MS quietly releases redesigned wired headset (MUCH BETTER)!

gorgo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Don' t know about you, but I've gone through 5 headsets in the year I've had my 360. They all shorted out eventually, and I always thought it was due to the way the wire came out of the bottom, unreinforced.

Well, went to get a replacement yesterday, bought it, and when I got it home and was about to open it, I noticed there was a different looking switch... opened it up, and now:
1. The wire connection at the bottom is JUST the wire (no switch), pointing sideways (to reduce chance of pressure on it) and heavily reinforced!
2. The talk/mute switch and volume are now on the cord, about halfway up.
3. It seems to sound better, too!

Just had to post this since I've seen no other mention of it.

Not sure how I feel about the volume and mute not being on the controller... actually I know how I feel about that: yuck.

I wonder if the sound quality is any better.

That sucks, I hate the standard gigantic MS headset but I still use it because I haven't found another that has the mute on the controller and not halfway up the wire. If I want to mute in the middle of a game I don't want to take my hands off the controls to do it. :bomb:

No classes today, so i've got time to waste... just took these pics 5 mins ago:

ControllerJack.jpg

ControllerSound.jpg

ControllerFar.jpg

ControllerSet.jpg

EDIT: This is what you were talking about right? lol. Just want to make sure...

You are positive the sound is better/louder than the one that came with the 360? I have a hell of a time hearing people with mine (yay for medical conditions), but I have no alternative if I want to chat while playing Halo 3. If the redesigned headset is louder, I'm going to have to pick it up.

[quote name='Ryukahn']You are positive the sound is better/louder than the one that came with the 360? I have a hell of a time hearing people with mine (yay for medical conditions), but I have no alternative if I want to chat while playing Halo 3. If the redesigned headset is louder, I'm going to have to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, it's pretty much the same. Maybe a BIT louder... but not really a big difference.

man I might just pony up for a wireless headset, my wired headset is such a piece of garbage. I even had to open it to un-short it, as it was DOA. Not a big deal just 2 screws. What are peoples opinions on the wireless ones?

I kinda like the switch at the bottom of the controller, especially when my girlfriend starts talking to me and I have to mute quickly. I'm not sure I'd like having to fumble for the cord to mute (of course I could pull out the headset, but then I couldn't listen to my team's strategy while being lectured about doing the laundry).

I love my Turtlebeach X2 wireless headset, but I can't use it for online play with Halo 3 since Halo 3 has no audio options. Halo 3 is the only game I have seen without audio options though, so if you don't play that online you should have no issues with the Turtlebeach X2. Don't get the X3 though.

mrelusive, you have the coolest signature ever. You pwn. Except the bottom of it is misaligned which is weird since it's all one image down there...

[quote name='lordwow']I kinda like the switch at the bottom of the controller, especially when my girlfriend starts talking to me and I have to mute quickly. I'm not sure I'd like having to fumble for the cord to mute (of course I could pull out the headset, but then I couldn't listen to my team's strategy while being lectured about doing the laundry).[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I'm constantly adjusting the volume on my headset. It's right there and it takes no more than moving my thumb a couple inches.

Taking my entire hand off the controller to fumble around a wire for a mute button sucks.

Thank God I have a couple old-style headsets still. I might try modding one of my plugs to make it compatible with any headset (stick a female plug in there). Just to future-proof myself.

looks nice, anyone see it at retail? i checked ebgames, but they didn't have it

my cat bit through the wire on my previous 3 head sets :(

no matter where i live them she'll find them

[quote name='PyroGamer']mrelusive, you have the coolest signature ever. You pwn. Except the bottom of it is misaligned which is weird since it's all one image down there...[/quote]
Damn. Don't know why it ended up looking like that either. Thanks for pointing that out.

I would reccomend the Plantronics headset (not the in-ear one). Why you would purchase only Microsoft ones puzzles me...

