealed copy of F1 2002 for $100 on amazon a couple months back. Rally Championship is pretty difficult to find. Also, regarding MC Groovz, I haven't seen the bundles that include the game at Gamestop in months. Also, I've visited about 20 Gamestops/EBs in the last week and saw just one copy (used) of Zatch Bell. I saw 1 of Ikaruga, 2 Digimon World 2 Rumble, 0 NCAA Basketball 2k3, 0 Bust a Move 3000, and 0 Disney Sports titles.

[quote name='chosen1s']People keep mentioning production runs.

Where do you go to find the production runs for games?[/QUOTE]

I, also, am interested in knowing this.

holy crap i own Pokemon Box Mint never opened, Ikaruga, Mario DDR, Cubivore, Star Wars JediKnight Outcast, and even Bust A Move 3000!!!!!!

im rich bitch!!!!

Really, Beyond Good and Evil is not that hard to find. I picked one up $13 used which is the price at any GameStop or EB Games.

I got Burnout 2 when it came out. It is an awesome game and I prefer it to the more recent versions. Haven't seen it around anywhere lately.

Eternal Darkness wasn't that hard of a game to find either. Seriously, IGN wanted people to buy the game when they offered it for $14.99 new a few years back. No one bought it then and everyone wants it know.

Same thing with Ikaruga when I saw it at GameStop for $20 a couple of months after it had been released. I should have bought it then! :cry:

I can basically find almost any GameCube game at Fry's Electronics. They have an amazing selection, except for the really really hard games to find in the previous post ;)

I may try that rent then buy thing at Blockbuster. They have a copy of Jedi Knight that never gets rented.

Here is a game that I have not seen in a long while: Batman Vengence.

That is all!

[quote name='Orrimarrko']I still don't understand why you are equating rare with being able to find something at retail.

The two are mutually exclusive, though by the nature of it's definition, you shouldn't be able to find a rare game at retail anyway.

I can't find NES games at retail anymore, but does that make them rare?

Of course not.

You need to distinguish the difference between a truly rare game, and those that are hard to locate new at retail.

Seriously, were you really expecting to find a game that was released in 2002 still at retail (Player's Choice re-releases aside)?

Ikaruga is a great game, but there is NO reason that you should expect to find it at retail. However, if you wanted it, I promise you that you could find one on the net any day of the week.

Orri-[/quote]

That is kind of twisted logic. You kind of have to define rare through the retail segment. You can find ANYTHING on the internet. So is nothing rare now? You go on ebay and even the rarest of games you can find in a large (most of the time) quantity. That doesn't make them not rare.

[quote name='javeryh']I've got Ikaruga AND Twin Snakes and I'm very tempted to eBay them...[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Ikaruga will keep going down. It was going for $60+ before the release on XBL but dropped sharply after that. I'm selling a copy of TTS right now. I figure now's the best time.

Also, anybody why DDR Mario Mix dropped so much? I see it at almost every GS now too... it used to go for $100 for a complete copy (the boxed one with the pad) but now they're going for $60 or so.

Wow... an old thread brought up again but good timing esp. to bring up that "Chaos Field" did not go up in price and $7.99 used in 2008.

Anyway, I think as of right now, since a lot of us are currently using this GameCube coupon. I think the ones that are not rare but hard-to-find or just too expensive (and also to add that they have received favorable reviews as opposed to rare games that have received terrible reviews):

Pikmin 2
Metal Gear Twin Snakes
Ikaragua
DDR Mario
Legend of Zelda Collectors
Mario Power Tennis

I have my eyes at "Cubivore" and "Gotcha Force" right now to see how prices increase with those two games.

Futurama is pretty rare, heck its not even listed on gamestop. Gotcha Force I swear was 10 bucks 2 weeks ago at gamestop.

[quote name='ets']Futurama is pretty rare, heck its not even listed on gamestop. Gotcha Force I swear was 10 bucks 2 weeks ago at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Futurama was only released on PS2 and Xbox. I was playing my PS2 copy just the other day. It is too bad it sucks so damn much :cry:...

bread's done
Back