Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rozz']I'm glad I sold my Pikmin II for $80 when the price skyrocketed before the summertime.[/quote]
You had inside information.

OK, OK, so I'm about 2 months and 100 thread pages late, but look like this deal is still going strong.

I'm going to hit up Hollywood Video tomorrow. I've never bought games from a rental place before - how are the quality of the discs? Do you get the case and manual, or do you have to pay for them or something?

And the whole GameStop thing (I've never traded anything in before) - will they take the games if they are disc only, or if they're scratched up?

[quote name='rygar']OK, OK, so I'm about 2 months and 100 thread pages late, but look like this deal is still going strong.

I'm going to hit up Hollywood Video tomorrow. I've never bought games from a rental place before - how are the quality of the discs? Do you get the case and manual, or do you have to pay for them or something?

And the whole GameStop thing (I've never traded anything in before) - will they take the games if they are disc only, or if they're scratched up?[/quote]

The disk condition vary but you can have Hollywood Video rebuff them for free when you buy them. Sometimes you get a complete game and sometimes you get a generic case with no manual so it varys on that also. Gamestop takes disk only but sometimes they add a fee on for not having a case and they charge you a rebuff fee of about $3-4.00 if the disks are badly scratched so make sure you're having HWV rebuff them for free.

When I went to pick up a pizza this weekend, I popped into the HWV next door. I found a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta. It also came with the original case and manual. Not bad for $4 bucks. I did want to pick up a copy of MP2 they had for my friend, but the disc was so fucked up it wasn't even worth the $4 to test it out to see if it worked.

[quote name='gareman']current gen are still 25% off.

Picked up Bad Company (360) for just under 19 bucks.[/quote]

oh shit I didnt even remember to check current gen when I went in :\

thanks for reminding me, gotta check it out next time i go there.

lol...my HWV, BBV and GS are all around the same area, like a 2 minute drive from one store to the next, and BBV and HWV are basically untouched for both of their sales :D

[quote name='Collectorguy00']The disk condition vary but you can have Hollywood Video rebuff them for free when you buy them. Sometimes you get a complete game and sometimes you get a generic case with no manual so it varys on that also. Gamestop takes disk only but sometimes they add a fee on for not having a case and they charge you a rebuff fee of about $3-4.00 if the disks are badly scratched so make sure you're having HWV rebuff them for free.[/quote]
Some HWV's charge $2 for rebuffing per game.

So...I remember seeing a copy of Oblivion: GOTY edition in my HWV for 29.99, would that be 25 percent off? and then I heard someone said the TIV for it was like 35 at BBV?

[quote name='rygar']
I'm going to hit up Hollywood Video tomorrow. I've never bought games from a rental place before - how are the quality of the discs?[/QUOTE]

Yeah - it really varies, though most of the stuff from this sale is pretty crappy as it is a lot of older last-gen stuff and the original cases and manuals are generally long gone. And the discs were rented for quite a while and are also generally in pretty poor condition. This is in stark contrast to the current Blockbuster used game sale (B1G1 free $14.99 and under) as most of that stuff is 360/Wii/PS3 which for the most part is in excellent condition and complete.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']So...I remember seeing a copy of Oblivion: GOTY edition in my HWV for 29.99, would that be 25 percent off? and then I heard someone said the TIV for it was like 35 at BBV?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about the HWV pricing, but, yeah, it gets $35 at BBV for the 360 version (PS3 is much lower for some reason). Don't expect that price to last too much longer though (should be good at least through Sunday, however).

OK, so I hadn't gone to a HWV in a while but I tried an out of the way one yesterday and thought at first I had found a goldmine. I had been to this store a few weeks ago and got a few things but they didn't have all that much. Yesterday they had 3 tables set up with clear $3.99 signage. Each table housed one system (PS2, GC, Xbox). And about half the games were in slimline cases so on the PS2 and Xbox tables, in any case, there were tons of games. I estimated it at around 1000 - way more than I've ever seen at any other store. Clearly they got a shipment from somewhere. However, when I delved into it, I found that it was a bunch of utter crap. Nearly all of it was old sports games and most of the games were priced $2.99-$4.99 anyway. I found not a single thing in those 1000 games worth buying except for 1 GC Lego Star Wars II which I passed on in any case as I didn't have other stuff to take to GS at the time for the current tiered deal.

