Mowing (the Backlog) March

[quote name='MrshllJcb']We should add the pairing and game selections to the OP like in Feb and maybe take down the list. I dont have time now cause I'm off to work, but if nobody has a chance before i get back I'll try to do it later on today

edit. So I added the two pairings that I know of, which is me and SLofton, and Jugglenaut and Dr Sasquatch. If I got any of the games wrong please change it, and if there other pairings feel free to add your pairing as well. Also is it cool if we take down the vote so we can clear it up a bit?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for putting those up. I went ahead and took out the poll, but I am going to put it in spoilers here so people can see it or if someone wants it back to make it easier:

Ignore the poll! I found out that you cannot post edit.
Post your votes instead in thread and I will update the OP with the votes. Please notify which two games you are adding. Please do not add your votes by yourself.

Poll:
Borderlands 2 (aShufflinZombie): 5
Mafia II (aShufflinZombie): 2
Penny Arcade 1/2 (slofton): 2
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without A Pulse (Broken Cage): 1
Legend of Grimrock (Broken Cage): 4
Amnesia (slofton): 3
F.E.A.R. (Jugglenaut): 1
Cargo! A Quest for Gravity (Jugglenaut): 1
Batman: Arkham City (Junpei): 1
Mark of the Ninja (Junpei): 2
Darksiders (MrshllJcb): 1
Dead Island (viiral): 1
Bioshock 1/2 (viiral): 2
Hitman: Blood Money (red flar grafe): 1
Metro 2033 (red flar grafe): 1
To the Moon (Dr Sasquatch) 1
Total War: Rome (Dr Sasquatch) 1

Also, I got 100% on Eversion this morning. That game is totally awesome. At first I was like, this is kinda a nifty platformer and then stuff starts changing and the whole thing gets crazy, and I loved it. The game is fun just to play through, but some of the hidden letters and gems were incredibly tricky to get (in a fun way). I think the only things I looked up were the sixth hidden letter (I grew to hate that level), and the achievement for
messing with the game's files.

edit: Actually, just realized I could spoiler the poll in the first post, so I am going to do that in case people want to see it.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']
Also, I got 100% on Eversion this morning. That game is totally awesome. At first I was like, this is kinda a nifty platformer and then stuff starts changing and the whole thing gets crazy, and I loved it. The game is fun just to play through, but some of the hidden letters and gems were incredibly tricky to get (in a fun way). I think the only things I looked up were the sixth hidden letter (I grew to hate that level), and the achievement for
messing with the game's files.
[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you liked it. I think I had to look up 3 letters total. It really was a quick, fun little game.

I'm working on Borderlands, and I'm near the end, from what I gleaned off the story. Hoping to finish this up so I can devote time elsewhere on my list.

I played a little Borderlands 2 this weekend. I've already beaten it but I've got a lot of backlogged missions to do. Fooling around in The Dust, I ended up doing the gyro pilot/Top Gun mission.. The shirtless men in aviator shades cracked me up so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we spent more time talking about setting up the month than actually discussing games, but I'm gonna assume that means everyone is just busy mowing down their backlog.

I've been playing Tomb Raider a bit today and I am very very impressed with it. Im a sucker for pretty games with set pieces so its right up my alley.

I just decided to attack some games on my own and just post about it here. The first one I beat this month was Bad Rats. I will say it is not as awful a game as some make it out to be. The physics are off at times, but there was only 1 or 2 puzzles where I had a difficult time with them. Overall, not the worst of this style of game I've played and actually too easy for most of the game. Glad to get it out of the back log though since this was one of my first purchases during a steam sale many years ago.

I got a nice backlog of work that I wanted to get rid of before starting to crunch the other one... in the meantime, I started Batman and it's looking every inch as good as I was expecting.
Oh, and I also managed to complete Sonic the Fighters, but that was completely unintentional and it's not something I'm proud of... :whistle2:#

Been making some good progress on Borderlands 2, hopefully I can finish it up with weekend on my own. It's a bummer my co-op group isn't panning out for this, as I can tell I'd have a ton of fun with them, but I'm still having a great time going solo.

Been waiting for my Cori check to come through for my new job so picking up odd shifts at my old job her and there. This has given me a lot more gaming time and I've probably played for like 20 hours the past 5 days.

Getting close to beating Tomb Raider, and really impressed with it so far. It has a lot in common with Uncharted, but thats just because Uncharted is an evolution of what Tomb Raider started really. Tomb Raider is a lot more violent and dark than Uncharted, and definitely surprised me on that front. I got it just cause it was with Bioshock on one of the amd vouchers and I couldnt be more pleasantly surprised. I knew there was some hype surrounding this game, but I hadnt been sold on it before, but at this point I'd say its a great reboot of the series.

Been playing a ton of Wizorb. It is fun, but I can't figure out why. Oh well.

Booted up Sam and Max and that is going to be great. The voice acting and presentation is superb so far. I even like the first puzzle.

