MOTHER of all gaming collections?!?!?!

levi333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (99%)
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/oddities/the-greatest-video-game-collection-evar-160561.php

vgparadise2.jpg

That's actually bigger than TSD's and Secretvampire's collections combined... which is insane. I'm assuming that the owner of that collection is actually the most socially inept person ever.

[quote name='botticus']How.... do you get... anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Levitation...once you collect that many you get sweet fucking Levitation.

I can't remember who that collection belongs to. I remember seeing it somewhere in digital press's rooms of doom. These are the people who collect every game for a system. If anyone is wondering, that exercise bike is pretty rare. It has an nes or a snes built into it.

That right there is the reason I decided to tone down my collection. Where do you put all this stuff?

I got to this point...

and decided it was time to get rid of a lot of stuff I just wasn't going to play. It got to the point where it wasn't fun to try and collect everything, but I can certainly see how some people stick with it.

That's actually bigger than TSD's and Secretvampire's collections combined... which is insane. I'm assuming that the owner of that collection is actually the most socially inept person ever.
My collection isn't even that big compared to a lot of collections I've seen on DigitPress. However, I don't feel the need to collect games on old systems just for the sake of having them either. I have no desire to have stacks of hundreds and hundreds of loose NES and 2600 games that sucked ASS just to collect them.

Not to mention, I would cry myself to sleep at night if I had to look at the hundreds of horrible PSX games that were released sitting on my shelf. Seriously, for almost every gaming platform ever, like 70% of the total released games are complete shit. Some platforms had closer to a 90% shit ratio.

[quote name='secretvampire']My collection isn't even that big compared to a lot of collections I've seen on DigitPress. However, I don't feel the need to collect games on old systems just for the sake of having them either. I have no desire to have stacks of hundreds and hundreds of loose NES and 2600 games that sucked ASS just to collect them.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that. I'm just trying to collect some of the better game right now for each of my systems. I'm having have a hard time just finding space for tiny collection. Unfortunately, there aren't very many good game stores in my area. That makes getting some of the older stuff kind of hard.

I'm trying to follow Shou-sama's example but further, collecting LE's of Korean and Japanese PC games, not shitty stuff either, NOTABLE games. I'm also planning on picking up a Prototype M2 with D2 and coercing Kenji Eno to finish coding the 10% of the game that WASN'T finished.
I also would like to pick up a PC-FX with the typical dressings along with this game that has vending machines that ask you obscure Japanese Pop Culture questions. What else comes to mind? SGGG LE with T-Shirt and the first printing, BEFORE Sega had to change the Anti-Alcohol spokesperson they were making fun of.

[quote name='secretvampire']My collection isn't even that big compared to a lot of collections I've seen on DigitPress. However, I don't feel the need to collect games on old systems just for the sake of having them either. I have no desire to have stacks of hundreds and hundreds of loose NES and 2600 games that sucked ASS just to collect them.

Not to mention, I would cry myself to sleep at night if I had to look at the hundreds of horrible PSX games that were released sitting on my shelf. Seriously, for almost every gaming platform ever, like 70% of the total released games are complete shit. Some platforms had closer to a 90% shit ratio.[/QUOTE]

I just used your collection because it's pretty big and the picture collection never ceases to amaze who I show it to, not because I think it's ridiculous or anything like that. And yeah, I'm with you on the shit game ratio. Most people think I'm pessimistic when I say that most games are garbage.

They've got me beat. What amazes me is unless the kid in the picture is the guy's nephew or something, it proves he's probably married. With a game collection that big, that bitch must be heinous.

[quote name='Stuka']They've got me beat. What amazes me is unless the kid in the picture is the guy's nephew or something, it proves he's probably married. With a game collection that big, that bitch must be heinous.[/QUOTE]

Or she could be a gamer.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm trying to follow Shou-sama's example but further, collecting LE's of Korean and Japanese PC games, not shitty stuff either, NOTABLE games. I'm also planning on picking up a Prototype M2 with D2 and coercing Kenji Eno to finish coding the 10% of the game that WASN'T finished.
I also would like to pick up a PC-FX with the typical dressings along with this game that has vending machines that ask you obscure Japanese Pop Culture questions. What else comes to mind? SGGG LE with T-Shirt and the first printing, BEFORE Sega had to change the Anti-Alcohol spokesperson they were making fun of.[/QUOTE]

What in the goddamn hell are you talking about?

:(

[quote name='Strell']
What in the goddamn hell are you talking about?

:([/QUOTE]
:( for me as well.

Id like to see how big a mound of melted plastic that would leave if his house burned down.

I dont see his wife necessarily being into gaming. The guys clearly well off, so he mightve happened across someone who tolerates his gaming because...not ALL of his money goes toward the collection.

The only thing that guy has to worry about for his gaming collection are earthquakes because it would be a pain in the ass job to clean up that mess and sort out his games again.

[quote name='secretvampire'] Seriously, for almost every gaming platform ever, like 70% of the total released games are complete shit. Some platforms had closer to a 90% shit ratio.[/QUOTE]

id say its about 95% shit. just like the human population. and everything else in life.

I wonder...

1. What kind of rider does he have on his home owners insurance policy.

2. How he managed to collect it all. Has he been going since like 1980 or did he start 10 years ago and just scoured game stores and flea markets for a decade.

3. This is the start of a museum worthy collection. Since no such museum, that I'm aware of, exists video game collectors like this are almost de facto historians.

I have to say I'm disappointed by the thread. The way "Mother" was emphasized in the title I thought that my dream had come true and the Earthbound collection for the GBA was coming to the states. I now officially hate this guy and his kid.

The only thing I've seen to rival this is Game Informer's vault. Impressive that one guy apparently put this one together, and likely paid for everything.

