Movies that make you think?

linkpwns

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind yesterday, and it was amazing. I loved it. I'm looking for other movies that will get me thinking, any suggestions?

[quote name='Eviltude']I hated Arlington Road. The plot was decent but the acting was horrid.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I suppose some of it's over the top, especially in today's post-9/11 society. But I thought the plot was really thought provoking.

A few others I thought of:
- American History X
- Sophie's Choice (which is a bit tough to get into, but once you get to the "choice" you'll have a hard time not thinking about it)

[quote name='Rocko']Eraserhead and Mullholland Drive, from what I've heard.[/quote]

I hate david Lynch...SOOOO Much

Blue Velvet was decent, well okay it was good...But David lynch and his films can go fly a kite

For me the movies are:

The Iron Giant
Pi
The Third Man
A Touch of Evil
Saving Private Ryan
Flags of our father/Letter from Iwo Jima
Apocolypse now
Full Metal Jacket

Serenity. mainly because of how those cannibal people were created. when you think about it maybe thats why people ( especially young people ) are the way they are now days. you do one thing to try and suppress peoples natural ways make them docile and it works on some only to turn a small group of them very violent.

I can't believe no one mentioned Being John Malkovich. OP... It is a Spike Jonze/Charli Kaufman collaboration just as Eternal Sunshine was. It is slightly further out there as well (and funnier).

[quote name='jughead']I can't believe no one mentioned Being John Malkovich. OP... It is a Spike Jonze/Charli Kaufman collaboration just as Eternal Sunshine was. It is slightly further out there as well (and funnier).[/quote]

Is Being John Malkovich filmed in Black and White? IMDB has Black and White pics of it...

Memento is great, as is the Machinist, and Minority Report. Apparently I like movies that start with M.

Some other thinking-ish movies (depending on your definition of thinking) would be The Prestiege, The Illusionist, Fight Club, and Equilibrium.

[quote name='xcoax']Memento is great, as is the Machinist, and Minority Report. Apparently I like movies that start with M.

Some other thinking-ish movies (depending on your definition of thinking) would be The Prestiege, The Illusionist, Fight Club, and Equilibrium.[/quote]

I totally forgot about Memento, that is like my favorite movie ever. Really makes you think also.

Pleasantville.

Edit: I agree with the people who said Minority Report as well. It was fun for my brain.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']City of Lost Children, Dark City[/QUOTE]

Dark City is so underrated. I also vote for Momento, House of Flying Daggers, and Vanilla Sky, or the spanish version of it, I can't remember what it was called though.

"if you died today what would you wish you would have done." - Fight Club, it made me think plus its bad ass. I realized that its ok to get mad, to roll up your sleeves and defend yourself and voice your opinion louder than necessary. It also helped me realize the wossification of not only the US but the whole world. There is too much political correctness, too much fear of offending someone, and too much legal bs and exploitation in our world today. Everyone needs to man up to their mistakes and not dance around questions like a politician. We need to confront everything head on because if you spend too much time trying to find the right words or wait for an introduction then life and opportunity will pass you by and youll find yourself working the night shift in a convenience store. And im not talking about the terrorism that Fight Club portrayed as acceptable or necessary to improve society, that was just entertainment but the other stuff was good. Plus, Fight Club made me think of the last time I got into a fist fight...3 years ago. Time is just flying by.

[quote name='Dezuria']I still haven't seen Fight Club, but it sure sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

It really isn't which is why I'm kind of confused on why it's getting listed so much. Fight Club makes you think about as much as The Matrix does.

[quote name='Sporadic']It really isn't which is why I'm kind of confused on why it's getting listed so much. Fight Club makes you think about as much as The Matrix does.[/QUOTE]

"Tyler Durden, Brad Pitt's character in Fight Club, spouts nihilistic wisdoms throughout the film. His unique views do not mesh with that of his co-star, Edward Norton, who is living a boring life of routine and material pleasure. His complete lack of awareness leads him to dependency on what he has. When the two meet on an airplane, Norton's life is turned upside-down. He follows Durden's lead into a life that is void of responsibility to the institution. He destroys his ties to possessions and seeks enlightenment through the destruction of all that was. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. As the viewer, you witness Norton slowly lose all ties to society, and follow the path to destruction and disregard of social loyalties."

I just wanted to second Being John Malkovich. I can't believe I didn't mention it in my first post.

Another one that made me think.. (but others will probably scoff at) is The Butterfly Effect. One of my favorite movies..won't spoil anything so you can make your own impression :p

Also.. as for The Fountain.. strange movie to say the least. Funny that the director (can't remember his name offhand atm) said it was going to reinvent sci-fi like The Matrix. Guess that failed ;o

I think The Fountain failed because it was fucking boring. It put me to sleep and I wasn't even the least bit tired.

As far as the topic goes, the Matrix trilogy comes to mind. A lot of stuff in those movies that most people just don't notice while watching them.

yeah all of the dead movies ( day , dawn and night) as well as many fo the basic zombie movies that follow that premise make me think as well. just basically fi the dead did and do rise whats the best course of action. weapons to get places to get them , basic tools youd need to keep on you and more than one of them like can openers, maps a compas ect and places to go to to hide out till it passes over like aircraft carriers or islands and id only go to islands if i knew for a fact the dead wouldnt walk underwater. an aircraft carrier would be a last resort.

bread's done
Back