Moving Soon. What do I need to do / know?

Jess Stryker

Mama said to knock you out
Ok, so at the end of the month, I'm going to be moving (not by my own choice, but the house I live in with my dad is being foreclosed). Basically, I'm wondering what I need to know as far as maybe expenses or whatever else are concerned. I won't have to worry about housing or u-haul costs, but what about car registration and id and god knows what else. State in question is West Virginia (Martinsburg).

Also, if anybody down there knew what the job situation looked like, that would be awesome. Admittingly, I have awful luck when looking for jobs. I know there's Hagerstown to the North and Charles Town somewhere around there (although never been there), but outside of that, am pretty much clueless.

I spent a bit of time in that area--started my undergrad at Shepard University just outside of Martinsburg.

But that was 1997 and I only stayed 6 months as I hated the small college feel (felt like High School still) so I took the spring off and transferred to WVU. So I can't be of too much help.

I can't imagine the job market is great in that area. It sucks in WV in general, the eastern panhandle is probably the best part of the state job wise, but there's still not a lot there It's a fairly rich area for WV--but that's because there's a lot of people live there and work in DC (take the train).

Hagerstown and Charlestown are both pretty small. Frederick is a bit bigger, but is a little further away. DC job is an option if you don't mine the long commute. Not so bad if you take the train as you can read, work etc. But is long, I'd guess somewhere around 90 minutes each way with the stops etc.

Hope you or your dad are strong/have strong friends, cuz that shit's gonna be heavy. Be prepared for at least donuts/pop/water as snacks for them while you're moving, and then beer for the guys after you're done. And you'll also owe them one.

You don't really need a U-Haul so long as you've got dudes with trucks and trailers, but if you're already set on that, fine.

If it's only the two of you... Egh, well that won't be a fun few days of moving.

[quote name='packerfan10']Well one thing always when you move prepare to lose something. It almost always takes place.[/QUOTE]

As long as it's not my video games or computer related, fine by me. AKA - something of his. :razz:

[quote name='lokizz']if you hear banjos playing nearby run like hell and never look back.[/QUOTE]

Nice thing about being a metalhead, I can blare guitars louder than they can blare bluegrass.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I spent a bit of time in that area--started my undergrad at Shepard University just outside of Martinsburg.

But that was 1997 and I only stayed 6 months as I hated the small college feel (felt like High School still) so I took the spring off and transferred to WVU. So I can't be of too much help.

I can't imagine the job market is great in that area. It sucks in WV in general, the eastern panhandle is probably the best part of the state job wise, but there's still not a lot there It's a fairly rich area for WV--but that's because there's a lot of people live there and work in DC (take the train).

Hagerstown and Charlestown are both pretty small. Frederick is a bit bigger, but is a little further away. DC job is an option if you don't mine the long commute. Not so bad if you take the train as you can read, work etc. But is long, I'd guess somewhere around 90 minutes each way with the stops etc.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Charlestown is smaller than I remember. Of course, I only went there once years ago to see the races. For work commute, while Frederick is an option (I'm a little familiar with that area), I'd rather not drive the hour-ish for a retail job. I will if things get desperate, but I'd rather not go any further than a 30 minute drive if I don't have to (which leaves Hagerstown, Charlestown, Martinsburg, Shepardstown and maybe somewhere I'm missing.

And yeah, I'm not expecting much in the job market. Chambersburg (PA) was bad enough trying to find a job. I took a tour around Martinsburg, and admittingly, I was not inspired at all. At first glance at least, it looks like food, food, and not a whole lot else. And I have been in their mall once. It sucks just as bad as the one here. At least that one area is developing still (I think) around the mall, so maybe I'll get lucky there, but I doubt it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Hope you or your dad are strong/have strong friends, cuz that shit's gonna be heavy. Be prepared for at least donuts/pop/water as snacks for them while you're moving, and then beer for the guys after you're done. And you'll also owe them one.

You don't really need a U-Haul so long as you've got dudes with trucks and trailers, but if you're already set on that, fine.