He could very well be the owner of a used video game shop or shops. I used to collect records and the biggest and best collections always belonged to producers(surprise) and store owners.

Hot stuff usually shows up pretty quickly in stores after the release and in great condition, so it's easy for a shop owner to get first pick at so much stuff.

It's amazingly petty just how so many members of the Cheap Ass Gamer forums (this isn't fucking MENSA here) will turn on a guy just because he has been more successful than they at building a collection.

[quote name='lotsofcagers']Waah! Wahhh! All his games are crap. Wahh! He's got a fat, ugly wife!! Wahh! I bet he can't even get a woman! WAAAHHH!1!one!![/QUOTE]
Just for the record, not that I know him, but know someone who does, he is: Canadian; married; that is his kid; he has worked in the hobby for a number of years, which is how he managed to put together such an all-encompassing collection.

It's pretty sad that from one side of our mouths we bemoan the fact that Time magazine still refers to gamers as nerds, yet from the other we'll so quickly turn on one of our own as soon as they notch any kind of achievement.

Maybe he is a completist. Maybe he finds value in games that you cannot see. Maybe he has more disposable income than you and found a legal outlet that brings him pleasure. Maybe he sells heroin to busloads of retarded schoolchildren to fund his collection. I don't know for certain and neither do you. But to make such WILD leaps from looking at a picture of a collection to assuming you know ANYTHING about the man's personal life is beyond pathetic.

Sour grapes at their worst.

[quote name='Fanboy']I don't know for certain and neither do you. But to make such WILD leaps from looking at a picture of a collection to assuming you know ANYTHING about the man's personal life is beyond pathetic. [/quote]

but isn't that what internet message boards are for? :D

I don't think anybody really cares about his personal life, everybody (well like 3 people - Mookyjooky doesn't count) makes fun of him because it's easy and fun.

All I'll say about it is what I always say about huge collections - what a massive waste of time, energy, and money if he collected them just to have them. I hope he played all those or at least plans on selling them all to pay for his kid's college education or something, christ.

If he opened a museum that would be cool if he had consoles set up and you could play like any game ever (then it would be a business and not such a waste of space).

[quote name='SpazX'] what a massive waste of time, energy, and money if he collected them just to have them. [/QUOTE]

That's what collecting things is all about. Stamps, baseball cards, antique glass, etc - none of them can do anything besides just sit there. Video games happen to be playable entertainment, which is nice, but that probably isn't important to people who are collectors.

[quote name='hobocorpses']:( for me as well.

Id like to see how big a mound of melted plastic that would leave if his house burned down.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what kind of security measures he has in place in case of a fire or for burglary :lol:

[quote name='Backlash']That's what collecting things is all about. Stamps, baseball cards, antique glass, etc - none of them can do anything besides just sit there. Video games happen to be playable entertainment, which is nice, but that probably isn't important to people who are collectors.[/quote]

I know, so all of those would be massive wastes of time, money, and energy without even the qualifier "unless he played them all" since they actually inherently do absolutely nothing but sit there :p.

I might be coming off as a dick, but that's how I feel about collecting things in general, it seems like that money would be much better spent on something functional. If you have enough extra money that you can spend it on stuff that doesn't do anything more than just sit around collecting dust then why not donate it to a charity or something?

[quote name='SpazX']I know, so all of those would be massive wastes of time, money, and energy without even the qualifier "unless he played them all" since they actually inherently do absolutely nothing but sit there :p.

I might be coming off as a dick, but that's how I feel about collecting things in general, it seems like that money would be much better spent on something functional. If you have enough extra money that you can spend it on stuff that doesn't do anything more than just sit around collecting dust then why not donate it to a charity or something?[/QUOTE]

I mostly agree with you. But there are billions of collectors out there, and some of them collect the weirdest things.

[quote name='Backlash']That's what collecting things is all about. Stamps, baseball cards, antique glass, etc - none of them can do anything besides just sit there. Video games happen to be playable entertainment, which is nice, but that probably isn't important to people who are collectors.[/QUOTE]

Aye, but that is what sets them apart. It would be no different than collecting rare DVDs and never watching them. A stamp? What are you going to do with it aside from looking at it? Or antiques. Most of them have no use or have negated use (like a clothes wringer versus a dryer).

That all said, if the guy collects them, he collects them. I don't have a big collection comparatively speaking, but even mine is too large for me to play most of my games. Granted, the offset is that when I get older/when I have kids/etc, there will be more than enough time to enjoy them all.

I had to show this to my gf just to show her what obsessive collecting is versus my own, which at this point looks innocent and harmless.

Additionally, being the sort of person I am, when I buy a game, there's almost zero chance I'll ever get rid of it. I see people on here playing a game and then getting rid of it without issue, and I always think that's a bit strange. Oh well, not my collection of course.

[quote name='ananag112']I hate that kid...[/QUOTE]

You should pity him...."danny can I play a ga" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

[quote name='Strell'] Granted, the offset is that when I get older/when I have kids/etc, there will be more than enough time to enjoy them all.
[/QUOTE]

You just keep telling yourself that ;) I am starting to be ok with the fact that I have some games I will never play. Maybe I will trade them with CAGs one day.

[quote name='Backlash']You just keep telling yourself that ;) I am starting to be ok with the fact that I have some games I will never play. Maybe I will trade them with CAGs one day.[/QUOTE]

NOT IF I MAKE MY KIDS STEAL YOUR COLLECTION.

MAUYHAHAHAHHAHA. :)

Seriously there are games I'll never play though, simply because they are long RPGs, a genre that has been stale since the the death of the SNES. With a few minor exceptions, I've yet to find one that can even remotely keep me interested.

bread's done
Back