Movie Sequel Thread

Derwood43

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I had a discussion with a co-worker today. It really got me thinking.

The conversation was this; what sequel was equal to, or surpassed it's predecessor? The first that came up was Star Wars V. It was equally as good as episode IV.

My question to CAG is just that. Name some sequels, in your opinion, that rival the original.

Besides the ones mentioned above...I always thought Predator 2, Ghostbusters 2, Odd Couple 2, and Gremlins 2 were equal or better then their first movie.

[quote name='Scahom1']Besides the ones mentioned above...I always thought Predator 2, Ghostbusters 2, Odd Couple 2, and Gremlins 2 were equal or better then their first movie.[/QUOTE]

I always felt that the original Ghostbusters was better than the second. The comedy came out a lot easier.

[quote name='evilmax17']I thought Spiderman 2 was better than 1.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that one. I'd also say that the second XMen movie was better than the first (although not quite the leap the SpiderMan movies saw).

Road Warrior
Aliens
Superman 2 (got horrible after this)
Rush Hour 2
Friday the 13th pt 2 (beats part 1 imo)
Evil Dead 2 (if you consider it a sequel)
Silence of the Lambs (same here)
Dawn of the Dead (suprised no one mentioned this one earlier)

[quote name='Scahom1']Besides the ones mentioned above...I always thought Predator 2, Ghostbusters 2, Odd Couple 2, and Gremlins 2 were equal or better then their first movie.[/QUOTE]

Gremlins 2 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gremlins 2, ughhhh

[quote name='ryanbph']Spider Man 2 > Spider man[/QUOTE]
I disagree with that right there. Spider-Man 2 did nothing that made it any better than 1. It's just as good as the first, which was a little disappointing, but it fits the thread.

Lethal Weapon 2 > Lethal Weapon
Hot Shots! Part Deux > Hot Shots!
Rambo > First Blood
Superman II > Superman
Grumpier Old Men > Grumpy Old Men

I know most are shitty movies but beter then the first. IMHO

The clasic sequels have been argued enough, so I like to list the shitty sequels to shitty movies. I will add more when I think of them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I disagree with that right there. Spider-Man 2 did nothing that made it any better than 1. It's just as good as the first, which was a little disappointing, but it fits the thread.[/QUOTE]
I thought Doc Ock was perfectly adapted to the screen, and better represented than the GG was, plus the special effects and action sequences were better.

Just saying.

[quote name='evilmax17']I thought Doc Ock was perfectly adapted to the screen, and better represented than the GG was, plus the special effects and action sequences were better.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]

yeah, doc ock is a billion times cooler than the green goblin and the plot and everything else was better in spiderman 2, IMO

[quote name='The Truth']Episode III > Episode I[/QUOTE]

true, but that's like saying you're the best of the losers.

Shrek 2 > Shrek 1

[quote name='evilmax17']I thought Doc Ock was perfectly adapted to the screen, and better represented than the GG was, plus the special effects and action sequences were better.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]
The timing was really weird IMO. It either seemed too short or too long. They could've added some stuff or shortened it to make it better. It just didn't do anything to make me believe it was better. It's a great movie, just not any better than the first.

The Devil's Rejects > House of 1000 Corpses

(although they'd be better as one film) Kill Bill, vol.2 > Kill Bill, vol.1

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly > For a Few Dollars More > Fistful of Dollars

Batman > Batman Forever > Batman Returns > Batman & Robin

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man

Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Back to the Future > Back to the Future III > Back to the Future II

Hi, Mom! > Greetings...

[quote name='mookiemeister']I like X-Men 2 a little better than X-Men.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the first X-Men. I would have to say they are equal.

The whole water in a tunnel scene is a bit played out.

[quote name='ElfAngel7']Shrek 2 > Shrek 1[/QUOTE]

No freaking way! Shrek was great - Shrek 2 just didn't do it for me... in 10 years no one will understand any of the jokes because there were too many current pop culture references...

[quote name='basketkase543']X-Men 2 was SOOO much better than X-Men 1, which always felt a little too short and incomplete.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember that with X-Men 1 they have a TON of backstory to get the audience caught up on. They weren't just trying to reach comic book readers, but a generalized action audience. They had to tell a story they could understand.

bread's done
Back