However, I stopped by another today and they had some decent things (Pokemon XD, Mario Strikers, stuff like that). The problem is they had printed new signs that added "$12.99 and under" to the $3.99 bit. They did not have this up a week ago or so (when they didn't have all these games). So I thought, crap, that's why they had decent stock. But I decided to try it out anyway and brought just 4 games up - the clerk scanned the $3.99 code without me saying a thing, so I got the deal. I wish I had gotten a few more. I think I may have just been lucky with a clerk used to the proper deal and not the recently-modified one. A few of those games were tagged $24.99 so they weren't close to qualifiing. But c'mon, good luck to any store trying to sell a beat up disc-only Pokemon XD for that much anyway :rofl:.

This is quasi-irrelevant, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good flips to Gamecrazy from Blockbuster or to Gamecrazy from Gamestop. I kind of want some credit so that I can get some exclusives that Capcom is looking to throw at Gamecrazy/Hollywood Video for future titles.

[quote name='io'] A few of those games were tagged $24.99 so they weren't close to qualifiing. But c'mon, good luck to any store trying to sell a beat up disc-only Pokemon XD for that much anyway :rofl:.[/quote]

Yeah, the pricing without the deal is ... odd.

I was in a Movie Gallery that might of had 40 games total, with the only thing remotely interesting a Suikoden IV, which was tagged 24.99. I got it figuring it was better than leaving empty handed, and the CSR rang it up and told me the total was 26.49. :roll: Told him about the 3.99 deal and said "oh, right".

I went back to the first HWV and found:

Mario Superstar Baseball
Wario World
Yakuza
God of War

If anyone has an extra fire emblem from this please LMK. Don't care if it's scratched, I just want to play it.

[quote name='Butterfly719']I found another HWV store (in Medford, MA) today and managed to score 22 games. The clerk at the counter was telling me that someone came in recently and loaded up a couple big cardboard boxes, spending a couple hundred bucks on games. I can't help but think it was another CAGer! lol

Got the games home....one disc was broken in half :bomb:, one was scratched to fucking hell, three are really beat up and questionable as to whether I'll be able to flip them to GS without a refurb fee, two were IMMACULATE, and all the rest are easily passable to GS. All in all, not a bad run. Got some really interesting titles like Grandia III, Suikoden IV, Silent Hill 4, SW: KOTOR II, Nascar '08, and more.

Soooo...who hit the motherload at this store before me? ;)

Oh, and neither of like the only two HWV's we have around have a working disc buffer machine :roll: so the 8 or so games that I bought that need to be refurbed before I can trade them in are just sitting around[/quote]

Probably me. No cardboard boxes involved, but a while ago, I bought about 35 games from that store. Did your Grandia III have both discs? I had to return one that only had one disc. BTW, did you end up making it to the Waltham or Needham stores yet?

[quote name='darkslime']If anyone has an extra fire emblem from this please LMK. Don't care if it's scratched, I just want to play it.[/quote]

I just recently returned the one I bought for 3.99 because I didn't really enjoy it. I told the clerk it was a present but the person already had it. Technically, it is against policy to return it for that reason, but since it was Christmas, she let me return it and I got a different game. :D

[quote name='Lemmiwinks531']Probably me. No cardboard boxes involved, but a while ago, I bought about 35 games from that store. Did your Grandia III have both discs? I had to return one that only had one disc. BTW, did you end up making it to the Waltham or Needham stores yet?[/quote]

I got there two weekends ago. Only left with about 20 games though.

I haven't hit Waltham or Needham yet, but probably won't anytime soon. I'm sitting on about 470 GS credit and a bunch from Blockbuster.

