MSNBC's Top 5 Hardest NES Games

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30834121

It's a scientific fact. The hardest video games are found on retro consoles. And the Nintendo Entertainment System, from the mid-1980s, has more difficult games than any other system. At a time when children made up the majority of players — and welcomed crazy hard puzzles to pass the time — designers weren't shy about making their games nightmarishly difficult. And the following NES games are beyond demanding. They're downright hopeless.

090520_Top5_hardest_Bionic-Commando.hmedium.jpg

'Bionic Commando'

Video game heroes jump. It's what they do best. But apparently, developer Capcom was absent the day they taught jumping. "Bionic Commando" sure as heck looks like a platforming game, but you can't jump in it. You have to control this plumber's snake of an arm to get from point "a" to point "b." But it doesn't go where you want it to go. And point "b" is really far from point "a." And there are lots of annoying enemies in between, making it impossible. Die, "Bionic Commando." Just die.

090520_Top5_hardest_paperboy.hmedium.jpg

'Paperboy'
This game reputedly has seven levels marked by seven days of the week. But I wouldn't know it. I never made it past Monday, the first level. If you were one of the few souls to ever make it to Tuesday, you deserve an honorary spot at the President's dinner table. And for those of you who made it to Wednesday — all three of you — you deserve to have individual skateboard parks erected in your name and placed in the middle of every remaining paper route in America.

090520_Top5_hardest_Contra.hmedium.jpg

'Contra'

You want to know the mother of all cheat codes? It's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. "Contra" players have this seared in their memory, because it's the only way to even attempt beating the game. Once entered, players were granted 30 extra lives — not that it mattered, really. Waves of enemies can routinely kill you that many times in fewer than two minutes. Without the code, "Contra" would be a shoe-in as no. 1 on our list.

090520_Top5_hardest_punchout.hmedium.jpg

'Mike Tyson's Punch-Out'

The act of throwing one's controller was first documented in 1987 by a young player from Omaha, who happened upon a toothy Mike Tyson for the first time in "Punch-Out." True story. Sure, the game tricks you into thinking you can become the world's heavyweight champion early on, with beatable wussies like Glass Joe and Don Flamingo. But once you get to the final fight with Mike Tyson, your dreams will be shattered. He cannot be beat. Nintendo even said so.

090520_Top5_hardest_Battletoads.hmedium.jpg

'Battletoads'

I was tricked into playing "Battletoads." At the time of its release, the game featured incredible graphics, so I played it. That is to say, I tried to. With only three "continues" and no game saves, there is simply no way to endure the never-ending levels with their incessant enemy attacks to reach the end. I couldn't make it past the second level. World-renowned for its extravagant difficulty, "Battletoads" is widely regarded as the most difficult game ever made. And the most infuriating.

My top ones:
Battletoads
Castlevania
Batman
Castle of Dragon
Golgo 13
TMNT
Friday the 13th

Yeah, Battletoads is a head ache. I would probably nominate TMNT, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden 1-3. Also, Mike Tyson Punch-Out isn't that hard.

Battletoads was tops for me. I may have only made it through the first few levels. I also second Mega Man 1 and Ninja Gaiden 1 - 3. And yeah, I agree, Punch Out should not be on that list (when stuff like Mega Man or Ninja Gaiden isn't).

Eh, Contra wasn't too bad. Play it several times through, find the safe spots, memorize. Next time through grab the Spread ASAP and keep it on you at all times and then start cycling the game with your newfound knowledge and (hopefully) skills. ;)

Bionic Commando wasn't terrible, either. If worse came to worse you could just spam the Truck stages for extra lives before hitting up the next stage. The swinging was hard at times about halfway through the game and otherwise, but regular combat was pretty simple.

But Battletoads they nailed. Oh god, that game was an ordeal. An incredible one, but an ordeal nonetheless.

I remember Mega Man being really difficult for me in addition to most from this list. I mostly stick with RPGs or RTS; I'm awful with reflex/twitch games.

Mega Man games are really difficult but not impossible. I couldn't beat them, but there are people who are hardcore and know all the patterns. Battletoads counts mostly for that horrid cycle stage. I never got past that. Contra is doable, even without the lives. Bionic Commando had a premise which is hard but workable, as proved with the remake of it. Someone has beaten Mike Tyson out there right?

Good choices, but I thought this list would be the impossible to beat due to horrible programming games like The Silver Surfer, X-men, and other broken games of that era.

Contra?! Come on, that should not make the most difficult list. No way.

I know I have Battletoads, but do not remember if I beat it or not. Punch-Out!! should not be on there either.

TMNT was pretty hard. Mega Man was hard (though I beat that). And I've never played Bionic Commando or Paperboy.

