Movie Gallery/HWV b1g1 free

Reaper0294

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just went to my local Movie Gallery today and they had a b1g1 free going on for all pre-played last-gen games. They didn't have a ton of games, mainly xbox/ps2/gc and a couple of wii games.

There is no price-limit on this sale. Buy a $50 and get another $50 game if you can actually find two $50 games there.

Picked up Oddworld: Strangers Wrath and Conker: Live and Reloaded for Xbox. Got them for $10 total. Was looking for Oddworld from before but also was interested in Conker. Thought they could maybe be sold for more but after looking I think only Live and Reloaded might be able to be.

I've also been told by a few others that it's going on for Hollywood Video as well.

Attention
When buying from Movie Gallery especially, ask to see the disc before you leave the store. I did receive a receipt and they said if it didn't work to bring it back, but no reason to leave only to have to just immediately come back, right?

Games may also not come in the original case, or even have instructions. If you absolutely have to have these, be sure and ask before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to HWV and MG and this sale was on at both. There was no dollar restriction, I picked up Baulder's Gate: DA2 for $17.99 and got MGS:Twin Snakes for free ($14.99). I was going to post but I was afraid of the repost police. :roll:

Anyway, Force Unleashed for ps3 and 360 had the $14.99 new sticker on them so I guess that sale is back on. Also, they give $19.50 for the Singstar Vol. 2 bundle. I was able to get 2 new and sealed copies of Shadow of Rome (ps2) at 2 different stores.

I was able to get Resident Evil on the DS for $14.99 here recently so check HWV and MG out for rare sealed games.

I'm envious of you people with Movie Galleries that actually have good used games. It's the closest video rental store to my house so I frequent the place and they've been having this B1G1 on Xbox/GC/PS2 for a while now. The problem is that their selection has consisted precisely of the following for at least the past two years:

10+ copies of Aquaman (Xbox)
20+ copies of NHL 2K5 (Xbox)
3 copies of MLB Power Pros (PS2)
Nascar: Dirt to Daytona (GC)
Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox)
Extremely faded, manual-less, sticker-plastered-to-hell copies of Kirby: Air Ride, Burnout 2, and Killer 7 (GC)
A copy of Mario Party 5 with coaster circles and coffee stains

Needless to say, I've never purchased a game from Movie Gallery. Strangely enough, they accept pre-orders for a select few AAA releases and, for whatever reason, have a lonely new copy of SimAnimals for the DS in a case at the front desk. I wish they'd just go ahead and liquidate their entire supplies of last-gen stuff at once, as I really want their copies of Ico and Pikmin 2.

Yea, mine has been completely terrible usually. I'm incredibly surprised they had those two games, as those were the only ones I would have bought.

Also didn't see a dollar restriction at mine. So I'm assuming it's not happening at any of them.

Also did anybody else's not come in a real case? Mine came in like the Movie Gallery rental box with what seems like a paper cut out of the front and back of them. One came with instructions, one didn't.

[quote name='fwbweux']
Needless to say, I've never purchased a game from Movie Gallery. Strangely enough, they accept pre-orders for a select few AAA releases and, for whatever reason, have a lonely new copy of SimAnimals for the DS in a case at the front desk. I wish they'd just go ahead and liquidate their entire supplies of last-gen stuff at once, as I really want their copies of Ico and Pikmin 2.[/QUOTE]

The Movie Gallery closest to me just went out of business, all the 360/ps3 games were shipped back to HQ, only games in the quality you mentioned were left, and for super high priced. A handful of Wii games were left, mostly ones that no one would want, as well, most of the good last gen games were either sold out within the first day or back to corp. So I wouldn't hold my breath on them selling nextgen games or getting those games for awhile :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Reaper0294']
Also did anybody else's not come in a real case? Mine came in like the Movie Gallery rental box with what seems like a paper cut out of the front and back of them. One came with instructions, one didn't.[/QUOTE]

The replacement of normal cases/manuals with the Movie Gallery generic case was always pretty random at my Movie Gallery. I guess they just got replaced as games returned in a horrible enough shape that disposing of the original case was warranted. Considering that the used games in their original cases at my Movie Gallery already look like they were treated like complete ass, though, I can't even imagine what could be worse. Microwaves? Shredders?