Found near all the mario games at a store. double dash (like new), strikers (LN),golf,tennis,ect. They also had two twins snakes ( like new).A few RE remakes like new. Harvest Moon: MM
Animal Crossing. The PS2 section was all sports nearly, so it was picked clean.

Is LOZ: 4 swords worth picking up?

Another question, if these games don't end up working on my wii, can I get them refurbished at HV?

I saw some real gems on the shelf (games like Knights of the Old Republic II for Xbox and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams for the PS2). Unfortunately, they couldn't find KOTOR II's disc behind the counter and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams only had one of the two discs. I did leave with a few others though.

The Gamecube section at my store was picked dry, unfortunately. Anything left looked like it was chewed in half.

[quote name='Lemmiwinks531']Probably me. No cardboard boxes involved, but a while ago, I bought about 35 games from that store. Did your Grandia III have both discs? I had to return one that only had one disc. BTW, did you end up making it to the Waltham or Needham stores yet?[/quote]

lol my Grandia III was just the first disc also, so I returned it to another HWV. I did make it to Waltham a few days ago and grabbed about 15 games. They didn't have amazing titles, but it was good enough. I didn't/don't think I'll be going to Needham. I did notice that there are a couple other stores farther out that I might venture to another week. It looks like I'm about done with the HWV flipping, though, until these stores start getting in new shipments or pulls. We went up to a couple Movie Galleries today in Manchester, NH and boy was that a waste of time...I found maybe 4 games total that were OK trades. Both stores were incredibly picked over and one of the clerks told me that there's always some guy who comes in (she thinks he owns a store, I think he is a CAGer lol) and pratically buys them out of games.

On a good note, I officially unloaded ALL of the rest of my games to GS tonight so if I do anymore flipping, I'll be starting from a brand new slate. I ended up making over $500 in free GS credit in two weeks time.

[quote name='Butterfly719']lol my Grandia III was just the first disc also, so I returned it to another HWV. I did make it to Waltham a few days ago and grabbed about 15 games. They didn't have amazing titles, but it was good enough. I didn't/don't think I'll be going to Needham. I did notice that there are a couple other stores farther out that I might venture to another week. It looks like I'm about done with the HWV flipping, though, until these stores start getting in new shipments or pulls. We went up to a couple Movie Galleries today in Manchester, NH and boy was that a waste of time...I found maybe 4 games total that were OK trades. Both stores were incredibly picked over and one of the clerks told me that there's always some guy who comes in (she thinks he owns a store, I think he is a CAGer lol) and pratically buys them out of games.

On a good note, I officially unloaded ALL of the rest of my games to GS tonight so if I do anymore flipping, I'll be starting from a brand new slate. I ended up making over $500 in free GS credit in two weeks time.[/quote]

I had a feeling the NH trip would end up being a waste, so I never made it. I live very close to the Medford store and go to school close to the Chelmsford store, so I go back from time to time, and I'll keep you informed if they ever get any new shipments. After all my trades were complete (finally) I ended up with ~$950 in GS credit after spending ~$320 at HWV. Not a bad trade up.

It's funny that with how long this deal has been going on we both started exploiting it out at roughly the same time. I'm glad there was enough to go around for both of us as well. Take it easy, and let's try to keep each other apraised of any awesome local deals we can exploit.

Good trip today

They had just got a box in and I could have easily dropped $40+. Instead I grabbed Futurama ps2, Pikmin 2, SW Force Unleashed ps2, GTA SA xbox, and Mario Tennis

I passed on Mario Party 7, disc was cracked, KOTR II (wrong disc), Kirby's Air ride, Super Smash bros, and Animal Crossing

What I got. This hollywood video was sorta far for me but worth it

2vt1d2q.jpg

:ps2:
Lego Batnan x4
MX vs. ATV

:xbox:
Star wars battle field x2
Starwars jediknight
GTA SA

:gc:
Mario golf
Mario party 6
Mario tennis
Pikmin 2
Kirby air ride
Fire emblem
Pokemon colosseum
Animal crossing
Super smash bros melee
Pokemon XD
Mario Strikers
Starfoz assault
Zelda TP
Zelda 4Swords

sorry, I have been away from this thread for too long. I keep checking my store and not finding anything. Did they send out another box full of games? My MG only restocked once.

