Multi-platform last gen releases

harry hood

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
This feels like a bit of a strange thing to think about at this point in time, while we're entrenched deep in the current generation of videogames. But I've been thinking about this for quite some time while I've been building my collection though. Regarding the 3 last gen systems: PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, assuming you owned 2 or 3 of the bunch, which system did you buy your multi platform release games for?

I'm looking at my collection and realizing how I've done a good job choosing specific games for specific systems.

Even though Silent Hill 2 for the xbox has an extra feature or two, and 4 is out as well, I bought the series for PS2 because Silent Hill FELT like it belonged on the PS2.

On the other hand, I bought the first 2 Fatal Frames on the XBOX because of the overwhelming extra features in Crimson Butterfly, and the slight bump in graphics, and just bought the 3rd for the PS2 since it was exclusive.
I also bought games like Killer 7 and the Viewtiful Joes for the gamecube over the ps2 because I felt like it those games fit that console better.
And even though Resident Evil has been a staple for Playstation over the years, I bought the collection (largely due to an exclusivity for the ports) for the Gamecube, including 4 and CV:X, which were multiplatform. Resident Evil just started feeling like it fit the gamecube well at that point. Of course, RE5 on the Xbox360 was badass, but that's another generation right there.

It seems I've gravitated a bit more toward Xbox games because of their graphical prowess over the other two, but I've tried to do a good job maintaining collections together.
Beyond Good and Evil, Evil Deads, Indigo Prophecy, Manhunt, NHL HItz series, Psi-Ops, Psychonauts, XIII. All chosen to be bought for the XBOX. The only one I feel might present itself better on another system is XIII, due to the cel-shaded graphics, on the gamecube instead. What do you think? Possibly even BG&E, but with the amazing XBLA release, it's not so much of a big deal anymore.

So anyway, here I am, almost having completed my last gen collection, and I face 2 more decisions. Second Sight and Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, multi-platformers.
For similar games, Geist is a terrific game on the gamecube, and I'd like to believe Second Sight would play well for Nintendo's system, but Psi-Ops is great on the Xbox, that version standing out because of it's graphics. Is it just a matter of controller preference at this point?
For Shaolin Monks, I'm inclined to believe it'll look much better on the XBOX as well.

/sort of random, I know.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I bought everything for the Gamecube unless it had extra content on another system.[/QUOTE]
Why is that? I used to own second sight on the gamecube, but sold it because of a giant backlog, now I'm ready to get back into it. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to play it to see how it is on that system.

Xbox, simply because of the hdd. It was a pain having to own and swap multiple memory cards, especially early on for the GC.

9 times out of 10, multi-platform releases were better on Xbox. Most games supported progressive scan (480p) on Xbox and significantly more supported widescreen. Aside from that they often looked better anyway.

Specifically I can tell you that Second Sight and Shaolin Monks are both better on Xbox. BG&E, Indigo Prophecy, Manhunt, Psi-Ops, Psychonauts, and XIII are all superior on Xbox as well. I say this from experience: I've played all these games on multiple systems.

I don't know why you'd think the Gamecube would be better at cel-shading, there is absolutely nothing that the PS2 or Gamecube can do better than the Xbox (unless you prefer the controllers), any game that was worse on Xbox was just a bad port.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Didn't the Greatest Hits release of Silent Hill 2 for PS2 include all the extras that the Xbox version had?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']9 times out of 10, multi-platform releases were better on Xbox. Most games supported progressive scan (480p) on Xbox and significantly more supported widescreen. Aside from that they often looked better anyway.

Specifically I can tell you that Second Sight and Shaolin Monks are both better on Xbox. BG&E, Indigo Prophecy, Manhunt, Psi-Ops, Psychonauts, and XIII are all superior on Xbox as well. I say this from experience: I've played all these games on multiple systems.

I don't know why you'd think the Gamecube would be better at cel-shading, there is absolutely nothing that the PS2 or Gamecube can do better than the Xbox (unless you prefer the controllers), any game that was worse on Xbox was just a bad port.[/QUOTE]
This is good information, thanks. I only say that about XIII because I thought Killer 7 looked pretty good on the gamecube.

I didn't have an Xbox, so between the PS2 and GC, it came down to a few things:

1. Which was the lead development platform? (Killer7, for example, was intended to be a GC exclusive)

2. Which controller lends itself better to the gameplay? (I wouldn't dream of playing a game like SSX with the GC pad)

3. Will the game fit easily on a GC disc? (a game that maxed out the space on a PS2 or Xbox DVD was likely going to suffer when squeezed onto the GC's smaller discs)

[quote name='harry hood']Why is that? I used to own second sight on the gamecube, but sold it because of a giant backlog, now I'm ready to get back into it. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to play it to see how it is on that system.[/QUOTE]
The controller was my favorite and Nintendo was my favorite company so I played every release on their console. Also, Second Sight is awesome on the 'cube.

It was usually a matter of graphics vs. controls for me. Sometimes the Xbox version looked better, but the PS2 controller was preferred. But not needing memory card space on the Xbox was nice. Really, GameCube ports rarely came into it; the only ones I own are Soul Calibur 2 (for Link), and things I got super cheap like Freedom Fighters, Spy Hunter and Intellivision Lives.

Of course now, PS2 games seem to have held their value better. And since I have a first-gen PS3 with backwards compatibility, I know I can play virtually every PS2 game on it with no issues. My 360 isn't quite as reliable for BC.

bread's done
Back