Movie Gallery Stores Closing--Rentals for Sale

momshotdad

CAGiversary!
i just got back from my local movie gallery that is closing down (along with 700 other stores is what the clerk dude told me) and they have officially put all of their rentals up for sale at 40% off across the board. i walked out with bayonetta for $27.99 and socom for $7.99 definitly worth checking out.

Edit: not all stores are closing sorry for mixing you guys up. heres a link: http://www.costar.com/News/Article.aspx?id=10437D6BA278AA3603957BEC58AE4893

Last edited by a moderator:
well, moviegallery.com is down for the moment. Maybe it's true.

Edit. They announced bankruptcy over a month ago. I thought this meant that they were only closing 700 of their stores.

Did you actually read that link? First, it's a month old, and second, it says they are closing 856 out of approx 2,600 stores. Not all of them.

That article was posted in February, for one thing, and it states that 800+ of the 2000+ stores would be closing. The OP explicitly states that ALL of them are closing.

EDIT: Above poster beat me to it.

OP needs to change title to reflect that not ALL stores are closing down. I did forget to check the one that is 30 seconds from my house though, so I guess I have plans after work!

[quote name='DJP519']Did you actually read that link? First, it's a month old, and second, it says they are closing 856 out of approx 2,600 stores. Not all of them.[/QUOTE]
I was joking about being the 801st store, jeez.

uh wrong. plus the 2600 stores also includes the purchase of hollywood video as well...so its not just movie galleries in that 800 count.

I am an employee of Movie Gallery in Georgia.
Yes, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in late February, and SOME stores are in fact closing as part of the necessary liquidation of under-performing stores.

Guys, PLEASE make sure you get the employees to let you look at the discs.
These are rental products after all.
Most are lightly to severely damaged.
In fact, we don't check the condition of discs until a customer complains, at which point they are given a refund.

Got one closing in my area, games are rediculousy overpriced for a place going out of business. You say you got bayonetta for 27.99? its priced 49.99 at mine. Only thing i bought there were some Wii/ps3 cases for 10 cents each, some of the wii ones still had the club nintendo codes inside.

Chewbacca's Abortion;6918783 said:
I was joking about being the 801st store, jeez.

Well, now you must be the 857th store. :D

Edit: And the comment was directed at the guys who posted the link, not at you.

[quote name='mitnosi']Got one closing in my area, games are rediculousy overpriced for a place going out of business. You say you got bayonetta for 27.99? its priced 49.99 at mine. Only thing i bought there were some Wii/ps3 cases for 10 cents each, some of the wii ones still had the club nintendo codes inside.[/QUOTE]

I just checked the one by me and the prices need to severly come down if they expect to sell anything.

When I went to my local Movie Gallery, everything but the new releases were for sale. It may just be the local branches plan to sell or trade in their new release items, or perhaps they are on sale now but weren't before. I will check my local Movie Gallery again Sunday, just in case I can pick something up.

Damn. My store is closing.

Off topic: How the hell is Blockbuster still in business?

Yeah they are definitely NOT all closing but a lot of them are--in fact, I visited three in my area just yesterday and all were 40% off across the board. I am so broke.

[quote name='Trix']Damn. My store is closing.

Off topic: How the hell is Blockbuster still in business?[/QUOTE]

They have a Netflix-like service, which also allows you to bring in your movies to a retail location to exchange for another, rather than being forced to wait for shipping. Also, their buildings tend to be cleaner and more well-maintained (around me, at least). They even have a monthly game renting option, where you get one game out at a time for something like $21, and can exchange it for another as often as you can make it back to their store. I'm actually considering trying it out as Gamefly's shipping times seem to be pretty bad around me.

Movie Gallery, however, isn't updating their business at all, and, with Netflix, Redbox, and Blockbuster filling the gaps for various renting demographics, there's just no real room for them.

I bought xbox 360 Smarter than a 5th Grader for 12$, 2 days ago and had them price about 10 games, their used price without the discount was 59.99 for 9 of the 10 games.

Maybe when the 60% discount kicks in I'll revisit the store.

