mozilla firfox full version released

Lootr2Core

CAGiversary!
Personally, I'm going to wait a few days for extensions and themes to catch up, though.

[quote name='jmcc']Personally, I'm going to wait a few days for extensions and themes to catch up, though.[/quote]

the most popular themes have already caught up, Nokia Extreme theme, Tabbrowsser, paste and go, download status bar, foxytunes are all up, (but those are about all the extensions I used

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='jmcc']Personally, I'm going to wait a few days for extensions and themes to catch up, though.[/quote]

the most popular themes have already caught up, Nokia Extreme theme, Tabbrowsser, paste and go, download status bar, foxytunes are all up, (but those are about all the extensions I used[/quote]

What of adblock, though? Wha-a-a-a-at?!

i believe adblock is 'standard' now.. no need for extension. I've been using 1.0 for a day now and no ads have popped up.

[quote name='andersontsia']Use Firefox and try go to this website http://www.staples.marktheworld.com/default.asp

Click any icon you see in the middle, it says "The web browser you are using is incompatible"[/quote]

What dongery. It loaded the page before switching to the IE only one. Oh well, it shouldn't be too hard to spoof IE.

[quote name='andersontsia']Use Firefox and try go to this website http://www.staples.marktheworld.com/default.asp

Click any icon you see in the middle, it says "The web browser you are using is incompatible"[/quote]

FireFox isn't 100% compatible unfortunately. But, in my experience, less than a 10th of a percent of websites have had trouble with FireFox. That's more than a worthy tradeoff for absolutely no pop-ups.

Anyone know if you can upgrade to 1.0 through the browser (I'm using the last version update at the moment)? Or do you just need to download the new update?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='andersontsia']Use Firefox and try go to this website http://www.staples.marktheworld.com/default.asp

What dongery. It loaded the page before switching to the IE only one. Oh well, it shouldn't be too hard to spoof IE.[/quote]

that is pretty goofy, that is one of the few sites I have come across in months that only recognizes IE, before switching to firefox I used Opera for 3 years and once in a blue moon would need to use IE.

the Open in IE extension is great , have to load up IE but does it very fast.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='andersontsia']Use Firefox and try go to this website http://www.staples.marktheworld.com/default.asp

FireFox isn't 100% compatible unfortunately. But, in my experience, less than a 10th of a percent of websites have had trouble with FireFox. That's more than a worthy tradeoff for absolutely no pop-ups.

Anyone know if you can upgrade to 1.0 through the browser (I'm using the last version update at the moment)? Or do you just need to download the new update?[/quote]

It's not really Mozilla's fault that page doesn't work correctly, though. It's standards compliant.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='andersontsia']Use Firefox and try go to this website http://www.staples.marktheworld.com/default.asp

What dongery. It loaded the page before switching to the IE only one. Oh well, it shouldn't be too hard to spoof IE.[/quote]

that is pretty goofy, that is one of the few sites I have come across in months that only recognizes IE, before switching to firefox I used Opera for 3 years and once in a blue moon would need to use IE.

the Open in IE extension is great , have to load up IE but does it very fast.[/quote]

I think in this case you should be able to get by with this: http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/ tricking the site, unless it's an ActiveX thing, in which case I wouldn't want to use it anyway.

[quote name='basketkase543']Is it worth the upgrade if I already use the .9 version? What about the "downthemall" extension which kicks ass? Can I use it on 1.0?[/quote]

About a month ago i used 0.10.0 and there were minor tweaks, now with 1.0 I don't see much difference between 0.10.0 and 1.0

I am not famiiliar with the downthemall extension what is that?

[quote name='jmcc']It's not really Mozilla's fault that page doesn't work correctly, though. It's standards compliant.[/quote]

I know that. I was just bringing it to light before anyone downloaded this thinking it was an IE clone. If only all sites understood that not everyone uses IE.

Yep. Switched it to tell the site I was using IE6 and it had no problem, so Staples is just trying to stick it to Mozilla users.

edit: with the previously linked too user agent switcher extension. I recommend it.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='basketkase543']Is it worth the upgrade if I already use the .9 version? What about the "downthemall" extension which kicks ass? Can I use it on 1.0?[/quote]

About a month ago i used 0.10.0 and there were minor tweaks, now with 1.0 I don't see much difference between 0.10.0 and 1.0

I am not famiiliar with the downthemall extension what is that?[/quote]

Downthemall is a great extension I found last week. It lets you download all of the pics and movies on one page with one click of the extension. You can choose exactly which files you want and have everything downloaded without having to worry about the hassle of limited simultaneous downloads. Its like a mini-download manager like GetRight. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://downthemall.mozdev.org/

started using this browser a few months ago at the 1.0PR, and its been great so far. only thing i havent been able to do is Windows Update.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jmcc']It's not really Mozilla's fault that page doesn't work correctly, though. It's standards compliant.[/quote]

I know that. I was just bringing it to light before anyone downloaded this thinking it was an IE clone. If only all sites understood that not everyone uses IE.[/quote]

Sure, not everyone does, but an overwhelming majority (something on the order of 90-95% in most areas) use IE. From a development standpoint, you'd want to go with your larger install base as a priority (see also: most games developed with PS2 in mind).

Oh, and don't forget that it's just easier to code when you don't have to worry so much about standards. A lot of the time, the best (and easiest) way to get something to display the way you want to is to use IE workarounds or exploit certain quirks not present in more standards-compliant browsers like Opera and FireFox.

All the more reason to switch to a non M$ browser. Unfortunatly in many cases it's only because you computer immediatly recognizes IE that most people use it. I'd use Mozilla more but there are still things I fine IE does better.

Does Firefox 1.0 still force you to wait untill a page loads every picture before letting an active link work? A lot of times I'll be loading a page, see exactly what I want and click to move on but cant because it hasnt finished loading 50% of the page.

[quote name='Alpha2']All the more reason to switch to a non M$ browser. Unfortunatly in many cases it's only because you computer immediatly recognizes IE that most people use it. I'd use Mozilla more but there are still things I fine IE does better.

Does Firefox 1.0 still force you to wait untill a page loads every picture before letting an active link work? A lot of times I'll be loading a page, see exactly what I want and click to move on but cant because it hasnt finished loading 50% of the page.[/quote]

hard to say, load times are fast and I have fairly fast DSL speed, so I never notice that.

bread's done
Back