Move Consensus, Can I sell the Wii?

fldash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
What's the consensus on Move? Can I sell my Wii? I have a daughter that will be ready to try video games in a year or so (maybe earlier, she's 1.5 now, I have no idea what age they start). I have a Wii, but it's collecting dust because we only use it for parties (which are rare now that we have a 1.5 year old)... I thought maybe about selling it and using it to get Move + Eye...

Thoughts?

I would say wait until the Move gets some more software, because while it may very well be superior to the Wii, it's still got nothing in terms of a game library.

Wii is a great system for kids, but if that's collecting dust I wouldn't count on the Move changing anything. Plus everything Wii would be cheaper for you and a 3-5 year old isn't going to know the difference.

If you want Move as something for yourself and as an option to entertain your daughter, then again -- wait for some more interesting games.

Actually, due to the calibration effort, I think the Wii would be more friendly for your child as the Move is a bit more realistic and thus might be frustrating for a very young child. However, I personally have not seen it in action in such a scenario so you might have to have your kid play one on display or something to see if they can really adapt but as far as grown kid/adult, if they were able to get the hang of the Wii they should be able to adapt to the Move.

The software issue is another good point as right now out of all the released titles, Sports Champions seems to be the only one to have gotten the best reception in terms of it appealing to almost everyone while others like Kung Fu Rider got slammed pretty hard...

I think that I heard they were going to port Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Super Smash Bros to the ps3, so of course there are no good wii exclusives left. Sell it now!

But seriously, if you don't want the wii, sell it. Why would the quality of the Move make a difference to you?

That's still a long time before your daughter can play it, and even then, you can't guarantee she'll be into it. If you feel you'd enjoy the Move more, then sell the Wii. You'll get more than enough to cover it. The Move will have plenty of kiddie games of its own. EyePet is one you can probably "play" with her now even.

I got rid of mine (returned it to Costco after 3 years). My 3.5 year old son doesn't care what system he's playing on. And he likes the light.

If you like Nintendo 1st party games, no. If you don't care either way, yes.
My Wii has been sitting there collecting dust as well for almost 2 years now, but I just keep it around for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid (although, the quality of those titles seems to be going down drastically).

I think the Move technology is definitely cooler, and I find Sports Champions to be much more compelling than Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort, but like everyone is saying, you may want to wait for more software. Maybe pick one up after Christmas when all of the big Holiday software comes out.

Keep it... cause you never know when a game that you really really want will be available exclusively for the Wii. At this point the only thing imo worth having a Wii for is for NIntendo's regular series (mario, Metroid etc.)

yeah my first impression for Move as far as kids go is kind off. My son loves to play the Wii, especially sword fighting. He loves to waggle in a straight line from the couch, all the way to practically touching the TV waggling violently. Sense the sensor is right there, all the movement still gets tracked or whatever.

Loaded up Sports Champions sword fighting for him last night and on his walk from in front of the camera, to 2" in front of the TV, obviously he lost all his motion detection b/c he wasn't in the camera's line of sight. So this was a little disappointment b/c trying to get a 4 year old to stand in the same spot vs. moving around like a wild animal is like trying to win the lottery..

[quote name='token2k6']yeah my first impression for Move as far as kids go is kind off. My son loves to play the Wii, especially sword fighting. He loves to waggle in a straight line from the couch, all the way to practically touching the TV waggling violently. Sense the sensor is right there, all the movement still gets tracked or whatever.

Loaded up Sports Champions sword fighting for him last night and on his walk from in front of the camera, to 2" in front of the TV, obviously he lost all his motion detection b/c he wasn't in the camera's line of sight. So this was a little disappointment b/c trying to get a 4 year old to stand in the same spot vs. moving around like a wild animal is like trying to win the lottery..[/QUOTE]

that is when you pull out the super glue and put it on his shoes :lol:

While I personally think the move is more entertaining, for a young child I would recommend keeping the Wii (and I'm not just saying this because of the exciting first party titles being released soon).

Where as the Move has a couple of kid friendly games, it seems like they are few and far between. The newer releases seem to be geared more toward a mature audience (Time Crisis, Dead Space Extraction, and all the FPS/3rd Person shooters that they are throwing move support in).

The Wii has plenty of games that are much more compatible with younger children. Cooking Momma and Mario Party are games that quickly come to mind.

Just don't be in too much of a rush. A year is a long time, and quite a few games can come out for the Move in that time period.

You want to get your baby daughter into gaming and NOT start with Nintendo? That's like introducing a toddler to cartoons and starting with The Simpsons and not Disney movies.

This seems more a case of the OP being bored with the Wii and justifying a purchase for the Move. Am I right OP? ;)

What Kendro said. :)

Seriously. If you're going to use the Wii exclusively for your kid, that's the way to go. The shovelware, er.. games are cheaper and more kid-friendly. The controls are more kid-friendly (I assume). And there still are decent games you can enjoy too from an established brand. (Mind you, they're mostly all developed by Nintendo)

But if you want a BETTER experience for yourself (minus the Nintendo games), get the Move, and hope your kid will play with it. The answer just depends on how selfish you are! ;)

[quote name='budz']What Kendro said. :)

Seriously. If you're going to use the Wii exclusively for your kid, that's the way to go. The shovelware, er.. games are cheaper and more kid-friendly. The controls are more kid-friendly (I assume). And there still are decent games you can enjoy too from an established brand. (Mind you, they're mostly all developed by Nintendo)

But if you want a BETTER experience for yourself (minus the Nintendo games), get the Move, and hope your kid will play with it. The answer just depends on how selfish you are! ;)[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think, Sir.

+1

I want to sell my wii and migrate to PSMOVE for motion gaming as well. But gawd I spent so much on my wii to sell it at the used price it is right now -_-

Theres like zero good software on the move right now...where as the wii has at least 4 years worth of good first party nintendo games (most other games suck on wii system). I literally think I own 2-3 third party games.

As others have said, there is very little for the Move and many titles for :wii:. I will probably never sell my :wii: unless the first party titles start slipping in quality and there are no third party exclusives I want.

Used wii's have no value as it is, and nintendo is going to drop the price on it soon because its getting outsold worldwide by the HD twins. I would sell it asap. You don't want your kids getting used to the wii anyway, waggle =/ gaming.

bread's done
Back