Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
My GS only took 1 of each title and didn't take GTA:SA because it was the old version. I went up the street to the other store and traded the rest in, even GTA. I traded about 10 games at each GS with the HV cases and none of them cared. I think in total I was charged $4 for refurb fees.

I took everything to GS in HWV cases, and didn't have any problems. I printed cover arts for Disgaea and Madden '09, but eventually decided to skip that. No refurb fees, either - I told the clerk I'd sold my PS2 on eBay, but decided to take the games to GS since eBay jacked up their fees on games. The clerk totally agreed, and kept asking if I was interesting in buying a next-gen system. ;)

The clerk separated things into those that had barcodes and those that didn't, and manually searched those that didn't. Extremely easy transaction - I don't feel too bad about dumping PS2 games on GS either, as they're mostly big-name titles that shouldn't really be there too long or rare titles that will probably be picked up by employees.

[quote name='io']You just kind of have to know which do and which don't - ask what you are getting for each game as they ring it up - that way if they feel the need to assess refurb fees hopefully they will tell you at that time. Many CAGs don't find out till it's too late (after the receipt is printed and the trade cannot be reversed).[/quote]

It's never too late, if you ask me, since I've walked out with my games before after seeing the refurb fees listed on the receipt. Many will not tell you about them until after you sign the touchpad and they take the games behind the counter.

That's just a shady way to do things, if you ask me, since the ONLY time I trade into GS or Blockbuster is when I'm going to be making a decent value on each game. Refurb fees cut down on what I'm making on each game, so if some stores charge them, I learn to avoid those stores in the future.

As for the stickers from HWV being hard to get off, I've found that the ones marked "Studio Store" are like the old EB/GS ones and impossible to fully get off the cases, while the newer ones marked just Hollywood Video are much easier to get off in one shot.

Picked up Silent Hill 3, Tales of Symphonia, and Suikoden 5.

The Hollywood Video near me still rents out old generation games, so a lot of the good stuff was unavailable.

I've been leaving everything in the HWV cases, stickers still on and everything. My first trip or two, I think my local GS kind of wondered why I was trading so many HWV games. They even commented on duplicate titles from the day before. I let them know I have receipts for everything, I brought the receipts with me on my third trip. Once they saw the receipts, they didn't care at all. Actually, they told me I could trade in an unlimited amount...as many duplicates as I want, as long as I have receipts. The manager told me it helps his trade numbers, and he appreciates that I spend some of the credit in his store.

It's really a win-win for all of us and GS. We're getting cheap credit, and they are getting good games at the prices they want to pay.

damn you people gettin all the rare games like MVC2 and Suikoden and Disgaeia...grr...all i could find that was rare was Fatal Frame x2 :xbox: and Operation Genesis x3 :xbox: ...hopefully the HV i went to yesterday gets a new shipment of games in on tuesday so ill have another reason to grab some more sweeeet priced games :whistle2:D

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone need a Wild Arms 3 manual? My copy of Indigo Prophecy had the manual for Wild Arms 3 in it.[/quote]

Too bad it wasn't 5....

[quote name='animemaniac14']damn you people gettin all the rare games like MVC2 and Suikoden and Disgaeia...grr...all i could find that was rare was Fatal Frame x2 :xbox: and Operation Genesis x3 :xbox: ...hopefully the HV i went to yesterday gets a new shipment of games in on tuesday so ill have another reason to grab some more sweeeet priced games :whistle2:D[/quote]

LOL

You're bitching about not finding enough rare games, while I wish I could find even ONE rare title. Although, I have been lucky enough to find some truly flippable games, so I guess I'm doing ok too.

But I wanted to try out JP:OG, just to see what the fuss is about, but I'm not paying $40 or more for it from Gamestop.

Oh and I don't think Disgaea is really too rare anymore, since it's been reprinted(I think).

[quote name='GuardianE']Unbelievable. I have to go BACK to the two distant Hollywood Videos to pick up more Wii games. I went out as soon as I read the ridiculous prices and managed to snag:

Assassin's Creed- $3.75
Soul Calibur 4- $13.50
Battlefield Bad Company- $11.44
Tony Hawk's Project 8- $.38
Call of Duty 4- $14.82

Wii
Super Paper Mario- $8.07[/quote]

HV sells Soul Calibur 4 for $49.99 so how did you get it for $13.50.

[quote name='cheapskate01']Well i raided one HWV store tonight and cleaned house of the next gen games, all the last gen was gone. I picked up

Super smash brawl for 15.75 *4
Super Mario Galaxy 10.69 *4
Grand Theft Auto IV 7.88
Soul Caliber IV 13.50 [/quote]

How did you get them for that price. All were $40-$50 in the computer at my HV.