Also been playing some Borderlands 2. I am starting to remember why I stopped playing it the first time. There is a lot to like here, but the action feels kind of wonky to me, and there is a lot of downtime for a game about getting cool guns and shooting stuff with them. Almost at the end, I think.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Been playing a ton of Wizorb. It is fun, but I can't figure out why. Oh well.

Booted up Sam and Max and that is going to be great. The voice acting and presentation is superb so far. I even like the first puzzle.

Also been playing some Borderlands 2. I am starting to remember why I stopped playing it the first time. There is a lot to like here, but the action feels kind of wonky to me, and there is a lot of downtime for a game about getting cool guns and shooting stuff with them. Almost at the end, I think.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that you're enjoying Wizorb. I didn't enjoy it enough to 100% it, but I did keep playing after I beat it. I liked it just because it captured the breakout game feel so well, and the visuals are great.

Just beat Borderlands 2. Kinda glad I got through it, but it did start to feel like a chore by the end. Maybe I just need breaks between long play sessions of the game.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Booted up Sam and Max and that is going to be great. The voice acting and presentation is superb so far. I even like the first puzzle. [/QUOTE]

Sam and Max is really good. I liked Back to the Future: The Game for the same reasons.

I kinda went backwards.. I bought Aliens vs Predator 2010 from GamersGate and I've been playing that. :cry:

Just finished Tomb Raider and it was really really good. I actually didnt really want it to end, and definitely enjoyed it more than I had anticipated. Hoping to get to finish up Nazi Zombies tonight or tomorrow as well.

Just put in a half hour session into Cargo (after two 10 minute sessions earlier). Hard to put my finger on this game. It's taken me a bit to really start to "get it" if that makes any sense, but now that I feel like I have a better understanding of the game, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Hopefully I can get more time with it this week.

Beat Wizorb earlier tonight. I think I may go back sometime and pick up the rest of the achievements, but I will probably forget to. It was fun, though.

[quote name='red flare graf']A fellow failed backlog mower..[/QUOTE]

Even worse is that two of the games for my March Mowdown were just purchased (TR and Nazi Zombies) but I am looking to thin out the rest of it as well, I was actually not ever planning on grabbing TR but since I was willing to pay full price for Bioshock infinite I just grabbed one of the amd reloaded bundles of someone.

To ensure that I don't completely fail March I wanna make sure I beat Warhammer space Marines and Amnesia before Bioshock releases

[quote name='MrshllJcb']

To ensure that I don't completely fail March I wanna make sure I beat Warhammer space Marines and Amnesia before Bioshock releases[/QUOTE]

Ill be starting Amnesia Tuesday night. Got some new 5.1 headphones waiting for it

[quote name='slofton']Ill be starting Amnesia Tuesday night. Got some new 5.1 headphones waiting for it[/QUOTE]

Nice man, I have a pair of Turtle Beach X4's (for the 360) that I never use anymore that I will probably hook up for when I play Amnesia, it would be nice if they also worked for chat on the pc, but at least its digital optical (i think its called) so it plugs right into one of the rear port for surround sound audio.

Oh man, March mowed me well so far, I never saw so much work crammed in so thight deadlines since a good 10 years ago, but the cause back then was my inexperience that led me to do things while learning them... at least my bank account will rejoice :)

I managed to put some effort in Arkham City, though, with some ups and downs: I'm really starting to dislike the way they implemented subquests, as I found difficult to concentrate on the main storyline while hundreds of collectibles, rescue missions and timed races literally pour on me from everywhere. Plus, villains and Gotham's lore scattered as short stories unlocked by completing quests is cool but, seeing that you can fulfill objectives in any order you like, more often than not you end up with disjointed pieces of anecdotes that who knows when you will be able to complete. Seems like they desperately tried to cram as much Batman knowledge in the world as possible, and the ending result is a garbled mess.

However, my gripes stop here, as everything else really is breathtaking: jumping from building to building feels as you're the real Batman patrolling Gotham City's streets, and they made a very good choice in letting you start with all the gadgets collected in Arkham Asylum while raising the challenges' bar and introducing new power-ups... this way, it holds a true sense of sequel without resorting to the proverbial gimmick of having you stripped of all your powers and forcing you to collect 'em again like, for example, what's happened countless times in God of War.

Stealth sections are well done as ever, while being not too much different from the first game, but the introduction of new gadgets for guards too is a nice change of pace that can give you some other variables to plan your silent assault better.

And don't even get me started on combat, which tops what I already thought to be one of the best system for action adventures, and that makes Rocksteady's babies a better Assassin's Creed's games than the AC titles themselves: it almost feels like a really good rhythm game that involves pummeling tons of thugs, and the added options (multiple counters and stuns, armed enemies takedowns, beat downs, etc.) are fun and easy to use and hard to master.

So far so good, then! Hopefully I'll get to bite a good chunk off of this bad boy within next weekend :)

Really liking Closure so far. Digging all these neat puzzles. Ended up playing BL2 at a buddies house. We're going to be doing that there it seems. I think im about half way done.

