Mouse suggestions?

jalu6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been using my Microsoft Optical for years, but its starting to act up on me. Anyone have any suggestions on a good mouse replacement that may be used for gaming? I don't think I'm hardcore enough to warrant one of those insane diamond-cutting laser models, I'm looking for something thats mainly more comfortable. And cords are fine, I think the cordless ones are generally a little too heavy due to the batteries.

Razer Deathadder. it's about $50, but beautiful. def a lifetime mouse for me.

[quote name='Murcielago77']logitech mx518 or g5/g7[/quote]

I second those. I have used both the MX518 and G5. I "upgraded" to the G5 and gave the MX518 to my brother. I like the MX518 better, but my brother won't give it back, lol.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I second those. I have used both the MX518 and G5. I "upgraded" to the G5 and gave the MX518 to my brother. I like the MX518 better, but my brother won't give it back, lol.[/quote]

thirded.

If you have a big hand, MX518 can't be beat as far as ergonomics go.

If you have little girl hands, then try a razr diamondback

If by comfortable you mean light and easy to pick up, the Razer Copperhead is fantastic for me. If you like right-handed mice then you can't go wrong with the Razer Deathadder.

I had a Razer Copperhead but the outer rubber boarder on the mouse was starting to get on my nerves as well as the somewhat poor driver support. As far as performance goes it's incredible though.

I replaced the Razer with a Logitech G5 and I personally find it to be a lot more comfortable although I still have my Razer for a back-up mouse should anything go wrong with the Logitech.

In terms of performance I'd say they're practically identical so it'd come down to mouse design. The Razer is symmetric while the G5 is ergonomic (favoring the right hand). I'd try to find a place where you can see and feel both of them to decide for yourself and make a decision based on that. Either way you can't really go wrong with either one. Both are well worth the money in my opinion.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Whatever you can get for like $15. Those ridiculous $50+ "gaming mice" are bollocks.[/QUOTE]

I take it you've never owned one or given one a try for more than five minutes then.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I take it you've never owned one or given one a try for more than five minutes then.[/QUOTE]
Have to (friend's), and notice no difference from my plain Microsoft mouse.

And I'm a damn fine UT99 player, so it's not like I have no frame of reference here.

I think it's a placebo thing, personally. "I paid $80 for this mouse, so now I'll be 8 times better of a Counter-Strike player than I was when I used a $10 mouse!"

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Whatever you can get for like $15. Those ridiculous $50+ "gaming mice" are bollocks.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this, you can get by just fine with a cheaper mouse.

I used to give people fits with my $2 PS/2 Mouse in Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
I think it's a placebo thing, personally. "I paid $80 for this mouse, so now I'll be 8 times better of a Counter-Strike player than I was when I used a $10 mouse!"[/QUOTE]

I don't really care about the gaming implications. The main factors I consider in purchasing a mouse are the feel of it and how accurately it tracks movement. I've used the default mice that come with Dell/HP computers and several other mice (from Microsoft wireless to older models from Logitech) over the years and the best two mice I've found were both gaming mice, the G5 and Copperhead.

Some (like yourself) may not be able to justify spending $80 on a mouse while others are more than happy to if it provides the comfort and control they want. I don't have a problem spending a good chunk of change on a great mouse. I use one of Dell's standard optical mice at work 8 hours a day and when I come home and start to use my G5 there's a huge difference and it's for the better. It all boils down to personal preference and if you're willing to spend $60 or more on a mouse.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I don't really care about the gaming implications. The main factors I consider in purchasing a mouse are the feel of it and how accurately it tracks movement. I've used the default mice that come with Dell/HP computers and several other mice (from Microsoft wireless to older models from Logitech) over the years and the best two mice I've found were both gaming mice, the G5 and Copperhead.

Some (like yourself) may not be able to justify spending $80 on a mouse while others are more than happy to if it provides the comfort and control they want. I don't have a problem spending a good chunk of change on a great mouse. I use one of Dell's standard optical mice at work 8 hours a day and when I come home and start to use my G5 there's a huge difference and it's for the better. It all boils down to personal preference and if you're willing to spend $60 or more on a mouse.[/QUOTE]
I like how now you're all like "It's all about personal preference from person to person" and whatnot, but a few posts ago, you thought that the only way I couldn't think expensive mice are worth it, would be if I've never used one.

A bit of a quick change of tone, there.

its a comfort thing for me, it doesnt have much to do with gaming. i dont play a whole lot of games on my cpu anyway, but i have a hard time finding a cheap mouse that feels good in my hand for long periods of time...ill probably pick up a logitech G5 or mx518 when i get my new cpu

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I like how now you're all like "It's all about personal preference from person to person" and whatnot, but a few posts ago, you thought that the only way I couldn't think expensive mice are worth it, would be if I've never used one.

A bit of a quick change of tone, there.[/QUOTE]

No, I still stand by it and my original assessment of your initial statement. You called called gaming mice "bollocks" without any justification and/or reasoning behind such claim besides price. Then, after you explained that you have used them and established your "frame of reference" I could understand your point of view much more.

I'm sorry but I assumed you were responding in a manner like several other posters do on message boards, namely with baseless opinions without any actual experience with regards to the topic at hand. Your initial reaction of negatively based solely on pricing alone led me to believe you hadn't really used a "gaming" mouse. I apologize for that assumption on my part and I should have worded my response differently to sound less like a douche bag.

As for the preference thing, that's pretty much what purchasing/using a mouse comes down to (as in the vast majority of purchases). You didn't notice a dramatic difference and aren't willing to spend more than $15 or so on a mouse while I notice a huge difference and don't have a problem spending more if I feel it's worth it.

I was looking at the g5 online and it looks like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I think what it comes down to is to just go to a store and try and get a good feel for it.

As for the expensive v. cheap argument, what I'm looking for is really comfort. And if the $80 gaming mouse feels less comfortable in my hand then my regular MS Intellipoint I won't buy it. Just from the pictures I've seen online, it looks as though a lot of the gaming mice are larger and built with more of a contour to fit a persons hand.

I used to only buy Microsoft mice but I will never go back after switching to Logitech. Several years ago I went through their mice really quick. I used to get the Intellimouse Explorers and after a few months they would always die because of poor cables/wiring. I try to take really good care of my stuff too, so it's not that I was hard on them.

Personally, I am with the others on the G5. Here's a great testimony to this mouse... after getting it my game of Call of Duty 2 went WAY up. This thing has amazing precision. In fact, my game got so good... I actually got kicked out of my friend's computer shop because they thought I was cheating. How's that?

Here's another recomendation for the G5. It is simply the most comfortable mouse i've ever used. Just make sure to get the revision. The single side button was what prevented me from getting it earlier (the revision has 2).

I ended up picking up the G5 today with some gift cards. Great mouse. Very comfortable and the weight system is very cool.

bread's done
Back