Mount & Blade 7.99, Combat Mission: SF + Lost Empire: Immortals 4.99 @ Gamersgate

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Mount & Blade is their Game of the Weekend at 70% off, definitely recommend it.

Combat Mission: Shock Force and Lost Empire: Immortals are 4.99 together.

Legit site, and once you've bought and downloaded a game, you don't need to be running any sort of client to play.
transparent_pixel.gif
[/quote]

Thanks for the share.

Now if only Gamersgate would redesign their website so it doens't look like crap.

Dropping the client was an awesome move on their part. Now I'll actually consider buying games from them.

I will definitely be buying Mount & Blade.

With as much hype as this got on the Gamers with Jobs Podcast it's worth $8 to check it out.

Do games from Gamer's Gate use DRM?

Does that depend on Gamer's Gate? The 3rd party selling the game? Or both? Or what?

Depends on the developer/publisher, case by case basis I believe. Mount & Blade at least uses some minor copy protection you can read about here.

[quote name='GamersGate FAQ'] Do you use SecuRom or any other protection on the games? Yes, some games got some kind of protection. That is on request from developers and publishers. However, the activation limit that may be on this protection is easy reset by an email to [email protected]. ANY GAME BOUGHT ON GG IS YOURS TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL AS MANY TIMES YOU LIKE![/quote]
http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=page&what=faq

$8 is about the upper limit of what M&B is worth. It is basically Sid Meier's Pirates, but instead of piracy and related minigames, you just have medieval battles. These battles are a blast until you realize that there is no worthwhile metagame behind them. Quests are terrible. Economics is dreadful. No matter what happens, every lord you beat will be back in two days with another army twice your size, and you are constantly artificially hamstrung in the size of the army you can field by the game.

Still, the melee combat is really, really fun, and even if the battles don't feel really realistic, they are still a blast to play. Try the demo if you don't believe. I ragged on it last paragraph, but still, they're easily worth $8 alone.

Just be a true CAG, don't pay more than $8.

Any word on Lost Empire? I am tempted to try it, but seems to have pretty average reviews all around. So curious to get some feedback before I get it, $5 or not.

Mount & Blade is WELL worth 7 bucks, hell I paid 30 and don't regret it in the least. An amazing game, for an amazing price. Buy it now, even if you don't like the genre.

[quote name='RollingSkull']$8 is about the upper limit of what M&B is worth. [/quote]

Couldn't disagree more. While many of the quests do have an overall shallowness, tho they are good for beginning game, moving from the opens the game to an evolving depth. Really good game.

[quote name='demonbox']Couldn't disagree more. While many of the quests do have an overall shallowness, tho they are good for beginning game, moving from the opens the game to an evolving depth. Really good game.[/QUOTE]

Great game. I paid 29.99 and I don't regret it. It is also easily moddable and has many great mods out for it.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/

And to the other guy:

I had no problems owning lords and capturing them and keeping them. I put them in castles and they stay there. I just keep refusing the ransom each time it is offered.

Many of the annoyances that people complain about have probably been modded out.

What depth? The city, town, and castle management was pathetic. Income was as simple as raiding villages that aren't of your color. Hell, I'm almost 15+ hours into the game and I still can't field an army of over 80 people, so I'll never be able to take over castles with any sort of reliability.

I tried six or so different mods but the forums are a mess. None of the mods try to sell themselves or advertise precisely what they fix in the game.

I had the exact same issue when I first got the game Rollingskull. Heard it was supposed to have tons of great mods to help fill out weaknesses in the base game, but had a hell of a time finding some. What I eventually found was Native Expansion, which I'd recommend to everyone in place of the base game.

Native Expansion .550 http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/viewcat.php?op=&cid=10
Native Expansion .570 patch (Required, apparently fixes some bugs) http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=7&lid=1025

Doesn't fix the weak quests unfortunately, but it makes the game more interesting. It's much, much more difficult to begin with, running around on a horse isn't as godlike due to braced spears, and generally makes the game more fun. And though it doesn't expand on the quests, it DOES expand on city/village/castle management, and you can even start your own kingdom and give orders to lords and run around with a 200+ army supported by minions. Still a flawed game, but that mod does a lot to improve it.

Addendum: Also worth noting, you probably CAN take over castles and cities with 80-odd people. The biggest trick I've found is to use the longest weapon you can for yourself, then make sure your troops are as high-end as possible. 200-400 defenders in a city usually aren't all top tier, and if you can chop your way through them initially your own troops will be able to get a more solid footing to fight on.

Mount & Blade is addictive for like one week, then it get kinda boring. And the graphic is really outdated for a game that was released in 2008.

Worth the 8 bucks, and if you prefer a hard copy, you can get one from ebay for like $15 shipped.

bread's done
Back