MS Refunding XBOX 360 Repairs & Repairing Pre-2006 360s Free

Wow - what timing... I just had Lego Star Wars II crash on me (and I was almost done with the last misson in A New Hope without dying - argh!) and I had to unplug the power in the back of the system to reset it. I had the red ring of death - not good. I was able to power it back on and play for another 1/2 hour and it crashed again. Mine is definitely a 2005 console... should I send it in or wait and see if it just overheated or whatever? I'd hate to be without my 360 for an extended length of time...

[quote name='javeryh']Wow - what timing... I just had Lego Star Wars II crash on me (and I was almost done with the last misson in A New Hope without dying - argh!) and I had to unplug the power in the back of the system to reset it. I had the red ring of death - not good. I was able to power it back on and play for another 1/2 hour and it crashed again. Mine is definitely a 2005 console... should I send it in or wait and see if it just overheated or whatever? I'd hate to be without my 360 for an extended length of time...[/quote]

Why did you unplug it? Don't you know you can just push the power button on the console? All you do is hold it down for 2 seconds.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I wish they'd reveal what the problem with the consoles are exactly.[/QUOTE]

It turned out to be with the power brick with my 2 defective consoles. They sent me a new console and the 3rd time, a new power brick... 100% perfection in running since then.

[quote name='javeryh']Wow - what timing... I just had Lego Star Wars II crash on me (and I was almost done with the last misson in A New Hope without dying - argh!) and I had to unplug the power in the back of the system to reset it. I had the red ring of death - not good. I was able to power it back on and play for another 1/2 hour and it crashed again. Mine is definitely a 2005 console... should I send it in or wait and see if it just overheated or whatever? I'd hate to be without my 360 for an extended length of time...[/QUOTE]

just send it in now while you're still under the new warranty. I held off on sending mine in since it worked occasionally and it did not help at all.

nothing is really coming out for another month so it's best to do it now. I had to send mine in on the day I got Saints Row and N3, sucked ass.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Why did you unplug it? Don't you know you can just push the power button on the console? All you do is hold it down for 2 seconds.[/quote]

I didn't know that... I pressed the power button a bunch of times but the console wasn't responding. Also, my controller was rumbling non-stop - has that happened to anyone else? I thought it was odd...

[quote name='javeryh']I didn't know that... I pressed the power button a bunch of times but the console wasn't responding. Also, my controller was rumbling non-stop - has that happened to anyone else? I thought it was odd...[/quote]I got that as well with Lego Star Wars the other day. I just use the remote to shut it off, that seems to work still even when the system locks up.

Man I just told my friend about this and he was pissed. He was on the phone with MS about a week ago trying to get them to fix his 360 he got at launch and they wouldnt do it for free. So he ended up selling his broken one on ebay and just getting another. They told him straight up that they weren't planning on fixing these. Guess this just came out of no where.

[quote name='DomLando']Man I just told my friend about this and he was pissed. He was on the phone with MS about a week ago trying to get them to fix his 360 he got at launch and they wouldnt do it for free. So he ended up selling his broken one on ebay and just getting another. They told him straight up that they weren't planning on fixing these. Guess this just came out of no where.[/QUOTE]

he gave up too easily, it wasnt hard to drop the price to something more reasonable.

[quote name='javeryh']I didn't know that... I pressed the power button a bunch of times but the console wasn't responding. Also, my controller was rumbling non-stop - has that happened to anyone else? I thought it was odd...[/quote]

I have had the controller non-stop-rumble thing happen during texas hold 'em. At the same time, I kept getting dealt two Ten of Clubs for every hand. I finally had to power off the system.

Coincidentally, I was playing Hold 'Em last night, and the rumble thing happened to another player, and she was told by others to unplug her controller and plug it back in, and that worked for her.

That was (other than a profile issue) the worse thing that I have had happen with my (pre)launch 360. Until last night when my games kept freezing. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Zoglog']he gave up too easily, it wasnt hard to drop the price to something more reasonable.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I told him the same thing.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']So the exact date this deal's over would be?[/QUOTE]

Probably one year from the date of purchase / registration.

Ok so now I'm really confused. I finally took the time to see when my 360 (purchased in July) was manufactured. To my surprise, it said Oct 29 2005!

I also just purchased the extended warranty, so does that mean my extended warranty will kick in AFTER a year from my purchase date?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Ok so now I'm really confused. I finally took the time to see when my 360 (purchased in July) was manufactured. To my surprise, it said Oct 29 2005!

I also just purchased the extended warranty, so does that mean my extended warranty will kick in AFTER a year from my purchase date?[/quote]

I've never bought an extended warranty so I don’t know if they start when the original warranty ends or if they run concurrently. I would look at the terms of your extended warranty to see when it goes in effect. All I know is that Microsoft should repair your console free until November 22, 2006. My console died last weekend and it was made October 24 2005 so I can confirm that they repair it for free.

I have the two year Best Buy warrantee, I'm hoping mine will die soon so I can replace it with one of the new quiet ones.

Unfortunately, I don't play the thing much, so dunno how that will turn out.

Oh, and BTW, this news is fake.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I have the two year Best Buy warrantee, I'm hoping mine will die soon so I can replace it with one of the new quiet ones.

Unfortunately, I don't play the thing much, so dunno how that will turn out.

Oh, and BTW, this news is fake.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this news isn't fake. Many people have been getting their consoles fixed free since this news hit. I, myself, just got off the line with customer service an hour ago and they're fixing mine for free.

bread's done
Back