Multiplatform Confusion

Buuhan1

CAGiversary!
I planned on making this thread for just this one game, but figured "hell, why not" and maybe others can use it. My confusion is, sometimes a game is preferred on one console over another. Sometimes these reasons are stated fairly loudly (Bayonetta), sometimes it's a matter of fanboys supporting their favorite console. Then there's times you plain dunno why a game on one console is preferred over another.

This is where I am with Beyond Good and Evil. I've been wanting to pick this game up for awhile, but almost always just finds it on PS2. That's fine except, it seems everyone favors the Gamecube version which is plenty more expensive. Can someone explain to my why? Currently (not counting CAG16 and EDGE) BG&E is $6 for PS2 and $15 for GC on GameStop. If there's actually no differences at all, I'd much rather grab the PS2 version... But I also don't want to grab a poorer version even if it'll only be a few bucks.

Better graphics and the game runs better on the gamecube version. Only down side is that the gamecube controller is missing the R3 button thats used to center the camera.

I can't be arsed to check, but I recall some reviews mentioning that some of the voice acting was missing from the 'cube version (limited space?).

I do remember that the Xbox version had better graphics, for what it's worth, but don't let that dissuade you from the saving a few bucks. The PS2 version looks and plays great.

I would love to hear what the technical differences are, if any, between the PS2 and Wii versions of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love (frame rate, 480p support, widescreen mode, etc.).

I have the GC version, but it's hard for me to compare becuase I've never seen or played the other versions. I remember I got the GC version because I read that it was the 'best' version of the game.

And now you can easily play it on the Wii!

Last gen I had all three consoles (this gen too), and I always bought the version of a game that looked, played, and controlled best.

However this has come back to bite me a little in that I have a bunch of games for the original Xbox that I kinda wish I bought on the PS2 or GC. It's becuase to play them now I'd have to hook up my horkin giant Xbox. My slim PS2 can be hooked up anywhere for a quick fix, and Cube games can be played on the Wii. But Microsoft did such a shit job with 360->Xbox backwards compatibility that my Xbox games are collecting dust.

Not exactly the definitive answer you were looking for (I can't compare b/c I only owned one version, which is likely the case with 99.99% of people), but I don't recall any problems with the PS2 version (no bad jaggies or framerate or tearing issues or anything).

I did enjoy the game, but I have the feeling it probably didn't age well. Not sure how I'd like it after playing more recent games.

Edit: this is referring to Beyond Good and Evil)

bread's done
Back