They came in two distinct flavors, too--one was a red and orange case with the Movie Gallery logo and the name of the game on it, the other retained the game's original boxart but had a purple spine with the game's title in generic font and a back cover listing the game's controls. The latter kind always came without an original manual.

[quote name='Nameless600']The Movie Gallery closest to me just went out of business, all the 360/ps3 games were shipped back to HQ, only games in the quality you mentioned were left, and for super high priced. A handful of Wii games were left, mostly ones that no one would want, as well, most of the good last gen games were either sold out within the first day or back to corp. So I wouldn't hold my breath on them selling nextgen games or getting those games for awhile :([/QUOTE]

Yes, their used game prices are pretty awful, and it was often made worse by the fact that they would often have B1G1 on $4.99 or less used games when they would never have games under $20. My hopes for them actually liquidating the rest of their last-gen stock any time soon are pretty low--after all, my Movie Gallery had NES games for rent until 2002.

[quote name='fwbweux'] It's the closest video rental store to my house so I frequent the place and they've been having this B1G1 on Xbox/GC/PS2 for a while now. The problem is that their selection has consisted precisely of the following for at least the past two years:

10+ copies of Aquaman (Xbox)

Needless to say, I've never purchased a game from Movie Gallery.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, those copies of Aquaman are tempting...

thanks for the post op.
151l1259.jpg

I think you can change the title of the thread to Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery. I was just at a HWV and they had signs for the sale. Nothing worth picking up as I cleaned them out during the $3.99 sale.

Edited post/Title with HWV and a warning about disc quality.

I checked mine though and they seem to be pretty good. Not a lot of people rent from the one near me though, so that could be why.

Thanks for the additional info everybody. :)

Dang, these places are good to check just for the deals on new games. I bought Resident Evil Deadly Silence on the DS for $14.99 (new and sealed). GTA San Andreas Xbox (new and sealed) $18.99. I saw a sign on Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia DS for $19.99.

signs at the hollywood video near me said that this sale was limited to last-gen games only. ps2, xbox and gamecube. no price restrictions, but does not work on current gen games.

My HWV still has some PS1 and N64 games. They also have a fair selection of last-gen games. I'll definitely check it out to fill in some holes in my collection.

Maybe we can hope for another 3.99 clearance sale, $120 turned into $500 of GS credit

I'll have to go to mine this weekend.

Picked up Panzer Dragoon Orta and Mister Mosquito for $5 total today.. those were the only two noteworthy games they had. Had lots of copies of Malice left (which used to be awesome FYE trade fodder, but sadly not any longer).

And according to the clerk, this deal ends tomorrow.

[quote name='fwbweux']Extremely faded, manual-less, sticker-plastered-to-hell copies of Kirby: Air Ride[/QUOTE]

I need a cheap-ass copy of that... ;)

[quote name='Rollobobo']Do these deals apply at Gamecrazy as well???[/QUOTE]

Not sure, the nearest one to me is about an hour and 15 minutes away, i'd recommend stopping by and or calling the nearest one to you and checking..

Went there today and they weren't having the sale. The guy working told me today is the first day of a new sale. Buy 3 for $15 of any game priced $7.99 and under. So that sale pretty much sucks because there are very very few games priced under that.

[quote name='kube00']this still going on?[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, it's been going on ever since the 'Last Gen $3.99 sale' ended in January

The signage for the sale put its end date on the 8th or the 9th. Can't remember which, and every store got that same sign, so it's supposed to be over. Have not checked since then, though.

[quote name='manthing']From what I've seen, it's been going on ever since the 'Last Gen $3.99 sale' ended in January[/QUOTE]

Same for my store, there isn't even an end date on it.

This is still up on the Movie Gallery website under 'Specials and Promotions'. Has anyone seen/used this in store lately?

2 Hollywood Videos went out of business, or are currently in the process of going out of business. The one right down the street had 50% off everything in the store and I found a copy of Lair for $19 new, so I got it for just over $9. Now all the good sales they have are gonna suck for me kinda. There's a Movie Gallery like 20 min south of me and 10 min north. Plus there's a MG and a HWV like 40 min north of me.

bread's done
Back