MP3 player request

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I'm looking for a MP3 player for when I'm doing homework in the study room or working out.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-good design, sturdy build quality
-display
-1-2GB of removal memory (preferably memory stick or SD)
-clip to strap around my shorts
-something around $50-100

I don't care if it's an older one... infact, the only two MP3 players I ever loved were the Nomad II (too bad it only supports 128MB, best included headphones ever) and that silver, Sony memory stick MP3 player that was really tiny (for the time). I don't care too much about iPods and what not.

You're not gonna have any luck finding anything like that. 1 gig of flash memory will cost around $70 regardless of what type it is (memory sticks are more expensive), and a sturdy player for $30? Not likely.

I'd recommend a microdrive player like the Rio Carbon or Creative Zen Micro. They're not too big, they have a lot of storage (5GB), they're sturdy, they sound great, and look good.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm looking for a MP3 player for when I'm doing homework in the study room or working out.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-good design, sturdy build quality
-display
-1-2GB of removal memory (preferably memory stick or SD)
-clip to strap around my shorts
-something around $50-100

I don't care if it's an older one... infact, the only two MP3 players I ever loved were the Nomad II (too bad it only supports 128MB, best included headphones ever) and that silver, Sony memory stick MP3 player that was really tiny (for the time). I don't care too much about iPods and what not.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you need my solution: Minidisc.

-Skip free playback, shock free [try it in a truck or hard jogging, not one skip]

-Economic media [about 70 cents for a durable, tough media which lasts 100 years and a theoretical limitless read/write]

-No moving parts

-Better sound quality than 128 KBPS MP3

-Each disc fits near 3 hours of music at near CD quality [compressed ATRAC, up to 6 hours]

-Small player [smaller than original ipod, very light weight]

-50 HOURS playback on ONE AA BATTERY

-Voice recording, line input recording

-Supports any media format, just have SonicStage turn it into ATRAC

-Player cost: $30 to $200 depending on featureset, look on eBay or online.

[quote name='greydemise']one of my friends swore by minidiscs..my mom stole my mp3 player..might have to look into one...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. People who get into minidisc are in it for life. I got into it by accident [MD player $40 at Walmart, clearance. I already knew it's beyond more popular and widespread than MP3 in Japan, so I went ahead]

It only came with one minidisc and I couldn't find any near by so I made a disc, put 80 minutes of music on it, generally impressed by the soundquality [compressed, yet more stereo separation and a clear, more warm bass? I was floored]

Checked my disc that night and saw I had 160 minutes REMAINING. I put four or five more albums on it, shuffled them via player, fell asleep listening to it.

I took it out for a ride and it fell several times when going up freeways, not one skip, my mom did a hard turn and it knocked against the door and not even a stutter.

I said, "What the hey, it's cheap" and launched it into the air, let it fall, not one skip, and it didn't even break

Mind you, my player [420d] weighs less than two ounces WITH a disc inside, it feels fragile, suprisingly it seems as tough as the original Gameboy Color..

Hooked it up to the car, it sounded better than the radio and better than mp3's via the CD player decoder.

Found a 15 pack of minidiscs for $10 at a store, pretty much my favorite albums and the essentials in my CD collection are all encoded, categorized into track order sets. Never have to take more than two discs a day, that's already more than enough music.

I can't see myself going to mp3 or any other format, anxious to upgrade to HI-MD [high definition mini disc] which has huge 1.3 GB discs that can be used for data or photos and can store more than 10 hours of standard compression or go HD and have equal or better than CD quality music up to a few hours, the HI-MD players have optical in/out, line in/out, stunning 5 line LCD displays, one has a 3 megapixel camera even...

Minidisc has been out since 1992. Years before MP3...It's a shame that it will never be a success here and that iPod is winning the hearts of Japan.

i saw that tiny box one tonight. it looked odd sitting next to everything else. i actualy checked to see if it wasn't just something random laying in the case. it takes the honor of being the smallest mp3 player i've seen to date.

The box MP3 player is in my opinion way too small. The controls are too small and so is the screen. Its also a strange shape, it wouldnt feel nice in your pocket.

[quote name='eldad9']So this minidisc thing...