I always find Mike Tyson's punchout funny on these lists, since I could beat Mike Tyson. However, to this day, I can't beat Super Macho Man (I would use a code to get to Tyson). Sure, the bastard does only a couple of spin punches early, but knock him down twice, and then he just spins and spins until he finally hits me. 20 damn years he's been on my list, and I haven't gotten him once.

Battletoads deserves it's listing. I think Contra does if you skip the cheat code for it. Mega Man games I couldn't beat, couldn't beat Ninja Gaiden either.

[quote name='Snoozer']I am surprised I have not heard anyone mention Bayou Billy. That game can s*ck it![/QUOTE]

The Adventures of Bayou Billy? Yeah, that game was a pain in the ass...

Those are top 5. LOL. I played and beat all of them except Battletoads. Never played that one. Contra isnt hard. In fact none of them are. Everything is cake all the way up to Tyson. He can be a pain. But he has a SET pattern as someone else said. Memorize it and you got it.

Friday the 13th is Easy. IMO.

What about Back to the Future. Metal Gear wasnt easy for me. Id say Predator was harder than any of those 5 listed.

Why has no one Mentioned FESTERS QUEST. That game was a %*^&#. You die and you have to start from the begging of the game. WTF.

Im trying to think of others. Ill post when I get em.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Mega Man games are really difficult but not impossible. I couldn't beat them, but there are people who are hardcore and know all the patterns. Battletoads counts mostly for that horrid cycle stage. I never got past that. Contra is doable, even without the lives. Bionic Commando had a premise which is hard but workable, as proved with the remake of it. Someone has beaten Mike Tyson out there right?

Good choices, but I thought this list would be the impossible to beat due to horrible programming games like The Silver Surfer, X-men, and other broken games of that era.[/QUOTE]

I beat Tyson. I got the patterns down so good that I can get to Sandman without even breaking a sweat. Tyson took a LONG ass time to work though. One thing I DID Notice is that you HAVE to knock his ass down with a TKO because he ALWAYS gets the decision which is pure SHIT.

Battletoads is doable. To anyone who thinks the Turbo Tunnels stage is hard, wait till you get sucker punched with Clinger Winger. THAT level was either designed by someone who hates video games, or the devil.

Paperboy. I got to Saturday on that game. I might have actually beaten sunday, but I'm not sure if it looped. I do know that the game is way out there in bullshit though. By Wednesday or Thursday, you have hurricanes always chasing you. How the fuck do they home in on you? Why don't they bother someone else? And why do they have GPS on you as they always know when to come out and bullshit you to death.

Bionic Commando is beatable. It does take a ton of practice though. The last level is bullshit though since you have to hit him in the head at the right time otherwise it's an instant loss. Thanks.

Contra is beatable without the code as that game is nothing but memorization. Remember it and you can beat it without the code. That game has the easiest pattern to memorize out of all the others.

When I was 15, I had a perfect game of Contra. Never died. No game genie codes or anything like that, just a balls to the wall never got shot goodness. I haven't come close before that or since that. On that day, I was perfect.

For me, the hardest game I ever beat was Wonder Boy 3 for the Sega Master System. I beat it once, around the age of 11, after dying against the last boss around 100 times. I woke up in the middle of the night and needed one more try at him, and I beat him. To this day, I'm not entirely sure it wasn't a dream.

Turbo Tunnel isn't even the hardest level in Battletoads. It's just the level the overwhelming majority of people died on over and over again and eventually gave up on. Level 9, a level identical to it is much harder as it's basically you flying through small openings between lightning. Heck, level 10 is impossible to beat 2 players.

TMNT is damn hard. The Technodrome...man...the Technodrome. Just...it had to have created the premise behind Bullet Hell, especially the last cooridoor. Just...hell. Oh, and if you die, back to the very beginning of the level you go, even if you're at the Shredder.

Contra is all about patterns. You can literally memorize the stages and make it through just fine. It shouldn't be on the list. The same with Punch Out.

I agree with Battletoads, but I would add:
Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Yo Noid! - one hit death ftl
Silver Surfer or Rygar.

I'll add one more:

Blaster Master

Never could get passed the boss at the underwater stage.

A game should have to qualify as 'well produced' before it's declared 'hard.'

There are thousands of shitty games that are next to impossible to beat. Such as some mentioned here, like Bart vs. the Space Mutants, Ninja Turtles, or Yo! Noid. A really great game that is highly difficult is rare. Most of the truly insanely difficult NES games are not hard by design, but rather through shoddy production values.

I beat Tyson. I got the patterns down so good that I can get to Sandman without even breaking a sweat. Tyson took a LONG ass time to work though. One thing I DID Notice is that you HAVE to knock his ass down with a TKO because he ALWAYS gets the decision which is pure SHIT.[\b]

Actually you only need 5,000 points (maybe 6,000) to beat him by decision. It's doable. The first few times I beat him it was by decision. When I was a kid, I practiced for months. Now I can beat him by TKO in the second round everytime and never take a hit. You just have to have really good reflexes.