[quote name='lordwow']I kinda like the switch at the bottom of the controller, especially when my girlfriend starts talking to me and I have to mute quickly. I'm not sure I'd like having to fumble for the cord to mute (of course I could pull out the headset, but then I couldn't listen to my team's strategy while being lectured about doing the laundry).[/quote]

You know I have the same exact problem but I have kids and a wife >_> :bomb:

[quote name='Daywalker']
EDIT: This is what you were talking about right? lol. Just want to make sure...[/QUOTE]

That's the one. True, having the mute off the controlled is less convenient, but having the headset last makes up for it to me.

The wireless headset has the mute off the controller, too (obviously).

In answer to other questions:
- I don't know that it's louder, but it does seem clearer with less background noise. At first I wasn't sure it was working, because it's dead silent if no one is talking, where I used to hear more background hiss/noise.
- In retail: I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday. You can tell it's the new one, you'll see the new mute switch through the window on the package.

[quote name='gorgo']That's the one. True, having the mute off the controlled is less convenient, but having the headset last makes up for it to me.[/QUOTE]

I guess, I still have my original headset and one from the Gold Vision pack, and both work fine still for me, so I guess I'll stick with those as long as they work.

I wouldn't exactly say "quietly released" since this headset has been coming with the chatpad since it hit the market months ago.

[quote name='Nogib']I wouldn't exactly say "quietly released" since this headset has been coming with the chatpad since it hit the market months ago.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, now attaching that to the chatpad makes a lot more sense.

Taking my hand off the controller to fumble on the cord to mute or lower the volume means getting killed in CoD. This is a design misstep. Its much better to have the controls right on the 360 controller.

[quote name='Nogib']I wouldn't exactly say "quietly released" since this headset has been coming with the chatpad since it hit the market months ago.[/QUOTE]

Nobody said the chatpad-less headset would be the same as the one that came with the chatpad, so I'm sticking with "quietly released"

[quote name='_Sin_']man I might just pony up for a wireless headset, my wired headset is such a piece of garbage. I even had to open it to un-short it, as it was DOA. Not a big deal just 2 screws. What are peoples opinions on the wireless ones?[/quote]

i love mine

I had this headset (got the chatpad) and I hated it, I just ended up using the chatpad and taking it off and using the regular headset rather than this one. Looking for the mute on the cord when playing games is a complete pain in the ass.

I got the updated headset in the messenger kit. $20 for the headset new, $30 for the messenger kit. No brainer...

Now THAT's worth 20 bucks........ unlike the first generation units. I've gone thru what 4 of them since I got my 360 in sept?

[quote name='CheapyD']How about a picture?[/QUOTE]

My thought exactly before i even read a comment.

Scan that sonzabitch or something.

[quote name='retail sucks']My thought exactly before i even read a comment.

Scan that sonzabitch or something.[/quote] He posted pictures on the first page.:roll:

50 or 100 posts per page is a sweet thing. check the options in your user CP.

[quote name='kensterdotnet']He posted pictures on the first page.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Since the controls are on the chord the headset can probably be used on other devices too (original Xbox, some cellphones). Has anyone tried this out?

meh it looks smexy but you have to get used to it i have a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset and im wondering if i can use that insted its really nice and its on the way in 12 freakin weeks! (got it from some prize site for free) its usb and all, what connection does the wired headset use? USB?

i really like the original having mute/volume on the controller, i don't like the mute stuff on the wire. I generally allways mute unless i'm going to say something, because sometimes my childrens are running around being crazy and that can be distracting to other players.

[quote name='miah']i really like the original having mute/volume on the controller, i don't like the mute stuff on the wire. I generally allways mute unless i'm going to say something, because sometimes my childrens are running around being crazy and that can be distracting to other players.[/quote]

I often hear very young (toddlers) children in the background when Im playing. Outside of hoping that the kids arent watching their father play, I dont mind it cos a father is usually not going to be a racist, hate spewing douchebag online.

The best part about the official headsets was the mute and volume control being near the controller.

Well, either way, I'm very happy with my Plantronics X30.

MUCH louder than the official mic.

bread's done
Back