Mugen Souls Limited Edition plus Figure Set $44.99

zipperzam

CAGiversary!
Thought you guys might want to know that NISA holiday sale is ending tomorrow 12 pm pacific time  and each order comes with The Witch and the Hundred Knight pin set. Mugen Souls limited Edition w/ figuring set is onsale for $44.99, usually $99. Or you can get just the limited edition for $39.99.

Sale Page

http://store.nisamerica.com/holiday_2013

Mugen Souls Limited Edition w/ Figurine

http://store.nisamerica.com/Sale/Mugen-Souls-Limited-Edition-plus-Figure-Set

Mugen Souls Limited Edition

http://store.nisamerica.com/Sale/Mugen-Souls-Limited-Edition

I keep asking myself: Do I really want this, given the theme/controversy of this game?

Pros: It's cheap.
Cons: It's kind of creepy.

this sale ends at noon today btw i think. Its part of their holiday sale

This is the only game i never bought from them. Didnt want to support  censorship in their ports. It did help that its a crap game too like vic said =P

Thanks op.  I was waiting til it got to low stock before i bought it at full price, but saving $20 definitely makes it worth it (and now it is at low stock anyways).

I keep asking myself: Do I really want this, given the theme/controversy of this game?

Pros: It's cheap.
Cons: It's kind of creepy.
What controversy on the game? I've played it, there's nothing creepy about it unless it's one of those "all anime / NIS stuff is creepy" kind of things.

However, I will vouch that it is one of NIS's worst games, Not Last Rebellion or Cross Edge-level of bad, but worse than Time & Eternity. And as someone who actually enjoyed Time & Eternity despite the trendy hate on the game, it makes Mugen Souls look even worse.

What controversy on the game? I've played it, there's nothing creepy about it unless it's one of those "all anime / NIS stuff is creepy" kind of things.

However, I will vouch that it is one of NIS's worst games, Not Last Rebellion or Cross Edge-level of bad, but worse than Time & Eternity. And as someone who actually enjoyed Time & Eternity despite the trendy hate on the game, it makes Mugen Souls look even worse.
It got censored before being released in US/UK. The bathing mini-game was cut out. That was the majority of it. They also made some changes to the dialogue of the Sadist character. This is from the forums:

"You see, there's a difference between making a character "explicit" and giving a character thick, "implicit" innuendo. The one in question, the Sadist personality, would just toss explicit words out that would instantly give the game an M-rating. Some words are considered as bad as an F-bomb because of how they're generally used. The quote taken is vaguely out of context because, instead of toned down, it's more like...sadistic people get more out of torturing others, which is an implicitly sexual experience. Just coming out and using harsh, direct language isn't exactly a sadist's modus operandi, therefore we chose to lace her dialogue with more innuendo instead of merely using the same crass words to describe bodily functions/activities."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/646672-mugen-souls/63112151

Last edited by a moderator:
It got censored before being released in US/UK. The bathing mini-game was cut out. That was the majority of it. They also made some changes to the dialogue of the Sadist character. This is from the forums:

"You see, there's a difference between making a character "explicit" and giving a character thick, "implicit" innuendo. The one in question, the Sadist personality, would just toss explicit words out that would instantly give the game an M-rating. Some words are considered as bad as an F-bomb because of how they're generally used. The quote taken is vaguely out of context because, instead of toned down, it's more like...sadistic people get more out of torturing others, which is an implicitly sexual experience. Just coming out and using harsh, direct language isn't exactly a sadist's modus operandi, therefore we chose to lace her dialogue with more innuendo instead of merely using the same crass words to describe bodily functions/activities."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/646672-mugen-souls/63112151
Without the edits it would have been an adult only game, which means that's most people wouldn't even be able to get it. Besides to say that you won't buy a censored game is weird, especially considering most games are cut for censorship in one way or another before they come to America or other countries.

Without the edits it would have been an adult only game, which means that's most people wouldn't even be able to get it. Besides to say that you won't buy a censored game is weird, especially considering most games are cut for censorship in one way or another before they come to America or other countries.
I don't think it's weird at all. I pretty much have the same standpoint on it, regardless of the content. If No More Heroes for PS3 would have had the blood censored like it did for the first PS3 release in JPN, I wouldn't have bought it either.

As far as the adult-only game comment.. I personally do not think that is really the case. Since NISA is localizing these games for both the US and EU regions (EU have much stricter rules and even a law against "loli" related material), I think that's really all it comes down to. One company is not going to make 2 different versions for each region.(Time, money for development, resources, $$ to resubmit the game to multiple countrys' boards if it doesn't get an 'allowable' rating). My reasoning on this is to look at the Agarest War game that got censored in EU, but was left alone for the US release. The "loli" scenes were completely cut out for the EU release, but were left in tact for the US release. The difference being that a different company localized this game for each region.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say about the matter lol. These type of topics always seem to get out of control and end up deleted anyway.

This is the first NISA special edition with a discount that I can remember. Add to that that every discussion devolves into a discussion about censorship and righteous indignation, I think this game has a special place in PS3 JRPG lore.

Well I guess I'm not meant to have this version of the game.  The NIS store keeps asking for a credit/debit card with my Paypal transaction. Wouldn't take my VISA debit card.