If it's only the two of you... Egh, well that won't be a fun few days of moving.[/QUOTE]

It's me, him, his one friend, and I think two of my uncles. I don't plan to lift the heavy heavy stuff (that's what they're for), but yeah, I'm going to be exhausted. More so as I'll only be able to get two hours of sleep before hand if that. My awful endurance isn't going to help matters either.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Put a curse on the house before you leave it so the next sucka gets jinxed![/QUOTE]

The house has been cursed enough by me living here for most of my life. ;)

[quote name='JStryke']
Nice thing about being a metalhead, I can blare guitars louder than they can blare bluegrass.[/quote]

On a positive note, the Eastern Panhandle is easily the least "white trashy" part of the state. Still sucks though. I spent my first 23 years in WV and nothing could get me to move back. I'm a big city guy after 7+ years in the DC area and living in Atlanta now.

I'd rather not drive the hour-ish for a retail job. I will if things get desperate, but I'd rather not go any further than a 30 minute drive if I don't have to (which leaves Hagerstown, Charlestown, Martinsburg, Shepardstown and maybe somewhere I'm missing.

If you're just looking for a retail job, then you should be able to find something in those areas. There is (or were) a mall in Martinsburg and Hagerstown (both suck though), an outlet mall in between Hagerstown and Frederick (closer to Frederick I think), and plenty of chain stores, strip malls etc. throughout.

I was thinking more along the lines of white collar jobs, having a career in the area etc. That market is pretty tight, but shouldn't be that hard getting retail job, or a restaurant job etc. in that area. Though it will be tighter than usual like everywhere with the unemployment rate up still.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Put a curse on the house before you leave it so the next sucka gets jinxed![/QUOTE]

And make sure you burn some sagebrush in the new place...don't want any uninvited spirits hanging around....

[quote name='dmaul1114']On a positive note, the Eastern Panhandle is easily the least "white trashy" part of the state. Still sucks though. I spent my first 23 years in WV and nothing could get me to move back. I'm a big city guy after 7+ years in the DC area and living in Atlanta now.

If you're just looking for a retail job, then you should be able to find something in those areas. There is (or were) a mall in Martinsburg and Hagerstown (both suck though), an outlet mall in between Hagerstown and Frederick (closer to Frederick I think), and plenty of chain stores, strip malls etc. throughout.

I was thinking more along the lines of white collar jobs, having a career in the area etc. That market is pretty tight, but shouldn't be that hard getting retail job, or a restaurant job etc. in that area. Though it will be tighter than usual like everywhere with the unemployment rate up still.[/QUOTE]

I'm not looking at white collar yet, as honestly, I'm at a complete loss as far as what I want to do with my life (and at 21 on Friday, it feels like I'm slowly running out of time). And there is a mall in Martinsburg, but it's pretty bad. Not quite as bad as Chambersburg though, although very close. Hagerstown is a lot nicer, but I don't know if that's saying a whole lot.

For the outlet mall, I assume you mean the Prime Outlets. It's closer to Hagerstown, about 5 miles off of I-81 I believe. For unemployment, I know it's not good. Not sure about WV, but Washingtown County in MD is 11.5% or so last I saw a few weeks back. And even finding retail isn't easy. My last time I was unemployed (november of 08 - november of 09) was about a week shy of a full year. Safe to say, not looking forward to that at all.

[quote name='JStryke']
It's me, him, his one friend, and I think two of my uncles. I don't plan to lift the heavy heavy stuff (that's what they're for), but yeah, I'm going to be exhausted. More so as I'll only be able to get two hours of sleep before hand if that. My awful endurance isn't going to help matters either.[/QUOTE]

Two hours isn't going to be enough. Unless you're 100% for sure you'll only be taking small stuff, it's not worth the risk of carrying something and dropping it on yourself or someone else because you don't have enough stamina.

Is it really impossible to get a good night's sleep before each day of moving?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Two hours isn't going to be enough. Unless you're 100% for sure you'll only be taking small stuff, it's not worth the risk of carrying something and dropping it on yourself or someone else because you don't have enough stamina.

Is it really impossible to get a good night's sleep before each day of moving?[/QUOTE]

It is, because my resignation doesn't go into effect until May 5th (moving on the 1st). I tried setting it for the 30th, but it has to be 30 days and I kind of procrastinated on sending it in until the 5th. I was hoping the 5 days wouldn't matter, but oh well. Plus, I work graveyard shift (deliver newspapers) so I'll be getting home around 6, and he's looking to start between 8 or 9. And he said I have to help, so I'm screwed for sleep, at least in the morning / afternoon anyways.

I do actually. I usually get 4 hours of sleep before work (if I don't procrastinate), 4 or so after work.

bread's done
Back