MS point and subscription cards obsolete?

Fighterspledge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
So a friend of mine calls me up and says that Gamestop is no longer selling point cards. I told him he was full of it, but he had recently came from Gamestop and instead of selling him a card, they just had a printed code on the receipt.

I can't find anything on the internet about Microsoft nixing the cards, or going green or anything like that. But it can be a forewarning that they just might not be around in the near future.

Which also means no more subscription or point cards on sale at retailers anymore, which is bad for us.

But has anyone else experienced this recently?

I Think Gamestop does most if not all of their Live based codes on reciept now. Since that's how they sell XBLA games as well.

Though as of right now I believe it's only Gamestop since Best Buy and Toys R Us still continue to sell normal cards for points and Gold.

[quote name='Kerig']Gamestop simply likes to do everything in a unique shade of stupid.[/QUOTE]

I want a like button for that comment.

It green in two ways. It makes them more money and doesn't waste packaging and cardboard. It's not like Gamestop put them on sale very often anyway. I think if anything, they may be more inclined to put them on sale this wayike with a buy X get 5$ off points or gold. How is it any different? Just no physical inventory.

FYI some stores still have some cards in the back, but they aren't supposed to be sold unless it's people insisting wanting to give them as a gift/being held for Christmas promotions.

It's part of a Microsoft/Gamestop partnership in that Gamestop sells DLC for lots of games the same way. That way Gamestop makes some money on the DLC and if you don't want to buy points and have a lot of Gamestop credit, you can buy DLC that way. I bought the LFD 2 DLC a month ago, of course haven't played it yet, and now it was on sale this week for $4. :(

I bought a couple cards at Gamestop recently. They had a whole stack of them in the Xbox section. I grabbed the 2 cards and went to pay for them. They gave me a receipt, circled the 2 5-by-5 codes and I was out the door. I suppose they just put the 2 cards back on display.

[quote name='Hoffer']I bought a couple cards at Gamestop recently. They had a whole stack of them in the Xbox section. I grabbed the 2 cards and went to pay for them. They gave me a receipt, circled the 2 5-by-5 codes and I was out the door. I suppose they just put the 2 cards back on display.[/QUOTE]

Yeah those are just display ones with a bar code only. I was talking about the cards in the plastic blister packs.

whos not to say the employees wont print another copy of the receipt and steal your points? or maybe they have a camera hidden somewhere, record the receipt, give it to you, then use their phone or something to steal your points?

[quote name='Kerig']Gamestop simply likes to do everything in a unique shade of stupid.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rapsodist']I want a like button for that comment.[/QUOTE]

Anyone wanna run it by me why it's stupid to stop needlessly wasting untold amounts of plastic? Or are we just enjoying the breeze from the ride on the anti-Gamestop bandwagon?

bread's done
Back