Most underrated video game of all time?

I think Mega Man 6 is the most underrated game of all time. It's a solid Mega Man game. It has interesting and useful Rush power-ups, the best NES Mega Man graphics, memorable music, exciting stages, and fun boss battles. It suffered the fate of being the last Mega Man game on the NES so much so that Capcom almost didn't release it in America. Nintendo published it for Capcom!

The UK never even got MM6, hell not sure if we got 5. Not a fan of either though, everything after 2 was just a downhill journey until the awesome MM9 came out.

Not sure if it counts as underrated or simply obscure but Mother 3 (aka the next Earthbound) was a fantastic GBA game and it's Japan only release is a sin. It's also a huge shame that Ganbare Goemon 2 (the second Mystical Ninja on the SNES) was Japan only as it's amazingly good (unlike the first one) and after the first one came out on the Wii's VC I did have my fingers crossed for it.

Talking about Mystical Ninja sequels the second N64 has to be one of the most underrated games of all time, seriously it's just crazy how much love that game doesn't get.

Oh and Contra 4. It was such a fantastic revival, and then Konami do Contra Rebirth as if Contra 4 didn't revive the series, not to mention that it STILL isn't out in the UK. Contra 4 is by far my favourite Contra game, even knocking the first one of the pedestal it's been on in my heart for so long.

For me, despite it's average review scores I thought Ring of Red for the PS2 was one of the best strategy RPG's I've ever played. I loved it, and was very disappointed when the game ended. I wanted more! It was one of those games that felt like someone made just for me.

Tecmo's Deception

Extremely twisted game, with one of the most unique content warnings I've seen on a video game case: "WARNING: This game contains satanic references and may be inappropriate for some individuals."

I wish they would make a new Deception game for the current gen systems. If not a new game, I would love a remake of the original with updated graphics on 360.

[quote name='venturin']For me, despite it's average review scores I thought Ring of Red for the PS2 was one of the best strategy RPG's I've ever played. I loved it, and was very disappointed when the game ended. I wanted more! It was one of those games that felt like someone made just for me.[/QUOTE]

I regret selling Ring of Red off to GS after my ps2 phat hit the bucket in order to get enough credit for the slim (only to have a better slim come out later with no power brick - also should have given up ATV ).

It was one of my first games on my PS2 (blue discs: I remember those)

[quote name='Rodimus']I actually like all three games, but my point isn't just limited to those three. I was just using them as an example to say they are often mentioned in these type of threads. I feel they get enough appreciation already, maybe more than they should.[/QUOTE]

Right...and I was just disagreeing. I will concede Ico as an overrated game when it finally gets its full day in the sun. Right now, it simply gets praises from a small section of enthusiasts. Same with Beyond Good and Evil and others.

As for other underrated games, I'd add Beetle Adventure Racing (N64). I rarely hear it talked about, but for me it was one of the best racers of that console generation.

[quote name='icp_00_111']Duck Tales games for the NES

edit: and Tecmo's Deception, forgot about it until I read the post above me. lol[/QUOTE]

How the hell is Duck Tales underrated? Everyone who had a NES knows it's a great game.

[quote name='venturin']For me, despite it's average review scores I thought Ring of Red for the PS2 was one of the best strategy RPG's I've ever played. I loved it, and was very disappointed when the game ended. I wanted more! It was one of those games that felt like someone made just for me.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I was going to mention it but I talk about that game all the time and I think by now people know I love it. What a great concept, great characters, and fun battles. I love the heart beats as your sights hone in on the other mech, the strategy elements with the troops, or just charging in and going mono-a-mono with the other robots.

In recent memory I'd say Muramasa for Wii deserved a lot more attention/praise. I picked it up for cheap and with plenty of skepticism, but was pretty taken aback about how kickass of a time I had with it.

[quote name='GetLives']Psychonauts.[/QUOTE]
Everyone likes psychonauts! I've never played it and I liked it.(I watched someone play) :p

Another underrated game has got to be Psi Ops:The Mindgate Conspiracy. It's one of the few games I've beaten twice immediately following the first run. Imagine playing a shooter and having jedi powers and you get an idea of the gameplay. :D

KKND (Krush Kill n Destroy) 1&2 on PC. Awesome RTS, replaced the original C&C for me and my brother's LAN wars.

Baten Kaitos / Baiten Kaitos Origins on GC. Two of the most unique and fun RPG battle systems I've ever played, fantastic art style and story.

I agree with Illusion of Gaia (and its sorta sequel Terranigma) and Suikoden.

A game I'm hoping is underrated is Star Ocean 4, because the first three were so darn good.

[quote name='dannyox718']I loved Legends of the Dragoon. To this day, I am puzzled why a sequel never came out for it.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it sold very well, even though everyone I've ever talked to loves the game, myself included. A sequel would be very awesome.

Saints Row 1 is one of the greatest games of all time. When taken in the context of when it was released (pre-GTA IV) it was truly amazing.

[quote name='Illustr8r']Crazy Climber.[/QUOTE]

There is a Wii Crazy Climber, but only in the Japan market, not NA. Too bad, because it looks reminiscent of the original and might work well with motion controls (unlike many games).

Not an all time most underrated, but one from this generation: Tom Clancy's EndWar. Very fun game and one of the more unique RTS that I have ever played. It works well with or without the voice control and has decent co-op.

[quote name='dannyox718']I loved Legends of the Dragoon. To this day, I am puzzled why a sequel never came out for it.[/QUOTE]

Ya, same here.

The combat system wasn't just turn based, but you gotta time the Squares right.

Expansions
F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Metacritic 75%) Although they may have butchered the story I thought the weapons were better, (Mini-turrents, and Proxy Mines FTW) and the merc's were way more challenging than anything in the original and fighting the super power armor was fun.

Painkiller Overdose (Metacritic 65%) Good graphics, varied environments and interesting enemies.... Where it failed to be "scary" it excelled at being a solid shooter with solid mechanics.

For a main game... Heavenly Sword... although short at least they tried new things (using the sixaxis for "aftertouch" was fun) and the light/heavy combat attacks were entertaining... yes it is short, but the animations and combat moves were very polished and unlike any game ive ever played (it's no God of War mind you, but I liked the combat system better than DMC)

[quote name='camoor']I completely agree. I was going to mention it but I talk about that game all the time and I think by now people know I love it. What a great concept, great characters, and fun battles. I love the heart beats as your sights hone in on the other mech, the strategy elements with the troops, or just charging in and going mono-a-mono with the other robots.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I actually ordered that game once(I love Futatsugi's work) and it turned out to be the only time I was ever ripped off when buying a game on Ebay. Perhaps I'll try to find it again sometime.

Starflight for the Sega Genesis for sure. You're dropped into a huge universe to explore as you see fit, with multiple races to encounter with unique traits, and a deep mystery that is only revealed after much exploration and discovery. Of course, in the age of FAQs its charm is dulled as you can just run through the game like a big cheater... but if you play it the way it was meant to be played, you'll be hard pressed to find a better experience.

To a lesser degree Star Control II on the 3D0, which has arguably a better scripted plot and better combat than Starflight, but is much less "underrated" (many people acknowledge this one as one of the greats).

Both of the above were originally for PC. I like the Genesis port of Starflight more due to the improved interface, graphics and sound. However, the best way to to Star Control II anymore is just to play the free PC version "The Ur Quan Masters" which has all of the best elements of the PC and 3D0 versions (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php)

I'd also like to second Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb for the original Xbox. That was one great game and it really captured the feel of Indy's fighting style and exploration.

bread's done
Back