Looking at the stock and financing, the management, the state of media rental stores, and the general pattern and feel of the company, Movie Gallery (which includes Hollywood Video) is going under. They are probably not smart enough to realize they should just ditch rentals.

Mark my words, unfortunately they are going the way of Circuit City and CompUSA.

Walked out of my Hollywood Video with Darksiders for $24. Now that's awesome! The most expensive game they had was Smackdown vs RAW 2010 for 30. I also got Iron Man on Bluray for $9 and Gamer for $12. The guy said $12 was the highest price he'd seen for Blurays. DVDs say 3 for 5 but what they mean is 3 for 5 EACH or 3 for 15. Otherwise I think they're like 7 bucks if you just by one but I dunno... the whole damn thing is confusing as hell and almost nothing is price marked. Dunno about your guys' local stores but mine had a TON of 360 games to choose from. PS3 section was rather cleaned out though.

Ok, back from my local store. I don't think my store got the memo that they are being closed very soon. 1) eveyone is happy and 2) they are still renting movies and games. Is there an official date for each store to close?

[quote name='Trastan']They have a Netflix-like service, which also allows you to bring in your movies to a retail location to exchange for another, rather than being forced to wait for shipping. Also, their buildings tend to be cleaner and more well-maintained (around me, at least). They even have a monthly game renting option, where you get one game out at a time for something like $21, and can exchange it for another as often as you can make it back to their store. I'm actually considering trying it out as Gamefly's shipping times seem to be pretty bad around me.

[/QUOTE]

think Blockbuster is on the slow decline to extinction too. They just changed their 'netflix' type deal where if you get the discs from your local store you WILL be charged a late fee after 5 days. They keep changing their deals all the time. A sure sign of struggling to find a 'magic' forumla.

[quote name='Trix']Ok, back from my local store. I don't think my store got the memo that they are being closed very soon. 1) eveyone is happy and 2) they are still renting movies and games. Is there an official date for each store to close?[/QUOTE]

Only select stores are closing. Go to their website and do a store locator for your zip code. It will tell you which in your area are closing.

[quote name='Metroid64']Only select stores are closing. Go to their website and do a store locator for your zip code. It will tell you which in your area are closing.[/QUOTE]

They barely update their website anymore. They still have a store saying that its up and running with normal hours. And that store has been closed for 5 months.

I know the store that's near me is on the list:
http://www.costar.com/webimages/watchlist/mgleasecans.pdf

I just wanted to know if there is any global closing date.

for the guy with the 49.99 bayonetta are u sure the discount was taken off? It might just be priced at 50 but once u take it up to the counter it gets discounted

[quote name='DragynFyre']for the guy with the 49.99 bayonetta are u sure the discount was taken off? It might just be priced at 50 but once u take it up to the counter it gets discounted[/QUOTE]

Not sure, might check back with them. I'd assume that was the price for it because all other items in store had signs above them saying what the price was and for games, the only price there was what was individually put on each case.

Fayetteville AR store is closing tomorrow. Went by a couple days ago and prices were not great, but i did pick up a copy of Zack & Wiki for $6 and The Kingdom on DVD for $4. :)

Hmm, might have to check this out. I have a couple stores that are close-ish to me. Gonna call ahead to see if they are having a discount and if its decent. Not going to do a 40 minute drive and find out that their prices are outrageous.

Ummmmm....you guys do realize that there's already a Hollywood Video thread, even though that was mainly being used for HWV deals.

It's located here for those of you who want to keep all of this 'deal' discussion going in ONE thread instead of 90.

Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery are two different places aren't they? In any case I do not have Hollywood Video in my area.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery are the same company. Just Google Hollywood Video Movie Gallery merger for more info.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they are run as separate entities. They need separate threads.

[quote name='mitnosi']Not sure, might check back with them. I'd assume that was the price for it because all other items in store had signs above them saying what the price was and for games, the only price there was what was individually put on each case.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Bayonetta yesterday from a closing Movie Gallery. It was marked at 49.99 and rang up at 29 something. The 40% off was applied at the register.

