Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video 520 Store Liquidation - Starts Thursday 9/27/07

little_krampy

CAGiversary!
Credit goes to Whatdouknow at SD

They are not releasing a list of stores, but I googled my city and "hollywood video closing" and found one in my town that is closing. Maybe calling a store would get you more info on what is going on in your region. If anyone finds out what the markdown will be please post!!!

Movie Gallery Announces Consolidation of Store Operations
DOTHAN, Ala., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Movie Gallery, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOVI) today announced that it plans to close approximately 520 underperforming and unprofitable Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores. As previously announced, the Company has been accelerating its efforts to conserve cash and reduce the Company's cost structure to address the financial and industry challenges it has been experiencing.

Joe Malugen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Movie Gallery, said, "Closing these stores was a difficult, but necessary decision to help protect the future of this Company. These stores are being closed after evaluating a number of factors, including store profits and the terms of the leases at each location. This action will allow us to focus our resources on the approximate 4,000 stores that have a stronger operating performance and prospects for future growth.

We thank our many associates and partners who have remained loyal to us over the years," continued Malugen. "Where possible we will work with the customers at these locations to transfer their accounts to other nearby Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video locations. The talented associates and partners in the stores that will be closing have been notified. As always, we remain committed to treating all affected employees fairly and providing the necessary assistance to make this transition as smooth as possible"

Movie Gallery has retained an outside professional services firm, the Great American Group, to assist it in conducting sales of the inventory at the closing stores.

Got Deathrow for 8!!! Hadn't seen this used anywhere in forever. Good condition and it had the outer sleeve. Couldn't wait any longer. The clerk said the store closes November 1st. On the 1st, everything is a dollar. Then what's left gets moved to another store a mile away which will close a week or two later. The craziest part? She said that their store had received shipments from other stores as far away as California. This is in Atlanta.

My local store is at 60% off videogames and I found Rez (PS2). Disc only, but still a great find for $8. I have no idea where it came from...this was my third time in the store in the last month and it wasn't there the other 2 times.

I snagged Rez complete months ago, but with a ton of surface scratches, from a HWV 2/$20 sale. Those things are a godsend if the games are priced $14.99 and lower, since many rarer titles end up priced in that range.

As for me, I may check the MG store that's closing here next week again. They had alot of crap left the last time I was there, including MANY dvd sets. If that Nov. 1st date holds true for the rest of them, I plan on hitting that one around then again, assuming I don't spend the $$$ I have left till next week on a tv @ Kmart.

[quote name='Walt Jay']I found a post saying 22 stores in Illinois were closing, but I haven't found the actual locations yet.[/QUOTE]

Im a Store director at one of the Chicago stores. I can tell you for sure that the one on Cermak and Cicero closed down and the one in LaGrange is going on right now. There are still more stores coming...they call these stores on the "opportunity" list. We'll see what happens after the 4th quarter.:bouncy:

[quote name='little_krampy']My local store is at 60% off videogames and I found Rez (PS2). Disc only, but still a great find for $8. I have no idea where it came from...this was my third time in the store in the last month and it wasn't there the other 2 times.[/quote]

My store said that while they were in liquidation mode that they had received several shipments of stock from other stores that had already closed so new stuff can always pop up I guess. They even got stuff from stores in Cali and we're in Atlanta.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I snagged Rez complete months ago, but with a ton of surface scratches, from a HWV 2/$20 sale. Those things are a godsend if the games are priced $14.99 and lower, since many rarer titles end up priced in that range.

As for me, I may check the MG store that's closing here next week again. They had alot of crap left the last time I was there, including MANY dvd sets. If that Nov. 1st date holds true for the rest of them, I plan on hitting that one around then again, assuming I don't spend the $$$ I have left till next week on a tv @ Kmart.[/quote]

Stores closing days seem to vary. One around the corner closed a few days ago, this one closes the 1st and another one closes in a few weeks so I doubt a lot are closing on the 1st. It may depend on how much stuff they have left and how many stores are around to move the rest of the stuff to.

At a Hollywood by my house, they had DOAX2 for 60% off but it rang up at friggin $60 before the clearance. No wonder they're goin outta business.

I've noticed all the games I've bought only rung up at $19.99. They were supposed to be 90% off and most of the games I had were $9.99 and $4.99 but everything was $2 on my receipt. I brought my reciept back in the store and manager just said I could have a few games for free.