Can you get the data back out of it and into your PC? Is it even stored as MP3 internally?[/QUOTE]

You can transfer data to and from your computer..yes...if you have something on MD You can send it to your computer

It is encoded as .mp3 on your computer, as ATRAC on your MD player...

Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits encoded its OST in ATRAC, all game...IT SOUNDED WONDERFUL.

So... you can copy the files back to your PC. What would you even do with them? Do most/any of the audio players for the PC support that format? can you convert it back to mp3? is there loss of quality when you do that?

Besides, many of us have libraries of billions of hours of audio, and each day there are thousands of new podcasts... re-encoding seems like a huge hassle.

I have a minidisc player and actually love the thing... 300 mins of music on 1 disc is bad ass but having to record each song on the fly sucks. I know I can use the automatic track skip but that doesn't work too well and inputting track info (name, artist, etc.) is another pain. It'd be great if had one of those big recorders that would allow me to record faster and input info via a keyboard or something but those are expensive.

I've already decided to go with an Creative Zen Nano/Muvo... 1GB for around $110 can be found easily and I've read some good stuff about it. Plus, I can use it as a USB thumb drive too.:)

Thanks guys.

[quote name='Vinny']I have a minidisc player and actually love the thing... 300 mins of music on 1 disc is bad ass but having to record each song on the fly sucks. I know I can use the automatic track skip but that doesn't work too well and inputting track info (name, artist, etc.) is another pain. It'd be great if had one of those big recorders that would allow me to record faster and input info via a keyboard or something but those are expensive.

I've already decided to go with an Creative Zen Nano/Muvo... 1GB for around $110 can be found easily and I've read some good stuff about it. Plus, I can use it as a USB thumb drive too.:)

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Wait? You can only record real time?

That's very strange, I'm using an NE420D [2003 model] and can record a full disc from a folder structure in about 4 minutes via USB 2.0...

If you're using the latest version of Sonic Stage, it can grab CD info from CDDB, copy the ID tags off your mp3's, and allow editing of tracks/titles/playlists via mouse/keyboard like with any other player...

Maybe you need to look into getting a USB 2.0 cable and downloading Sonic 3.x for free from Sony's website = )

[quote name='eldad9']So... you can copy the files back to your PC. What would you even do with them? Do most/any of the audio players for the PC support that format? can you convert it back to mp3? is there loss of quality when you do that?

Besides, many of us have libraries of billions of hours of audio, and each day there are thousands of new podcasts... re-encoding seems like a huge hassle.[/QUOTE]

Winamp can play ATRAC from folders if you have the Sonic Stage software installed, it can also play them from the player through the PC's soundcard.

Encoding and writing any recorded audio stream [such as yes, ugh, podcasts] takes about 30 to 60 seconds depending on file size.

What makes podcasts "ugh"?

It's just a content delivery platform. Some of the content is incredible; some isn't worth the bandwidth it takes to download it.

[quote name='eldad9']What makes podcasts "ugh"?

It's just a content delivery platform. Some of the content is incredible; some isn't worth the bandwidth it takes to download it.[/QUOTE]

No, I've loved streaming audio and mp3 shoutcasts and mp3 netradio since the late 90's..

But iPod owner ship isn't 9/10 human beings, "podcasts" aren't always podcasts..

Just a minidisc fanatic wishing the world were a different place......MZ-RH10....mmm.

[quote name='sarausagi']Wait? You can only record real time?

That's very strange, I'm using an NE420D [2003 model] and can record a full disc from a folder structure in about 4 minutes via USB 2.0...

If you're using the latest version of Sonic Stage, it can grab CD info from CDDB, copy the ID tags off your mp3's, and allow editing of tracks/titles/playlists via mouse/keyboard like with any other player...

Maybe you need to look into getting a USB 2.0 cable and downloading Sonic 3.x for free from Sony's website = )[/QUOTE]

I don't think my minidisc is capable of doing that... I have an old unit, I think it's 4-5 years old now. It can only record via analog/optical in.

Toys R Us was advertising mp3 players in their 12 deals of christmas, i'll bet you can still get a pretty good deal on one of those in the store.

bread's done
Back