MSG4 on 360?

[quote name='CheapyD']Bioshock says "Only on Xbox 360 and Windows" right on the cover of the game.

[/quote]
..so you're saying...and bare with me, i'm slow...but what you're trying to say is that it's...........possible, that MGS4 could end up on the 360? Who woulda thunk :D

*EDIT: Konami wants money, they like money, and i believe they already have plans for MGS5...i could easily see a MGS4 port to the 360 for next holiday season followed by MGS5 in 2010 or 2011 on the PS3 and 360.

I dunno. Kojima is a picky bastard and if there is a port, he never has anything to do with it. Remember Substance on the Xbox? He basically sent their D team to them as spite to make sure no port would ever land on an American system again. He'd probably do the exact same thing. It'd be akin to a Neo Geo game going to a Super Nintendo.

Well didn't Kojima also say this was his last work with a Metal Gear game? Seems like this game is gonna get ported in a year + for a few reasons

1) The "internetz" demand is there
2) Konami spent a lot of cash on this project and port = easy cash MOST of the time
3) It's the only PS3/Wii game the "internetz" (and I would say general public) is DEMANDING to hit the 360.

Metal Gear 1 and 2 were also on the PC (I think...) so you may even see this hit the PC in the long run.

I think porting = more money. Every non-in house game should be ported to make a company more money. Games from Nintendo and Sony will never be ported for obvious reasons, and Microsoft's usually hit the PC in the long run.

[quote name='CheapyD']Bioshock says "Only on Xbox 360 and Windows" right on the cover of the game.

[/QUOTE]

That's true. But unlike Gears of War, Microsoft was always very ambiguous about actually having ownership of it. BioShock was considered somewhat risky and 2K really was not sure how well it would do or if it would be worth trying to port to the PS3 in the first place (Quite expensive).

Microsoft likely took advantage of that and dropped some $ to ensure a PS3 version wouldn't exist for at least a year, or something. After Bioshock was a massive hit, 2K would be dumb not to port a PS3 version asap, if they legally can.

[quote name='SynGamer']..so you're saying...and bare with me, i'm slow...but what you're trying to say is that it's...........possible, that MGS4 could end up on the 360? Who woulda thunk :D
[/QUOTE]

Until Konami actually comes forward and says outright we will never ever see a 360 version, then yes it's possible.

The fact that you haven't heard that yet means their deal with Sony is complicated and/or tentative. But you can bet your ass that right about now, after reviews and response, Sony is trying to finalize exclusivity and Microsoft is trying to break it.

If I had to guess, Sony would win out. They have way more to gain by keeping MGS4 exclusive and finally give fence sitters a reason to buy a PS3. Just like Bluray, they have so much at stake with MGS4 they can't allow it to slip.

All that can be certain right now is that it's good to be Konami.

I think our chances are 50/50. We could argue until we're all blue in the face and 8 pages deep in a thread, but the bottom line is we won't know until they tell us. Xbox fans got lucky with MGS2, but I'm still waiting on MGS3 for the Xbox. I thought for sure they'd come out with a port when they released Subsistence for the PS2.

We'll just have to wait and see.

[quote name='Paco']It'd be akin to a Neo Geo game going to a Super Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Give me a break. The capabilities of the PS3 vs. the 360 are no where near as different as the SNES and Neo Geo.

The main difference is Blu Ray vs. DVD and that's easily solved by breaking a game like this above discs.

I'm not saying a port will happen, but if one does and they actually put effort into it should look very comparable to the PS3 version.

[quote name='thrustbucket']

If I had to guess, Sony would win out. They have way more to gain by keeping MGS4 exclusive and finally give fence sitters a reason to buy a PS3. Just like Bluray, they have so much at stake with MGS4 they can't allow it to slip.

All that can be certain right now is that it's good to be Konami.[/quote]

I dunno, if I was a sony exec and had a 6 month/1 year exclusive why I would pony up anymore cash to keep it exclusive. Lets just assume it is a year exclusive and konami decided to port it to the 360 the holiday 09 season. Would sony really be losing any customers after a year and a half. IMO, it wouldn't be worth the money to keep it exclusive. They got the intial exclusive and are benefitting from it. Spending extra to keep it that way seems like a waste of cash.

Well they would have to change the part where Otacon calls and says you have to switch discs. It wouldn't be a joke though :). Also there is a boss that uses the sixasis. Not saying it won't come to the box, but they would have to change a few things.

The game the way it is setup would probably do just as well being broken up into multiple discs. Afterall, you have to install acts onto the hard drives so it probably wouldn't be a big deal to actually have to get up off the couch and press the open button.

Not saying I can't get off the couch and change disks, just saying that there are a few things in there that reffer directly to the PS3/Blu-ray or use functions that the PS3 has that would have to be removed or altered.