Went back to a couple HWV and picked up:

SvR 08
Futurama
Lego SW 2
GTA:SA
Xeosaga 3
Power Rangers:SL

Lego SW 2 x2
Pokemon XD

GTA:SA
SWBF2 x2

Hey guys, I don't know if it's been posted yet, but there was a memo sent out last week saying this ends the 7th. Better act now, some HWV's are starting to transfer out things that won't sell to GameZone and GameCrazy stores.

[quote name='Dhuk']Found near all the mario games at a store. double dash (like new), strikers (LN),golf,tennis,ect. They also had two twins snakes ( like new).A few RE remakes like new. Harvest Moon: MM
Animal Crossing. The PS2 section was all sports nearly, so it was picked clean.

Is LOZ: 4 swords worth picking up?

Another question, if these games don't end up working on my wii, can I get them refurbished at HV?[/quote]

Ok, I was wrong about the PS2 section, all the games from '08 (SW:FU,Merc 2,ect) are not up for sale/been converted yet. And they probably won't until this sale ends. XBox goodness was still there.

[quote name='Scorch']Hey guys, I don't know if it's been posted yet, but there was a memo sent out last week saying this ends the 7th. Better act now, some HWV's are starting to transfer out things that won't sell to GameZone and GameCrazy stores.[/quote]

Weeeee, all our GC got converted or bought out to Gametag. No worries here :p

[quote name='Scorch'] some HWV's are starting to transfer out things that won't sell to GameZone and GameCrazy stores.[/quote]

Already happened at some HWVs by me.

Had a GREAT day at HWV today.

Picked up:

Mario Tennis x2
Smash Bros Melee
Kirby Air Ride x2
Lego Star Wars
Lego Star Wars 2
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Paper Mario
Stafox Assault
Fire Emblem POR

Jedi Academy
SW BF2 (x2)
Republic Commando
KOTOR 2 (x2)

Cabela Big Game 2008
Cabela Trophy Bucks
Hot Wheels Beat That
Lego SW 2
Spartan Total Warrior
God of War 2

All were in good condition, except Fire Emblem.

Turned $103 into $260 GS credit! :bouncy:

[quote name='jaysapathy']Sale ends Sunday. Confirmed by corporate offices.[/quote] That sucks.
I was hoping to get one more trip in on Monday.

Today I was at a HWV that told me the sale ended 'last month'

This was after I got a bunch of games for $4 at a store 2 miles away. :roll:

[quote name='manthing']Already happened at some HWVs by me.

Had a GREAT day at HWV today.

Picked up:

Mario Tennis x2
Smash Bros Melee
Kirby Air Ride x2
Lego Star Wars
Lego Star Wars 2
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Paper Mario
Stafox Assault
Fire Emblem POR

Jedi Academy
SW BF2 (x2)
Republic Commando
KOTOR 2 (x2)

Cabela Big Game 2008
Cabela Trophy Bucks
Hot Wheels Beat That
Lego SW 2
Spartan Total Warrior
God of War 2

All were in good condition, except Fire Emblem.

Turned $103 into $260 GS credit! :bouncy:[/quote]

Wow, makes me want to make a run one last run tomorrow.
It's either that or a blockbuster or run.

So I went to a movie gallery about an hour away and didn't really find any last gen games. HOWEVER I did find International Superstar Soccer 2000 and Kirby 64 for 4 bucks a piece! Not to bad since ISS2000 is apparently rare print.