[quote name='king007']How did you get them for that price. All were $40-$50 in the computer at my HV.[/quote]
It's a mistag store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's never too late, if you ask me, since I've walked out with my games before after seeing the refurb fees listed on the receipt. Many will not tell you about them until after you sign the touchpad and they take the games behind the counter.

That's just a shady way to do things, if you ask me, since the ONLY time I trade into GS or Blockbuster is when I'm going to be making a decent value on each game. Refurb fees cut down on what I'm making on each game, so if some stores charge them, I learn to avoid those stores in the future.
[/QUOTE]
Same exact thing here. Bitch charged me 9.00 in refurb fees for three games (!) and didn't tell me about it. That's RIDICULOUS, you need to tell people that. I went back in and told him to cancel the transaction and give me my guys back. I was flipping all day yesterday anyway, so I went to another Hollywood Video I had to go to anyway and had them resurface the discs so I wouldn't get charged. One of the refurb fees was charged on Indiana Jones which was in very good shape-- the guy was a bastard I think. He kept alluding to the fact I was flipping.
So, point of this story: Check your games and if they're damaged, have them stick it in the machine to clean them and you'll avoid all the troubles with the refurb fees.

So far this is what i bought from hollywood video

df8rkl.jpg

i grabbed raiden 3 PS2, Star Ocean till the end of time ps2, mario strikers GC, zelda collectors edition GC, dirge of cerberus ff7 ps2, buldurs gate dark alliance 2 ps2, tekken 5 ps2, and devil may cry 2 ps2. all for like 33 dollars.

First Post on CAG but longtime lurker but I too was fortunate enough to score on this sale... Found

Smash Bros Melee (GC)
Mario Baseball (GC)
Mario Power Tennis (GC)
Grim Grimoire (PS2)
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners Earth (Xbox)
Halo (Xbox)
Def Jam Icon (360) $1.50?!

Christmas Presents for the Kid!
Flushed Away (GC)
Ratatouie (GC)

Struck out on Guitar Hero Aerosmith (PS2) and Halo 2 Special Edition (Xbox) due to lack of discs which sucks.

Plan on Going back (hopefully) for Disgaea 2, Mercs 2, Mario Party 6, Wild Arms 5, Street Fighter Anniversary, Guitar hero 3 and several others.

The woman behind the counter was like tell all your friends! I still don't believe this sale is real but I plan on taking advantage.:cool:

[quote name='cheapskate01']Well i raided one HWV store tonight and cleaned house of the next gen games, all the last gen was gone. I picked up

Super smash brawl for 15.75 *4
Super Mario Galaxy 10.69 *4
Grand Theft Auto IV 7.88
Soul Caliber IV 13.50

Now to trade into GS im calculating an est of 237.3 credit with the 40% promo (or 20 each for buying a new game). After i spent 127.14 thats w/o tax.. At a ratio of 1.8 the trip wasn't worth it and im gonna be doing alot of returns. If someone wants any of those let me know.[/quote]

how'd you get those for so damn cheap?? those were around 45-50 bucks each used. they must have been mistagged.

I think I'm finished because I've cleaned all Hollywood Videos in my area for anything that I wanted. Here are my my totals:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess X4
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
Mario Party 6
God of War 2 X3
Warriors Orochi X2
Super Mario Strikers
Dot Hack G.U. Vol 2
Dot Hack G.U. Vol 3
Mario Power Tennis
Super Smash Brothers Melee X3
Pikmin X2
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Mercenaries
Grim Grimoire
Starfox Adventures
Starfox Assault
Monster Rancher Evo
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Dot.Hack Outbreak
Dot.Hack Mutation

At the aforementioned ridiculous discounts:
Soul Calibur 4
Tony Hawk's Project 8 X2
Battlefield Bad Company
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed
Super Paper Mario

I'm hoping that the HV near me may convert some of their rarer GC and PS2 games from rentals to sale in the coming weeks.

[quote name='deletion']how'd you get those for so damn cheap?? those were around 45-50 bucks each used. they must have been mistagged.[/quote]

For a single day or so, the computer had ridiculous price drops. They fixed it since then, I believe.

