Motherboard DOA?

JolietJake

Banned
I'm pretty sure about this, but thought i'd post to see if anyone else had any ideas. Bought a new motherboard for a build that seems to be DOA. I haven't been able to get any sort of POST screen at all. I've removed everything that isn't necessary for a POST, but still nothing. I can't get anything on the screen at all. I've never had a part come DOA, but i'm thinking this one may be.

This is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595

Yeah, it could be bad RAM. Try different combinations of your sticks (all of them, one of them, switch them with one another, etc...). If it still doesn't post, then shoot Newegg and email and get the RMA process started.

[quote name='SEH']Yeah, it could be bad RAM. Try different combinations of your sticks (all of them, one of them, switch them with one another, etc...). If it still doesn't post, then shoot Newegg and email and get the RMA process started.[/QUOTE]

I actually mean the RAM may not be on the approved vendors list. Your RAM may work elsewhere, but it may not be compatible.

I tried all of that already, i even tried it without the memory to see if it would at least throw an error or something. Reset the CMOS multiple times. I've tried the board outside of the case completely so i know it isn't shorting or anything.

Looks like the board is probably dead. First time i've gotten something bad from newegg, i've been buying from them for years too.

any lights on the motherboard when you plug it into the power supply? That's usually the best way to tell if it's DOA or another issue

Well i got a replacement in, the same damn thing is happening. I don't understand this, i've tried everything i can think of. Just to make sure it wasn't shorting out, i set everything up outside the case, still won't POST at all. It isn't the PSU, it powers my system just fine. I've never had such a pain in the ass problem before.

Can you get another brand of memory from someone else's machine? That could at least eliminate the memory once and for all.

Also, going back to the original problem "I haven't been able to get any sort of POST screen at all. " Do you get an endless reboot loop? Any video at all? What exactly are you seeing?

The first mobo I ever ordered from newegg was doa, never had a problem with anything since. This stuff happens sometimes which sucks, but newegg is great and handles everything smoothly.

I'm not seeing anything at all, that's the problem, absolutely nothing comes up when i try to boot the computer. I could try some memory from my machine, but i've got two different sticks i've already tried separately, along with no memory at all.

This is really mind blowing, never had trouble like this.

Well after more testing , it seems that it may be the memory i have. I pulled a stick from my system and tried it in this one and it worked, but wouldn't with the memory i bought for it. What is strange is that it wouldn't work without memory installed, no error or anything. I would have tried the memory earlier if it had posted without any installed.

This is why I hate builting a PC. Had the same problem, except with a Gigabyte board. Tried everything, switch out everything. Returned it to newegg for a different Asus board and it all worked. Such a pain in the ass. Though it's nice when it all works fine, but for those times it doesn't that makes builting such hassle.

bread's done
Back