Movie Gallery to close 400 MORE stores-FIRST POST UPDATED WITH LINK TO LIST OF STORES

Cool, only 3 closing in OR and I know 2 of those aren't GC locations. I don't think the 3rd one is either but I'm not positive. In any case, I've never been to any of those particular stores. So I'm good... for now...

By the way, since this isn't a current "Deal" I'm moving this thread to the "Deal/Shopping Discussion" forum.

[quote name='GBmanNC']Good news everyone, I found a list of store closings! Got link from dvd talk http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0733849/0733849080204000000000013.pdf
If theres a game crazy attached its probably closing too.[/quote]
If that list is true, that's pretty damn strange for my area.

All the stand alone stores besides one(which is in a high traffic area full of old people) are closing. None of the ones that contain a Game Crazy are closing, but it's probably cause those stores are actually turning a profit due to GC.

It's not just MG/HV that are having trouble adjusting to online rentals. Family Video actually closed up a couple stores around here too. Although I cleaned them out of all their decent games, since all games were $8 each.

Wonder if Blockbuster will start closing another batch of stores soon? Seems like they're hurting too, but not as bad as Movie Gallery.

Is that what happened? Huh. The Movie Gallery across the street closed down, but I was too late in noticing, and all the good games and movies were gone already. Now there's only a couple of Blockbusters nearby.

[quote name='Warner1281']For those looking for what stores are closing...

77 stores closing (supposed to start February 25th)
http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0733849/0733849080131000000000006.pdf

the other 400 closures (have until April 29th unless the stores become profitable)
http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0733849/0733849080204000000000013.pdf[/quote]

So the 77 stores are definetly closing starting on the 25 and the 400 are probably closing over the next couple months if I understand that right?

I visited a Game Crazy that is on the 400 store list today. They told me that they were closing down on 17 Feb and would re-open on 20 Feb in close-out mode. They told me that they would stay open until everything was gone. Also, all game systems will be shipped out before the 20 Feb re-opening.

[quote name='GBmanNC']So the 77 stores are definetly closing starting on the 25 and the 400 are probably closing over the next couple months if I understand that right?[/quote]

The 77 stores have until Feb. 25th to operate business as usual. On the 26th, they have to start liquidation processes. Ditto with the 400, but with a April 29th date. The majority of stores will probably start liquidating before then, as they aren't profitable, so it's not worth it for Movie Gallery to drag it on for months.

Looks like I lose a few around the St. Louis area. I have to check and see if they're Hollywood Video, GameCrazy or combo stores.

Hmmm... Yeah, both lists combined means 7 stores in the Portland area are closing. The thing is, there are a few on there I didn't even know existed and I am near them all the time. I'm guessing that is a contributing factor to their closures - they must be in bad spots in what are otherwise some prime areas. I know for sure they didn't have GC's anyway, so no big deal. I don't think any of the 7 are GC stores, actually, though I'm not sure on 1 or 2.

[quote name='Lice']So they are closing, are they having sales? I checked the list and there is one in my town. Go figure.[/quote]

It'll be a small percentage at first(like 20%), then it'll get bigger the closer it gets to the store actually closing.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I have one down the road from me. Time to keep an eye out. do game crazy credits transfer from store to store?[/quote]

Yep, but you have to talk to the one you have the credit at. It takes a day or two, but it'll show up at the other store.

I guess we'll have to keep our eyes open for deals, might have to go home during Spring Break and check out a few of the stores in the portland area....

my local store in San diego is closing and all games are 15.00 but only crap. No used deals either. Very strange. Even game vault games were 15 each.

For the record, don't even waste your time with Hollywood clearance Sales. They close the store for 3 days prior, clear out EVERYTHING from Game Crazy, and just about all the Video Game Rentals from Hollywood, and only sell the rental DVDs, 12 dollars for newer titles and 8 for older ones. To this I say bah!

I went to a Game Crazy/Hollywood Video last Sunday. All games and DVD's were 25% off. Now this was off the regular Game Crazy prices. In the Hollywood section they put all rental games at $19.99 minus the 25% off, so they became $14.99. All rental DVD's were listed at $9.99 minus 25% off, so they were $7.49. I overheard that the discounts would increase pretty soon.