I got about halfway through the first character (I think) in Closure and then my PS3 did the YLOD. Felt like I was getting bored with the puzzles, though, but maybe I just needed a break. I've fixed my PS3 since.

I made a huge mistake and purchase FTL earlier in the week. I havent played anything else since, but I do want to finish Warhammer and Sniper Elite before Bioshock is out

I know its still some weeks away, but I figured we could get a headstart on (Achieving?) April! I was thinking of a good way to kinda streamline the event and came up with this idea.

Everyone send me a PM of your top 30+ games you need/want to play from your backlog. It has to be atleast a yearish old or apart of a bundle. Something that's truly in a backlog. Playing newer game (Path of Exile for me lol) is a lot of fun, but we're looking to get rid of our back logs! I'll then make up a list of the 25 most owned backlog games. We can then vote for a community game or two that we can all play. (Maybe a medium and short game) We can also pair up with each other, if we decide to, for the always fun "Dude, you need to play THAT game!" I'll have a list ready to vote on by the 25th. Voting would then go from the 25th to the 31st. So, the sooner you send me a list, the better.

How does this sound to everyone?

[quote name='slofton']I know its still some weeks away, but I figured we could get a headstart on (Achieving?) April! I was thinking of a good way to kinda streamline the event and came up with this idea.

Everyone send me a PM of your top 30+ games you need/want to play from your backlog. It has to be atleast a yearish old or apart of a bundle. Something that's truly in a backlog. Playing newer game (Path of Exile for me lol) is a lot of fun, but we're looking to get rid of our back logs! I'll then make up a list of the 25 most owned backlog games. We can then vote for a community game or two that we can all play. (Maybe a medium and short game) We can also pair up with each other, if we decide to, for the always fun "Dude, you need to play THAT game!" I'll have a list ready to vote on by the 25th. Voting would then go from the 25th to the 31st. So, the sooner you send me a list, the better.

How does this sound to everyone?[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. I'll start on my list.

Just finished Warhammer 40k Space Marine. It wasnt anything too special but it was a pretty decent third person shooter. Glad to have it out of my backlog now, and might jump into Amnesia if I can work myself up to it. Kinda thinking about starting something else from the backlog too though.

After a two hour midterm of nothing but essays, I decided to reward myself with some Mark of the Ninja and managed to finish it off. Such a great stealth game. I don't really know what to say about it that hasn't already been said elsewhere, but I really look forward to trying to 100% it as I find the time. I'm hoping to get to Cargo next, maybe sneak a little bit of time in this weekend.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']After a two hour midterm of nothing but essays, I decided to reward myself with some Mark of the Ninja and managed to finish it off. Such a great stealth game. I don't really know what to say about it that hasn't already been said elsewhere, but I really look forward to trying to 100% it as I find the time. I'm hoping to get to Cargo next, maybe sneak a little bit of time in this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, glad you liked it! You finished it just in time for them to announce the DLC, which will include a few new items and a new mission.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/20/marked-improvement-mark-of-the-ninjas-special-edition/

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Cargo! A Quest for Gravity is done! Definitely one of the strangest games I've ever played. It was a ton of fun. It's kinda short, too, so anyone who's curious about it should really just jump right on in. Unfortunately, there are
multiple endings based upon
how many
buddies
die
. Kinda lame, for that bit, as know I have to
play the game all over again
to 100%. But I probably will at one point, it's just that zany and fun. I would recommend that you hop in knowing as little as possible. Sure, you have to spend some time getting to know the ropes, but the story and zaniness should not be spoiled.

Stepped up and completed Arkham City: a great game, overall, but I still place its predecessor a step higher because it was more focused and straight to the point. AC's story was very good until the very end, where
it almost seems like developers tried to kill off as many characters as possible without a very logical thread, other than making a mandatory grim and dark ending.

Plus, as I already said...
3thstu.jpg

Truth to be told, they succeeded in putting to shame even the infamous 1000 flags hunt in Assassin's Creed... I'll return to them in the near future to try and 100% the game, but that sure as hell will feel like a burdensome chore. At least, arena and predator challenges are cool as ever.

Now I'll try to shake Grimrock off my shoulders, once and for all :)

Finished the Alien campaign in Aliens vs Predator and just started the Predator campaign.. They did a really good job making the xenomorph movement fluid, climbing on walls, ceilings, trees and whatnot. I like this game a lot and $3.75 was a good price for the short length, especially. I'm sure I'll finish getting all the collectibles throughout the campaigns once I beat the game.

I hope that I will at least be able to finish Shank 2 but with the SAT prep course and a project breathing down my neck, I am doubtful that even that will get finished.

I totally failed. After I beat two games in the first few days, I had to do a bunch of work stuff. Still going to go back and play Sam and Max for sure, though.

See you guys in the April thread!

bread's done
Back