[quote name='GuardianE']

I'm hoping that the HV near me may convert some of their rarer GC and PS2 games from rentals to sale in the coming weeks.
[/quote]

Can they do that? if so, that's probably why i couldn't get Pikmin 2

[quote name='deletion']how'd you get those for so damn cheap?? those were around 45-50 bucks each used. they must have been mistagged.[/quote]

After reading these posts i guess it was a price mistake that lasted only on friday. They rang up as (in the system already** no coupon needed)
Super smash brawl for 21
Super Mario Galaxy 14.5
Grand Theft Auto IV 10.5
Soul Caliber IV 18

They must have corrected it or some stores don't have those price mistakes. Take off the 25% for current gen of those base prices and you get those for cheap.

[quote name='david12795']Can they do that? if so, that's probably why i couldn't get Pikmin 2[/quote]
Someone had posted that Hollywood converts on Wednesdays.

I have a friend who knows that I get games for cheap. He asked me if I could get Fifa 09 :ps2: for him for cheap. We went to the nearest HV and he bought 5 games to flip (he also bought Harvest Moon :ps2: and the MoH triple pack :ps2: for himself). We then traded the 5 games into GS and he got Fifa 09 for $21.60 out of pocket. He was :shock: :whee:.

I ended up with his leftover $10.xx in credit for my troubles (15 min :lol:). He is now asking me where I get this info from. I told him that I didn't want to tell him because he would get addicted to it (he has a wife and daughter). Back when the Wii was hard to find, I offered him one for cheap but I guess he didn't believe me at the time.

He also mentioned that there were 2 HV close to his house (9 miles away). So I'll have to check those out later on today. :D

[quote name='JJSP']Someone had posted that Hollywood converts on Wednesdays.[/quote]

By converting, you mean putting more rental games up for sale every Wednesday?

Is HV trying to clear up the GC, PS2, XBOX inventory?

Only game worth buying at my local Movie Gallery (for flipping purposes) was Pikmin 2. Small towns for the lose. Going to try and hit up some local Hollywood Videos before going to GameStop tonight.

[quote name='david12795']By converting, you mean putting more rental games up for sale every Wednesday?

Is HV trying to clear up the GC, PS2, XBOX inventory?[/quote]
Mhmm. I think someone posted that their store pulls rental stock and converts it to sale once a week. There's a store here that has around ten copies of Lego Batman (PS2) - I expect some of those to end up for sale instead.

It'd make sense for HV to clear shelf space around this time of the year. Much in the same way that Gamestop runs a B2G1 sale right around this time every year, there's a ton of new release games that come out around the holidays. For a store like GS or HWV to have shelf space for those, they've gotta get rid of the stock that doesn't move. No sense in having a bunch of old games on the shelf that aren't going anywhere when they could be filled with copies of Fable 2, Gears 2, Resistance 2, and the rest of the myriad of games that are in high demand.

[quote name='david12795']Is HV trying to clear up the GC, PS2, XBOX inventory?[/quote]

If they are trying to clear out their last-gen games, this is the way to do it. :D I bet they have never sold this many games in such a short period of time. :lol:

It's a shame that many on here have reported being denied by clueless managers. They have no idea that they will never sell those games at the price they want. :roll:

Hopefully, they do convert more rentals since I haven't seen many of the newer PS2 games. One HV near me has a big PS2 rental section. :bouncy:

[quote name='JJSP']Mhmm. I think someone posted that their store pulls rental stock and converts it to sale once a week. There's a store here that has around ten copies of Lego Batman (PS2) - I expect some of those to end up for sale instead.

It'd make sense for HV to clear shelf space around this time of the year. Much in the same way that Gamestop runs a B2G1 sale right around this time every year, there's a ton of new release games that come out around the holidays. For a store like GS or HWV to have shelf space for those, they've gotta get rid of the stock that doesn't move. No sense in having a bunch of old games on the shelf that aren't going anywhere when they could be filled with copies of Fable 2, Gears 2, Resistance 2, and the rest of the myriad of games that are in high demand.[/quote]

Good, till then I guess I have to wait. Although, I can't see why they can just sell me the game wo/ having to get the case first and all that, unless this 3.99 deal is limited.

Total amount so far also posted in the GS thread

My haul

ps2:
Dot.Hack GU
ICO
Lego Indiana Jones
Mercs 2
Cabela's Africa
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Silent Hill 3
Tales of Symphonia
Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s
GTA SA (bad 1st edition copy, I'll be returning this to HW)

Xbox
GTA SA
SW BattleFront 2

GC
Mario SuperStarBaseball
Star Fox Assault
Mario Party 5

Total Spent both trips $62 +5 gas=$67, Total Trade in $228.12

The one near me didn't have any signs about it, but when I asked up front they called another store and confirmed it. For $12.61 total I picked up, all for the Ps2: Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly, and Clock Tower 3.