[quote name='Metroid64']Yes, but they are run as separate entities. They need separate threads.[/QUOTE]

The fact that many of the game sales($5 mega sale, 3 for $15 and so on)were run across both Movie Gallery AND Hollywood Video stores says otherwise.

Mind you, some of those sales were NOT available universally at EVERY store in the corporation, but that was a decision made by corporate I suppose.

Besides which, the discussion of these closing sales in the Hollywood Video store deal thread goes under the radar(thus assuring that many of us will actually get a deal)and thus stops people from hoarding/raping the ever loving shit out of this 'deal' by it being widely publicized in its own seperate thread like this.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The fact that many of the game sales($5 mega sale, 3 for $15 and so on)were run across both Movie Gallery AND Hollywood Video stores says otherwise.

Mind you, some of those sales were NOT available universally at EVERY store in the corporation, but that was a decision made by corporate I suppose.

Besides which, the discussion of these closing sales in the Hollywood Video store deal thread goes under the radar(thus assuring that many of us will actually get a deal)and thus stops people from hoarding/raping the ever loving shit out of this 'deal' by it being widely publicized in its own seperate thread like this.[/QUOTE]
Well said Cheapest and most of us realize that HWV and Movie gallery are basically the same thing and follow the other thread.

My local movie gallery had 60 percent off all games, i picked up red faction, nba 2k10, ghostbusters and riddick dark athena, i also picked up a couple of ps2 games that were really cheap.

[quote name='blissskr']Well said Cheapest and most of us realize that HWV and Movie gallery are basically the same thing and follow the other thread.[/QUOTE]

Come on now. There are plenty of companies that are owned by the same company, or merged, that no one refers to as one in the same. You don't say Taco Bell and mean KFC. You don't say Kmart and go to Sears. You don't go to Sam's Club and think you can get the same deal at Walmart. You don't go to the mall saying you need to get some new shoes at The Finish Line and go to Lids.

Point being, they are two separate brands, two separate entities. You may think that most people know the difference between the two, but most CAGers don't even post in the threads. I for one would never go to Hollywood Video and ask if they are Movie Gallery, nor did I know they were one in the same.

Ultimately though, it's up to the mods to decide if there are two separate threads needed or not. If they feel the need to merge both threads, then they will do it. If the threads do get merged, I suggest that Movie Gallery gets added to the thread title.

i think all of the hollywood videos in fort wayne closed.... went out to blockbuster on dupont and the hollywood video one out there was pitch black inside...

The Movie Gallery in my small town of St. Francis, MN is closing on Thurs. I'm going back tomorrow to see if they've marked the games down from 30% to 40% or more. I doubt it will be too picked over, because this is an out of the way place of only 7000 people, at least 20 minutes from any major town.

[quote name='Trix']Damn. My store is closing.

Off topic: How the hell is Blockbuster still in business?[/QUOTE]

Matter of time.

My Movie Gallery is staying open because they have a sweet rental agreement, likely be one of the last to close.

[quote name='josh62488']how old is that list?
all the hollywoods on the list in my area have been closed for years[/QUOTE]

the pdf looks like its from before Christmas. I recognize some of the stores closing from that round of closures, but it doesn't have the newest round that happened about 3 weeks ago, or the ones that might be happening in the next few days. Check hollywoodvideo.com and do the store locator to see if there are any doing "Going out of Business" sales around you. That list there is useless.

HWV and Movie Gallery are the same entity, BUT some of the closing stores aren't part of the company any more. Some of them (all of the ones around me in So Cal) were sold off to a liquidation company. Deals vary from store to store, i hit the one up in Riverside off Chicago and got older movies at 3 for $15, but the one in Perris is 3 for $18 on older. Picked up Xbox Metal Arms Glitch in the System and Call of Cthulu for $3 a pop.

I just used the store locator on Movie Gallery's website and under certain stores it says Closing Sale - Savings Storewide. Might be a way for everyone to find out what stores are indeed closing. Sorry if this has already been posted.

bread's done
Back