Bionic Commando wasn't that bad at all. I remember playing all the way through it in a single rental back in the day and I know I had friends who were able to do the same.

Contra is a breeze, as is Mike Tyson (like everyone has said, it's strictly patterns). TMNT is hard. One of the few games that I really tried to beat but never could.

Ghosts and Goblins last level is borderline impossible.

Anyone ever play Zombie Nation? Now THAT game is fucking hard.

My list...

Zombie Nation
Silver Surfer
Battletoads
Ghosts -n- Goblins
Yo Noid!

Agreeing with the fact that Contra shouldn't be on that list.

Everyone makes Contra out to be some super hard game, just get Spread + Rapid and blast the hell out of everything.

Contra 3/4 Hard mode should replace Contra.

This list sucks. I beat Tyson (still can, easily), Contra (no code) and Bionic Commando when I was a kid. I made it pretty far in Battletoads (I could never get past the level where you were holding onto the pizza cutter looking thing and had to press in the direction of the arrows on the wall). Paperboy was hard because it was designed like shit. I don't know - Battletoads would probably make my list but any "hardest games list" without Ghosts-n-Goblins is wrong. Hell, I think the original Castlevania is harder than everything on that list (other than Battletoads). The Grim Reaper sucked.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Surprised no one listed Solstice as a difficult game.[/QUOTE]

I forgot all about that one! Never made it too far into it unfortunately :cry:

[quote name='mtxbass1']
Bart vs. the Space Mutants
[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I remember finally beating that one. I don't know if it should be on a super difficult list, but it was hard.

I'm glad to see Paperboy on the list, I thought I was just really bad at it! :lol: I made it to Friday, but that is a fluke. However the guy couldn't beat Monday? really? That's just sad.

Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2. Now that's a hard game!
So is the original MegaMan. Another super tough game. Ghouls and Ghosts too.
Honourable mention goes out to Punch Out (well for me anyways) and Castlevania.

I am proud to have beaten both Mega Man 1 and Bionic Commando. That said, they are definitely hard but not in the top 5 by any means. I guess we all have experience with different games, but my top 3 off the top of my head are

Ghosts N Goblins (duh)
Battletoads
TMNT

(Dis)Honorable mention for sure:
The Immortal (assuming no cheat guide - using the wormfinder was impossible!)
Rush'N'Attack (anything past the 3rd level)
Paperboy (just cheap)
Castlevania 1

Crappy list. Great discussion. Using MSNBC as a source for any sort of videogame discussion is suspect at best. MSNBC can hardly handle real news much less a list of retro NES games.

I'd say Ninja Gaiden was the most frustrating game for me. That game literally defined hardcore.

Punch out, Paperboy, and Contra were hard games but nowhere near the top of the list.

Its hard to beat Paperboy, but it's definitely not hard to get past Monday. You should easily be able to get past Monday and Tuesday. I know I do and I'm not even good at the game. Wedenesday and Thursay are when it starts to get hard.

Wow, terrible list. I beat all of those games when I was 10 or younger. And I have never understood why Battletoads is regarded as impossible. I beat it when it was a new release with my friend. I understand it being hard, but it is not impossible at all. The biggest problem people seem to have is the hover speeders and that's my favorite part, although I hate it when I accidentally miss the warp during the fast segment at the end.

Games much more deserving than the ones listed are Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts n Goblins. Even games like Mega Man and Metal Gear are harder than four of the five listed (I'll grant that Battletoads is indeed harder), but nowhere near impossible.

Makes me wanna skip Assassins' Creed tonight and go play some NES...

[quote name='depascal22']Crappy list. Great discussion. Using MSNBC as a source for any sort of videogame discussion is suspect at best. MSNBC can hardly handle real news much less a list of retro NES games.

I'd say Ninja Gaiden was the most frustrating game for me. That game literally defined hardcore.

Punch out, Paperboy, and Contra were hard games but nowhere near the top of the list.[/QUOTE]

I didnt think the Ninja Gaiden games of today still held a lick of the ones on the NES. That damn falcon did soooo much damage and it kept respawning and flew in a wierd pattern. That game was ridiculous.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Wow, terrible list. I beat all of those games when I was 10 or younger. And I have never understood why Battletoads is regarded as impossible. I beat it when it was a new release with my friend. I understand it being hard, but it is not impossible at all. The biggest problem people seem to have is the hover speeders and that's my favorite part, although I hate it when I accidentally miss the warp during the fast segment at the end.

Games much more deserving than the ones listed are Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts n Goblins. Even games like Mega Man and Metal Gear are harder than four of the five listed (I'll grant that Battletoads is indeed harder), but nowhere near impossible.

Makes me wanna skip Assassins' Creed tonight and go play some NES...[/QUOTE]
Metal Gear was beatable....frustrating at the least but it was beatable. I still cant get past the first level of ghost and goblins.

bread's done
Back