[quote name='blitz6speed']

1. You are right, it is not close, Playstation Network doesnt have 10 year olds cussing racial slurs and calling you a homosexual every 10 seconds when you play online.

2. Ive been playing online with the 360 since very early 06, and it really is pathetic what you experience playing online, and how you think of gamers after hearing this garbage. Its cut down my online play time to nearly nothing on the 360.

[/quote]

1. There is something called the "Ignore" button in case you didn't know. I rarely (if ever) have that problem. You need to play big boy games like F.E.A.R. and PGR 4 in order to get mature gamers. Halo is probably the only game with little kids cursing but most of the other games when played "live" have decent gamers. If you find a 10 yr old kid cursing while playing F.E.A.R. on 360 , I will give you a free PS3 game.

2. Man, you must be a wimp if you let a 10 year old kid stop you from playing on xbox live just because they call you "homosexual" :lol:. What, you got your feelings hurt?

[quote name='Paco'] It'd be akin to a Neo Geo game going to a Super Nintendo.[/quote]

fe_8.JPG

168743s.jpg

and several more I don't feel like hunting down.

[quote name='ninja dog']

and several more I don't feel like hunting down.[/QUOTE]

I think he was trying to insinuate the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Which, as of yet, there is no proof of in any game.

There is nothing about MGS4's graphics that the 360 can't handle. Gears of War, however, would be a chore to get to run well on the PS3 (because of memory set ups)

[quote name='thrustbucket']I think he was trying to insinuate the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Which, as of yet, there is no proof of in any game.

There is nothing about MGS4's graphics that the 360 can't handle. Gears of War, however, would be a chore to get to run well on the PS3 (because of memory set ups)[/quote]

Then I'll take it a step further and say crazier ports have been done. :)

[quote name='thrustbucket']I think he was trying to insinuate the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Which, as of yet, there is no proof of in any game.

There is nothing about MGS4's graphics that the 360 can't handle. Gears of War, however, would be a chore to get to run well on the PS3 (because of memory set ups)[/quote]

Oh god...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Oh god...[/QUOTE]

Since Epic is working with the PS3 hardware and the Xbox 360 hardware could Gears of War ever work on the Playstation 3?256 MB of RAM makes a huge difference. "There is no way we could ever do Gears of War on 256, we had trouble fitting everything on 512MB. We pushed the 360 to the limits.”
Preston Thorne.

Gears COULD be ported to PS3, but the asynchronous loading scheme, at least, would have to be redesigned from the ground up to deal with 256 megs.

I'm not trying to create flamebait. I'm merely illustrating that any claim that the 360 would struggle with MGS4 is hogwash.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Preston Thorne.

Gears COULD be ported to PS3, but the asynchronous loading scheme, at least, would have to be redesigned from the ground up to deal with 256 megs.

I'm not trying to create flamebait. I'm merely illustrating that any claim that the 360 would struggle with MGS4 is hogwash.[/QUOTE]
To go along with this.

The 360 was originally going to ship with 256MBs of RAM, but CliffyB and his crew showed them Gears running at 256 and at 512. The difference was huge and enough to make Microsoft spend millions of dollars more in production costs.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The PS3 has 512 megs of ram. How can this BS still be spreading mid 2008, i cannot fathom.[/quote]

yeah, but its split between the GPU and system, unlike the Xbox, which has 512 total available for both.

So there technically is a difference in the architecture.

Metal Gear Solid 4 on the 360 is the only way I'll play the title - as Sony gives me little to no reason to buy a PS3 in the near future.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The PS3 has 512 megs of ram. How can this BS still be spreading mid 2008, i cannot fathom.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Video ram.

I'm not very far into the game but I've already noticed alot of Apple and Sony products in the game, that's what makes me believe it won't show up on the 360.

[quote name='Francis']I'm not very far into the game but I've already noticed alot of Apple and Sony products in the game, that's what makes me believe it won't show up on the 360.[/QUOTE]

The Gameboy in conker was updated to a Gameboy Advanced in the Conker remake for the Xbox.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS2 had a larger install base and games like KOTOR, Dead or Alive 3, etc. were all Xbox exclusive. All consoles will have their own exclusives, that's all their is to it. And do you think Sony is going to let MGS4 slip from them with the amount they are pushing it??? I don't think so (DMC was not a series they really pushed over the years, unlike DMC). 2X the install base is incorrect actually, it's 1.5X worldwide.

Also, Kojima himself doesn't want to bother porting MGS4 anywhere, and Konami just doesn't have any other capable internal team to do it (their 2nd best team is their Castlevania team, but they are busy. Most of their teams are gone).