Got another big haul today after hitting two local Movie Galleries. All were again $3.99. I'm going to update this post with trade in values on Monday after I trade them in.

Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) x5
Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition (GCN)
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (GCN)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest (GCN) x2
Super Mario Strikers (GCN) x2
Mario Superstar Baseball (GCN)
Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock (PS2)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN) x2
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
God of War II 2-Disc (PS2)
Mario Party 5 (GCN)

Hopefully this next trip to GS will be a fruitful one.

I advise everyone to take advantage of this deal immediately.

Had to drive to a HV in a crummy neighborhood, but managed to get:

GC
Legend of Zelda - TP (no instructions)
Mario Kart - DD (disc only)
Mario Party 6 (disc only)
Mario Party Tennis (no instructions)

PS2
Star Wars FU (complete)
Lego Indiana Jones (complete)

The associate who rung me up initially said "That will be $219.86 please." After informing him of the $3.99 deal, he asked his manager (who was right next to him) about it. She replied "You should know, you hung the sign up!" His reply..."Damn, I've got to get some games."

BTW, the code that Move Gallery must use for the discount is COPPG399 for the last-gen 3.99 price markdown. It took them awhile to find the code, but it was in their corporate promotions binder (5" thick binder full of corporate emailings). Also, none of the barcodes scanned correctly and every single one of them had to be manually entered with a U in front of the SKU (not sure if HV/MG are clearing the games out of the system or what). Apparently, the promotion started on the 3rd, so don't take "no" for an answer- persistence pays off. Hollywood video also has a code to get the markdown and it is +CHVGM399 (not sure if the plus is part of the code or not, but that's what the lady told me over the phone).

Good luck to all.

I finally found a store near me that had the $3.99 sale. Someone must have hit it up already because it was completely picked over. Not a single game I wanted from the bunch....oh well.

It was the Hall Road and Hayes location in Michigan (if anyone cares).

Also, they did have 25% off next gen, but no mistags....booooo. They even had some newer games also....grrrr. Oh well.

I traded in the following from the HWV sale(ended up picking up 5 more titles today, but returned one(Raiden III) after it got seventy five cents @ Gamestop):

Here's the TIV's to GS for them, before and (AFTER) all promos:

All of these are PS2:

Manhunt 2 $3.75($5.25 after Edge+30%)
NCAA Football 2009 $19.25($26.95 after Edge+30%)
Lego Indiana Jones $18.75($26.25 after Edge+30%)
Incredible Hulk $7.75($10.85 after Edge+30%)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology $ 11.75($16.45 after Edge+30%)

Total trade value- $92.40

These are mixed, unmarked ones are PS2(GC, PS2):

Wild Arms 5 $4.75($6.65 after Edge+30%)
Ratatouille(GC) $2.75($3.85 after Edge+30%)
NCAA Football 2009 $19.25($26.95 after Edge+30%)
Warriors Orochi $5.75 ($8.05 after Edge+30%)
Star Fox Assault(GC) $6.75($9.45 after Edge+30%)

Total trade value- $54.95

I also traded in my copy of Dark Sector for PS3, which got $4.75 there and $6.65 after promo + Edge.

By the way, here's the TIV's for the first batch of games @ Blockbuster:

Hulk: $6
Dark Sector:$6(they sell this for $9.99 now)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology: $9.50
NCAA Football 2009:$16
Manhunt 2: $1.25(they sell this for $6.99)
Lego Indy: $16

Also, FYE gives $20 in TIV for NCAA Football 2009 currently without ANY promos.

I now have over $200 in credit @ Gamestop and almost $75 @ Blockbuster thanks to this deal.:D

That it is. People from the Blockbuster/Gamerush thread had their 'perfect storm', but for me this is coming damn close. I've made almost $300 in credit off of $80-100 in games in 2-4 days.

The only multiple(s) out of the whole batch that I've traded has been the NCAA Football 2009 too.

Such a bummer. I had about 3 hollywood video/Movie gallery stores in somewhat convient locations that I never, ever went to. And now that I would actually go there, they are all now closed down. The only Movie gallery left is a drive away, and not worth it. There is two hollywood video/gamecrazy combos somewhat nearby, but it sounds like they won't be down for this deal.

Oh well, congrats to all who are getting in on this. Sounds awesome.

Made an $18 profit off this deal (Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, and Lego Star Wars 2). Not exactly a fortune, but it sure made this first-time CAG'er happy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back