I picked up a complete Rez for $2, Hulk and Spiderman 2 for $2 too.

Kessen III, Dark Alliance 2, Jedi Knight 2 for a $1 or $1.50, they're trade in bait tommorow (not worth selling on ebay in the conditions they're in).

When I went last week my local closing store was at 80% off and pretty gutted, I did manage to find these though.

All Ps2 games

Ace Combat 5
River King
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
Gundam: federation Vs. Zeon
Gundam: Zeonic Front
Tokobot Plus
Gungriffin Blaze
Skygunner
Yakuza

So not that bad everything was complete except the 2 Gundam Games

80% off at the one GameCrazy in Indianapolis today, they're closing tomorrow. I snagged FFV Advance NIB for $6, Grandia III disc only for $5, Grandia Xtreme disc only for $1.60, an original Dreamcast controller for $.80, and Mario Superstar Baseball for $4.

Everything will be 90% off at that store tomorrow.

Games were marked $2 each or 5 for $8(or 1 'free' if you go by the individual prices).

I was hoping like hell the semi complete but a bit scratched n scuffed copy of Twin Snakes was still there for GC, but to no avail.

I ended up picking up the following, each with their own level of scratches, most being superficial:

Star Trek Shattered Universe(Xbox)- damn near mint and complete(cept for one of those stupid 'property of MG' clear stickers on the top of the disc)
Psi-Ops(Xbox)- some light surface scratches, with original case, but no manual
Second Sight(Xbox)- Same as Psi-Ops
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury(Xbox)- same condition as Psi-Ops, but complete
Ultimate Spiderman(Xbox)- same as Psi-Ops too...also with NO manual but original case
Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes(Xbox)- same as most of these games, missing the manual, some scratches, but has the original artwork and case

I also picked up one of those third party multi console av wires, which was 90% off the marked price of $5.99(.59) and a copy of the Marvel animated movie Dr. Strange for $1.50.

Yet with all of these things, my total came to only $10.71, so I'm not complaining, since they musta missed adding the AV wire and Marvel movie or something.

They also had a few game guides and mags left, marked @ $1.50 each, which included a couple copies of Gears Of War, one if Dirge Of Cerberus and one other one which slips my mind right now.

Not a bad haul, all things considered, and I was told with a wink and a nod from the one woman working there to come back next Weds when they're due to close to snag whatevers left for wholesale prices. Although, there wasn't much of anything left as it was last night. Mostly crap movies left, partial dvd box sets(like discs 2, 4 and 6 of Ugly Betty, Season 1) and all of the bleh games they couldn't sell during the rest of the closing sale.

I may still hit up the store again next Weds, to see if I can get some dvds for super cheap, if for nothing than to try and flip them to FYE for a quick buck or two.

How did I just see this topic??! dang...I dunno if any Hollywood Video stores near me are closing since the once just opened a Game Crazy like 2 or 3 years ago next to it. And they always seem busy. Might have to check into this though.

I stoped by the one in Grafton, VA and the entire store had been scrapped, there was a sign on the window that said Bankrupt, but it's a "liquidation" right? Anyways the guy in the papajohns shop said they'd closed down last saterday. So if anyone can find a "liquidated" store now w/deals, it'd be luck.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Isn't everything $1 at Movie Gallery today?[/quote]

Not all of them, though the older movies were $1 @ the MG store I hit last night. The more recent releases that they received prior to starting the store closing sale were $1.50(sealed copies of them were 70% off retail price) and games were 5 for $8 or $2 per game if you grabbed only a couple.

Nothing much was left that was decent though and the only non animated, non semi recent movie that I wanted(Jesus the miniseries from CBS a couple years ago, compiled on one disc) was long gone.

I probably should've bought some of the semi recent titles, if only to flip them for $5 each to FYE. Though, if they were in the condition of some of the games I bought(scratched, though no real major ones), then FYE wouldn't take them I'm sure.

Went to the HV that told me everything would be $1 today, their last day open and they were closed. They said some guy came in and bought everything that was left. Guess he runs a rental store. Meant to go back and get stuff like Metal Slug4/5, Hulk UD, and Rogue Agent at 80% off if they hit that, but oh well.

bread's done
Back