Made a run to 4 stores for the first time in a month and a half and picked up:

Gamecube:
Mario Tennis

XBox:
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy X2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars KOTOR 2
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Lego Star Wars II The Original Trilogy

PS2:
Futurama X2
Godzilla Save the Earth
GTA Vice City Stories

Will trade in SWBF2, 1 Futurama, Mario Tennis, and both Jedi Knights at GS tomorrow. If anybody lives near Sumner, WA that HWV has 2 copies of Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, $10 TIV at GS. Left them there because I already have 2 to trade in and don't want to get hassled or make a second trip. Especially with GS not taking XBox games in a month.

[quote name='Scorch']Hey guys, I don't know if it's been posted yet, but there was a memo sent out last week saying this ends the 7th. Better act now, some HWV's are starting to transfer out things that won't sell to GameZone and GameCrazy stores.[/quote]

Yep, saw the memo today. Next used games special is buy 1 get 1 free on all games ($14.99 or less).

Damn Hollywood Video has terrible service.
The guy who sold me a bulk load of games (~18) told me I can return them in 30 days if there were any problems even after buffing all of them for free. Three of which were unreadable, so naturally I go back to the store to return them. Upon walking in I immediately begin beeping and an employee comes over and starts acting hectic and says "Why are you beeping, ok you're beeping, what what what"
Then he tells me I can return the games only for store credit, and prompts me out of the door while putting my games in a bag. He tells me the manager will be there at 5 o' clock if I want to wait around (it's currently 2:30 and I have better things to do than waiting around for a HWV manager..). He also claims the original guy I bought from was new and didn't understand.
I walk out about to go to a coffee shop, and then turn around in deciding I'd rather take store credit. Then this guy tells me I can't return and still have to wait for the manager. He starts blaming my systems (GC & PS2) and says after 2 years or so they start wearing down. I tell him he can't fucking honestly (minus the expletive) blame both of my systems when they play other discs, INCLUDING THE ONES I BOUGHT AT THIS HWV, work perfectly. Gives me the managers card, I walk out disgusted.
I call the Manager and explain the situation. Guy says I can't do anything nastily and I tell him he lost a customer. He also said the employee who originally sold to me was not brand new and there must have been a misunderstanding. He doesn't sound sorry and I have to go back if I want good GS flipping, but hey I hope I got it in his mind to treat his customers with respect.
All in all I'm not impressed with this HWV, but I have to back if I want to flip for profit as it is the only HWV near me.
=/

[quote name='david12795']Shoulda told them you been flipping their games to piss them off :p[/quote]
Yeah, that's my motivation to go back, lol.

I had to make one last trip before everything dies

Picked up:

Spartan Total Warrior
Lego SW 2
Cabela dangerous 2008

GTA San Andreas

I finally saw that San Andreas was worth a good amount at GS for the first time today.

:oops:

Every damn HWV had them in stock when I visited

:wall:

Made my last trip there today

Scored a Kirby's Air Ride, SW Battlefornt 2 xbox, Silent Hill 4 ps2, Pokemon Coloesseum, and God of War 2

[quote name='snowmint']Isn't the B1G1 better or shuld I make one last trip?[/quote]

I think the B1G1 is going to use the actual sticker prices on the games. If I remember correctly most of the games were priced around $9.99 - $19.99. I'd make another trip if you think it's worth the time.

[quote name='snowmint']Isn't the B1G1 better or shuld I make one last trip?[/quote]

Depends. Are we talking for flipping or for keeping?

BBV has a better selection of newer, current gen games available for the B1G1. HWV has a selection of rarer titles to keep for cheaper.

In terms of flipping, if you have BBV credit to burn, then I'd use that over cash flips with HWV at this point. I'd imagine that your HWV is pretty dry right now. I know mine is dead. The profit margin is pretty comparable for the two, with HWV having a slight edge if you get lucky with game selection. BBV is more of a guaranteed thing.

[quote name='twen']Anyone find it hilarious that the 3.99 HWV and the 10/20/30% Gamestop promos end at the same time?[/quote]

Personally, I'm pretty bummed about it.:cry:

It's been a good run, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back