Late ports just don't sell, regardless of userbase. Viewtiful Joe did solid on GC, but when ported to PS2, next to no one bought it. MGS2 sold crazy well on PS2, but no one really bought MGS2 Substance on Xbox. Konami avoided a port for the third since they knew it just wouldn't sell as a late port. Lost Planet did well on 360 and next to no one bought it on PS3. Despite VF5 having more features on 360, it still sold better on PS3. Late ports just don't sell, because after 6 or so months, a game becomes old news and people want the newest games. Simultaneous games on the other hand can do well on two platforms.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean?.. multiconsole games sell millions of titles.. look at Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Grand Theft Auto 4 (even the ones that were ported from the PS2 to XBX)

I mean unless you put out actual internal numbers that suggest that ports to a more popular consoles (and considering the install base of the 360 is bigger and bigger = more popular)

I still don't understand this "ports just don't sell".. thats hogwash.. if that were true every PC game ever made would not be translated to consoles (and vice versa) take for instance Mass Effect. sold just as well as it did on the 360 and reached a broader audience.. thats what you want.

[quote name='urzishra14']
I still don't understand this "ports just don't sell".. thats hogwash.. if that were true every PC game ever made would not be translated to consoles (and vice versa) take for instance Mass Effect. sold just as well as it did on the 360 and reached a broader audience.. thats what you want.[/QUOTE]

We'll he was talking about late ports of games that were exclusive originally.

I don't think MGS2 sold much on the X-box. I doubt Bioshock will be a huge hit on the PS3. They sold, but not a ton as people that really wanted to play them bought a console to play them. That was his point. They key is really whether they can make enough profit to be worthwhile--and whether Sony can pay enough for exclusivity to offset any extra profits.

Mass Effect on PC was different. The PC port was announced, so a lot of PC gamers just passed on the 360 version to wait.

[quote name='Surferflames']Aside from all the technical challenges facing a port, they would either have to cut out a few scenes or have the actors do new voicework for certain sections of the game. Without spoiling much the game is very aware that it is a ps3 game.[/quote]

Correct, without spoling too much. Hideo made it very clear "within the game", it will not be going to the 360

[quote name='denze']Correct, without spoling too much. Hideo made it very clear "within the game", it will not be going to the 360[/quote]

Would you elaborate on this within spoiler tags, for those of us who don't mind MGS spoilers?

[quote name='denze']Correct, without spoling too much. Hideo made it very clear "within the game", it will not be going to the 360[/QUOTE]

That joke was about MGS1, not the 360.

otacon_disc_2.jpg

I do not see why this is the thing people are hanging up on, so there is a PS3 or PSP in it. Not saying there will or will not be a port but I think I could play it on my 360, see a PSP and I wouldn't start convulsing just because I saw a Sony product. Yes, this does lend to the fact Kojima loves the Sony penis but doesn't necessarily say one way or another on the port.

I see all of this talk about 'late ports not selling'.

Ok. Let's see, we've brought up... Viewtiful Joe, Lost Planet, and Virtua Fighter. Games, late or not, are simply not on the level of Metal Gear Solid. So, let's forget those.

Ok, so we mention MGS2. Fine, that you'll have... except that it also was being ported from a system that EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER owned to a console that was in a VERY DISTANT second place. Chances are good that if you had wanted to play MGS2, you already had, since you likely had a PS2. How many people owned an Xbox but NOT a PS2? Not a large number I'd imagine.

So, continuing that idea, let's look at the flipside and a game that was ported from a poorer selling console to the number one console of the generation. Something, let's say, a bit more akin to Metal Gear Solid...

Resident Evil 4.

RE4 was released on the Gamecube in January. It sold reasonably well (something in the neighborhood of 1.6 million units). The PS2 port came out in November of that year (a NINE MONTH gap, so by your definitions a "late" port) and proceeded to OUTSELL the Gamecube version by nearly a million units.

So, I NEVER EVER want to hear that 'late ports' don't sell. If it's a HUGE game that's going from a smaller install base system to a larger install base system, it has potential to actually be MORE profitable. I mean, that's the trump card to the entire 'late ports' and 'profitable' arguments... RE4 proves them both wrong, and I'll be damned if anyone will argue that MGS4 isn't on the same level as RE.

[quote name='zewone']That joke was about MGS1, not the 360.

otacon_disc_2.jpg
[/quote]

I didn't even link that one, but as stated earlier, they would have to omit
the PS3 and PSP
within the game. Not only that
but how would the camera function work to export pictures?