Yeah, the censorship and bath scene was the controversy for me.  The creepy is the sponge and towel included in the collector's edition.

This is the first NISA special edition with a discount that I can remember. Add to that that every discussion devolves into a discussion about censorship and righteous indignation, I think this game has a special place in PS3 JRPG lore.
They discounted Disgaea 4 in the past as well during the last holiday season, or maybe the one prior one, I can't quite remember which year it was exactly, but I remember passing on it. The discount wasn't nearly as good as this one though.

I don't think it's weird at all. I pretty much have the same standpoint on it, regardless of the content. If No More Heroes for PS3 would have had the blood censored like it did for the first PS3 release in JPN, I wouldn't have bought it either.

As far as the adult-only game comment.. I personally do not think that is really the case. Since NISA is localizing these games for both the US and EU regions (EU have much stricter rules and even a law against "loli" related material), I think that's really all it comes down to. One company is not going to make 2 different versions for each region.(Time, money for development, resources, $$ to resubmit the game to multiple countrys' boards if it doesn't get an 'allowable' rating). My reasoning on this is to look at the Agarest War game that got censored in EU, but was left alone for the US release. The "loli" scenes were completely cut out for the EU release, but were left in tact for the US release. The difference being that a different company localized this game for each region.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say about the matter lol. These type of topics always seem to get out of control and end up deleted anyway.
I think you ignored the major point the previous poster made. Virtually every Japanese game ever released in the United States has been edited or censored in some manner. Do you apply this same standard of refusing to buy censored games to all of them? Frankly, this particular game just drew more discussion for reasons I will never understand, but you're deluding yourself if you think that this is just one of the few that was ever censored.

I cracked after staring at it in my cart for the past half an hour or so.

I already have the game to play, so this is just to own the LE, and for $5 for the figures I might as well do it.

Well I guess I'm not meant to have this version of the game. The NIS store keeps asking for a credit/debit card with my Paypal transaction. Wouldn't take my VISA debit card.

Yeah, the censorship and bath scene was the controversy for me. The creepy is the sponge and towel included in the collector's edition.

Actually if the game is as bad as people say, the sponge and towel would come in handy to get the stink off after playing.

I think you ignored the major point the previous poster made. Virtually every Japanese game ever released in the United States has been edited or censored in some manner. Do you apply this same standard of refusing to buy censored games to all of them? Frankly, this particular game just drew more discussion for reasons I will never understand, but you're deluding yourself if you think that this is just one of the few that was ever censored.
I didn't say this was the only one. I know back in the old days, starting with the NES, many Japanese games were edited. A lot of them had pretty silly things changes too when you actually found out about them.

In this gen, any censorship/editing is usually noted somewhere (in their announcements, forums, by fans). It's not hard to find out about the changes when information is so easily available. NISA is usually very good about making it known what they are editing/censoring on their own, and if not, one of their fans/customers will ask the question in their forums anyway. I think i've seen a thread started for just about every game I've bought from them asking that question.

In general, yes I do apply this standard to all of my games, Japanese or not. I guess you'd have to throw out some examples so I know exactly what censoring you may be referring to. I know there are still some pretty silly ones that go on. FFXIII-2 had the same songs as its JPN counterpart.. but I believe one song had the lyrics removed from it for the US version. This didn't affect me though since I bought the Asian version with JPN audio/English subs. (This isn't really censorship, but more of a silly edit since the same song was still in the game.). Same goes for FFXIII.. as far as I know they had just changed some songs for the US version, but I also bought the Asian version of that game so it didn't effect me either.

I didn't say this was the only one. I know back in the old days, starting with the NES, many Japanese games were edited. A lot of them had pretty silly things changes too when you actually found out about them.

In this gen, any censorship/editing is usually noted somewhere (in their announcements, forums, by fans). It's not hard to find out about the changes when information is so easily available. NISA is usually very good about making it known what they are editing/censoring on their own, and if not, one of their fans/customers will ask the question in their forums anyway. I think i've seen a thread started for just about every game I've bought from them asking that question.

In general, yes I do apply this standard to all of my games, Japanese or not. I guess you'd have to throw out some examples so I know exactly what censoring you may be referring to. I know there are still some pretty silly ones that go on. FFXIII-2 had the same songs as its JPN counterpart.. but I believe one song had the lyrics removed from it for the US version. This didn't affect me though since I bought the Asian version with JPN audio/English subs. (This isn't really censorship, but more of a silly edit since the same song was still in the game.). Same goes for FFXIII.. as far as I know they had just changed some songs for the US version, but I also bought the Asian version of that game so it didn't effect me either.
It's not just the old days though. Many Japanese games right through the current generation have dialogue and even action or graphics that have been modified from the original. Sega censored most of the Yakuza US releases, Xenosaga was censored, Siren as released on PSN was very heavily censored. Almost everything Working Designs ever put out was not only censored, but modified to include US cultural references, many of which were really out of place. The list goes on and on. If you really are consistent and never buy any game that has been censored, then more power to you, but I suspect that most of the people complaining so loudly about the censorship on Mugen have many, many other censored games in their collection and either don't know or don't care.

bread's done
Back