[quote name='spmahn']For the record, don't even waste your time with Hollywood clearance Sales. They close the store for 3 days prior, clear out EVERYTHING from Game Crazy, and just about all the Video Game Rentals from Hollywood, and only sell the rental DVDs, 12 dollars for newer titles and 8 for older ones. To this I say bah![/quote]
I picked up a ton of great stuff at my closing HV during the last closings for 3-5$ each. Out of print stuff, rare stuff, and some never used perfect condition! The prices go down usually every week. Just go to your store and hide the good stuff behind big mammas house 2 or whatever, than when the prices drop alot, profit! All closing stores start with high prices because ppl are stupid and go buy crazy when they see "closing sale" even if it was 10% off. I got most of my stuff around 70% off

[quote name='Toren']I work at GameCrazy and believe me, there's no threat of us going out. We're the reason that there's really an profit going to MovieGallery. And yes, we are guaranteed to be around for a long time.

In fact, we're actually expanding our stores until the end of 2011. The 400 stores that are being taken down are unprofitable Hollywoods. Those GameCrazy's that are connected to the closing Hollywood's are actually being moved to a separate building and being expanded (as are most of the other GameCrazy's).

Believe me guys, we're not going anywhere.[/quote]

I hope not. My stock had better go back up! :bomb:

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I have one down the road from me. Time to keep an eye out. do game crazy credits transfer from store to store?[/quote]

They'll put it on a gift card for you.

[quote name='Toren']I work at GameCrazy and believe me, there's no threat of us going out. We're the reason that there's really an profit going to MovieGallery. And yes, we are guaranteed to be around for a long time.

In fact, we're actually expanding our stores until the end of 2011. The 400 stores that are being taken down are unprofitable Hollywoods. Those GameCrazy's that are connected to the closing Hollywood's are actually being moved to a separate building and being expanded (as are most of the other GameCrazy's).

Believe me guys, we're not going anywhere.[/quote]

I brought this up with the Game Crazy staff I'm friendly with and nobody said this was happening. 2/3rd's of them are losing their jobs and the rest are being transfered to stores that are located miles away. I would think that at least the new games would be kept for these new stores or sent to the remaining Game Crazy stores in the area and not cleared out if this was the case.

I see my local Movie Gallery is going to survive. Aside from a mom and pop video rental/tanning salon that is all we have in my small town. I never visit them though, either gamefly or netflix have pushed me away from them. The lines are always too long becuase someone is arguing about late fees. You have only a few choices for entertainment around here, rent a movie/game, drink yourself stupid, drive 45 minutes to another town, and... well... breeding. I wish they would lower their prices some though, by the time I rent a movie from them I have almost paid half the price of the thing new. The only place to buy anything near me electronics wise is a Wal-Mart and a Radio Shack. Sometimes MG has pretty decent deals on preplayed movies and games, nothing spectacular or worth posting mind you.

[quote name='mogamer']I brought this up with the Game Crazy staff I'm friendly with and nobody said this was happening. 2/3rd's of them are losing their jobs and the rest are being transfered to stores that are located miles away. I would think that at least the new games would be kept for these new stores or sent to the remaining Game Crazy stores in the area and not cleared out if this was the case.[/QUOTE]

I heard that Gc may be spinning off as their own company...

I'm not in the least bit shocked that a ton of Movie Galleries are closing. Everytime I went to the Movie Gallery near my house (believe me, if I had a Blockbuster or darn near anything else close to my house, I would have chosen it over Movie Gallery) they didn't have what I wanted, didn't even know what movie I was talking about, didn't understand how to use their OWN COMPUTER SYSTEMS, or the employees were so enthusiastic it was almost frightening.

Now, I'm not getting on an employees case cause they're extremely helpful or act like they actually want to help me/be at work - no, what I'm talking about is when they go from "Nice employee mode" to "Holy hell, this person is freaking me out - I need to leave the store and NOW."

Seriously, one time I went to Movie Gallery, and as I was checking out, the dude behind the counter started telling me about how he used to work for Pixar and he was one of the guys behind the movie Cars, and blah blah blah. Honestly, if this guy had truly been one of the creators of Cars (or even someone who originally pitched the idea to Pixar and Disney), do you really think he'd be working at Movie Gallery (Not even a nice Movie Gallery - one of the extra hardcore junky ones)?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

my local gc is going under, i dont have any idea what to look for, looks like i am going for a bike ride this weekend

by then it will be about 20% off? there should be some decent stuff right. ill wait a bit and go back so that way i can get some decent cheap stuff. hopefully i get a few 360 games

bread's done
Back