[quote name='007']
So, I NEVER EVER want to hear that 'late ports' don't sell. If it's a HUGE game that's going from a smaller install base system to a larger install base system, it has potential to actually be MORE profitable. I mean, that's the trump card to the entire 'late ports' and 'profitable' arguments... RE4 proves them both wrong, and I'll be damned if anyone will argue that MGS4 isn't on the same level as RE.[/QUOTE]

Good point. It also sold over a million on the Wii I think.

As for the other arguments, all that shit tied to the PSP, PS3, six axis etc. would just be removed.

If it gets ported, the game would have some stuff taken out, and I'd expect it would have some stuff added in to encourage more sales. I doubt they'd bother with a half assed port--it would either be a worthwhile one or they won't do one at all.

I'm sure someone's mentioned it, but why do people keep pointing out the PS3 and PSP in the game? Didn't twin snakes have plush mario characters in it?

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm sure someone's mentioned it, but why do people keep pointing out the PS3 and PSP in the game? Didn't twin snakes have plush mario characters in it?[/quote]
It's such a non-issue. They should be able to set aside an hour for one programmer to replace the PS3 with a 360 and the PSP with a Zune. How is it any different than things being changed when they're released in different parts of the world?
"zomg!!1 MGS$ has a PSP and PS3!!! it cant get ported LOL take that m$ fanobyz!!1"

um there was a PSone in the original MGS, when they remake it they replaced it with a game cube. In the original Mantis would read the Konami PSOne games on your memory card. On gamecube he would do it for gamecube memory card.

Exactly, that's a non issue. Just like the disc space is a non issue as swapping discs is no big deal. That's just fanboy FUD from people worried about "their" console losing it's first big time exclusives.

The only issues at hand are whether Konami thinks they can make a profit off of it, and whether Sony has paid, or would pay, them to keep it exclusive. That's what will determine whether it ever gets ported. Not any technical issues.

[quote name='defiance_17']It's such a non-issue. They should be able to set aside an hour for one programmer to replace the PS3 with a 360 and the PSP with a Zune. How is it any different than things being changed when they're released in different parts of the world?
"zomg!!1 MGS$ has a PSP and PS3!!! it cant get ported LOL take that m$ fanobyz!!1"[/quote]

Wow just wow, someone asked why and I even included spoiler tags. (Don't kill the messenger). I have owned both consoles for quite sometime, don't get your panties in a bunch.I had no intention to start another silly flamewar.

[quote name='denze']Wow just wow, someone asked why and I even included spoiler tags. (Don't kill the messenger). I have owned both consoles for quite sometime, don't get your panties in a bunch.I had no intention to start another silly flamewar.[/quote]
Relax, mate. It wasn't directed at you--you weren't the first to mention it, and you certainly won't be the last.

[quote name='62t']um there was a PSone in the original MGS, when they remake it they replaced it with a game cube. In the original Mantis would read the Konami PSOne games on your memory card. On gamecube he would do it for gamecube memory card.[/quote]

I don't think anyone is saying the MGS4 (in some fashion) will not make it's way to the 360 at some point. But my argument and I believe most others are saying it wont be any time soon. And it seems like this thread is alluding to that, if not then I'm totally confused.

If you don't mind waiting a year or two then I am sure MGS4 will come out on the 360 but not the same version as you see now on the PS3. What I am hoping, which will most definitely not happen, is that they release MGS4: Raidens Revenge on the 360, basically like Ninja Gaiden but with Raiden in the MGS universe. That'd be bad ass.

And I am pretty sure ports aren't CRTL + C PS3 version, CRTL + V 360 version! Ship! They just need to tighten up the graphics a little bit on level 3.

No, a lot of people are saying it will NEVER come. I think even the people hoping it will come know it will be a long time, if it comes at all.

Any huge MGS fan will buy a PS3 and play it, but there are plenty of casual fans, or people who've never played an MGS game, who would still be up for it on the 360 a year or two down the road.

[quote name='denze']I didn't even link that one, but as stated earlier, they would have to omit
the PS3 and PSP
within the game. Not only that
but how would the camera function work to export pictures?
[/quote]

No offense, but you are getting tripped up over small points. If they are porting the whole damn game to the 360, replacing those PS3 and PSP models with something else would not be a problem. They could make the PSP a DZD or something, who cares.

As for multiple discs, is MGS4 on a single layered BluRay disc or a dual layered? Assuming it is single layered and almost at 25 gigs, that would be about 3 DVDs...

[quote name='dmaul1114']No, a lot of people are saying it will NEVER come. I think even the people hoping it will come know it will be a long time, if it comes at all.

Any huge MGS fan will buy a PS3 and play it, but there are plenty of casual fans, or people who've never played an MGS game, who would still be up for it on the 360 a year or two down the road.[/quote]

Yup. I don't think it will be coming anytime soon. Anyone expecting an announcement at this year's E3 needs to realize it is still way too early.

bread's done
Back